HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would be surprised if he got more than $4.6-5M, and while he's a very good defenseman he isn't our best.
Agreed. I could see him getting $5.5 from Vancouver just because of his UFA status and age but anymore than that and it could get interesting come deadline day. I don't see how Vancouver can allow a young asset like Edler to walk away for nothing.

I also agree that he isn't our best Dman. Maybe #2 but probably 3rd. And when playoff time comes around he seems to disappear and play his worst hockey. I put Hamhuis and Bieksa ahead of Edler.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I'm not a big fan of Bailey, but if you make it Nielson instead I would probably go for that (either one).
I think there is a very big difference in how the isles view Bailey and how they view Frans Nielsen.

Bailey's an inconsistent 23 yr old, who's looking over his shoulder. He's in the last yr of a 2 yr, show me contract. Bailey's reportedly going to get a long look at 2nd line lw, alongside Nielsen and KO. Imo he has this season and maybe next season to earn that long term deal he wants or he'll be bumped by younger and cheaper kids.

Frans Nielsen wears an A. He's a favorite of the coaches and Snow. If Frans is in the trade, then the isles would not offer an A prospect like Strome/Reinhart. They'd offer a B prospect like Kabanov/Mayfield.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think with their defense overhauled and Nabokov getting the bulk of the starts, the isles 1st will be closer to the 10th-12th range, instead of the top 5.

That's still a very good pick, but not in the Jones/McKinnon/Barkov range.

As for Strome...there's speculation that he's headed to Tavares' wing. Pronman wrote that it'd be a waste to move him to the wing.
If you're confident, that's fine. I think that's the best offer I've seen for Edler, and even though it's future oriented, I can't turn that down.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Strome(or switch Kesler and Strome)
Higgins-Bailey/Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

as a forward group, and likely a player like Nichushkin or Ristolainen or Pulock would be too much to pass on. And I think there would be a reasonable chance it does end up being a top-5 pick.

Trade Luongo for a defenseman, and we would be set both now and the future.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Edler is a pending UFA, why wouldn't the Isles just wait until the offseason to try and sign him? Maybe throw the Canucks a 4th rounder to get a couple of days of negotiating rights before July 1st?

I don't see Snow making any major moves until the season is over considering there are several players that need to prove themselves this season - namely Bailey.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Edler is a pending UFA, why wouldn't the Isles just wait until the offseason to try and sign him? Maybe throw the Canucks a 4th rounder to get a couple of days of negotiating rights before July 1st?

I don't see Snow making any major moves until the season is over considering there are several players that need to prove themselves this season - namely Bailey.

Signing Edler as a ufa, would be ideal for the Isles and Isle fans. Get the player, without moving any of the isles top young talent. But, even on a crowded ufa market, he'll get plenty of interest because he'll be one of the best players.

Kesler's recovery from his wrist and shoulder surgery, is slower then expected. He's months away from coming back. What if this trade+ extension was made at the start of this season, instead of the trade deadline?

Both teams increase their chances of making the 2012-2013 playoffs. The isles have a defensive partner for Hamonic for the next 4-6 season.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
wej20

Don't see the Isles being able to sign if he makes it to UFA, too much competition.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Signing Edler as a ufa, would be ideal for the Isles and Isle fans. Get the player, without moving any of the isles top young talent. But, even on a crowded ufa market, he'll get plenty of interest because he'll be one of the best players.

Kesler's recovery from his wrist and shoulder surgery, is slower then expected. He's months away from coming back. What if this trade+ extension was made at the start of this season, instead of the trade deadline?

Both teams increase their chances of making the 2012-2013 playoffs. The isles have a defensive partner for Hamonic for the next 4-6 season.
I get where you're going, but do you honestly believe Snow would make a move like this? I surely don't considering his track record. If a move is made, I could see something happening at the trade deadline only if the Isles are legitimately in striking distance of a playoff spot.

Some of the names being mentioned (Strome is NOT available btw) are players that either have this season to prove they are a part of the future (it's going to be a put up or shut up year for Bailey) or are already important pieces going forward - Frans.

I've said it several times, but I don't see Snow having an issue with the potential numbers game until this coming offseason at the earliest.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Don't see the Isles being able to sign if he makes it to UFA, too much competition.
It will be a difficult sell, but the move to Brooklyn could play a factor here. The Isles have been cap floor dwellers for quite a while now and have the space to really make a splash in the UFA waters after this season. I think they are also getting Revenue Sharing now.

Of course it's up to Wang to green light such expenditures, but he has done it in the past when he first took over the Isles. I could see him making a splash to drum up interest when the they do move to the Barclay's.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
I wouldn't trade Hamonic, even for 4-5 yrs of a signed Edler.

Yes, Edler's a star, but Hamonic's a developing young star and will be on a very reasonable new contract for several more yrs. I think the only 2 untouchables on the NYI should be Tavares and Hamonic.

How about the choice of

1st rounder+ Strome+ Bailey?

1st rounder+Reinhart+ Bailey?
I would do either of those trades, preferably Strome though. How about we let Snow work out an extension with Edler first before pulling the trigger on this deal?

01-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would do either of those trades, preferably Strome though. How about we let Snow work out an extension with Edler first before pulling the trigger on this deal?
That was his premise, I believe.

If there weren't an agreed upon extension Snow should be fired.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I get where you're going, but do you honestly believe Snow would make a move like this? I surely don't considering his track record. If a move is made, I could see something happening at the trade deadline only if the Isles are legitimately in striking distance of a playoff spot.

Some of the names being mentioned (Strome is NOT available btw) are players that either have this season to prove they are a part of the future (it's going to be a put up or shut up year for Bailey) or are already important pieces going forward - Frans.

I've said it several times, but I don't see Snow having an issue with the potential numbers game until this coming offseason at the earliest.
I don't think Snow would trade for a soon to be ufa Edler, based on Snow's track record, whether the isles are in the playoff mix or not.

Snow has not traded significant trade chips for a soon to be ufa, since the 2007 trade deadline.

However, I'd like to thnk that with the arena issue settled, that Wang's ready to open his checkbook again. Snow talks about how he's gathered enough prospects, that he can trade some if the right deal comes along. Yeah, losing one of Reinhart or Strome would hurt, along with the 1st rounder.

But, Brock Nelson and Sundstrom both have 2nd line center potential.
If Reinhart was the one dealt, the isles would have a fairly young core of Edler, Hamonic and MacDonald at the nhl level and prospects De Haan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pelech in the pipeline.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
See Brent Burns trade for benchmark.
Burns had a whole year left on his contract, but I'd say similar value is fair.

A young 2nd/3rd line tweener, a B prospect, and a very late first. None of this Bailey+Strome (a blue chipper)+NYI 1st (which unless the Isles make the playoffs could be a lottery pick, under the new CBA) for a guy that will probably only play 48 games with the Isles.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

A young 2nd/3rd line tweener, a B prospect, and a very late first. None of this Bailey+Strome (a blue chipper)+NYI 1st (which unless the Isles make the playoffs could be a lottery pick, under the new CBA) for a guy that will probably only play 48 games with the Isles.
Charlie Coyle was not a B prospect.

Setoguchi > Bailey
Strome/Reinhart > Coyle
1st > 1st

So it's still more than Burns got, but not that much. I agree it's likely overpayment though.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I don't see how that makes any significant difference. What's your reasoning? I think if both players are available at the start of training camp, all throughout the regular season, and up to the end of the playoffs, it shouldn't really matter how many games the regular season is. It's an interesting topic to ponder.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

You haven't followed Snow's trade history or comments much?

There is no way that Snow would trade such top trade chips, for 48 games of anybody.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
GoTeamDom

I do the Bailey/Strome/1st deal.
Re-tool the forwards for the post-Sedin era. Which isn't even for another 5-8 years.

Trade Luongo for prospects and move around whatever pieces to get a young defenseman-of-the-future.

Good work team. I'll get Mike Gillis on the phone.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
You haven't followed Snow's trade history or comments much?
No, because actively searching out and giving attention to comments made by a lottery team not in my conference isn't a priority of mine.

Quote:
There is no way that Snow would trade such top trade chips, for 48 games of anybody.
Well that's the point, the Isles won't be trading for Edler.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
No, because actively searching out and giving attention to comments made by a lottery team not in my conference isn't a priority of mine.

Well let me help you, since I do pay attention to Snow

He doesn't trade top youngters or first rounders in short term moves.

He says repeatedly, that trades have to make sense for both the short term and the longterm.

PWJunior is correct, we are more likely see Snow offer a 4th rounder for a few days
negotiating rights before July 1st, then see a major trade between these two teams.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I want Marty Hanzal.
Hanzal...

So hot right now.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Oh god no.
What is wrong with the value?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
NYVanfan

so, canucks are rebuilding now?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
so, canucks are rebuilding now?
When the main piece is an NHL-ready blue chip prospect, I'd say it's more like re-tooling.

Think Mike Richards to LA kind of thing.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
When the main piece is an NHL-ready blue chip prospect, I'd say it's more like re-tooling.

Think Mike Richards to LA kind of thing.
are we LA in the Richards scenario?
feels like we're Philly

call me crazy, but dumping your top minute man and top PP min dman doesnt seem like re-tooling

Old
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
I think the most value to be had is in resigning him...

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
I think the most value to be had is in resigning him...
exactly. if he's resigned, we dont wanna trade him. if not, it'll suck regardless.