HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Sportsnet: Jamison group about to finalize Coyotes purchase

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
David_99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
Nobody knows how the court will interpret this issue, it is all speculation at this point. The interesting thing is we have not heard a word from GWI, so they either think they won't have a case or more likely, they have raised all the money they can from this now dead horse. Remember, GWI is interested in donations so they focus on the issues that generate donations. They likely have no interest in this issue any longer for that reason, if so there will be no challenge. Time will tell....
What would GWI say now that hasn't already been said? Why show what cards they are currently holding? They can't do anything until the deal is completed and (their view of) the law is broken. IMO, Jamison's silence and refusal to his name investors to council is much more telling.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What would GWI say now that hasn't already been said? Why show what cards they are currently holding? They can't do anything until the deal is completed and (their view of) the law is broken. IMO, Jamison's silence and refusal to his name investors to council is much more telling.
GWI would have plenty to say because they would use the additional press as a way to generate new donations. They would be doing it now if they thought it would bring in more donations. Jamisons silence on investors is not unusual in a private corporation.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Pretty much. I'll believe that this whole song and dance is over once Jamison writes the check to the NHL and we find out that it didn't bounce.
I don't expect anything less but Bettman saying : We have a deal, now lets just wait the call back from the bank saying the money went thru.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Have the council even asked? The city is signing on with Jamieson, whether he has partners or not was apparently not relevant, as far as the city is concerned. What I don't quite understand is, did the city agree to the AMF with Jamieson or the team's owner? It is very unlikely that Jamieson will be the majority owner of the team.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Have the council even asked?
Numerous times. And each time Jamison said he will not disclose who his investors are. Most likely because each time he was asked, even Jamison still didn't know who they were yet.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
It's Hamilton and there isn't: There's literally 2 max.

I was being sarcastic in my reply.
Hamilton won't get a team because it is super tiny metro area and they are in toronto and sabres back yard. We can't get a team in baltimore because of the Captials and we have about 4 times as many people as your town. sorry i think you are on the bottom of list of places to ever get a team.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Hamilton won't get a team because it is super tiny metro area and they are in toronto and sabres back yard. We can't get a team in baltimore because of the Captials and we have about 4 times as many people as your town. sorry i think you are on the bottom of list of places to ever get a team.
Trust me: That won't be a factor in any way. Hamilton is the same size as Winnipeg and has Mississauga and Toronto less than an hour away. The team would completely sell out as quickly as the Jets if one was awarded to us.

Toronto and Buffalo are the the two factors I was referring to.

Does Baltimore even have an arena or a potential owner(s)?

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 01-07-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

I'm sure many have seen this article already courtesy of Mr. Sunnucks

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...financing.html

The irony I find is here's Sportsnet coming out saying the Jamison is on the verge of purchasing the Yotes and the PHX business journal says he may need financing.

So much for the evil Canadian media....

Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
I'm sure many have seen this article already courtesy of Mr. Sunnucks

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...financing.html

The irony I find is here's Sportsnet coming out saying the Jamison is on the verge of purchasing the Yotes and the PHX business journal says he may need financing.

So much for the evil Canadian media....
There is "evil" and then there's fishing in an ocean. Sunnucks is trolling for krill.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Legend,

The 2 paragraphs highlighted are not the only possible interpretation of "What it gets in return." Several posters on the PHX threads have suggested that the 2 cases in the original post indicate that it it NOT a matter of comparing to other arenas only, but comparing to other arenas AND the benefits to Glendale from the use of the arena.

Under that interpretation, Glendale is contracting to pay twice the going rate, and gets nothing in return (the indirect benefits at the local merchants are not admissable in this case).

Now, I am not saying how the court would rule. And, I am not saying that Glendale shouldn't keep the team. But, under that interpretation I gave above, it seems GWI has a decent case, don't you think?
Here in AZ it's a crap shoot in the courts.

Everyone thought GWI would stomp on Glendale when the original AMF was contested in court last summer and they lost out on nearly every count. Even with GWI having a win over Glendale in regards to withholding documents on previous lease negotiations.

But like I said above.... GWI would like to have the gift clause refined further than as it stands now. If they believe suing Glendale over this latest agreement would get them towards that goal they might decide to file.

However.... GWI also uses publicity as a tool for its agenda. They have already been exposed to having connections with the MLB team (Diamondbacks) who want to have the city of Phoenix turn over a publicly funded stadium to their control. Short of lip service.... they have avoided the City of Mesa spending tens of millions on a new spring training facility for the Chicago Cubs, who will get the lion's share of benefits there.

From a local political standpoint... they not viewed very well at the moment.

Still.... who knows???? This is the wild wild west.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Numerous times. And each time Jamison said he will not disclose who his investors are. Most likely because each time he was asked, even Jamison still didn't know who they were yet.
It seems that the only investors publicly mentioned are the IEH guys, though that should be take with a grain of salt since it comes from Sunnucks (who, I think, gets much of his information from IEH and HFB anyway).

Old
01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...chase-coyotes/

Quote:
[Monday], deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TVA Sports that the league still expected the deal to close by the end of the month and that a sale price had been agreed on.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

This is the same Bill Daly that told CoG council that a deal would be done within weeks when they got the first "insurance policy" a couple years ago.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The NHL is considering to help finance the team for Jamison?

Haha, wow. You have Glendale willing to take losses, the NHL ready to throw money to a private investment group. This deal seems pretty sweet for Jamison.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
thom

It's nothing more than a mafia pyramid scheme just like our banks do their work.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
When did the price ever change? Hasn't it always been $170 million?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing202 View Post
When did the price ever change? Hasn't it always been $170 million?
I was about to say, unless the price changed, the agreement on price is the same as about 2 years ago.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
So, three weeks?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Oh wow.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Ernie

Why wouldn't Jamison take his time? The NHL is on the hook for all losses in the mean time.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Why wouldn't Jamison take his time? The NHL is on the hook for all losses in the mean time.
Following that thought process.....why would he ever buy the thing?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
BoltSTH

Looks more and more like Barrie/Koules and the Bolts. They had to borrow from seller (PS&E/Davidson's widow), then did not have enough $ to keep the club running and had to borrow from NHL at the end. Bought for $190m and sold for $130m and left the Bolts in a shambles. You need an owner like Davidson (estimated worth $4b) or Jeff Vinik (est. $600-800m) that can afford to own a franchise and be willing to invest in the club.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Why the hell would the NHL finance a guy to keep a team in a market that never made a dime?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
Wow

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...tes-investors/

He traveled to the middle east to find investors. One the best comments under that article was:
"Are you sure he wasn’t just looking into more viable locations to move the Coyotes to?" hahaha!

Old
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

One week until the new council members start working...tick tock

Closed Thread