HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm predicting that VAN carries Luongo into the season.
He isn't getting any younger.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He isn't getting any younger.
If the offers are crap anyways then what's the risk? If we wanted we could just waive Luongo and sign Bozak for free. Wouldn't be any different would it?

01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Whimsical huh? If you can argue it theoretically, then logically a greater return would follow...
I don't subscribe to your logic. For instance, you could theoretically argue that his value should be less now then it was at the beginning of the summer because he now has less games left on his contract. If you can theoretically argue it both ways then you can't logically use a theoretical argument to define realistic value.

Let me ask you this; if it does in fact raise his value, how much do you think it will raise it?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If the offers are crap anyways then what's the risk? If we wanted we could just waive Luongo and sign Bozak for free. Wouldn't be any different would it?
cept T.O. wouldn't get that legit #1 starting goalie for table scraps.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Whitebear

Luongo and Hansen to San jose

Marleau and Neimi to Vancouver

IMO Sharks could use an upgrade in net as much as anyone.

hate to lose Hansen but would love to have Marleau.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Fogelhund

You know, I don't remember where I heard the goalie shop with Minnesota. I know it was on the TV, and they didn't specifically mention Backstrom. They did specifically say that there was a rumour that Minnesota would be shopping one of their goalies, and that Burke would likely be looking at that option. Given the cap hits of their goalies, Backstrom was my assumption.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post

I don't like that deal at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
On a separate note, do you guys think the fact that this will be a shortened NHL season improves his trade value?

I certainly do. First - it puts a higher demand on your goaltender (more games in fewer weeks) and second it gives bubble teams a greater chance of making the playoffs. Get hot for 10 games and suddenly you're in, over an 82 game season there is more of a regression towards the mean.

At the same time, I agree with Button - that a shortened season also gives Van greater incentive to hold on to him.
I honestly don't, just because he's signed for something like 9 more years. If it was a one year deal - yes, the shortened season would matter. But with the long term contract - his value is less impacted based on a shortened 2012-13 season.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Because this thread undergoes a series of stages. We have once again reached the "Luongo is crap; we want him cheap!" cycle. Where it gets irritating is when people cannot comprehend why most of us cannot agree with their horrible offers.
I have learned to cope with these threads fairly easily, most of the usual suspects are on ignore, and when the threads gets real bad, and I can't actively engage self control, I just ignore the thread.

Right now, this thread isn't too bad, but it's early, and I didn't read much of the last one...which may be where you're getting the "Luongo is crap..." from.

Clearly, he isn't!

Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:

I'd pass, if I'm spending 6.9M of cap space for a player it'd be someone like Perry.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
You know, I don't remember where I heard the goalie shop with Minnesota. I know it was on the TV, and they didn't specifically mention Backstrom. They did specifically say that there was a rumour that Minnesota would be shopping one of their goalies, and that Burke would likely be looking at that option. Given the cap hits of their goalies, Backstrom was my assumption.
There were a lot of rumors floating around when they just signed Harding but they almost stop in their tracks when it was revealed Harding had MS. With the kind of money MINN just invested on the ice I don't see why they would deplete their goalie situation. They would be right where T.O. is now. Except with a better group of forwards.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:

And Vancouver adds $4 more million to their cap???

Not good.

Old
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
A first is far less appealing than Versteeg. Not only is it unlikely the pick ever pays comparable dividends, it does nothing to facilitate our "win now" philosophy. I wouldn't be adverse to Fleischmann if not for his injury history. But he is certainly more valuable to us than a first.
See my revision to the proposed. I replaced Versteeg with Upshall so that satisfies the "win now" philosophy though with a lower value but works better for the Panthers. Kept the 1st in the deal but replaced Petrovic since we need d-men sooner than Vancouver does and would give you the ability to draft someone like Ristolainen this yr (big RHD). With Matthias currently injured (I believe a concussion), had to replace him but did so with Shore who has more value than Matthias probably.
Quote:
And how did he? Florida wants no part of dealing a highly touted prospect. Thus, they will have to give up a good roster player or be content with what they have. Nothing wrong with maintaining the status quo but you cannot expect Vancouver to gift you a goaltender.
I changed it anyway to a different deal. Keep in mind, that FL has no need for a goaltender so unless its a gift, whats their motivation to make a deal? So like you said, nothing wrong with maintaining the status quo all the way around.

Old
RainingRats

It will be something along the lines of Upshall/Kopecky + Clemmenson for Roberto Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
I'd pass, if I'm spending 6.9M of cap space for a player it'd be someone like Perry.
Agreed. Not only that but Niemi is a lock to walk so we've basically given up Hansen and Luo for Marleau. No freaking way!

Old
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not my point. His value will decline as he approaches 35. Now is the time to deal him.

Old
best of 7

Quote:
Because this thread undergoes a series of stages. We have once again reached the "Luongo is crap; we want him cheap!" cycle. Where it gets irritating is when people cannot comprehend why most of us cannot agree with their horrible offers.
Yes Luongo is an "established quality goalie" I would agree that he is worth his 5.3m cap hit. So I would think it is reasonable to say that you will be getting "5.3m cap hit" quality back....hence when you keep talking a 3 for 1 trade, no team will entertain overpaying, quality prospects are hard to come by

Old
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Personally, and this is just conjecture, but I see Kulemin and Kadri involved in any deal with Toronto. Bozak just seems unlikely given his chemistry and including both him and Kadri decimates Toronto's center depth. What else, if anything, I do not know but those two just seem probable.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
See my revision to the proposed. I replaced Versteeg with Upshall so that satisfies the "win now" philosophy though with a lower value but works better for the Panthers. Kept the 1st in the deal but replaced Petrovic since we need d-men sooner than Vancouver does and would give you the ability to draft someone like Ristolainen this yr (big RHD). With Matthias currently injured (I believe a concussion), had to replace him but did so with Shore who has more value than Matthias probably.
I changed it anyway to a different deal. Keep in mind, that FL has no need for a goaltender so unless its a gift, whats their motivation to make a deal? So like you said, nothing wrong with maintaining the status quo all the way around.
If Fleischmann's on the table I would be interested in him.

Fleishmann + 1st + Robak, maybe?(I'd prefer Petrovic, but...)

Old
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by best of 7 View Post
Yes Luongo is an "established quality goalie" I would agree that he is worth his 5.3m cap hit. So I would think it is reasonable to say that you will be getting "5.3m cap hit" quality back....hence when you keep talking a 3 for 1 trade, no team will entertain overpaying, quality prospects are hard to come by
Kulemin+Kadri+ is far from overpayment, just to throw out an example. Fleischmann+Petrovic is likewise, not an overpayment.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by best of 7 View Post
So are elite goalies.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
dbhislife

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve on twitter a short while ago:

The truth on Luongo: Until the Florida Panthers inform Canucks they have no interest in him, he won't approve a trade to anywhere else.

MillarWithASave posted it over on the panthers board, but I decided to move it here as well. Its certainly big time news if true, and would all but crush any leverage the Canucks have. If its true, the Canucks have two options assuming the panthers are interested:

1) Trade him to Fla for w/e they are willing to pay.
2) Call his bluff, and hold onto him, which prevents them from spending that money elsewhere.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
It will be something along the lines of Upshall/Kopecky + Clemmenson for Roberto Luongo.
Why would the Canucks ever consider this?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If Fleischmann's on the table I would be interested in him.

Fleishmann + 1st + Robak, maybe?
Why would we ever give up all that for an expensive goalie who we don't even need?

You're going to get Kopecky/Upshall + Clemmenson. No chance Tallon gives away anything significant.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Not my point. His value will decline as he approaches 35. Now is the time to deal him.
How isn't it your point? If the offers right now are crap then going even lower than that isn't going to matter as we aren't really losing out on anything.

Closed Thread