HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
For anyone who cares, apparently Eklund will be posting what he's heard about Luongo sometime this afternoon. Now yes it is Eklund, but hopefully he mentions something about Philly in there as I would definitely put a lot of stock into it at that point given his track record with Philly rumors.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:37 PM
MikeK

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
For anyone who cares, apparently Eklund will be posting what he's heard about Luongo sometime this afternoon. Now yes it is Eklund, but hopefully he mentions something about Philly in there as I would definitely put a lot of stock into it at that point given his track record with Philly rumors.
Would PHI really buyout Ilya Bryzgalov? That's a lot of money to pay a player to not play for the team. Still though, PHI definitely has some players that Gillis would be interested in and I would think Luo would totally be willing to play for them.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I don't remember the last time a goalie of Luongo's caliber was available for trade. They rarely are so I doubt any return you hear of or find will be relevant to this situation.
The last time a goalie of Lu's calibre was available for trade was 2006...that goalie was Lu.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Would PHI really buyout Ilya Bryzgalov? That's a lot of money to pay a player to not play for the team. Still though, PHI definitely has some players that Gillis would be interested in and I would think Luo would totally be willing to play for them.
Wouldn't put it past Holmgren to do something like that.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Isn't the owner/majority owner (whatever it is) of the Flyers mega rich? Like I think he owns comcast and some other businesses.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Even if they got Luongo, wouldn't the Flyers still have to carry both deals this year?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Scurr

Philly would be crazy to buyout Bryz right now. At the very least they have to see what he can do this season.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
The last time a goalie of Lu's calibre was available for trade was 2006...that goalie was Lu.
Yeas true. But he really hadn't established himself as an elite goalie then. He hadn't seen the playoffs and his critics questioned whether he had the ability to get a team into the playoffs. I think he's definitely higher rated now then he was then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Wouldn't put it past Holmgren to do something like that.
It wouldn't be Homers call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Isn't the owner/majority owner (whatever it is) of the Flyers mega rich? Like I think he owns comcast and some other businesses.
Yes, totally. Ed Snider is wealthy even amongst owners. The guy has no end to his fortune. If ever there was a team willing to make a bold buyout move it would definitely be PHI

Old
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I can't see what the Flyers would have that they're willing to move and we want.

I meant, I'd love to grab Schenn or Couturier, but those two players are waaaay outside of our ballpark.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:57 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

capgeek is tweeting that teams will be able to retain cap/salary in trades.

Quote:
CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Up to 50% of SPC can be retained in trade. An SPC can be traded twice with salary/cap hit retained. #NHL

15m CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Teams can retain salary/cap hit for up to three SPCs, to a maximum aggregate cap hit of 15 per cent of upper limit. #NHL

15m CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Under the new CBA, teams can retain salary/cap hit in a trade. Conditions to follow. #NHL
Opens up a lot of possibilities. Gives the Canucks more flexibility to make deals if they are willing to cough up some cash. Gilman's cap managing talents will be more essential than ever

Old
01-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

That is huge, could really help the luongo trade

Old
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
I can't see what the Flyers would have that they're willing to move and we want.

I meant, I'd love to grab Schenn or Couturier, but those two players are waaaay outside of our ballpark.
Voracek or Simmonds + would be great as well

Old
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

If a team like the Panthers would move a guy like Weiss, I don't think there is anyone on the Leafs team(that they're willing to give up) that matches his pedigree. He'd be a great fit until Kesler comes back, a true #2 center that could play on any NHL team.

Also, Bozak being bad defensively is just a myth. There might be bad defensive players on the leafs individually, but Bozak isn't one of them.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradervik View Post

Opens up a lot of possibilities. Gives the Canucks more flexibility to make deals if they are willing to cough up some cash. Gilman's cap managing talents will be more essential than ever
It makes way more sense to bring back a Komisarek type cap dump and buy them out rather than donate cap space which we are then stuck with for ten years.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You can forget Simmonds coming back, I think Philly is in a good spot with their wingers, they got some serious size. They had more size last year with JVR and Jagr though lol

Old
01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
They're not giving either of those two up either for Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
MikeK

Quote:
I just love the way Simmons plays. That kid would be great.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post

Just throwing out a new idea here: Something around Luke Schenn for Luongo?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
YogiCanucks

Bjugstad.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

I'd rather have Couterier or Bjustad than Simmons or Voracek

Edit: even if we had to add something else to Luo for either an a small +

Old
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
It makes way more sense to bring back a Komisarek type cap dump and buy them out rather than donate cap space which we are then stuck with for ten years.
Take a second look at the capgeek tweets. This will really help to open up possible trades with "cap floor" teams that are interested in Luongo but can't afford his salary. Luongo + $$ to Florida for Bujgstad.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I don't remember the last time a goalie of Luongo's caliber was available for trade. They rarely are so I doubt any return you hear of or find will be relevant to this situation.
I can't think of one. Mostly they don't get dealt, when they do it's not at the deadline because teams don't usually have a spare elite goalie.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Jarko2004

I'm starting to think that with the heavy condensed schedule, you split time with Schneider and Luongo. That's the best hockey move. As was already noted, Kesler's salary will be partially subtracted. A plan of playing your playoff goalie 40 to 48 games in 3 months is a dangerous one.

I don't know when the trade deadline is now this season, but perhaps you entertain moving Luongo then, assuming the Canucks are in good shape standings wise and have/get a ready backup at that time. Even then, it's partly out of financial necessity.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Take a second look at the capgeek tweets. This will really help to open up possible trades with "cap floor" teams that are interested in Luongo but can't afford his salary. Luongo + $$ to Florida for Bujgstad.
I would rather take Upshall in return and buy him out after this season than have a buffer of lost cap space for ten years. I assume we'd like to be able to contend more than we want the improvement of a third round pick to a second because of cash we put in.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:

I'm confused, isn't the number 1 reason Luongo needs to be traded because of the Canuck's high cap hit of goaltender (some of which needs to be used elsewhere). Not because the Canucks can't afford to write his cheque. How is retaining salary against cap an advantage?

Closed Thread