HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  #226
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
Canucks are in a much better situation than the Flames were 2 seasons ago. And Bozak may not be a bonified 2nd line C but he's good tweener. I think you will see Bozak or a similar player being a part of the deal along with a younger AHL player who is still devoping and a pick/Jr age prospect.

crazycanuck is online now  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  #227
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,963
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
Can we not envision that scenario? Only thing worse would be Toronto.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #228
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
100% agree with the bolded part!

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #229
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Canucks are in a much better situation than the Flames were 2 seasons ago. And Bozak may not be a bonified 2nd line C but he's good tweener. I think you will see Bozak or a similar player being a part of the deal along with a younger AHL player who is still devoping and a pick/Jr age prospect.
Bozak here would be a 30 point center who's weak defensively. I don't see how he's a fit here at all.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #230
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 400
I'm hoping we actually hold onto Luongo. Bring both Schneider and Lou in and figure out if they would be willing to run 1A 1B for one more season. In a lockout shortened season, the games will be crammed in. Let the two alternate and create a competition between them. If they get on as well as they say, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Timmer44 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
  #231
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I'm hoping we actually hold onto Luongo. Bring both Schneider and Lou in and figure out if they would be willing to run 1A 1B for one more season. In a lockout shortened season, the games will be crammed in. Let the two alternate and create a competition between them. If they get on as well as they say, then it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm starting to lead this way as well only because I don't want to see Luongo traded away for scraps of garbage. I think he's still a top goalie and has a lot of hockey left in him. Teams should be paying a premium for him, imo. He instantly makes any team he goes to a playoff contender.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  #232
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
That's because he went with Lindback + 1 roster player + 1 young bluechip prospect + a pick (all assets they did not have to give up) over luongo

Sure they gave up two 2nds and a 3rd to get Lindback but the draft was not deep anyway.
Still completely insane. That's a team with an aging-but-still-elite Martin St. Louis, and who knows how hard it will be to find a player with his chemistry to play with Stamkos. That team was a few smart moves away from being a cup contender, but getting a wildly overrated Lindback wasn't one of them.

I just think it was a massive miscalculation on Yzerman's part, but he hasn't been a very good GM to this point, so it's not surprising.

Maybe if Gillis waits a few months and Lindback falters, he can still pry the assets from the Bolts.

Proto is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  #233
nubber
Registered User
 
nubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
I just heard on team 1040 radio hes still in fla and gave gillis the green light to do whatevers best for the team. Two questions, does that mean hes lifted his ntc? And when is luongo coming back to vancouver? cheers

nubber is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
  #234
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
We know that Luongo + Schneider's potential return would make the Canucks better than Schneider + Luongo's potential return and we know that losing Luongo to anybody from TO (or any trades mentioned AFAIS) makes us worse. We also know that running both goalies, makes us essentially the same team as last year (Kesler's injury notwithstanding), maybe better - So what's the hurry to move the guy?

The Canucks are in a pretty good situation to start the year with both guys, give them equal competition (which didn't happen last year) and see where it goes. A goalie is never more valuable than near the deadline when teams are scrambling for playoff spot.

Luongo is not holding out or requesting a trade so there is absolutely no reason to make any moves at all.

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
  #235
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
I just heard on team 1040 radio hes still in fla and gave gillis the green light to do whatevers best for the team. Two questions, does that mean hes lifted his ntc? And when is luongo coming back to vancouver? cheers
No, he hasn't lifted his NTC. From what I understand, he's going to allow Gillis to find a deal and then decide it he'll go there.

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
  #236
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, he hasn't lifted his NTC. From what I understand, he's going to allow Gillis to find a deal and then decide it he'll go there.
Luongo also said that he is going to training camp and preparing for the season the same way he does every year.

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  #237
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
I just heard on team 1040 radio hes still in fla and gave gillis the green light to do whatevers best for the team. Two questions, does that mean hes lifted his ntc? And when is luongo coming back to vancouver? cheers
Luongo is doing what he's always done. Being a great soldier and have the best interest of his team at the forefront.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
  #238
nubber
Registered User
 
nubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
anybody heard a date for reporting? Luo's still skating in fla.

nubber is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
  #239
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
anybody heard a date for reporting? Luo's still skating in fla.
TSN reporting that camps may open as early as this coming Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412970

ddawg1950 is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
  #240
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Potato
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,114
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
anybody heard a date for reporting? Luo's still skating in fla.
Luongo said he's flying to Vancouver at the end of the week.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  #241
nubber
Registered User
 
nubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
TSN reporting that camps may open as early as this coming Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412970
Thanks guys! Dawg, is that a 56 merc? Nice

nubber is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
  #242
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, he hasn't lifted his NTC. From what I understand, he's going to allow Gillis to find a deal and then decide it he'll go there.
Uhh Gillis doesn't need Luongo's permission to find a deal, so I don't see how that makes any sense. Gillis needs Luongo's permission to complete a trade; however.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
  #243
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I'm hoping we actually hold onto Luongo. Bring both Schneider and Lou in and figure out if they would be willing to run 1A 1B for one more season. In a lockout shortened season, the games will be crammed in. Let the two alternate and create a competition between them. If they get on as well as they say, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah and in the meantime Lindback gets absolutely lit up playing behind that defenceless team in Tampa and Stevie is forced to re-enter the Luongo sweepstakes.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
  #244
Cocoa Crisp
Registered User
 
Cocoa Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
We know that Luongo + Schneider's potential return would make the Canucks better than Schneider + Luongo's potential return and we know that losing Luongo to anybody from TO (or any trades mentioned AFAIS) makes us worse. We also know that running both goalies, makes us essentially the same team as last year (Kesler's injury notwithstanding), maybe better - So what's the hurry to move the guy?

The Canucks are in a pretty good situation to start the year with both guys, give them equal competition (which didn't happen last year) and see where it goes. A goalie is never more valuable than near the deadline when teams are scrambling for playoff spot.

Luongo is not holding out or requesting a trade so there is absolutely no reason to make any moves at all.
Genuinely curious: what was the biggest deadline return for a goalie?

Cocoa Crisp is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  #245
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Genuinely curious: what was the biggest deadline return for a goalie?
I don't remember the last time a goalie of Luongo's caliber was available for trade. They rarely are so I doubt any return you hear of or find will be relevant to this situation.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
  #246
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,089
vCash: 500
If we dont get a deal that we want, keep the guy till we do. It's simple. going into the playoffs with Luo and Schneider would not be the end of the world.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
  #247
Cntrmid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
In the grand scheme of things though, imagine if the relationship between Vancouver and Luongo was still great and he finished his career here prior to his contract ending. The Canucks were always anticipating that they would be paying for his "retirement years" against the cap.

It seems like the Canucks will likely be in the same situation now, except with a different set of players on our roster instead of Luongo.

And let's say he doesn't retire until 2019-2020. By then the salary cap could be north of 80m for the subsequent seasons. For all we know, his 5.3m cap will be small potatoes in the grand scheme of the salary cap.
As was pointed out, under the old cba we wouldn't have been on the hook for any post-retirement years because he signed under 35 years old.

That clause is just a big f u to the teams that managed to circumvent the cap, and doesn't really affect his trade value, unfortunately.

Cntrmid is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
  #248
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
I wouldn't get too excited about the "green light".

I'm sure that any charity Luongo has for the good of the team will depend on where he is traded.

Jay Cee is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
  #249
MikeK
Registered User
 
MikeK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about the "green light".

I'm sure that any charity Luongo has for the good of the team will depend on where he is traded.
Oh for sure. But, Luongo wants to play and be a number 1 on an NHL team. He is a long way from being a backup and the longer it goes the more willing and open he's going to be to looking at other options.

MikeK is offline  
Old
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
  #250
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about the "green light".

I'm sure that any charity Luongo has for the good of the team will depend on where he is traded.
Think it would depend on what kind of offers were actually out there; for example if the Panthers only offered crap and another team offered 'the moon', I think he could accept that a bit better.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.