HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Rumor: WPG/CJB swap for partial season before full realignment

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
One thing to consider in all this "swap Winnipeg for Detroit/Columbus and be done with it" talk:

I'm pretty sure if you injected Mark Chipman with truth syrum he'd tell you the Jets don't mind playing in the East for as long as they can.
In one article I remember, Chipman was quoted as preferring to be in a more Central Division with..

Winnipeg
Minnesota
St. Louis
Dallas
Nashville

It was more to do with playing the teams in your own time zone as much as possible, than a problem being in the Eastern Conference.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Now of course geography does dictate that Winnipeg will eventually go to the West, and Chipman does know that too. But the Jets are not in a rush to do it.
The problem is that anything west of the eastern time zone is considered west. However, there are 4 time zones(and only once conference spans all of them), and if you divide that in half, then Winnipeg would be in the eastern half. At the very least, they're in the central, which is closer to the east than the west. Winnipeg I believe is closer to the Pacific ocean than the Atlantic, but there is an extra time zone difference. As we know, time zones are a big deal. Even one team one time zone away is a huge inconvenience for eastern teams.

The league is divided into east and anything west of the eastern time zone(with exceptions), because the league obviously needs at least one 7pm team in the finals, preferably from the northeast corridor, which is why they stuck all the expansion teams in the SE division(sorry Washington) so they wouldn't have to deal with them too much.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The problem is that anything west of the eastern time zone is considered west. However, there are 4 time zones (and only one conference spans all of them), and if you divide that in half, then Winnipeg would be in the eastern half. At the very least, they're in the central, which is closer to the east than the west.
As we know, time zones are a big deal. Even one team one time zone away is a huge inconvenience for eastern teams.

The league is divided into east and anything west of the eastern time zone (with exceptions), because the league obviously needs at least one 7pm ETZ team in the finals, preferably from the northeast corridor, which is why they stuck all the expansion teams in the SE division (sorry Washington) so they wouldn't have to deal with them too much.
Gotta watch it for only making a gft post (being serious, not sarcastic), but man you stated a good bit of truth in that post. I added in specifier with the second bolded part (because of course every TZ has a 7pm).

There seems to be a few Kings fans around here that I regularly agree with on a number of topics. I may have to do a little sociological investigation to see if I can discover why.

The whole NHL is designed for the convenience of the northeastern region. But fans from that area will argue that,... 'rightly so, since the population is there.'... Regardless of the fact that the US-Canadian center of population is more in the region of St Louis.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Winnipeg I believe is closer to the Pacific ocean than the Atlantic
By 15km ( 9 miles ) as the crow flies

Old
01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Winnipeg I believe is closer to the Pacific ocean than the Atlantic, but there is an extra time zone difference.
Winnipeg to Vancouver Route Details Total Distance between them: 1863.79 km

Winnipeg to Montreal Route Details Total Distance between them: 1823.41 km

Montreal is as basically far east as the NHL goes while staying close to the same latitude. Winnipeg is as close to the middle as it gets, the prime meridian (geographic centre of Canada) is about 5 miles outside of Winnipeg. Distance isn't the big thing for the Jets, someone last season figured out that the travel distance was roughly the same for the team if they were in the SE or a western division. There were long hauls to get to the roadtrips, but after that the distances were shorter and made up the difference.

I personally liked having the earlier road games to watch with the kids, but long term a central division would be best, WPG, MIN, CHI, STL, DAL under the current 6 division layout or something similar if they change it up.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:53 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Colorado has made it clear they don't want to be in a division with 4 Canadian teams.
29 - 1 vote. Stop *****ing. (The Avs, not you Marc)

Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
JetsFlyHigh

If you put Detroit in the East, would they go to SE division or move one from Atlantic division?

Columbus could easily join the Southeast without overlapping any NHL market. But Detroit in the SE would boost the other market's attendance.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
If you put Detroit in the East, would they go to SE division or move one from Atlantic division?

Columbus could easily join the Southeast without overlapping any NHL market. But Detroit in the SE would boost the other market's attendance.
Regardless of who moves, if the NHL keeps the current alignment format, they'll be put in the SE. No way that they're breaking up the all-hallowed Atlantic.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
boredmale

Wouldn't it make more sense switching Nashville and Winnipeg? The put Minnesota in Nashville's division and Winnipeg in Minnesota's Division?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Mike Louis

On account of the BOG politics involved in realignment it would be better to just stick with the current setup for this shortened season. Once next season rolls around, the league can go to the four conference alignment. My only suggestion is that they move Florida and Tampa Bay to the Norris (Central) Conference and Minnesota and Winnipeg to the Adams (Northeast) Conference. This way Detroit and Columbus would have some ETZ company; Florida and Tampa have divisional games against O6 Chicago and Detroit; Winnipeg would have games against Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa with nearby Minnesota as a bonus; Last but not least Minnesota wouldn't be stuck in an all-Canadian division.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think I understand management's desire to lower travel costs, but why would CBJ fans be in favor of a move to the Eastern Conference, and SE Division? The Michigan/Ohio hate adds some spice right now, there's some rapport with the Nashville fans. Plus, the entire history has been with the western grouping.
I think we have a bigger rivalry with Pittsburgh than we do with Detroit, to be honest. I think most CBJ fans favor a move east.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I'd switch Winnipeg and Nashville, myself.

01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
So was this rumor true?

01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So was this rumor true?
Apparently not. According to reports this morning, no kind of realignment was discussed at all. That will be decided at a later date -- I believe there will be a joint NHL-NHLPA committee to discuss the situation. I think it was John Shannon who mentioned that several such joint committees would be set up to deal with situations like International hockey, realignment, and so forth.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So was this rumor true?
I don't think anyone is entirely sure yet. Heard a lot of absolutely not, but heard the same thing about full realignment for 13-14 which now is reported to be a possibility. I think we're just going to have to wait for the schedule to come out.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Louis View Post
On account of the BOG politics involved in realignment it would be better to just stick with the current setup for this shortened season. Once next season rolls around, the league can go to the four conference alignment. My only suggestion is that they move Florida and Tampa Bay to the Norris (Central) Conference and Minnesota and Winnipeg to the Adams (Northeast) Conference. This way Detroit and Columbus would have some ETZ company; Florida and Tampa have divisional games against O6 Chicago and Detroit; Winnipeg would have games against Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa with nearby Minnesota as a bonus; Last but not least Minnesota wouldn't be stuck in an all-Canadian division.
This is so beyond unlikely to occur. lol

Old
01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
This is so beyond unlikely to occur. lol
Don't wish to create a big realignment debate about this, but one question:
If there is a change in the realignment proposal from a year ago, what change would you imagine might be possible to happen? Or more specifically, in direct response to your post: What change might be the most or more "likely"?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Mike Louis

Taking into account all the political business and the elephant in the room called the Coyotes, the realignment proposal approved by the BOG sans Winnipeg/Minnesota and Florida/Tampa Bay was the best the league could come up with.

As for Florida and Tampa Bay, they might have been put in the Patrick (Atlantic). However it would've cost Bettman Washington's vote since the Capitals had been trying to get back in with their rivals in the Patrick.

I therefore put them in the Norris (Central) because it would give Detroit and Columbus some ETZ company. The main beef Detroit and Columbus have with their current conference alignment is they play too many games in the Pacific and Mountain time zones and barely any games in their own time zone. With the new four conference alignment schedule, putting Florida and Tampa Bay in the Norris will result in half of Detroit's and Columbus's conference games being in their own time zone.

In the case of Winnipeg, I simply don't think it wise leaving them as only Canadian team in the Norris. Putting them in the Adams (Northeast) with the eastern Canadian teams will not only help them with gate and TV revenues, it would also keep going through customs to a minimum. Minnesota is along for the ride as a local driving distance rival.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The severe lack of geographic balance in the NHL can only be redressed with the proposal the NHL made last year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The severe lack of geographic balance in the NHL can only be redressed with the proposal the NHL made last year.
I don't know if it was the only solution but I happened to like the proposal.

Given the current locations of the current 30 franchises, someone is going to feel like they're getting the short end of the stick.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The structure of that realignment proposal had very little to do with "geographic balance".

Old
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Personally, I am against switching Winnipeg out of the SE Division for one reason only, that we were at one point in first place within this Division and the Division we would be moving too is much tougher than the SE.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Personally, I am against switching Winnipeg out of the SE Division for one reason only, that we were at one point in first place within this Division and the Division we would be moving too is much tougher than the SE.
I just think it'd be hilarious to see a "Southeast Division Champions" banner hanging in Winnipeg, of all places

Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Louis View Post
In the case of Winnipeg, I simply don't think it wise leaving them as only Canadian team in the Norris. Putting them in the Adams (Northeast) with the eastern Canadian teams will not only help them with gate and TV revenues, it would also keep going through customs to a minimum. Minnesota is along for the ride as a local driving distance rival.
What? Winnipeg is an all or nothing type of situation...they need demand to be very high for tickets, if it is not, they will not succeed. That means just as high for -30 Tuesday night game against Florida as other games, like Canadian teams. If they start getting into trouble playing 1/2 extra games a year against Toronto and Montreal will not make a difference...it's plain stupid to put Winnipeg in anything but a central division, IMO, with Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, etc. That's where Winnipeg fits naturally culturally and geographically, a mid west team. Who cares CAN-US thing, I know the Jets don't since Jets management is the one pushing for them to end up as the only Canadian team in a central division. That's where they belong and the sooner they get there, the better, to start developing our rivalries with Minnesota (mostly), Chicago(particularly right now with the high Winnipeg content on that team) and perhaps even St. Louis.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I just think it'd be hilarious to see a "Southeast Division Champions" banner hanging in Winnipeg, of all places

"Southeast (of Edmonton) Division Champions"

Closed Thread