HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make or Break Year for Q?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Make or Break Year for Q?

If this team falters again in the first-round or doesn't make it (I think they'll make it in some fashion), I think the onus has to be on Q. In my opinion, there's no way a team with Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Seabrook, and Keith should not get to the WCQF once in three years. If they make it a third year, it's time to go. I am not a fan of his constant juggling of the lines and falling in love or hate of players. The loving in hating either rewards or punishes a player with a role they don't deserve. Whether or not Bowman and Wirtz agree with my sentiments, I believe Q needs to at least win a playoff round to be worthy of sticking around. And you are damn right the Cup from 2010 spoiled me after watching years of awful teams. Just because he won coming on three years ago doesn't mean that should give him a three-plus-year window of slack because he was the coach of a championship team. It's time for Q to lead these guys. There is plenty of talent on this team to make a deep run. He needs to get them pointed in the right direction and possess them with the right amount of discipline to work our way toward making something magical happen again.

Thoughts?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I would say no playoffs or early exit and it is over for Q

But if he takes Hawks into 2nd round and beyond he will be safe

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I kind of alluded to this and agree.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 01-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Sevanston

Quote:

Bingo.

All we have to do is get out of the 1st round and Q's job is safe.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Cullksinikers

Totally agree with the first-round being the purgatory for Q.

It's been more like hell for us the last three years for us (Nashville series was a scare to say the least).

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Yeah, agree with him needing to win a round, but that definitely doesn't mean I want him gone if that doesn't happen. If goaltending is the problem and it goes unaddressed, then Bowman should go.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I kind of eluded to this and agree.
Think you meant alluded.

I agree with the general consensus. Unless he wins the Presidents' trophy or something, a first-round exit means goodbye to Q.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Think you meant alluded.

I agree with the general consensus. Unless he wins the Presidents' trophy or something, a first-round exit means goodbye to Q.
Yeah, I didn't have to dodge anyone or anything to make these posts.

Thanks. I am a grammar Nazi.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I think Q's situation is a lot like Lovie Smiths was for the Bears. He had the cup year which was like the Superbowl year for the bears and kept him around. Now he's got a team with enough talent to compete with anyone (more talent than the Bears for their respective sport), but the special teams and line juggling is costing them, and that falls on Q and the rest of the coaching staff. If you ask me, I think he needs to go unless he makes it to the WCF.

I'd add more to relate Q to Lovie, but don't want to type a blog on my phone. Might add more thoughts later.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I think Q's situation is a lot like Lovie Smiths was for the Bears. He had the cup year which was like the Superbowl year for the bears and kept him around. Now he's got a team with enough talent to compete with anyone (more talent than the Bears for their respective sport), but the special teams and line juggling is costing them, and that falls on Q and the rest of the coaching staff. If you ask me, I think he needs to go unless he makes it to the WCF.

I'd add more to relate Q to Lovie, but don't want to type a blog on my phone. Might add more thoughts later.
Well good news for Q is that unlike Lovie he has a ring to show for his run

Also he doesn't have statements like "Huet is my Goalie" that show his incompetance in such a frank worthy way

Rex is our QB

Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Well good news for Q is that unlike Lovie he has a ring to show for his run

Also he doesn't have statements like "Huet is my Goalie" that show his incompetance in such a frank worthy way

Rex is our QB
I would say his blind support of Kitchen is akin to Lovie's infamous statements about Rex.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I would say his blind support of Kitchen is akin to Lovie's infamous statements about Rex.
Good point

Old
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
BobbyJet

I’ll give Q 15 games into this season. That may be too many to salvage anything this season but if we continue to see the same old tired hockey, and lousy specialty teams, can him and bring in a new face from outside the organization…. and get some momentum for 2013-2014. Alas, it won’t happen.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
xX Hot Fuss

The whole coaching staff will need to go this season if...

-The Powerplay is NOTICEABLY better: With the talent on this roster i have to believe that the Hawks having the 27th worst PP in the league last year is the same as them having the 30th worst PP in the league. The problems are/were almost entirely coaching related.

-The Penalty Kill: Same as above. With Toews, Sharp, Bolland, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, our PK should be near elite. Not the disaster that it was last year

-Cannot handle an extended road trip or sees another huge losing streak: No excuse for that gigantic streak last year. Its not like the Hawks were in a bunch of close games that could've went either way. They were bad and it was embarrassing. Most of us dont realize but if the Hawks went .500 in that streak they could have been battling it out for #2 in the West and the Division.

