HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Roboholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
you are right, the oilers and Blackhawks are interested. But there are even bigger roadblocks to a trade to those teams compared to the leafs and panthers
I know Tampa Bay has Lindback but this also seems like a fit to me.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Finishing dead last in the league but not getting the first overall pick due to losing the draft lottery.
Ouch. Oh to have 2 legit starters in the NHL.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
Especially since you are able to keep salary (mirtle tweeted it I believe).

Makes it desirable to a team like Tampa.

But alas I think Yzerman is gonna go with lindback.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:33 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
So we end up with one of Drouin, Jones or Barkov as a long-term building block.

Oh.. how terrible.
LOL... again I have to ask why Leaf fans have become comfortable with losing? In order to be in that drafting position you would have to have another terrible season and YES another playoff absence. Aren't you ready for a change?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
No one is asking for Reiley/Gardiner. I think a decent return would be Kulemin, Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd for Luo and Raymond. No 1st, no blue chip prospects, and taking back some salary too.
Again, Nucks fans also seem to forget that getting 5.3 million of the books for 8 years is the biggest asset of all. Especially with the cap going down, and either having 4 or 5.3 million in cap space sitting on the bench on any given night. As far as Raymond is concerned, why would the Leafs want or need him? They have plenty of forwards and do not need Raymond one bit.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
If this were NHL 13 you would be right. But all evidence shows that Tampa fully intends to give Lindback the job. This is not as simple as finding every team that has a goalie worse than luongo and fielding offers from all of them

Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
LOL... again I have to ask why Leaf fans have become comfortable with losing? In order to be in that drafting position you would have to have another terrible season and YES another playoff absence. Aren't you ready for a change?
Exactly, I don't get the people who don't want Luongo, let's forget the contract for a second because that seems to get brought in every argument. Do we really want to go with a tandem of Reimer who has had a good 30 games in his career and Scrivens as a back-up? I've always been a fan of getting this deal done. At some point we have to make a move up the standings and stop with this status quo B.S. Doesn't anybody want this team to make the damn playoffs? I'll tell you right now Reimer and Scrivens with the team we have won't do it.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Exactly, I don't get the people who don't want Luongo, let's forget the contract for a second because that seems to get brought in every argument. Do we really want to go with a tandem of Reimer who has had a good 30 games in his career and Scrivens as a back-up? I've always been a fan of getting this deal done. At some point we have to make a move up the standings and stop with this status quo B.S. Doesn't anybody want this team to make the damn playoffs? I'll tell you right now Reimer and Scrivens with the team we have won't do it.
not to get too far OT, but why haven't the leafs explored trading for bernier (sp) from LA

Old
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Right on, man. It blows my mind how many Leaf fans have become content with supporting a loser. And yes the Leafs are losers. What is it now, 7 or 8 years out of the playoffs? Enough is enough. I know I would be dieing for any type of success. Luongo in T.O. instantly makes that team a legit playoff contender.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
not to get too far OT, but why haven't the leafs explored trading for bernier (sp) from LA
Burke believes he has Bernier in Reimer.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Right on, man. It blows my mind how many Leaf fans have become content with supporting a loser. And yes the Leafs are losers. What is it now, 7 or 8 years out of the playoffs? Enough is enough. I know I would be dieing for any type of success. Luongo in T.O. instantly makes that team a legit playoff contender.
And if it doesn't?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
If this were NHL 13 you would be right. But all evidence shows that Tampa fully intends to give Lindback the job. This is not as simple as finding every team that has a goalie worse than luongo and fielding offers from all of them
It was more of a Tampa has a solid team and since Luongo is apparently the second coming of christ it might make them a serious threat. Not to mention he actually wants to be in the state of Florida.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It translates to:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Upshall - Malhotra - Hansen
Volpatti - Lapeirre - Kassian

When we originally had:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Raymond
Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen
Volpatti - Lapeirre - Kassian

See the problem? Shore is an average prospect, somewhat low on your chart, and the first would be high. Flash or Versteeg add something to our roster. Upshall does nothing.
I mentioned earlier but Upshall is probably going to be playing in FL's top 6 this coming season so I dont see the problem. He could play either wing so replace Higgins in your lineup with Upshall and put Higgins back where you had him. He probably fits in perfectly with Booth & Kesler too once Kesler returns. Keep in mind again that Upshall was included due to salary reasons too.

And I'm sorry but Shore is not an average prospect at all and not low on our chart in the least. He's a top 10 prospect in our system which is ranked #2 overall by HF. If he's in another prospect pool like the Canucks, he's most likely a top 5 prospect on the team. Not to mention, he's played so well this season as a rookie AHLer that I think he's definitely jumped over a few guys are really close to being a top 5 prospect in the Panthers pool too. Most Panther fans feel like Shore has leapfrogged Howden right now so offering Shore is giving up real value there. No one knows where that 1st rounder will be either...no guarantee that Panthers make the playoffs either given that they are missing 3 forwards in their lineup right now and its a shortened season when depth is super important. Luongo doesnt guarantee us the playoffs in any way shape or form.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Again, Nucks fans also seem to forget that getting 5.3 million of the books for 8 years is the biggest asset of all.
I that case will you take Kesler? That 5 million we would save would be more valuable than his playing ability.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Again, Nucks fans also seem to forget that getting 5.3 million of the books for 8 years is the biggest asset of all. Especially with the cap going down, and either having 4 or 5.3 million in cap space sitting on the bench on any given night. As far as Raymond is concerned, why would the Leafs want or need him? They have plenty of forwards and do not need Raymond one bit.
The leafs can benefit from Raymond as he is a staple on our PK which has been near tops in the league last few years whereas yours has been closer to where you've finished in the standings in the same time frame.

Luongo easily has 3-4 years of elite play left in him and 2-3 years of very good/above average play. His NTC drops off around that time and he can be moved when his play and salary drops off. 5-7 years of elite to very good goaltending is what you are getting. The fact is the prices most of us are asking is taking into consideration the long term deal with a cheater cap hit. What do you think the leafs could do over the next 5-7 years with top 10 goaltending?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Roboholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I that case will you take Kesler? That 5 million we would save would be more valuable than his playing ability.
Except Kesler will actually be playing (when healthy). Unless Vancouver is throwing Luongo on Wing?

Old
MikeK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Also, Deano was on hockeycentral early on into the lockout and basically said he wasn't ready to make that move yet and it would take a ransom to force his hand now.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
And if it doesn't?
What 1 player would provide them with a better chance, and is expendable to their current team?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
MikeK

Quote:
And if it doesn't?
It's been a very long time since your team had a legit starter and top goalie in the league hasn't it? There is a reason we call these guys Elite.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out that we would have to have a terrible season to get a top pick. I hadn't known things worked that way before.

I don't want a mediocre, barely make the playoffs, don't have room to improve team. I want a competitor, and I'm not sure we have the assets yet to be that team. Sure, Luongo if we obtain him on a good trade for the Leafs, not giving up too much in assets.. we are a better team. Probably a 7th-11th team, instead of worse. Mediocre draft picks from there, not enough talent coming through the system, and hoping like hell we can pick up a Getzlaf as a UFA.

Given how long we've been bad, I don't view it as an extreme hardship to be bad for one more year, in order to get that elite player...

Of course, Reimer would probably stand on his head, and lead us to 9th place, and we'd be screwed anyway.

But, a Luongo trade, that costs us much of our future doesn't really do us much good long-term... beyond maybe just barely making the playoffs for a few years. I have higher ambitions for the team.

Old
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
He also thought he had Brodeur in Cloutier for those 5 years I think.

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
And if it doesn't?
how could it not

Old
New Liskeard

Quote:
What exactly does this mean? Isn't Kesler coming back at some point this year with Vancouver?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Except Kesler will actually be playing (when healthy). Unless Vancouver is throwing Luongo on Wing?
This argument has been had many times, hes not a cap dump.

Vancouver won't trade him because of a cap crunch (at least not this season).

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
What 1 player would provide them with a better chance, and is expendable to their current team?
He seemed so sure it was a lock that Luongo make us a contender, what if it doesn't? And we lose prospects and picks for a crap goalie?

Closed Thread