HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Whale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
If you needed to sell it, and that is the best offer you got, that is what you would sell it for.
We don't need to sell, and we have the only #1 goalie on the market, so...

Personally, I think that it will ultimately be a three way deal, and those are almost impossible to predict. Maybe something like:

Van

Gagner
Franson
Khabibulin

Tor

Raymond
Luongo

Edmonton

McArthur
Reimer
Ballard

Old
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Probably not, but if I was looking at a used BMW with a fair ammount of miles on it and 8 years to pay it off, fuel economy would be the last thing on my mind, as it should for anyone.
and a used BMW priced as new.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I've never said the leafs were a goalie away from winning the cup. You must not have your reading glasses on. I said playoff contender and yes I believe the leafs are a real goalie away from being that.
..and yet you've chosen to criticize my posts, when I clearly stated that I didn't want a contender to make the playoffs, but a contender IN the playoffs, which is a potentially Cup winning team.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Excellent logic isn't it?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Let's not play naive here..

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
MikeK

vCash: 10000
Quote:
..and yet you've chosen to criticize my posts, when I clearly stated that I didn't want a contender to make the playoffs, but a contender IN the playoffs, which is a potentially Cup winning team.
Ok fair enough. You're basically holding your bets for a sure fire winner. Those hands are rarely dealt. Sometimes you need to put your chips in and bank on the odds. Luongo in T.O. is a good bet and one I would want my team to make.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
There is no guarantee's that is the case. The one constant is the 5.3 cap hit, he could play for 3 years, or the term. What is reality is the team that aquires him will have that cap hit, for how long, and what kind of value of play in return, is the whole point. I laugh at some Vancouver posters saying they can just keep him, and not realizing that having either 5.3 or 4 million sitting on the bench on any given night is forward thinking and making the team better.
The arguments been beaten to death.

Think he wants to play for 1/6 of his salary and/or ride the bus in the minors instead of playing poker in Florida? He can be waived/traded/bought out all if for some reason he doesnt retire.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Good thing Luongo's cap hit is significantly less than the majority of goaltenders at the top ten status.
Cap hit isnt the only thing that matters. To the Leafs or Canucks it might be but your post is addressing a Panthers fan and Luongo's real dollar salary means more to a budget team than his cap hit.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Id say its more like trying to trade a used ford focus, cavalier and carvan for a 2005 M3..

Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Personally, I think that it will ultimately be a three way deal, and those are almost impossible to predict. Maybe something like:

Van

Gagner
Franson
Khabibulin

Tor

Raymond
Luongo

Edmonton

McArthur
Reimer
Ballard
So then keep them both, and hope these trade trade talks die a quick death. As I said many many times, if you believe there is value in paying two goalies 9.3 million combined, and sit one at any given time, having a stagnate cap hit of either 5.3 or 4 million not contributing in a lower cap enviornment, then all the power to you. No one is saying Lou has no value, but there are some very real risks, and long term for the term aquiring him in this new CBA. Where are all the Nucks posters that said that he could just be burries in the minors??

Old
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Cap hit isnt the only thing that matters. To the Leafs or Canucks it might be but your post is addressing a Panthers fan and Luongo's real dollar salary means more to a budget team than his cap hit.
Mirtle (IIRC) tweeted a team can eat salary/cap space in a trade today.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Ok fair enough. You're basically holding your bets for a sure fire winner. Those hands are rarely dealt. Sometimes you need to put your chips in and bank on the odds. Luongo in T.O. is a good bet and one I would want my team to make.
I appreciate what you are saying, as I've also stated, if we could get him for a cost that doesn't mortgage the future, I'm fine with it...

That means no Gardiner, Reilly, 1st round picks, Lupul.

It means I'm not thrilled if Kadri or Kulemin are involved.

It means I'm ok with MacArthur, Franson, 2nd round, Blacker, Colborne type players...

Bozak I'm kind of on the fence with, because we need him this year.. unless we can find another option, or Connolly remembers how to play.

I'd like Luongo, but not at any cost, and frankly we can't afford an expensive purchase right now.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=kack zassian;57247819]The arguments been beaten to death.

Think he wants to play for 1/6 of his salary and/or ride the bus in the minors instead of playing poker in Florida? He can be waived/traded/bought out all if for some reason he doesnt retire.[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously believe he can be put in the minors? Honestly? I can help you with that, the answer is no, and no meaning the cap hit doesnt go away. Why would a team want to aquire a player with the possibilty of having to buy him out? Doesnt help the cap, and it is real money. Believe it or not, no team is excited about paying money for a player to not play for them.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Hal 9000*

Leaf fans sure have a bad case of "Beaten Wife Syndrome"...Whatever, I don't even know why we are trying to deal with the Leafs anyway.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I appreciate what you are saying, as I've also stated, if we could get him for a cost that doesn't mortgage the future, I'm fine with it...

That means no Gardiner, Reilly, 1st round picks, Lupul.

It means I'm not thrilled if Kadri or Kulemin are involved.

It means I'm ok with MacArthur, Franson, 2nd round, Blacker, Colborne type players...

Bozak I'm kind of on the fence with, because we need him this year.. unless we can find another option, or Connolly remembers how to play.

I'd like Luongo, but not at any cost, and frankly we can't afford an expensive purchase right now.
Ive been suggesting Connolly > Bozak for awhile now.
More expendable from the leafs, and a "buy low" candidate for Van
(Short term Kes replacement, 3C, 2nd PP C, 1 year deal).

I don't see a trade not involving Kadri (most valuable asset I think would be deemed expendable).

I am pulling for a Kadri, Connolly, Kulemin return.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Reimer has played good in Toronto.

The problem I see is what is similar in Edmonton which is inexperience. Defensive capabilities increase with experience and during the process of seasoning the goalies usually take the heat. I would say ride the 48 game season this year and let what happens happens. A trade should only be made unless its a no brainer imO.

I don't see the benefit of trading assets for a huge contract tied to a goalie who can't inspire confidence in its fans in their most important games on a team with exceptional team defense.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
He could play bad...

Our defense is exponentially worse than Vancouvers
go back to his panther days he's used to not having great D

Old
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Ho Borvat

[QUOTE=New Liskeard;57248175]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
The arguments been beaten to death.

Think he wants to play for 1/6 of his salary and/or ride the bus in the minors instead of playing poker in Florida? He can be waived/traded/bought out all if for some reason he doesnt retire.[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously believe he can be put in the minors? Honestly? I can help you with that, the answer is no, and no meaning the cap hit doesnt go away. Why would a team want to aquire a player with the possibilty of having to buy him out? Doesnt help the cap, and it is real money. Believe it or not, no team is excited about paying money for a player to not play for them.
I guess we agree to disagree.

You think Luongo will play for a million dollars a year and be a minor leaguer
I think he would retire.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

I have mentioned a few times how Mike Gillis has acted like Scott Howson did during the Rick Nash trade talks, where both mentioned they would get an A+ package of players, prospects, and picks. However Howson didn't get the best value in return despite saying he wouldn't trade Nash for anything less and I think the same thing will happen to Mike Gillis. Anyway it turns out that Adam Proteau thinks the same thing as I did.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-to-watch.html

Quote:
Canucks GM Mike Gillis says he won’t trade Luongo unless he gets market value. Well, best of luck to him on that front. Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson talked that kind of tough game about Rick Nash, but he eventually had to settle for the best deal that was out there.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I was being sarcastic. He said getting rid of luongos cap hit was the biggest win for Vancouver. By that logic we should trade Kesler/Sedins/Hamhuis because capspace is more valuable than their playing ability.
Oops...sorry. Smileys help convey the message at times, y'know .

Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I have mentioned a few times how Mike Gillis has acted like Scott Howson did during the Rick Nash trade talks, where both mentioned they would get an A+ package of players, prospects, and picks. However Howson didn't get the best value in return despite saying he wouldn't trade Nash for anything less and I think the same thing will happen to Mike Gillis. Anyway it turns out that Adam Proteau thinks the same thing as I did.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-to-watch.html
Rick Nash was fed up and clearly wanted out, I don't see that to be the same case as Luongo. Luo has always said he would be fine to stay a Canuck.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
FAMOUSfin

I thought market value = best deal out there.
If it isn't a deal available in the goalie market, how is it market value?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Would the lightning platoon? Lindback a outright starter?

Mtl:
Vinny
2nd(tb)

TB:
Luongo

Van:
Subban

Old
01-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboholic View Post
The first part is a possibility, the second is just wishful thinking on your part.
The team that finishes dead last in the league (not saying that's going to be Toronto) is much less likely to retain first overall with the new CBA rules; all 14 non-playoff teams are in the lottery, and there is no longer a four-position limit to their movement. This means that if just one the other 13 teams wins the lottery, the last-place team picks second.

Short version: opining that a team that finishes last may not get the first overall is no longer wishful thinking.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
best of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Leaf fans sure have a bad case of "Beaten Wife Syndrome"...Whatever, I don't even know why we are trying to deal with the Leafs anyway.
Because were one [if not theONLY] team willing to "roll the dice" on this one!
I am sure Florida also is of the opinion that they would want get him for for less than the leafs would offer

Closed Thread