HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Team USA 2014: As selected by HF Boards!

Old
01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Ummm John Tavares?? 8th in the league in scoring last season? one of the best centers in the game? I know Canada is deep but 0% chance he's left off the team
Who would you like me to replace with Tavares? I don't see any of the forwards I picked not making the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Doughty is also coming of an absolutely DOMINANT run to being a key part to winning the Stanley Cup.

Obviously - it's your "proposal" so you can include whomever you want. I just think that Doughty (and Seabrook to a lesser extent) would be a slam dunk addition over guys like Campbell, Letang & Del Zoto. I know you said you're expecting MDZ to take the next step, but Doughty was IMO the best d-man for Canada when they won the Gold in 2010, and IMO he's about a big a lock as there is for Team Canada.
True, I think he'll make it but he shouldn't. Seabrook is a great d-man too.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Team Russia

I'll do Canada also if no one has done it

Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk
Semin, Datsyuk, Yakupov
Kulemin, Anisimov, Radulov
Filatov, Burmistrov, Dadonov

Gonchar, Tyutin
Orlov, Kulikov
Volchenkov, Nikiton

Bryzgalov
Varlamov
Vasilevski
No Tarasenko or Kuznetsov? I would think they would both be over Filatov, Dadanov and Kulemin

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Take out Nash, richards and Iginla and add Tavares, Eberle and Bergeron

Take out Campbell del zotto and Phaneuf and add seabrook, doughty and Pietrangelo

Take out brodeur and add price

Iginla makes it every year and Nash won't be left out either. You can argue Richards but I don't see anyone either than Bergeron filling that role. Eberle is good but not Olympic Canada good until some other guys retire. If Richards has a good 2013, it's hard to place Bergeron on the roster.

I would add Price if Brodeur doesn't play. Up in the air at this point.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
No Tarasenko or Kuznetsov? I would think they would both be over Filatov, Dadanov and Kulemin
Well not over Kulemin, no. He's put up good numbers recently. I also believe Dadonov is going to breakout also. Florida needs a big name star to lead it's team, I think Dadonov can help.

I'm a Caps fan so I know Kuznetsov is going to be good but he'll just be cracking an NHL roster at the time of the Olympics, so who knows.

Talk in town was that Kuznetsov is coming to the Caps soon. If he puts up a big year and Dadonov struggles, i'll go with him. At this point, I choose Dadonov based on experience.

Regarding Tarasenko, I think he can be a great player but it comes down to the same thing with Kuznetsov. I see Kuznetsov being slightly better than Tarasenko in the long run, but it depends how early they make a splash to make the Olympic roster.

After these World Juniors, Russia is in desperate need for wins.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Iginla makes it every year and Nash won't be left out either. You can argue Richards but I don't see anyone either than Bergeron filling that role. Eberle is good but not Olympic Canada good until some other guys retire. If Richards has a good 2013, it's hard to place Bergeron on the roster.

I would add Price if Brodeur doesn't play. Up in the air at this point.
Bergeron does not play the same role as Richards, and Bergeron is needed for his defensive abilities. Nash with his recent play likely wont make it in favour of Tavares, and Eberle has proved better than Nash, Richards and Iginla based on last season while being a notorious international contributor. Price will make it 100% over either fleury or Brodeur and will be the starting goaltender.

Why do I have the feeling your a Rangers fan....

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Bergeron does not play the same role as Richards, and Bergeron is needed for his defensive abilities. Nash with his recent play likely wont make it in favour of Tavares, and Eberle has proved better than Nash, Richards and Iginla based on last season while being a notorious international contributor. Price will make it 100% over either fleury or Brodeur and will be the starting goaltender.
Dude, I doubt it. What if Montreal continues to struggle? You would think they would put Fleury in instead of Luongo or Price. In my opinion putting Price in is a horrible idea.

I'm a Caps fan but I like Nash as a player. He made the roster last time.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well not over Kulemin, no. He's put up good numbers recently. I also believe Dadonov is going to breakout also. Florida needs a big name star to lead it's team, I think Dadonov can help.

I'm a Caps fan so I know Kuznetsov is going to be good but he'll just be cracking an NHL roster at the time of the Olympics, so who knows.

Talk in town was that Kuznetsov is coming to the Caps soon. If he puts up a big year and Dadonov struggles, i'll go with him. At this point, I choose Dadonov based on experience.

Regarding Tarasenko, I think he can be a great player but it comes down to the same thing with Kuznetsov. I see Kuznetsov being slightly better than Tarasenko in the long run, but it depends how early they make a splash to make the Olympic roster.

After these World Juniors, Russia is in desperate need for wins.

Tarasenko has already played for them in the WC and performed quite well with sheltered minutes. I would bet he is gonna be on the team.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Tarasenko has already played for them in the WC and performed quite well with sheltered minutes. I would bet he is gonna be on the team.
6 games, one goal, -3?

The whole team underachieved though more or less.. didn't pay that much attention Tarasenko during that tournament though.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Guys, could we convert Kane to be our 1C?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
rypper

You guys are high if you think doughty doesn't make Team Canada. His dominate performance in 2010, plus 2012 playoffs, plus the open international ice.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:47 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Who would you like me to replace with Tavares? I don't see any of the forwards I picked not making the team.

honestly it just was a very mediocre roster

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Not really, who on that team does he replace?
max pacioretty

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:18 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Guys, could we convert Kane to be our 1C?
Let someone else take the faceoffs and put him with backchecking forwards (parise), other than that he owns the middle of the ice.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Puckgenius*

Your team is in trouble if Kesler is your #1 centre.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Forwards

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Pavelski - Kessel
Pominville - Stastny - Pacioretty
Brown - Backes - Callahan

(T.J. Oshie, Blake Wheeler)

Defense

Ryan Suter - Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh - John Carlson
Jack Johnson - Erik Johnson

(Kevin Shattenkirk )

Goalies:

Johnathan Quick

(Ryan Miller)
(Cory Schneider)

So what's everyone think of the roster?
Wingers and grit are the strengths of this USA squad. If the Olympics were organized like the playoffs (best of 7 series) I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like this win it all just by virtue of grinding down their opponents. That fourth line would be a nightmare to face, and can score with the best of them too. Top to bottom, it's a pretty well balanced mix of skill and strength in my opinion.

But in round-robin and single elimination, as everyone's said, it's all about the hot goalie. If Miller can return to the same form from the 2010 Olympics, the US could easily make a strong move for gold.

Their only major weaknesses lie down the middle, on D, and maybe on that third line. The defence isn't particularly offensively inclined aside from Yandle and might have some difficulty in transition. A really nice team though, who knew HF had such good taste? haha

Quote:
Neal, Crosby, Stamkos
Sharp, Toews, Giroux
Spezza, Getzlaf, Perry
B. Richards, Staal, Iginla
Nash

Weber, Keith
Letang, Campbell
Phaneuf, Del Zotto

Fleury
Luongo
Brodeur
Neal, Crosby, Stamkos
Sharp, Toews, Giroux
Tavares, Bergeron, Perry
M. Richards, Staal, Iginla
(Nash or possibly Hall/Eberle)

Weber, Pietrangelo
Doughty, Letang
Keith, Seabrook
(M. Staal, Campbell, or possibly even Subban)

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Forwards weren't bad, but that defence left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Forward Swaps
In: Bergeron, Tavares, Mike Richards
Out: Getzlaf, Spezza, Brad Richards

Just added some much needed sandpaper and defensive ability to the forward corps (who was going to kill penalties?). As much as I like Getzlaf, Spezz, and B. Richards, I think it was a bit of skill overkill.

Defense Swaps
In: Pietrangelo, Seabrook, Doughty
Out: Campbell, Phaneuf, Del Zotto

Piet and Doughty are at the head of the next generation of top defenders and will likely only improve over the next year. Seabrook is a great steadying presence for Keith and was very solid in 2010 from what I remember. Meanwhile, Campbell, Phaneuf, and Del Zotto all have a few defensive flaws in their game and I'd really like to keep a nice balance of defence and offense on each of the pairings.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:20 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Umm...Dadonov was traded last year to Carolina. He also signed a deal in the KHL before the lockout ever began.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Jetsfan44
Rookie User

My Team USA 2014

Parise Stastny Kane
Ryan Backes Oshie
Pacioretty Kesler Kessel
Brown Pavelski Callahan
Pominville

Suter J.Johnson
Yandle Carlson
McDonagh Shattenkirk
Gardiner

Quick
Miller
Howard

Jetsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Darth Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
I'd take Stepan over Wheeler as the 13/14th forward. Hell, 2014 Derek Stepan might be better than 2014 TJ Oshie. I might take 2014 Kreider over 2014 Wheeler too.
You'd be making a mistake then. Take it from someone who watched him play 80 games last year. He's becoming quite a force.

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
Its not all about the best players, but the right players (loosely taken from Miracle/Herb)
Well its true... Cant argue with Herb or Brian Burke for that matter. I bet the HF polls who guessed and voted for the 2010 predicted roster was far off. Many wondered why Drury and Callahan were on the roster at the end. Many wondered where was Gomez and Modano and others...

Well I think besides 1 or 2 forwards... this could be it and I am happy that this is the line up. A well rounded team. Full of leaders, speed, talent, skill, size, offense, defense and strong goaltending.

I dont completely agree with the depth chart or the line ups but happy with roster

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Handsome View Post
You'd be making a mistake then. Take it from someone who watched him play 80 games last year. He's becoming quite a force.
Blake Wheeler? Honestly im not to thrilled with his play. Hes a big body, knows how to play offense but honestly a pretty lousy defender. Just because he has a big body, throws a few checks and what not does not mean hes good enough to be considered a solid defender.

From what I have seen myself *(which is no where near your viewing credentials) but what I have also heard from others... the guy is weak off the puck. NOT reliable in his def responsibilities too.

I too think Derek Stepan should be considered in this line up, at least a 13th fwd. Hes young, but plays a mature game. Well rounded and his best attribute is his positioning and toughness. Top 2 center on one of the best teams in the league and his play will only grow from there. His defensive game is just as good, constantly in the right spot at the right time and a strong face off winner. 2014 comes along, Derek Stepan will be a strongggg player for the Americans and one that they will think twice before cutting him.

Last year was the first time Blake Wheeler has surpassed 55 points. 55 points is what Stepan received in his 2nd year. He went from 45 points to 35 and then again. Being traded by an eventual Stanley Cup team.

Stepan also had a better WC tournament in 2011 than his teammate Wheeler.

Also Stepan can play both wing and center. Where Wheeler has been known to only be comfortable in wing. Stepan can play the PP or the PK. Hes willing to drop down to block shots. Also 4 years younger. Faster.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Thesensation19

Kreider has a chane to be selected if he keeps up his play. He had some iffy moments this year especially in the start of the Whale but hes being selected for Ranger training camp and I heard he started to hit some hot streaks as of late.

If he keeps it up, and grows from there he will be selected. No doubt. The guy was a stud for his 2 series last year in the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:

1 year from now... Taveras will make the Canada team and deserve it.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Myers does not play for the US. The only names you mentioned currently in the hunt for a spot would be Bogosian and Byfuglien, the lockout probably killed most other players chances to showcase themselves.
Hah, dual citizenship? I didn't know.....too bad, I like the kid.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Your team is in trouble if Kesler is your #1 centre.
Canadians thought we would be in trouble if our roster in 2010 looked the way it did. No Modano, No Gomez. Why Callahan? Where was Buff? Why Drury? Why this guy and why that...

Its a system we have and I am sure Burke will do it just fine to put us back in medal contention. 1 goal away from beating Canada (a dream team you could say they had)

Old
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Thats one solid lineup.. Well balanced, very competitive. Even its not the best team i could easily see them beating anyone.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote