HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Goaltending

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM
  #26
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,631
vCash: 500
As a long time fan of the Ottawa Senators franchise watching greats like Mike Bales, Craig Billington, and Don Beaupre, we should do the opposite. Trade for more goalies. I want a goalie lineup of Anderson-Luongo-Bishop-Lehner. Then draft 3 more this year and find guys in Europe.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
  #27
Sensbrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Anderson was terrific for us from roughly the mid-point of last season until our eventual playoff exit. The only blemish on his record last year was that he was a bit hot and cold to start... but given he missed a few games early for "personal reasons" who is to say that is entirely his fault? Perhaps there were off-ice family matters or similar issues impacting his play. I am not making excuses for his mediocre start but it is a possibility. And again, he had a great year overall. Better than the numbers would indicate I would argue. I felt more confident in him than any Sens goalie in history not named Hasek. And Lalime and Emery had some pretty decent years.

I can't believe some are even entertaining the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter how impressive Lehner has been in the AHL.... Sens fans should know better than anyone that you don't move proven, high-caliber NHL goaltending without a sure-fire replacement in line unless other circumstances are at play (e.g. the contract is simply too hefty, they are old enough that it is simply time to groom the replacement, etc).

Sensbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
  #28
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor
 
nanuuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Estonia
Posts: 4,264
vCash: 500
Anderson-Bishop this year
Bishop-Lehner next year

__________________
Hrundi Bakshi (Peter Sellers) in the movie The PartyWisdom is the province of the aged, BUT the heart of a child is pure!!
nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
  #29
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 12,307
vCash: 265
Lehner is better than Bishop

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
  #30
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 860
I think we should keep Andy around for a bit.

We've been known for having goaltender issues. We finally found a goalie who had a very solid year and a great playoffs for us, in Anderson. Now we should think about trading him to run with two goaltenders who are unproven at the NHL level?

Keep Anderson this year and have an Anderson/Bishop tandem. Next year, if Lehner keeps up his play for the rest of the year, run with a Anderson/Lehner tandem and start Lehner for 25-30 games. If Lehner looks like he can handle it, let him fight Anderson for the starting job in training camp the next year.

Don't know what happens with Bishop in all of this. But I think we need to stick with Anderson until Lehner forces him out. No need to rush our top goalie prospect.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
  #31
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,429
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensbrah View Post
Anderson was terrific for us from roughly the mid-point of last season until our eventual playoff exit. The only blemish on his record last year was that he was a bit hot and cold to start... but given he missed a few games early for "personal reasons" who is to say that is entirely his fault? Perhaps there were off-ice family matters or similar issues impacting his play. I am not making excuses for his mediocre start but it is a possibility. And again, he had a great year overall. Better than the numbers would indicate I would argue. I felt more confident in him than any Sens goalie in history not named Hasek. And Lalime and Emery had some pretty decent years.

I can't believe some are even entertaining the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter how impressive Lehner has been in the AHL.... Sens fans should know better than anyone that you don't move proven, high-caliber NHL goaltending without a sure-fire replacement in line unless other circumstances are at play (e.g. the contract is simply too hefty, they are old enough that it is simply time to groom the replacement, etc).
I think a lot of people forget how absolutely brutal our D was for the first half dozen games or so. Made it really tough on Andy.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
  #32
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I love how discriminatory this board is - Andy has played his ass off to get us in the playoffs but he's not Swedish (Amerikan - even worse) so he should be traded and then we put our hopes in a kid. Why can't we just appreciate Andy and his veteran leadership and experience? If Andy starts off the season 1-10 then so be it, but he's played better, especially vs NYR, than Lehner ever could on his best day.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
  #33
wilfred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Bunswick
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
anderson/bishop lehner stays down

Bishop plays 10 games(out of 30 ish) before the trade deadline in NHL, Sens hope that a few NHL goalies are struggling/Injured. Bishop is traded at the deadline.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
  #34
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,133
vCash: 500
We have good goaltending in both systems. I'll go with that.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
  #35
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
I hope Andy is ready to go. If not i could see Bishop being thrown into the mix without hesitation.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
  #36
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Don't trade anybody.

Andy gets 2/3 of the starts.

Bishop and Lehner fight it out for the remaining games.

If either impresses, they get the 2/3 and Andy gets the rest.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
  #37
MiscBrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Why are you guys so obsessed with only having 2 goalies? Having three goalies is the best situation. Their ages are separated perfectly so that as one retires the next will be ready to take over.

I get that you want to see our big prospect Lehner finally come of age but there is no need to rush things. Bishop spent how many years down in the minors and he's an amazing goalie!

Lehner is fine for the next couple of years. He's not going to get worse.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:13 PM
  #38
metalfoot
Karlsson!
 
metalfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Yes, please, let's keep it the way it is. Three capable NHL-calibre goalies is a good problem to have.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
  #39
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
Anderson-Bishop this year
Bishop-Lehner next year
Couldn't resist it could you?

I knew you'd be back.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:03 PM
  #40
Orr123
Registered User
 
Orr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,331
vCash: 500
I feel like trading Andy would just cause more headache.

I don't necessarily feel he's one of the best. But he is good enough, as well as he is a veteren goaltender. Honestly, I was worried last year when he went down.

Minus the first month, Andy was solid for us in net. He was great with the young kids and teaching as well.

I'm always tenative with young goalies, and think getting rid of Andy would put too much pressure on the two. I do think Lehner could handle that, but I think he needs to put in the hard work in the AHL first (I think last year he let it go a bit, but this year he's back in full force, and should be that way for a year).

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
  #41
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront
 
QuietOnTheFront's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Anderson and Bishop in the NHL and Lehner playing loads of games in the AHL. Only move either Anderson or Bishop if the offer is too good to refuse. Otherwise keep both and continue on as the organization develops its solid goaltending depth.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:32 AM
  #42
Hutz
Classless User
 
Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I love how discriminatory this board is - Andy has played his ass off to get us in the playoffs but he's not Swedish (Amerikan - even worse) so he should be traded and then we put our hopes in a kid. Why can't we just appreciate Andy and his veteran leadership and experience? If Andy starts off the season 1-10 then so be it, but he's played better, especially vs NYR, than Lehner ever could on his best day.
I don't think it's anything to do with nationality. It's the 'new toy' phenomenon. Same thing would happen if Anderson were Canadian and Lehner Russian.

That said, as others have pointed out, we have one of the best goaltending situations in franchise history. We have 3 goalies who've all had a great 2012 and all look like potential starting goalies in the NHL. After waiting for so long for just this kind of organizational competition, why would we get rid of it right away??

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
  #43
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
1) Whine about the GM for lack of goaltending
2) GM fixes the problem
3) Whine about the GM for too much goaltending depht

Rinse a repeat. Some people just can't be satisfied with anything.

/human nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I think a lot of people forget how absolutely brutal our D was for the first half dozen games or so. Made it really tough on Andy.
Great point.. new players, new coaching staff... system was non-existent in those first 6 games

Andy stats without those games would look very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
I don't think it's anything to do with nationality. It's the 'new toy' phenomenon. Same thing would happen if Anderson were Canadian and Lehner Russian.

That said, as others have pointed out, we have one of the best goaltending situations in franchise history. We have 3 goalies who've all had a great 2012 and all look like potential starting goalies in the NHL. After waiting for so long for just this kind of organizational competition, why would we get rid of it right away??
Because we had to pay a lot to get it!

Elliott and two 2nd round picks! We can't afford to wait anymore! Let's trade them all fast because in 15 years they won't have any value left! Let's get more draft picks

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
  #44
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,806
vCash: 500
I have the feeling Lehner will not want to stay in Binghamton next year. He'll have paid his dues amd want a shot.

Could be trouble if Murray decides to keep all three.

That said if Anderson gets an injury, we are still fine.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
  #45
General Granny*
 
General Granny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
"@AJonSports: MacLean says Craig Anderson is the #1 goalie. Has confidence in Bishop and Lehner with how they've played in AHL. Says best guy will play."


He also says under 30 players at camp.

So what happens with Bishop if Lehner out plays him in camp.

My ideal situation would be for Andy/ Bishop at the start then one of them traded at deadline and bring up Lehner then.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  #46
Anca18
Registered User
 
Anca18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 928
vCash: 200
IMO, we should stick with Andy/Big Ben in the NHL for at least until the trade deadline, whenever that will be. Even then, I'd hope Ben won't be shopped and I would be disappointed if we trade Andy as I believe he will be a great mentor in terms of mental discipline for Lehner.

In short, Andy/Bishop = NHL + Lehner = AHL until the trade deadline at least if not the whole season, trade Bishop at the deadline if we get offers, then shop Bishop in the summer and go with Andy/Lehner for 2013-14.

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
  #47
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™
 
John Holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 87
I'll listen to the coach.

John Holmes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  #48
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,743
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
IMO, we should stick with Andy/Big Ben in the NHL for at least until the trade deadline, whenever that will be. Even then, I'd hope Ben won't be shopped and I would be disappointed if we trade Andy as I believe he will be a great mentor in terms of mental discipline for Lehner.

In short, Andy/Bishop = NHL + Lehner = AHL until the trade deadline at least if not the whole season, trade Bishop at the deadline if we get offers, then shop Bishop in the summer and go with Andy/Lehner for 2013-14.
Agreed I think if Ottawa cannot hold onto to Bishop going into the 2013/2014 season, and he plays well this season, then they have to move him at the deadline. Giving up a second is a lot so I would like to see something come back in return instead of Bishop walking in July.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  #49
sensR4real
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I put this in the Lockout over thread, but I'll bring it over here:
Lehner has played the majority of games in Bingo. Judging by his last performance (43 saves), he seems ready to go! Some goalies are ready at a young age. Andy and Bishop are both rusty to start the season.

sensR4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
  #50
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
I agree with Maindot. You don't rely on an American goalie as your #1 if you have a perfectly good Swede in the wings.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.