-Defensive Scheme/Puck Possession: The Hawks aren't the Blues or the Coyotes, they aren't going to win with their defense, especially not with their goaltending. The solution to this is to get back to puck possession hockey that won us the cup. We have the talented roster to do this. We dont have to be more physical, we dont need to trap, we dont need to trade Kane for a defensman or goalie. The Hawks just need to play their games like how this team was constructed to play them. High octane offense manufactured by puck possession.

Coach Quenville needs to realize these things. Everyone gets a pass in 2010-11 due to the cup hangover and depleted roster but 2011-12 should have never happened. Every other fanbase should be terrified of this team but (justifiably so) it seems like other fanbases think we're nothing but a 4-6 seed that is good offensively but has huge holes defensively and in net. Q needs to realize this and go back to how they played in 08/09 and 09/10. If he does not, Q and all of his cronies need to be removed.

*Q Keeping Kitchen and firing Haviland is so eerily similar to Lovie firing Rivera and bringing in his guy, and then keeping Martz. Its disgusting.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
madgoat33

q also sucks at picking assistants

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:23 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I’ll give Q 15 games into this season. That may be too many to salvage anything this season but if we continue to see the same old tired hockey, and lousy specialty teams, can him and bring in a new face from outside the organization…. and get some momentum for 2013-2014. Alas, it won’t happen.
Well, what are your expectations for this team? Anything is possible in a short season, but it is still a 5th-8th seed in terms of talent IMO. A couple tweeks to critical areas such as goaltending and centermen and the sky is the limit but those are fatal flaws.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
I'd like to see him gone this summer if the Hawks blow it but I think realistically he'll get next year as well.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Q may be gone after that early road trip. He was on the hot seat last year and nearly was fired. Special teams have to improve and we need to win a round in the POs. His job would be safe then - if he isn't fired before

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
If we are out of the playoff picture at that time the heat will be on. I am sure Bowman cannot wait for the opportunity to can him.

Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i don't mind Q himself as a coach that much - but imo bringing kitchen back was inexcusable. he made a stink about finally having the opportunity to choose his own staff - and he chose the architect of the most inexcusably bad PP in the league.

after that, i'm not willing to cut him much slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Q may be gone after that early road trip. He was on the hot seat last year and nearly was fired. Special teams have to improve and we need to win a round in the POs. His job would be safe then - if he isn't fired before
Even if things go south quickly, i'm doubtful they'd fire him midway through a shortened season. i'd rather we just play it out, for better or worse, with the status quo - and if a replacement has to be made do it in the offseason when other teams are making staffing changes and someone decent may come available.

as an aside - anyone more clued have any thoughts about what good coaches are or may become available in the offseason?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

a recently fired coach won't be better than Q...

we are at a status quo with Q. Last 2 years were not good enough. The talent and the end result are not even. No reason the have such bad Special teams, so many underachieving players on the ice.

IF things go south early, you will have the chance to hire a good coach who wasn't really involved that much on the lockout like the 30 coaches have been. Q is a good coach, just not a fit for this team anymore. I say it's a make or break year for Q and his assistant coaches. Don't forget that the best we could add was Kompon. Reason was that no coach wanted to join Q on the hot seat.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
hockeydoug

It's going to be a tough decision since so much of this season depends on how the players prepared the last 4 months. Unless special teams are horrid and he has a less than .550 pt%, I don't think they're going to let him go unless a candidate that they've been waiting on becomes available.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Actually, I think he's safe so long as he even gets close to the playoffs. May not be a popular opinion, but if the Hawks finish 10th or above, I think he gets retained regardless.

And if we make it in, I think there's zero chance that he gets let go.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
HawksFan37

Should have been fired last season.

But it appears that he won the apparent power struggle in the front office and got to axe Havy and bring in Kompon. It's all on his shoulders now. If they do well, he stays. If not, he was given the noose to hang himself.

I wish that I could say that he could be gone after 15 games if the special teams are crap again and the defensive system this team plays is horrible, but I'm thinking he's here all year with it being a short season.

HawksFan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:46 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Is there even enough talent in the coaching pool to justify firing Q? I know Quenville has issues but he's too good of a coach to get rid of just for the sake of getting rid of him.

Dont throw away dirty water until you have clean water

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote