HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
Canucks are in a much better situation than the Flames were 2 seasons ago. And Bozak may not be a bonified 2nd line C but he's good tweener. I think you will see Bozak or a similar player being a part of the deal along with a younger AHL player who is still devoping and a pick/Jr age prospect.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Agreed. If we can get an impact asset that helps is win the Cup now, great. If we can get back some quality prospects that keep our window open a bit longer and allow us to quickly retool, great. But we may also end up dumping him for Bozak and Franson which, IMO, would turn us into the Calgary Flames.
Can we not envision that scenario? Only thing worse would be Toronto.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
100% agree with the bolded part!

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Canucks are in a much better situation than the Flames were 2 seasons ago. And Bozak may not be a bonified 2nd line C but he's good tweener. I think you will see Bozak or a similar player being a part of the deal along with a younger AHL player who is still devoping and a pick/Jr age prospect.
Bozak here would be a 30 point center who's weak defensively. I don't see how he's a fit here at all.

Timmer44

vCash: 400
I'm hoping we actually hold onto Luongo. Bring both Schneider and Lou in and figure out if they would be willing to run 1A 1B for one more season. In a lockout shortened season, the games will be crammed in. Let the two alternate and create a competition between them. If they get on as well as they say, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I'm hoping we actually hold onto Luongo. Bring both Schneider and Lou in and figure out if they would be willing to run 1A 1B for one more season. In a lockout shortened season, the games will be crammed in. Let the two alternate and create a competition between them. If they get on as well as they say, then it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm starting to lead this way as well only because I don't want to see Luongo traded away for scraps of garbage. I think he's still a top goalie and has a lot of hockey left in him. Teams should be paying a premium for him, imo. He instantly makes any team he goes to a playoff contender.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
That's because he went with Lindback + 1 roster player + 1 young bluechip prospect + a pick (all assets they did not have to give up) over luongo

Sure they gave up two 2nds and a 3rd to get Lindback but the draft was not deep anyway.
Still completely insane. That's a team with an aging-but-still-elite Martin St. Louis, and who knows how hard it will be to find a player with his chemistry to play with Stamkos. That team was a few smart moves away from being a cup contender, but getting a wildly overrated Lindback wasn't one of them.

I just think it was a massive miscalculation on Yzerman's part, but he hasn't been a very good GM to this point, so it's not surprising.

Maybe if Gillis waits a few months and Lindback falters, he can still pry the assets from the Bolts.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
nubber

I just heard on team 1040 radio hes still in fla and gave gillis the green light to do whatevers best for the team. Two questions, does that mean hes lifted his ntc? And when is luongo coming back to vancouver? cheers

Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Hal 9000*

We know that Luongo + Schneider's potential return would make the Canucks better than Schneider + Luongo's potential return and we know that losing Luongo to anybody from TO (or any trades mentioned AFAIS) makes us worse. We also know that running both goalies, makes us essentially the same team as last year (Kesler's injury notwithstanding), maybe better - So what's the hurry to move the guy?

The Canucks are in a pretty good situation to start the year with both guys, give them equal competition (which didn't happen last year) and see where it goes. A goalie is never more valuable than near the deadline when teams are scrambling for playoff spot.

Luongo is not holding out or requesting a trade so there is absolutely no reason to make any moves at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubber View Post
I just heard on team 1040 radio hes still in fla and gave gillis the green light to do whatevers best for the team. Two questions, does that mean hes lifted his ntc? And when is luongo coming back to vancouver? cheers
No, he hasn't lifted his NTC. From what I understand, he's going to allow Gillis to find a deal and then decide it he'll go there.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
No, he hasn't lifted his NTC. From what I understand, he's going to allow Gillis to find a deal and then decide it he'll go there.
Luongo also said that he is going to training camp and preparing for the season the same way he does every year.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Luongo is doing what he's always done. Being a great soldier and have the best interest of his team at the forefront.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
nubber

anybody heard a date for reporting? Luo's still skating in fla.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
TSN reporting that camps may open as early as this coming Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412970

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Luongo said he's flying to Vancouver at the end of the week.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
nubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
TSN reporting that camps may open as early as this coming Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412970
Thanks guys! Dawg, is that a 56 merc? Nice

Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Uhh Gillis doesn't need Luongo's permission to find a deal, so I don't see how that makes any sense. Gillis needs Luongo's permission to complete a trade; however.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Yeah and in the meantime Lindback gets absolutely lit up playing behind that defenceless team in Tampa and Stevie is forced to re-enter the Luongo sweepstakes.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
We know that Luongo + Schneider's potential return would make the Canucks better than Schneider + Luongo's potential return and we know that losing Luongo to anybody from TO (or any trades mentioned AFAIS) makes us worse. We also know that running both goalies, makes us essentially the same team as last year (Kesler's injury notwithstanding), maybe better - So what's the hurry to move the guy?

The Canucks are in a pretty good situation to start the year with both guys, give them equal competition (which didn't happen last year) and see where it goes. A goalie is never more valuable than near the deadline when teams are scrambling for playoff spot.

Luongo is not holding out or requesting a trade so there is absolutely no reason to make any moves at all.
Genuinely curious: what was the biggest deadline return for a goalie?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Genuinely curious: what was the biggest deadline return for a goalie?
I don't remember the last time a goalie of Luongo's caliber was available for trade. They rarely are so I doubt any return you hear of or find will be relevant to this situation.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

If we dont get a deal that we want, keep the guy till we do. It's simple. going into the playoffs with Luo and Schneider would not be the end of the world.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Cntrmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
In the grand scheme of things though, imagine if the relationship between Vancouver and Luongo was still great and he finished his career here prior to his contract ending. The Canucks were always anticipating that they would be paying for his "retirement years" against the cap.

It seems like the Canucks will likely be in the same situation now, except with a different set of players on our roster instead of Luongo.

And let's say he doesn't retire until 2019-2020. By then the salary cap could be north of 80m for the subsequent seasons. For all we know, his 5.3m cap will be small potatoes in the grand scheme of the salary cap.
As was pointed out, under the old cba we wouldn't have been on the hook for any post-retirement years because he signed under 35 years old.

That clause is just a big f u to the teams that managed to circumvent the cap, and doesn't really affect his trade value, unfortunately.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I wouldn't get too excited about the "green light".

I'm sure that any charity Luongo has for the good of the team will depend on where he is traded.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post

I'm sure that any charity Luongo has for the good of the team will depend on where he is traded.
Oh for sure. But, Luongo wants to play and be a number 1 on an NHL team. He is a long way from being a backup and the longer it goes the more willing and open he's going to be to looking at other options.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post

Think it would depend on what kind of offers were actually out there; for example if the Panthers only offered crap and another team offered 'the moon', I think he could accept that a bit better.

Closed Thread