HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Amnesty Buyouts

Old
01-06-2013, 06:33 PM
TurdFerguson

vCash: 500
At first, I thought Hossa being mentioned was a joke...then an extended joke. Now I'm just concerned that there's something wrong with the drinking water in Chicago.

Hossa was our best player last year. He isn't being bought out.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:38 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Just so glad we moved Campbell for overpaid scrubs only to see this buyout clause in the new CBA. We'd have been a much better team with him last year.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I don't agree with it but I understand the reasoning- Hossa has 5-ish more per year for another 7-8 years or something like that right? I love Hossa, but I think age will catch up with him well before his contract ends.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I don't agree with it but I understand the reasoning- Hossa has 5-ish more per year for another 7-8 years or something like that right? I love Hossa, but I think age will catch up with him well before his contract ends.
But they aren't going to pay him 39 million dollars just to go away!

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
When will people understand that there is no way Hossa is playing out that contract. He has four or five years left in Chicago tops. After four more seasons at 7.9 mil it drops to 4 mil (at which time he is very easy trade to a team looking to get to the cap floor)and after that Hossa is not playing anymore for a mil a season. Just learn that in reality Hossa has only 5 years left tops and depending on how Hossa feels he may not even play out the 4 mil season.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Hossa isn't getting bought out because he's a top 5 player at his position. Jesus people.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Just so glad we moved Campbell for overpaid scrubs only to see this buyout clause in the new CBA. We'd have been a much better team with him last year.
Our PP would have been better and that's about it. The trade was still a good idea.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Yeah that will go well...

Bowman: "Hey Marian, remember that MASSIVE contract you signed that would have you get paid millions of $$$ for the next 10 years?"

Hossa: "Yeah of course i do! I love that contract and the millions of $$$!"

Bowman: "Great well since you were throttled by Torres and we're not sure if you're going to be the same player again we're going to buy you out. But then we're going to give you a NEW contract where you make less money and for not as long! Sound good?"

Hossa: "Sure! I love making less money! I also love signing new contracts after we already agree to a contract a few years ago! Thanks Mr. Bowman!"
He gets 2/3 of the money the Hawks would have to pay him and he gets to sign a new contract else where, in the long run it could actually get him more money.

At the end of the day this is a cut throat business, yes if Hossa isn't the same player you absolutely buy him out, at his age and his possible declining skill he isn't worth that contact.

Buying him out wouldn't hurt the Hawks in any way in a FA mind, players know it's just part of the game.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

thinking about the big picture and long term, it may be good to trade Hossa. Need to see how Saad or other prospects will do in the NHL this year. If TT will be in the NHL within 1-2 years and be a 40+ point player. If this is the case, we can think about this for sure. Too early to tell. He will have to play 48+ games before we know this. If Torres ended his elite level with the hit, we buy him out.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Bjure

Montador and Olesz is my guess, but if Olesz not going up against the cap, i'll think Frolik.

Bjure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
But they aren't going to pay him 39 million dollars just to go away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhary9 View Post
When will people understand that there is no way Hossa is playing out that contract. He has four or five years left in Chicago tops. After four more seasons at 7.9 mil it drops to 4 mil (at which time he is very easy trade to a team looking to get to the cap floor)and after that Hossa is not playing anymore for a mil a season. Just learn that in reality Hossa has only 5 years left tops and depending on how Hossa feels he may not even play out the 4 mil season.
I think you guys may have missed the part where I don't agree with it.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Hossa isn't getting bought out because he's a top 5 player at his position. Jesus people.
That's not the reason he won't get bought out.

If I were Stan and Rocky told me I have unlimited $$, I'd play Hossa this season, try to find anyone who really really wants to pay out less $$ than the cap floor and unload that contract. If that doesn't happen, I buy him out this summer.

The guy is not going to be playing when he is in his 40's and has already earned 95% of his contract. The last 5 years of that deal could be very crippling for the team over that period of time.

But it won't happen because Rocky won't spend $30+m to buy out a player and then reinvest that money in another player.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
RomersWorld

So is Olesz going to count against the cap or what? When do we find that out...I would've thought it would be known by now.

