HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Juniors Journal: 30 Final Thoughts

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

There's nothing else going on in hockey, right?

Here's a change of pace one wrapping up my final thoughts on what was a spectacular World Juniors tournament (and yes, I'm from Canada - horrible from our nation's perspective, but great tournament form hockey perpective.

(yes, I acknowledged Friedman as the inspiration)

There's a lot of criticism of Canada, but tried to balance it with praise from the nations and players that deserve it.

Feel free to share your thoughts. It was difficult to keep it to thirty.

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/world-ju...inal-thoughts/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Some good questions-although a lot of focus is on the country that finished second and not first.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Yakushev72

The IIHF lists Russia as having 340 rinks - he lists the number at 260. My guess is that the IIHF is right, and he's wrong. As Russia continues to build rinks continuously, 340 is no doubt already an obsolete number. It justs goes to show that the number of rinks and the number of registered players aren't necessarily indicators of international competitive ability.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The IIHF lists Russia as having 340 rinks - he lists the number at 260. My guess is that the IIHF is right, and he's wrong. As Russia continues to build rinks continuously, 340 is no doubt already an obsolete number. It justs goes to show that the number of rinks and the number of registered players aren't necessarily indicators of international competitive ability.
Thanks Yakushev - your last statement was the point being made - I was going to qualify that numbers are likely constantly changing. Do you have a link to the IIHF page that you cite your numbers from?

Appreciate the comments.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Some good questions-although a lot of focus is on the country that finished second and not first.
Thanks Rabid Ranger - as the author, I still agree with you! I'm fascinated by the way Sweden has transformed themselves consciously over past number of years. Plus, remember the 3 top blueliners they were missing (plus Pettersson as well).

Keeping it to 30 thoughts proved very difficult as I seem to have about 200 floating around.

I also probably focused too much on Team Canada - which could have been a separate piece in itself.