HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Murray on the team 1200 at 3:05 today.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
God Says No

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The only "FA" defenseman I would take a look at is Paul Ranger, because he's been playing meaningful games.
yip. agreed. i think he would be a good fit. i actually like him better than lundin.

God Says No is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
He said this morning that Zibby is healthy to come to camp this week but they are keeping him at Bingo.

Step away from the cliff people.
Great news: he's missed a lot of hockey so keeping him in Bingo makes sense

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Wonder which FA's have contacted Murray. Imagine Campoli's agent has been working the phones nonstop now.

01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko View Post
-Thinks Ceci is a longer term project but will look at him at camp.
-Very happy with Bishop and Lehner gonna take a hard look at both of them.
- Thinks the team is tough enough but if not he'll have to address it .

I am going to speculate that this will be an issue and that it will become painstakingly evident very soon. Firstly, the shortened season will increase the intensity of play among all players because each game has become more important in determining whether or not a team makes the playoffs. Aside from that, there is now a much more powerful incentive to target star players and try and take them out of the game or a stretch of games. Therefore the rats in the league should be running wild.

IMO the senators won't be in a good position for this. We have a handful of injury prone players (Lattendresse, Michalek, Regin and to a lesser extent Spezza and Alfie) that are very likely to miss a significant amount of time due to injuries from the increased physical play.

On top of that, we aren't really in a great position because the strength of our depth comes from our prospects. Those prospects are too new to the NHL to carry the load offensively. So we will likely go on a losing streak if we lose a few of Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie and Michalek to injuries for any length of time. Hell even if those players can be taken off their game from the lack of time and space could severely negatively impact the success of the team this season.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I am going to speculate that this will be an issue and that it will become painstakingly evident very soon. Firstly, the shortened season will increase the intensity of play among all players because each game has become more important in determining whether or not a team makes the playoffs. Aside from that, there is now a much more powerful incentive to target star players and try and take them out of the game or a stretch of games. Therefore the rats in the league should be running wild.
None of those things happened in 1995.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:18 PM
General Granny*

Its a 48 game season, toughness won't matter at all.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Well we still have Neil and Smith, and to a lesser extent JOB that can keep other teams in check. I don't think we'll need much more this season.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
General Granny*

Plus Borocop if he's in the lineup and Methot could fight, as well as Greening.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
How the hell is it going to be different from an 82 game season?

I also think toughness is going to be a major issue but can be adressed later on.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Methot is tougher than Foligno and we don't have to worry about him getting 35 goaltender interference calls against him.

Qward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Any interest in Mark Eaton, Kurt Sauer, Jim Vandermeer, Brad Lukowich or Brett Clark? They are all UFA. Here is the link to the whole list of UFA defenceman.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year...D&fa_type_id=2

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Methot is tougher than Foligno and we don't have to worry about him getting 35 goaltender interference calls against him.
Sure but we also lost Carkner, Konopka. Cowen won't be there either. Who's replacing them?

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post

IMO the senators won't be in a good position for this. We have a handful of injury prone players (Lattendresse, Michalek, Regin and to a lesser extent Spezza and Alfie) that are very likely to miss a significant amount of time due to injuries from the increased physical play.

On top of that, we aren't really in a great position because the strength of our depth comes from our prospects. Those prospects are too new to the NHL to carry the load offensively. So we will likely go on a losing streak if we lose a few of Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie and Michalek to injuries for any length of time. Hell even if those players can be taken off their game from the lack of time and space could severely negatively impact the success of the team this season.
While I don't think Ottawa is very tough now, I think the team toughness issue will be addressed over time when some of our Bingo prospects will be not just NHL ready but making a difference in the NHL. A number of players projected to make Ottawa in the next few yrs from Bingo are already bigger & some tougher than some of the players they will replace like Condra, Daugavins, Regin, Gonchar & Alfredsson. I see the future of this team like this plus whoever they sign as free agents or trade for.

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Zibanejad - Turris - Noesen
Greening - Grant - Stone
Dzuirzynski - Z. Smith - Neil/JOB

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Sdao/Sustre

Lehner - Anderson/Driedger

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:39 PM
OttawaSenators11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Sure but we also lost Carkner, Konopka. Cowen won't be there either. Who's replacing them?
Yeah, we are obviously not as tough as last season. People who don't think it matters is going to be in for a surprise.. Last years team success was in part because of the grittiness / toughness.

I just hope Murray is true to his word if we do have issues in that department this upcoming year.

Last years team was a pleasure to watch with the way the played.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Last year's success was because of:

Spezza and Karlsson

They stay healthy and continue to dominate and we will be fine. If they get injured and miss >6 games and we will suck. It's just that simple.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

Spezza and Karlsson

They stay healthy and continue to dominate and we will be fine. If they get injured and miss >6 games and we will suck. It's just that simple.
anderson says: not that simple

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Don Brennan is an idiot

Old
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Don Brennan is an idiot
Why? Because we should trade Anderson so it creates a story? That there's nothing to talk about since the lockout has ended, except everything?

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
OttawaSenators11

Quote:

Spezza and Karlsson

of course they were a big part of it, but you're blind if you think the grittiness / toughness didn't contribute to the surprising season.
Everyone knew not to mess with our star players or else something was going to happen. Not sure if that fear will be there this season.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
None of those things happened in 1995.
Just my speculation, I could very well be wrong.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
It may not happen until next season but prospects like Dziurzynski, Borowiecki, Gryba and Sdao could all be pushing for spots. If a few of them make the team and Murray signs Pierre Cedric Labrie to be the 12/13th forward then we will have replaced the lost toughness and in turn upped the skill level of the tough players.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Carkner played 29 games last season. Hurt for most of the season. averaged 11 minutes a game.

Konopka played 55 while healthy. meaning he was scratched for 27 games. He averaged 7 minutes a game.

Cowen had 2 fights last year. Methot will make up for those lost hits and then some.

Konopka's fights were "hey wanna go?" fights. There is no point to those anymore.

Carkner was great in the playoffs when he went after the Rangers for messing with Karlsson.

If we are suffering, Murray will get us a heavy weight. I just don't see us needing one.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
What are you basing this off of.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Speed & Skill > 4th line goon

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Carkner played 29 games last season. Hurt for most of the season. averaged 11 minutes a game.

Konopka played 55 while healthy. meaning he was scratched for 27 games. He averaged 7 minutes a game.

Cowen had 2 fights last year. Methot will make up for those lost hits and then some.

Konopka's fights were "hey wanna go?" fights. There is no point to those anymore.

Carkner was great in the playoffs when he went after the Rangers for messing with Karlsson.

If we are suffering, Murray will get us a heavy weight. I just don't see us needing one.
I think that when anyone assess Carkner and Konopka, they need to consider how their presence on the team contributed to the team toughness mentality. Aside from that their actions and play in the playoffs added to the team's success.

Although their play on the ice most of the season left a lot to be desired. That is why I am an advocate of replacing their toughness with more skilled tough players. It may not happen until next season, but I would like to see Dziurzynski and Labrie replace Konopka's role up front and two of Borowiecki, Gryba and Sdao replace Carkner's role on the back end.