RomersWorld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
So is Olesz going to count against the cap or what? When do we find that out...I would've thought it would be known by now.
Yes, I read that 1 way deals in the AHL over 900K count against the cap. We may as well let him play if we aren't going to buy him out.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Anyone seriously talking about buying Hossa out is nuts. One concussion doesn't signal the end of his productivity. Crosby went through much worse the last two seasons and he dominated when he got back on the ice.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

too early to talk about this. We have another 48 games before we have to make that decision

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Anyone seriously talking about buying Hossa out is nuts. One concussion doesn't signal the end of his productivity. Crosby went through much worse the last two seasons and he dominated when he got back on the ice.
This post is laughable. Are you seriously comparing the Hossa situation to Crosby?

One is the best player in the NHL signed through age 37.

The other is maybe one of the top-20 forwards in the league, already 34, signed through age 42.

People who think it is ridiculous to buy-out Hossa are being extremely short-sighted. Yeah he might be decent for the next four seasons. But do you really think he is going to play out the last 4-5 years of that contract in his last-30's early 40's when making $1m a year?

At that point we'll be allocating a $5+ million chunk of our cap to a guy not on the team. For 4-5 seasons.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
sketch22

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
At that point we'll be allocating a $5+ million chunk of our cap to a guy not on the team. For 4-5 seasons.
This is the part I think people are missing. If the CBA does in fact include the "recapture" clause, Hossa's cap hit will stay with the Hawks even after he retires.

Hossa (who will be 34 when the season starts) still has 9 years left on his contract (only 4 at his current pay rate). Does anyone here really think Hossa will still be producing (or even playing) at 38? Is hopefully 3-4 more years of Hossa worth 5 years of dead cap space?

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
hockeydoug

Hossa isn't going anywhere unless he's still really injured when he gets back with the team. I think Olesz will be the only buyout on the roster since it's likely the final CBA won't allow a Redden or Olesz type to be buried in the AHL.

Montador will be paid less than the cap hit so he'll have a little value to some of the budgeted teams, same with Frolik.

It's possible that some of the markets will get hammered when play resumes and that could open up some opportunities for some bigger spenders to acquire some assets and a bad contract to buyout. Tough to speculate until we see all the rules attached to the buyouts. Hopefully the league and PA put plenty of safegaurds in to avoid some of the problems these buyouts could create.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:50 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
This is the part I think people are missing. If the CBA does in fact include the "recapture" clause, Hossa's cap hit will stay with the Hawks even after he retires.

Hossa (who will be 34 when the season starts) still has 9 years left on his contract (only 4 at his current pay rate). Does anyone here really think Hossa will still be producing (or even playing) at 38? Is hopefully 3-4 more years of Hossa worth 5 years of dead cap space?
I think some of the reason for frontloading those deals is so they could unload them to a payroll dodging team down the road. If I'm not mistaken, Hossa doesn't have a NTC or NMC so there will always be a team interested in a contract with a cap hit bigger than the salary. He becomes very tradable after 2016. I have little doubt that GMs like Bowman or Holland or Lombardi considered overpaying a little to avoid a trade restriction clause.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I think some of the reason for frontloading those deals is so they could unload them to a payroll dodging team down the road. If I'm not mistaken, Hossa doesn't have a NTC or NMC so there will always be a team interested in a contract with a cap hit bigger than the salary. He becomes very tradable after 2016. I have little doubt that GMs like Bowman or Holland or Lombardi considered overpaying a little to avoid a trade restriction clause.
I would agree with this on a case not as extreme as Hossa's. There are other ways to get to the cap floor than to trade for a guy who is going to retire or just isn't playable anymore. I just have a hard time seeing a team do this.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hawkaholic

Even if Hossa retires after he is traded, it will count against our cap.

I'm starting to think the Hawks will buy him out not this summer, but next, especially if he runs into injury problems again.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Buying out Hossa isnt out of the realm of possible.

The contract is a joke to begin with. Hossa and his injury concern might be enough for Wirtz to say he made a mistake and give him his money. The Score reported he was one of the two, I will take their word for it atm then a bunch of fans on a message board, but thats just me.

Sometimes, the posters have to come off the wall.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
sketch22

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I'm starting to think the Hawks will buy him out not this summer, but next, especially if he runs into injury problems again.
Exactly my train of thought. It's not like the Hawks have to buy him out immediately.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Sevanston

One cool thing about these buyouts is they'll change the FA pool for the next two summers.

For example, if Luongo gets bought out this summer, we could throw a more reasonable contract at him ourselves and potentially have a great fix to our goalie issues right there.

Problem is, Tallon probably would too, and I know he still wants to play in Florida.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote