HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics III

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynz View Post
So only attractive women should be allowed to breastfeed?
No , that's not what I said at all.The rules should be fair for everybody therefore I would prefer if breastfeeding was illegal in restaurents , but apparently the justice system thinks otherwise.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
No , that's not what I said at all.The rules should be fair for everybody therefore I would prefer if breastfeeding was illegal in restaurents , but apparently the justice system thinks otherwise.
Actually the legislatures think otherwise - this is under the federal and provincial Human Rights Codes as enforced by human rights tribunals.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Daynz
What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
That's the only part of my response that you decided to quote and address? And you certainly implied it with your example.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
I already said that it didn't bother me , I then used an extreme example for the sake of the discussion but I understand there's just no way around it.I don't want the law to adjust to my little needs , I'm not a child.

Want the cold hard truth? I've been eating at restaurents since I was very young and I never encountered such a situation.I sincerely can't even remember seeing a women breastfeeding her child in public in my life.

Last edited by Jafar: 01-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And your belief would be irrelevant. Legal rights trump your subjective belief and if someone attempts to use said beliefs to discriminate or harass a person who is exercising such a right then there is a process to deal with any discrimination and/or harassment.

In BC for example the Ministry of the Attorney General is quite clear on this point:
Human Rights in British Columbia

SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT

British Columbia’s Human Rights Code protects people from being treated differently and poorly because of their gender. We all have a duty to respect each other’s human rights. The B.C. Human Rights Code (the Code) is an important law that protects people from discrimination, including harassment. Th e Code allows a person or group to file a complaint with the BC Human Rights Tribunal if they believe they have been discriminated against or harassed, and protects them from retaliation if they make a complaint.
Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women
It is illegal to discriminate against a woman because she may become pregnant, is pregnant, or has a baby. Nursing mothers have the right to breastfeed their children in a public area, and it is discriminatory to ask them to cover up or breastfeed somewhere else.
http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/human-rights...Harassment.pdf

If a person or business attempts to interfere with a guaranteed legal right or harass a person for exercising said right, why should a complaint or suit not be filed?
Do me a favour. Reread my post and tell me if you didn't make a mistake when reading it, because your post doesn't actually respond to any point I made at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Do me a favour. Reread my post and tell me if you didn't make a mistake when reading it, because your post doesn't actually respond to any point I made at all.
No mistake.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
No mistake.
I never said I wanted to restrict a woman's right to breastfeed. You are mistaken and refuse to admit it

Old
01-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I never said I wanted to restrict a woman's right to breastfeed. You are mistaken and refuse to admit it
Nope.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Nope.
You're refusing to admit you're wrong. You can't admit your mistakes and keep pushing your point even though you have zero evidence to support it. It must be embarrassing when this happens in the courtroom.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
You're refusing to admit you're wrong. You can't admit your mistakes and keep pushing your point even though you have zero evidence to support it. It must be embarrassing when this happens in the courtroom.
I have no problem admitting when I am wrong but this is not one of those rare times.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
I have no problem admitting when I am wrong but this is not one of those rare times.
It is one of the many times where you are "right" without any evidence to support your supposed correctness.

Suffice it to say, I never made any claim that women did not have the right to breastfeed in public, nor did I have any intention of trying to stop them. If you can find a quote to the contrary, I would be impressed.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Presented without comment.

Quote:
Alberta lakes show chemical effects of oilsands, study finds

A new study released today shows chemicals from 50 years of oilsands production are showing up in increasing amounts in lakes in Northern Alberta. And the effects are being felt much further away than previously thought.

The joint study between scientists at Queens University and Environment Canada looked at core samples from five lakes close to the oilsands mining and upgrading operations in Fort McMurray, Alta. They also studied samples from Namur Lake, 90 kilometres northwest.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
guest1467

Suppress. Suppress. Suppress.

Quote:
The study found that the levels of PAHs in all six lakes had increased anywhere from 2 times to 23 times background levels in the early 1960s, before the start of oilsands mining in the region. The PAHs fall into the water from air pollution and are deposited in the mud over time. The study's lead author, biologist John Smol from Queen's University, says these formerly pristine northern lakes now have the same chemical composition as lakes near urban areas. "This is an early warning indicator of what is happening, he said. "These lakes are not pollution pits by any means, but these wilderness lakes are similar to your typical urban lake."

Old
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
jgravessimcoe

Quote:
Alberta lakes show chemical effects of oilsands, study finds
By golly! Who woulda thought? What about all those commercials about how the oilsands produce green energy?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Johnny LaRue

Yeah, I mean you need to be pretty delusional to think that there isn't going to be some pretty substantial environmental repercussions to the oil sands. Also this news of the lakes and rivers being affected should surprise no one. Any time you have a process that emits toxins or waste, it always seems to find its way into the water system.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Chris Spence, director of the Toronto District School Board admitted to plagiarizing an article.

CBC

Quote:
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has called for "major sanctions" against Chris Spence, the director of education for Toronto's public school board, after Spence admitted plagiarizing passages in an opinion piece he wrote for the Toronto Star.
Apology

Quote:
Earlier this month, I wrote an op-ed for the Toronto Star. The subject of the op-ed was sports and young people. It’s a subject I am passionate about, having been involved in sports, and education, for as long as I can remember.

I wrote that op-ed and – in no less than five different instances – I did not give proper credit for the work of others. I did not attribute their work. I did research and wrote down notes and came back at it the next day, and wrote down the notes.

I can provide excuses for how and why this happened – that I was rushed, that I was sloppy, that I was careless – but that’s all they would be: excuses. There is no excuse for what I did. In the position I am honoured to occupy, in the wonderful job I do every single day, I of all people should have known that.

I am ashamed and embarrassed by what I did. I have invited criticism and condemnation, and I richly deserve both.
My favourite line in his apology:
Quote:
And I intend to take real and meaningful steps to learn from this, and learn how to avoid a reoccurrence.
Thanks Spency, like you need to learn how to avoid plagiarizng. It's not exactly a confusing concept.

Given you don't have the integrity to resign, I guess you'll have to be fired.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Chris Spence, director of the Toronto District School Board admitted to plagiarizing an article.

CBC

Apology

My favourite line in his apology:

Thanks Spency, like you need to learn how to avoid plagiarizng. It's not exactly a confusing concept.

Given you don't have the integrity to resign, I guess you'll have to be fired.
Now if he was sports talk show host/newspaper columnist he would be fired.

A Vancouver newspaper has fired one of its sports columnists after he admitted that he copied parts of a Sports Illustrated article and used them in his own piece.

The decision came after David Pratt admitted he plagiarized material from a Sept. 12, 2000, article written by Rick Reilly, a basketball commentator, the Province announced Wednesday.

Pratt, a long-time sports journalist, wrote about Canadian Hockey broadcaster Bob Cole in his column on Tuesday.

A reader contacted the newspaper after noticing three separate spots where phrases used in Pratt's piece were almost identical to Reilly's column.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ist-fired.html

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Wetcoaster

It now appears he may be fired and that there may have been other instances of plagiarism by Spence.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/news/story/...school326.html

Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Now if he was sports talk show host/newspaper columnist he would be fired.

A Vancouver newspaper has fired one of its sports columnists after he admitted that he copied parts of a Sports Illustrated article and used them in his own piece.

The decision came after David Pratt admitted he plagiarized material from a Sept. 12, 2000, article written by Rick Reilly, a basketball commentator, the Province announced Wednesday.

Pratt, a long-time sports journalist, wrote about Canadian Hockey broadcaster Bob Cole in his column on Tuesday.

A reader contacted the newspaper after noticing three separate spots where phrases used in Pratt's piece were almost identical to Reilly's column.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ist-fired.html
I have absolutely no respect for plagiarists, and think in education and journalism there should be a zero tolerance policy amongst "professionals".

Old
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I have absolutely no respect for plagiarists, and think in education and journalism there should be a zero tolerance policy amongst "professionals".
If you are going to use sources (and there is good reason to do so) then you need to acknowledge that source. That is academically honest.

Lawyers do this as a matter of course when constructing arguments.

To appropriate said sources and present them as your own work product - that is plagiarism and should result in serious consequences.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
If you are going to use sources (and there is good reason to do so) then you need to acknowledge that source. That is academically honest.
There is a problem with that in the form of, if anonymous sources can't remain anonymous, then they won't provide information.

I think there's a good balance to be had between having anonymous sources and still enforce rules keeping journalists more honest. I don't know that that is, but I can't see forcing all journalists to name their sources as being better than the current environment.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya gone! He resigned.

Turns out his PHD was plagiarized too, fun stuff.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
There is a problem with that in the form of, if anonymous sources can't remain anonymous, then they won't provide information.

I think there's a good balance to be had between having anonymous sources and still enforce rules keeping journalists more honest. I don't know that that is, but I can't see forcing all journalists to name their sources as being better than the current environment.
That is a completely different issue from plagiarism.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
jgravessimcoe

This would be a bombshell if people actually cared about how government worked in this country. Unfortunately, I don't see much of a stink resulting from this at all.
In case there was any questions as to who's running the show...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ntal-laws.html

Quote:
A letter obtained by Greenpeace through access to information laws and passed on to the CBC reveals the oil and gas industry was granted its request that the federal government change a series of environmental laws to advance "both economic growth and environmental performance."
What the **** is this new concept of 'environmental performance', and how is giving carte blance to the energy sector supposed to achieve it?!

this part was pretty comical:
Quote:
"At the heart of most existing legislation is a philosophy of prohibiting harm: 'environmental' legislation is almost entirely focused on preventing bad things from happening rather than enabling responsible outcomes. This results in a position of adversarial prohibition, rather than enabling collaborative conservation to achieve agreed common goals," explained the EFI.
Yes short-sighted morons, prohibiting harm IS the ENTIRE POINT of environmental legislation, and corporate interests have proven time and time again that they have no interest in 'responsible outcomes'. What a joke!

Say what you will about justin trudeau (and I'm certainly no fanboy), but his calling peter kent a piece of **** is probably one of the best things ever to happen in the HOC.

Timing on this one is pretty good too considering potential high profile meetings over the next couple days...

Old
01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
That is a completely different issue from plagiarism.
Whoops. I confused the arguments going on in this thread with the media bashing posts in the Taft shooting thread.

Closed Thread