HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if we struggle this year

Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
what do you want me to say, this team is best the world? for god sakes, this team has won nothing in almost 40 years, what makes you think this team is any better now or will win anything?
i just don't understand how you can't see that "if we struggle this year" comes off as very negative.

what if Bryz plays most of the year like he did in March ?
what if Danny has a better reg season ?
what if L Schenn has a breakout year ?

c'mon ppl, lets get some positive mojo goin on here !!

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 01-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Flyerfan4life

won nothing???

off the top of my head i seem to remember winning the eastern conference trophy in 2010..

thats hardly nothing..

no other team won that bad boy that year..

u cant expect to win lord stanley every year, yet somehow the Flyers are in the running more times then not..

i'd say we really arent in a position to be *****ing..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Oh this again, any other options for a coach? Lavy isn't going anywhere he's a good coach, and the best coach for the Flyers right now, but move along nothing to see here

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya, bring back John Stevens so he can bake the team a cake!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

The kings trap?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
As it has been already stated, it's your absurd amount of negativity. Like you are unfathomably negative to the point where it really seems fake.
im going to be negative until we win the cup, now you tell me what exactly on this team is going to bring us a cup?

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
im going to be negative until we win the cup, now you tell me what exactly on this team is going to bring us a cup?
Looking at LA and NJ before the season last year, what on their team would have made you think "yeah, they could easily win?" New York was a Finals favorite, how did that work out for them?

There is no magical formula that wins a Cup. Looking at any playoff team and writing them off completely is nonsense.

01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
...the players and coaches? You act like this team is physically incapable of winning, which I know is exactly how you feel. Or you're an elite troller. It's one or the other and both are wrong.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Looking at LA and NJ before the season last year, what on their team would have made you think "yeah, they could easily win?" New York was a Finals favorite, how did that work out for them?

There is no magical formula that wins a Cup. Looking at any playoff team and writing them off completely is nonsense.
NJD, no...but lets be honest, the Kings underachieved in the regular season. I felt they should have been the #1 seed and been a contender.

They have an abundance of talent in all areas, and some top flight talent at that.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
NJD, no...but lets be honest, the Kings underachieved in the regular season. I felt they should have been the #1 seed and been a contender.

They have an abundance of talent in all areas, and some top flight talent at that.
Eh. I had the Kings marked down as strong contenders, but definitely not shoe-ins. A lot of people thought New York had a free ticket to the Conference finals at minimum, in comparison.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Eh. I had the Kings marked down as strong contenders, but definitely not shoe-ins. A lot of people thought New York had a free ticket to the Conference finals at minimum, in comparison.
I never pegged the Devils to go anywhere, but my early Cup prediction, and a popular one from what I remember, was Kings/Flyers.

I expected first the Flyers, then the Rangers, to decimate the Devils. They really shocked me.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I posted about it on the prospect board but I guess I'll post it here.

Say somehow the Flyers end up with the 1st overall pick would you rather :

A) Flyers draft Nate MacKinnon with the pick

B) Flyers draft Seth Jones with the pick

C) Try to trade down to #2 overall to draft Seth Jones while picking up maybe an extra 2nd round pick

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

C) Try to trade down to #2 overall to draft Seth Jones while picking up maybe an extra 2nd round pick
Trade #1 ovr for Weber

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Take Seth Jones. No need to get cute with a trade. If you want extra picks, move Briere at the deadline. He is worth at least a 2nd from a contending team.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

I'd go with C. Say whoever is #1 takes Jones, you still get a tremendous player in MacKinnon.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

D) Draft Jonathan Drouin.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

what gives me a lot of home or at least has me excited, is the fact that i often forget that Luke Schenn is still just 23 years old. 23 YEARS OLD. he was drafted 5th overall and still is very talented and has a ceiling that he hasn't begun to reach IMO. That, along with the notion that defenseman typically don't reach their prime or their potential until later in their 20s, i have hope that Schenn can develop into the defenseman he was drafted as, and I'm excited to see how he does in a change of scenery, in a new organization alongside his brother.

WONDER TWINS, UNITE!

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

if the flyers somehow ended up with the 1st overall pick and DIDNT pick Seth Jones, i would go berserk.

i know MacKinnon is extremely talented, but I'm really not entirely sold on him being the next sidney crosby. but hey, maybe if we did draft MacKinnon, we could trade some otherwise valuable pieces for a top defenseman. Maybe trade Brayden Schenn + and get the 2nd overall pick as well, and draft MacKinnon AND Jones. that would be glorious. and then sign Corey Perry in the offseason with Timonens freed up cap space.

Perry - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - MacKinnon - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Read
Fedetenko - Talbot - Sestito

Coburn - Jones
Meszaros - Schenn
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Gervais

only problem with that is, if you trade one of the schenns, you probably have to trade both of them now that you have both haha. you'll create a resentful remaining schenn.

Last edited by orange is better: 01-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Jones didn't impress me at all during the World Jrs. I'd be reluctant to draft him if we can trade the pick and get something else.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Jones didn't impress me at all during the World Jrs. I'd be reluctant to draft him if we can trade the pick and get something else.
seriously? what exactly about his game didn't impress you? i thought he was probably the best defenseman in the tournament.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The Flyers will never be a trapping team. They are outright against that philosophy in terms of the product. They'd rather lose not trapping than win with it. Being run out of the building by the Rangers and Devils had more to do with personnel. This was not a team that should have been considered a real contender last year, and probably shouldn't this year either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sadly Im not sure that the Flyers will make the playoffs. If they do they will barely do so. Just way too many question marks particularly from the net up. At least if the Flyers dont make it they got a chance at the lottery. Maybe we can luck out unlike with the season that shall not be named...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sadly Im not sure that the Flyers will make the playoffs. If they do they will barely do so. Just way too many question marks particularly from the net up. At least if the Flyers dont make it they got a chance at the lottery. Maybe we can luck out unlike with the season that shall not be named...
Eh, we have the exact same team as last year, minus Jagr and Carle. I doubt those two made THAT much of a difference where we go from playoff to non.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, we have the exact same team as last year, minus Jagr and Carle. I doubt those two made THAT much of a difference where we go from playoff to non.
It's a different dynamic because it's not a full-season. They may still be a good team, but if they get off slow, or have a big slump where they not scoring as much as their play dictates, can they regress to their mean fast enough? Parity rules the day, so things can get screwy. Imagine if this was last year and the Wild snuck into the playoffs despite being dominated 5 v 5, while the Kings may have been kept out since they got their numbers turned around at the perfect time. It will probably lead to some unfair evaluations. Guys are going to lose jobs because of it.

There was also the JVR for Schenn trade, which many are convinced was a step back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's a different dynamic because it's not a full-season. They may still be a good team, but if they get off slow, or have a big slump where they not scoring as much as their play dictates, can they regress to their mean fast enough? Parity rules the day, so things can get screwy. Imagine if this was last year and the Wild snuck into the playoffs despite being dominated 5 v 5, while the Kings may have been kept out since they got their numbers turned around at the perfect time. It will probably lead to some unfair evaluations. Guys are going to lose jobs because of it.

There was also the JVR for Schenn trade, which many are convinced was a step back.
I agree with most of what you said, but it will be nice not to have to make excuses for JVR this year. JVRs only constant for 5/6 years was inconsistency, and I was sick of hearing/making excuses for his lack of production. Sometimes we got flashes of what we dreamed he would be, but most of the time he was a non factor. Ultimately I am glad we dumped him before his new contract kicked in.

At least if I have to hear/make excuses for Schenn they will be fresh, new and exciting.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote