HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMoney View Post
I'm hoping they take the same route as they did with De Haan (our last highly touted defensive prospect). Let him develop more in the juniors, bring him to Bridgeport and use him as a call up if a regular goes down. Lets just hope he has a little better luck injury wise then De Haan does...
That's basically a 3-year plan. Highly doubt it takes that long for Griff. Realistically he'll probably have a shot next season. Especially if one or both of Visnovsky/Streit walk.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
FYI, according to Arthur Staple, the college UFA rule was not changed, meaning that Anders Lee can become a UFA this summer.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23097029914624

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23206031478784
As good as gone

Maybe there's a compensation now? There wasn't any before right?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
KrisBeKreame

http://stats.worldjunior2013.com/Hyd...00_85J_1_0.pdf

Did anyone see this list of the Top 3 players per country for the WJC as chosen by the coaches? I am quite beside myself beleiving that RNH was considered a top player. However look and see who the coaches belived was the top finn.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
TheIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post

Did anyone see this list of the Top 3 players per country for the WJC as chosen by the coaches? I am quite beside myself beleiving that RNH was considered a top player. However look and see who the coaches belived was the top finn.
Oh okay Ville Pokka I see you

Old
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
InformTheMasses

Pokka over Granlund? WOOOOOOOOW

Gaudreau over Gibson and Trouba.... Double Wow. (Not correct either)

I only saw Finlands pre-tourny games, but if Pokka played better than Granlund R.Ristolainen and Barkov, then that's a REALLY good sign.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
As good as gone

Maybe there's a compensation now? There wasn't any before right?
Don't be so sure. Lee is playing well, but nt having nearly the year Justin Shultz had last year. I still think there's a decent chance that Lee Stays with the Islanders. Lee is a kid with his NHL ready body and gameplay can be promised a good amount of minutes at the NHL level from a team like the Islanders. Don't pack his bags just yet.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Don't be so sure. Lee is playing well, but nt having nearly the year Justin Shultz had last year. I still think there's a decent chance that Lee Stays with the Islanders. Lee is a kid with his NHL ready body and gameplay can be promised a good amount of minutes at the NHL level from a team like the Islanders. Don't pack his bags just yet.
One other thing in Isles favor...Isles will have time to sign him when his season is done and burn a year off his entry level deal.

If he goes the UFA route, it will come down to who offers him the most attractive opportunity. Could be the Isles with all the young talent, we will see.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
TheIslesFan

Quote:
One other thing in Isles favor...Isles will have time to sign him when his season is done and burn a year off his entry level deal.

If he goes the UFA route, it will come down to who offers him the most attractive opportunity. Could be the Isles with all the young talent, we will see.
My gut feeling is a lot of these Notre Dame kids finish their degree

Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:

Interesting. I can't say I disagree with any of this based on what I saw, nice to see Pokka get some respect!

I think RNH was the best Canadian player by far, though he was awful vs. the US and not much better in the Bronze medal game.

I think Strome was better than Scheifele to be honest. Based on the limited minutes he got, Strome was more effective. Quite honestly, I don't think there was a 3rd best CDN player based on the last two games.

On the US Team, you could easily have added Seth Jones, Galchenyuk and a couple of others to the list!

Quote:
FYI, according to Arthur Staple, the college UFA rule was not changed, meaning that Anders Lee can become a UFA this summer.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23097029914624

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...23206031478784
If the Isles want him, they'll have to step-up and sign him. I'm not as high on Lee as many on here but I'd definitely try and sign him if the price is right. This might be one of those cases where he thinks he'll get more on the open market, and he might be right. May as well try, especially if you're heading down the Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel path, try and get as much money in that first contract (maybe only contract) as possible.

Lee's older than John Tavares.

I'd say all of Niederreiter, Kabanov, Nelson, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Persson and Ullstrom are ahead of Lee (and YOUNGER) in the prospect depth chart at forward. That's mostly a compliment to the Isles prospects, not a slight towards Lee specifically. I've seen Lee a handful of times in the NCAA and he did look good in the prospect camp as well.

I hope they sign him. But the price must be right, Bob Barker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
If you read McKenzies tweets this morning on the matter, he stated the Islanders have both Strome and Reinhart on the list.
I think we'll see Strome and Reinhart in camp.

Strome to see whether he can play with the big boys in a high-temp camp. He really needs this next test and I'm kinda hoping he does get a few games in this year. I typically argue against the "bailey way" but in Strome's case, he does need to be tested at the NHL level.

I don't think he's going to get much better in Niagara, who knows if he's traded with the way they're playing but frankly, I'd like to see him have some team success after two disappointing WJCs.

I don't think Strome will win a job at camp but I'd like to see him try.

Reinhart should get a taste of the speed, skill, size of the NHL game (not that the Isles have much of any of that ) - but I don't think he'll get any games in. Is he better than Carkner or Donovan (currently #5 & 6, assuming Visnovsky reports and Hamonic is healthy!)?? I'd say YES. Might Wishart or Ness make the jump and win a job at camp? Maybe.

I don't think it's right that Reinhart "wins" a job because the Isles haven't brought in proper NHL defensemen, I HOPE we're not "that team" (anymore) but I do think he'll make it to camp and get some experience with the big club.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Interesting. I can't say I disagree with any of this based on what I saw, nice to see Pokka get some respect!

I think RNH was the best Canadian player by far, though he was awful vs. the US and not much better in the Bronze medal game.

I think Strome was better than Scheifele to be honest. Based on the limited minutes he got, Strome was more effective. Quite honestly, I don't think there was a 3rd best CDN player based on the last two games.

On the US Team, you could easily have added Seth Jones, Galchenyuk and a couple of others to the list!

If the Isles want him, they'll have to step-up and sign him. I'm not as high on Lee as many on here but I'd definitely try and sign him if the price is right. This might be one of those cases where he thinks he'll get more on the open market, and he might be right. May as well try, especially if you're heading down the Jason Gregoire and Blake Kessel path, try and get as much money in that first contract (maybe only contract) as possible.

I'd say all of Niederreiter, Kabanov, Nelson, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Persson and Ullstrom are ahead of Lee (and YOUNGER) in the prospect depth chart at forward. That's mostly a compliment to the Isles prospects, not a slight towards Lee specifically. I've seen Lee a handful of times in the NCAA and he did look good in the prospect camp as well.

Strome to see whether he can play with the big boys in a high-temp camp. He really needs this next test and I'm kinda hoping he does get a few games in this year. I typically argue against the "bailey way" but in Strome's case, he does need to be tested at the NHL level.

I don't think he's going to get much better in Niagara, who knows if he's traded with the way they're playing but frankly, I'd like to see him have some team success after two disappointing WJCs.

Reinhart should get a taste of the speed, skill, size of the NHL game (not that the Isles have much of any of that ) - but I don't think he'll get any games in. Is he better than Carkner or Donovan (currently #5 & 6, assuming Visnovsky reports and Hamonic is healthy!)?? I'd say YES. Might Wishart or Ness make the jump and win a job at camp? Maybe.

I don't think it's right that Reinhart "wins" a job because the Isles haven't brought in proper NHL defensemen, I HOPE we're not "that team" (anymore) but I do think he'll make it to camp and get some experience with the big club.
I think what makes Lee so valuable to Isles fans is the fact that he projects more as a bottom-6 player. Most of our prospects are in that "top-6 or bust" category. Guys like Cizikas, Ullstrom(to some degree) and Lee are important for filling the other end of our forward group, IMO.

However, if he does walk I won't be too upset. Generally 4th line spots are easier to fill via UFA than top-9 spots.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
KrisBeKreame

There is so much that I like and want to touch on in your post.
Quote:

I aboslutely agree, I'm not as high on Lee as others around here. I agree with his spot on the depth chart. I have no idea where he would eventually slot. However we know that Snow has made offers to Lee the past two offseasons. Lee has continued to say he wants to finish his degree. This could be true or it could be that he wants a better offer (for the Isles or in the open market). But like you said it comes down to money. If he is looking for Nino or Nelson money, trade him!!! I would not and I think it sends the wrong message to pay him more than Strome or deHaan.

Quote:

I agree bring them into camp not only to evaluate where they currently fit but also these guys have to mentally know what they need to make it to the next level. For Strome he he does not make the team he will go back to Niagra where is is becoming more of a long shot to see playoff action. Is that better than seeing time here? Hes not Bailey for those claiming we are rushing him. Remeber he was drafted over a year and a half ago and is/was leading the CHL in points. He will not need to be the number 1 guy and has the right kind of guys to help him Here.

Reinhart, lets see where he is. No I dont think he should make the team but dont deny him the chance or the opportunity to learn what it takes. We would be doning that if it were Sept.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
There is so much that I like and want to touch on in your post.

I aboslutely agree, I'm not as high on Lee as others around here. I agree with his spot on the depth chart. I have no idea where he would eventually slot. However we know that Snow has made offers to Lee the past two offseasons. Lee has continued to say he wants to finish his degree. This could be true or it could be that he wants a better offer (for the Isles or in the open market). But like you said it comes down to money. If he is looking for Nino or Nelson money, trade him!!! I would not and I think it sends the wrong message to pay him more than Strome or deHaan.

I agree bring them into camp not only to evaluate where they currently fit but also these guys have to mentally know what they need to make it to the next level. For Strome he he does not make the team he will go back to Niagra where is is becoming more of a long shot to see playoff action. Is that better than seeing time here? Hes not Bailey for those claiming we are rushing him. Remeber he was drafted over a year and a half ago and is/was leading the CHL in points. He will not need to be the number 1 guy and has the right kind of guys to help him Here.

Reinhart, lets see where he is. No I dont think he should make the team but dont deny him the chance or the opportunity to learn what it takes. We would be doning that if it were Sept.
I think I'm in the exact same boat as you when it concerns Strome and Reinhart. Strome is further along than Bailey when he made the NHL roster, but IMO that isn't even the main difference. The key difference is what you touched on, the fact that no rookie/prospect will have to be relied upon now the way Bailey was when he first came up. This team now has the guys like Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Nielsen, Grabner and an older, more mature Bailey. Back in '08-09 I believe our top offensive threats were Mike Comrie, a 38 year old Bill Guerin and a 20 year old Kyle Okposo. IMO this is a much different situation, and a much easier environment for young guys to step into. By no means am I saying the Isles should guarantee Strome anything, but if he appears like someone who can contribute offensively to this team immediately I would have no problem with giving him a shot.

As for Reinhart, I agree he should get a look in camp and then head back to Edmonton(barring something ridiculous happening). I do think it could be good for him to get a sneak peak at the speed/talent/physicality of the NHL game. For that IMO it would be wise to bring him to camp.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
InformTheMasses

I can't say that I'm surprised that most people underrate Anders Lee. The NCAA does not get the same press as CHL and therefore less hype is created for the prospects that play there. People saying he's below John Persson on the depth chart? Based on what? Certainly not experience, age, strength, or skill.

Anders Lee IMO is the only true Power forward in the entire Islanders organization. As dominating as Nino's game is in front of the net (this year at AHL) Anders Lee is even more dominant, and he's bigger, stronger and older. He's also light years ahead of Nino as far as play along the boards and corners and winning and keeping the puck.

Nothing against any other Islanders prospect, but people don't really realize what they have here. I'm not saying Lee is the best or most talented prospect in the system, but he isn't that far off. What he IS, is different than any other player in the system. He can be a monster on any line 1st, 2nd, or checking line (dont just pigeonhole him to a bottom 6 role).

I like a lot of Islander forwards with Size.... Nino, Nelson, Sundstrom, Persson, Ullstrom, Kabanov, Petrov. Etc Its a wonderful thing. But I'm telling you that none of those guys play as physical or nearly as strong as Lee is. It would be a mistake to let this guy go over money.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I can't say that I'm surprised that most people underrate Anders Lee. The NCAA does not get the same press as CHL and therefore less hype is created for the prospects that play there. People saying he's below John Persson on the depth chart? Based on what? Certainly not experience, age, strength, or skill.

Anders Lee IMO is the only true Power forward in the entire Islanders organization. As dominating as Nino's game is in front of the net (this year at AHL) Anders Lee is even more dominant, and he's bigger, stronger and older. He's also light years ahead of Nino as far as play along the boards and corners and winning and keeping the puck.

Nothing against any other Islanders prospect, but people don't really realize what they have here. I'm not saying Lee is the best or most talented prospect in the system, but he isn't that far off. What he IS, is different than any other player in the system. He can be a monster on any line 1st, 2nd, or checking line (dont just pigeonhole him to a bottom 6 role).

I like a lot of Islander forwards with Size.... Nino, Nelson, Sundstrom, Persson, Ullstrom, Kabanov, Petrov. Etc Its a wonderful thing. But I'm telling you that none of those guys play as physical or nearly as strong as Lee is. It would be a mistake to let this guy go over money.
Just curious how do you know this? How do you get to watch him play so much?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
InformTheMasses

Lee specifically? I have connections to the U of ND, have family that work and coached out there, I go out there frequently attend a lot and and watch all televised games. I watch all the other stuff on-line via paid for streams.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:27 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:

I think you are just as guilty of overrating this guy as those you say are underrating him. He's a nice prospect, but I would never, ever count on him to become a top-6 guy here. Not meant as a slight at Lee, but more as a compliment to our system. Guys like Tavares, Moulson, Okposo, Strome, Nino, Bailey, Nelson, etc. will probably end up holding down our top-6 in the present/future. Lee is one of the few prospects we have who could fit in a bottom-6 role. I think that is where the label comes from. Not that he has a lack of talent, he is just a better fit for that spot.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think what makes Lee so valuable to Isles fans is the fact that he projects more as a bottom-6 player. Most of our prospects are in that "top-6 or bust" category. .
That is really funny (and possibly sad) to me. Sounds like you're saying that Isles fans would be less excited about Lee if he had top-6 potential.

I care about Lee in that he's got NHL potential. How much we'll see play out, but I don't want to lose ANY asset in our system for nothing.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:00 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Two years younger than Lee, playing pro hockey, 13 goals, 6'2" 215lbs and anyone who has seen him play is impressed. He plays a style than Lee projects to play as well...except he's already proving himself.

I'm a Lee fan too, don't mean to knock him, but let's be realistic.
Quote:

No way Lee is close to Nino in any way. Nino has proven himself in the CHL, Internationally and in the AHL and just turned 20 a few months ago. He's playing against men, in a professional league, out scoring some pretty good prospects like Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, B.Schenn, M.Granlund and others, on a team riddled with injuries.

Sorry but Lee is an overage player in the NCAA, nowhere close to the level of competition Niederreiter is facing. Apples and oranges.

No way we should lose Lee for nothing and definitely not over money, on a team that only has prospects and barely a cap floor salary structure.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
ndgolden

Quote:

Simple Fast Facts:

When Lee does decide to turn pro he will get max dollars according to the current ELC agreement which will not change when the new one is adopted.

Money or team is not the motivating factor behind Lee not turning Pro with the Islanders. Finishing what he started with ND is. I know you jaded types want to think *** about the kid but your flat out wrong.

Islanders brass happen to believe he would be playing with the club today if he had signed. That has not changed.

To believe by Lee not signing he is looking elsewhere is complete BS. The Islanders will not come up empty handed with this pick. If they wish to trade his rights there are plenty of teams willing to deal.

You really have no clue what this kid is all about which is too bad.

Last edited by PWJunior: 01-07-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Profanity circumvention
Old
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
InformTheMasses

ndgolden, your pointing this at the wrong guy. I know exactly what he is and who he is. I have talked to the kid before. I am not accusing him of trying to become a free agent. Above in an earlier post you will see me talking down an Islander fan from the ledge who basically said he was as good as gone. I appreciate your viewpoint but your directing this at the wrong person.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Two years younger than Lee, playing pro hockey, 13 goals, 6'2" 215lbs and anyone who has seen him play is impressed. He plays a style than Lee projects to play as well...except he's already proving himself.

I'm a Lee fan too, don't mean to knock him, but let's be realistic.

No way Lee is close to Nino in any way. Nino has proven himself in the CHL, Internationally and in the AHL and just turned 20 a few months ago. He's playing against men, in a professional league, out scoring some pretty good prospects like Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, B.Schenn, M.Granlund and others, on a team riddled with injuries.

Sorry but Lee is an overage player in the NCAA, nowhere close to the level of competition Niederreiter is facing. Apples and oranges.

No way we should lose Lee for nothing and definitely not over money, on a team that only has prospects and barely a cap floor salary structure.
Lee is facing inferior competition than Nino, but you can not tell me that Nino is bigger and stronger than Lee, and plays the boards/corners and front of the net as effectively as Lee. Well you COULD tell me that, but you would not be correct.

All Im telling you is Lee is a TRUE Power forward whose game translates to the NHL level. Nino is NOT a Power forward, no matter how badly you may want him to be that.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Lee is facing inferior competition than Nino, but you can not tell me that Nino is bigger and stronger than Lee, and plays the boards/corners and front of the net as effectively as Lee. Well you COULD tell me that, but you would not be correct.

All Im telling you is Lee is a TRUE Power forward whose game translates to the NHL level. Nino is NOT a Power forward, no matter how badly you may want him to be that.
Not suggesting he's bigger or stronger, just better in every way and it's not close.

Lee has a lot to prove to be considered a better prospect than Nino, Strome, Nelson, Sundstrom, Cizikas, Ullstrom, Persson and even Kabanov who's shown a lot since the mem cup. But I would love to be proven wrong, believe me!

At 22, he's putting up Christian Hanson numbers, another 6'4" 230lb winger from the NCAA. I'm asking for some perspective. Krill Petrov also looked impressive in prospect camp and he's not exactly lighting up the KHL. Perspective. Jason Gregoire was a pretty good College scorer. Matt Frattin as well. Perspective.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Simple Fast Facts:

When Lee does decide to turn pro he will get max dollars according to the current ELC agreement which will not change when the new one is adopted.

Money or team is not the motivating factor behind Lee not turning Pro with the Islanders. Finishing what he started with ND is. I know you jaded types want to think *** about the kid but your flat out wrong.

Islanders brass happen to believe he would be playing with the club today if he had signed. That has not changed.

To believe by Lee not signing he is looking elsewhere is complete BS. The Islanders will not come up empty handed with this pick. If they wish to trade his rights there are plenty of teams willing to deal.

You really have no clue what this kid is all about which is too bad.
We've heard that before. Fool me twice...

Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
We've heard that before. Fool me twice...
We have already been fooled twice, Gregorie and Kessel.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
NYI78

Quote:

if you don't think nino is a power forward then your not watching him play. he is a beast in the crease and can bang with the best of them. he takes the body and is an above average skater. knocking nino to praise lee really doesn't make much sense

Closed Thread