HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shawn Horcoff

Old
01-07-2013, 10:15 AM
big ape

vCash: 500
Shawn Horcoff

Considering his salary is less than his cap hit.does this make him more of a trade consideration,or a buyout. I would think that a gm that needs to get to the floor would like a player with more of a cap hit than actual salary. Horcoff would make a great 3rd line center,just that his salary is double what his worth is. It will be intresting to see what happens with Horcoff. I want him gone ,but his close ties to ownership might prevent what should be done with him.

big ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Pretty close to zero IMO

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Are the Oilers eating the 50% allowable under the new CBA? If so, I'd be happy to give you a pick or a prospect. If not, no way, no how!

01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ape View Post
Considering his salary is less than his cap hit.does this make him more of a trade consideration,or a buyout. I would think that a gm that needs to get to the floor would like a player with more of a cap hit than actual salary. Horcoff would make a great 3rd line center,just that his salary is double what his worth is. It will be intresting to see what happens with Horcoff. I want him gone ,but his close ties to ownership might prevent what should be done with him.
The short answer will be a buyout. He will be bought out over the summer the 2nd the Oilers are allowed to and then a team can just sign him as a free agent without a $5+ million caphit.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Shawn has negative value.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Even 4m in hard cash is a lot to pay for a 3rd line center on a cap floor team, so it`s probably not the stage where he becomes appealing to the penny pinchers yet.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

His salary drops downs next year and the following, it might be worth some team to pick him up for the added cap hit. If he's placed on waivers, good chance he'll be picked up, but the Oilers cannot do that due his NTC and NMC, will have to wait until July 1st

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Shawn has negative value.
Nobody has negative value. Horcoff will net you a low pick and/or a project prospect.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Nobody has negative value. Horcoff will net you a low pick and/or a project prospect.
Lots of players have negative value due to their contracts.

Sure, they might help a team reach the cap floor, but that's generally if the difference between actual salary and cap hit is large.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
The other GM would probably want to add another bad contract going the Oilers way.

So Horcoff for a project prospect and a #5 Dman that somehow got 3M in free agency one year...or something like that.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The other GM would probably want to add another bad contract going the Oilers way.

So Horcoff for a project prospect and a #5 Dman that somehow got 3M in free agency one year...or something like that.
Yeah, that could be a possibility, but the Oilers should not do it. Sure, he is way overpaid and that gives him almost negative value. But we have no other 3rd-line C, and we do not desperately need the cap space either.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Have you checked out how he plays and how much money he's making? He's seriously got negative value.

But it doesn't matter. He'll be bought out at the end of the year!!!! I can't wait! It'll feel almost as good as winning a Stanley Cup!

Another team will probably pay him 3M and regret it.

Has lost his speed. All of his offensive skills seem to have diminished. He's weak in the corners and he's got no luck standing in front of the net.

He's an overpaid Eric Belanger.

Negative value.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Have you checked out how he plays and how much money he's making? He's seriously got negative value.

But it doesn't matter. He'll be bought out at the end of the year!!!! I can't wait! It'll feel almost as good as winning a Stanley Cup!

Another team will probably pay him 3M and regret it.

Has lost his speed. All of his offensive skills seem to have diminished. He's weak in the corners and he's got no luck standing in front of the net.

He's an overpaid Eric Belanger.

Negative value.
I'm hardly a Horcoff fan but this just isn't true. His work in the corners was pretty good last season. If there was a battle. He'd usually come away with it. It's what he did with the puck once retrieving it that was the problem. I also thought he more than held his own in front of the net on the powerplay. There was a lot to criticize Horcoff for last season but those two areas were just fine.

Horcoff is so much better than Belanger.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
He's still a decent 3rd/4th line center, but getting paid as a 1st line center. Perhaps a team looking to get to the floor might take him on, as his cap hit is higher than his actual salary in the final years of his deal.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Ballard for Horcoff + 2nd?

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Where do I sign?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Where do I sign?
MessierII would Ballard make the Oilers, remember the Oilers rely on their D for their grit. Ballard would delay the development of the Oilers D prospects. If he was a RHS and had some size I would consider it, but he's not,I would rather resign Whitney at Ballard's salary. Oilers pass.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
MessierII would Ballard make the Oilers, remember the Oilers rely on their D for their grit. Ballard would delay the development of the Oilers D prospects. If he was a RHS and had some size I would consider it, but he's not,I would rather resign Whitney at Ballard's salary. Oilers pass.
He gives us depth and dumps one of the worst contracts in the league. If Whitney isn't his former self we need another guy in there. You can't have enough depth on D.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
He gives us depth and dumps one of the worst contracts in the league. If Whitney isn't his former self we need another guy in there. You can't have enough depth on D.
Ballards contract is not much better, and he doesn't supply the grit the Oilers need. Sounds like Klefbom is a lock next year, no room for Ballard, there will be a lot better D out there then Ballard after some buy outs.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Quote:
Where do I sign?
take a look at ballards contract.

When you factor on the oilers Ballard would be a bottom pairing D-man. Horcoff actual does some good stuff while he plays, Ballard is a guy once he gets bought out I will be shocked if he gets signed. For the past two years for all the oiler fans *****ing and complaining about Horcoff, he has been playing the tough minuters in protecting the kids-Ballard has been playing soft minutes badly for the canucks.
The second rounder should be coming to the oiler, not the oilers giving it up. Ballard has even less value then Horcoff

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Luongo
Ballard

for

Hemsky
Horcoff

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Not a stupid idea. Unfortunately there won't be many takers if a serious proposal were to be put forth.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

When you factor on the oilers Ballard would be a bottom pairing D-man. Horcoff actual does some good stuff while he plays, Ballard is a guy once he gets bought out I will be shocked if he gets signed. For the past two years for all the oiler fans *****ing and complaining about Horcoff, he has been playing the tough minuters in protecting the kids-Ballard has been playing soft minutes badly for the canucks.
The second rounder should be coming to the oiler, not the oilers giving it up. Ballard has even less value then Horcoff
Ballard would be on the 2nd pairing for the Oilers. The Canucks depth is what puts him on 3rd pairing. Unlikely in Edmonton.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Horcoff is older and more expensive than Ballard. Ballard is currently a 4/5 defenseman with potential to rebound, Horcoff a bottom-6 centre who will only decline.

It's fine if you're not interested, though. I'm not exactly jumping to get Horcoff, although he does fit a need for us., even if overpaid.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Luongo
Ballard

for

Hemsky