HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
whoshouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
No he's not lol. He wants out, he's not going to accept sitting on the bench 40 games out of the year come on. Why do you think he's asked out?
Regarding your comment about him wanting out.. Did he not say a few months ago that he would be willing to come back if Gillis hasn't traded him at the beginning of the season? Is that not enough for you to realize that maybe he would welcome coming back to Vancouver?

Old
01-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
How does this effect luongo?

CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman

CapGeek ‏@capgeek

CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Likely it means more teams would be able to bid on him if Vancouver is willing to eat some of his salary. I don't think they will want to but it should increase competition which is only good for Vancouver in terms of market value.

This may have been answered already (I haven't really been paying attention) but to me the biggest question is who gets hit with the retirement "punishment" that we've heard about? If its the acquiring team in a trade, I think (well I hope) the Leafs will politely bow out of the running and instead go after a veteran 1B or (failing that)backup to support Reimer. I hope Scrivens/Rynnas get a few games in this season but I don't think either is ready for a full backup role in the NHL - especially to a goalie who has a question mark on his back.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
The people who hate on him are the ones who think you have to be a 60 point player to be a top 6 guy, or Chris Neil to be a bottom 6 guy.

Guys an effective, versatile utility player.
Exactly. And he still has the potential to reach 60 points in his career. Hell he may even do it this season if he plays on the second line with Schroeder/Kesler.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Honest question, have you watched kadri play?.

This guy has top end talent, he just needs to smartin up.
I have watched most games Kadri has played at the NHL level. His versatility is among the reasons I am more willing to accept him than say, Y2K. But the comparison to Gardiner and Rielly is unfounded. The former actually managed to not only stay on Toronto's roster but excel, while the latter has significantly higher expectations than Kadri.

Bozak + Kadri is nothing to us.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I think if you take part of the salary you also take the cap hit with it. So if the canucks pay 3m of Lu's salary they get 3m of his capo hit too.
I hope its the other way. Could make for interesting deadlines if you could get a rental player at the deadline for like 1/2 cap hit.

Or a budget team could get a guy like Ballard and only pay like 2m in salary.

Old
roboninja
EYG

I'm not sure what fantasy land people live in where keeping both Lou and Schneider would be "no big deal". You think the chatter is insane now... If the season stats and they are both Canucks, they'll have to add a 4th ring to the circus.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Numbers

Vancouver Keeps Luongo

So much talked about Luongo leaving Vancouver, why not discuss Luongo staying with Vancouver at least till the end of the season. Luongo 24 games and Schneider 24 games, sure sounds like having fresh goalies for the playoffs, not to bad of a deal. Also feel free to include any serious proposals for Schneider, but please keep them serious because Schneider is locked up for 3 years and isn't going anywhere due to free agency.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Because for the next 3/4 months all we will hear is "when is luongo gonna get traded" it's a big distraction.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
So much talked about Luongo leaving Vancouver, why not discuss Luongo staying with Vancouver at least till the end of the season. Luongo 24 games and Schneider 24 games, sure sounds like having fresh goalies for the playoffs, not to bad of a deal. Also feel free to include any serious proposals for Schneider, but please keep them serious because Schneider is locked up for 3 years and isn't going anywhere due to free agency.
Depends on the deal IMO. If they can add a legit piece or two in a trade that can contribute, that's a hell of a lot different than just moving RL so he's not a distraction.

Agree though - in a shortened season it'll be important to have a strong goalie tandem.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Salary, not cap is what im refering to.

A team like FLA has financial constraints.

If fla ownership can pay 3 million a year for a star player who has a 5.3 cap hit it makes it a lot more palatable for them
You mean when Lou is at the tail end of his contract? Let me get this straight, so a team like Florida would be happy to pay 3 million to Lou and take a cap hit of 5.3 to be the back up, and would not rather pay the 3 million to a player who can contribute on a nightly basis? Sounds great, especially with an organization that is cost conscious, being happy to pay a player 3 million a year to be a back up goalie, and take a 5,3 cap hit as well. Not to mention, his contract will not be insured either.

Last edited by New Liskeard: 01-07-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Ho Borvat

[QUOTE=New Liskeard;57250207]
Quote:

That doesnt make him any more appealing to teams. If you're right, sounds like the Nucks are going to get a cap hit if he retires early?
You say teams will get stuck with til hes 42.

Honest Question: How likely do you honestly think it is that he plays out his contract? (%wise)

Old
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I have watched most games Kadri has played at the NHL level. His versatility is among the reasons I am more willing to accept him than say, Y2K. But the comparison to Gardiner and Rielly is unfounded. The former actually managed to not only stay on Toronto's roster but excel, while the latter has significantly higher expectations than Kadri.

Bozak + Kadri is nothing to us.
Strangely enough, that will be up to Gillis and other GM's to decide, not you or I. Why not just keep this top 5 goalie and Schenider and end this discusion?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I actually believe that is likely the case. I see a sleeper team jumping in and getting it done. It will be too bad really because T.O. has a real opportunity to change the direction of their team. Right now that direction is sideways.
Yeah being able to spend up to 70 million this year really allows other teams to get involved now and teams have 2 buy-outs to use as well.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Because for the next 3/4 months all we will hear is "when is luongo gonna get traded" it's a big distraction.
You got 2 great goalies who cares if people say its a distraction. Regardless you have a very good option in net every night. Distractions only matter unless players start playing bad. I doubt distraction will make both play bad. If one goalie starts playing bad play the other. Sounds good to me. Also Luongo and Schneider have great relationship.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I'm not sure what fantasy land people live in where keeping both Lou and Schneider would be "no big deal". You think the chatter is insane now... If the season stats and they are both Canucks, they'll have to add a 4th ring to the circus.
Goalie contraversies have happened before, the difference is that the Toronto media (mainly TSN) really seem to want to push a TO/Vancouver trade - and they're taking us along for the ride. This is not a whole lot different than Boston with the Thomas/Rask situation.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=kack zassian;57250805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post

You say teams will get stuck with til hes 42.

Honest Question: How likely do you honestly think it is that he plays out his contract? (%wise)
I don't think that is likely, however he is a competitor. Again, that is the point, the team that aquires him will take that risk among many others. Even if he plays till 38 or 39 and is not playing up to his standard, is a risk again. Keeping him in Vancouver is the way to go.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
You got 2 great goalies who cares if people say its a distraction. Regardless you have a very good option in net every night. Distractions only matter unless players start playing bad. I doubt distraction will make both play bad. If one goalie starts playing bad play the other. Sounds good to me. Also Luongo and Schneider have great relationship.
Yes they do have a great relationship, but that does not take away the fact the media is going to make a HUGE deal out of it if say....Cory has a bad 10 game stretch, while luongo lights it up.

All you will here is the media ask the players, would u rather have luongo starting, blah blah.

It can't happen this way, it's time to move on.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
caley

Quote:
Please keep all Luongo discussion in Luongo thread.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Yeah being able to spend up to 70 million this year really allows other teams to get involved now and teams have 2 buy-outs to use as well.
This is an excellent point. That whole structure seems purpose-built to bring some sleepers out of the woodwork on trades.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Numbers

Check out TSN's Scott Cullen's analysis on what sort of impact Luongo would have one Leafs

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h532mc

Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
And what if Schneider bombs ,, Luongo plays well

Then Nucks are stuck in a even more difficult choice next summer

Keep Lu or trade younger Schneider

Not to mention there is also scenario that sees Luongo struggle and hurt his value (Or get hurt)

Old
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Please keep all Luongo discussion in Luongo thread.
I dunno I could've sworn this WAS the Luongo thread

(Please dont hurt me)

Old
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Franson has scored 20+ points, on pace for around 30 most years on the 3rd pairing all 3 of his NHL seasons. He would have no problem doing that in Vancouver.

You do realize the Leafs just traded Versteeg because he was playing behind Kulemin and MacArthur on the Leafs 3rd line, right?
Franson spent time on the powerplay, in addition to playing the second pairing in Nashville. He would do neither on our roster. A twenty point defenseman with defensively lapses and consistencies is hardly a worthwhile commodity, especially when you acquired him for nothing and are now attempting to pawn him off for quality.

Versteeg played horrible in Toronto. No one would deny that. We are looking toward his recent resurgence as a better indication of his talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I mentioned earlier but Upshall is probably going to be playing in FL's top 6 this coming season so I dont see the problem. He could play either wing so replace Higgins in your lineup with Upshall and put Higgins back where you had him. He probably fits in perfectly with Booth & Kesler too once Kesler returns. Keep in mind again that Upshall was included due to salary reasons too.

And I'm sorry but Shore is not an average prospect at all and not low on our chart in the least. He's a top 10 prospect in our system which is ranked #2 overall by HF. If he's in another prospect pool like the Canucks, he's most likely a top 5 prospect on the team. Not to mention, he's played so well this season as a rookie AHLer that I think he's definitely jumped over a few guys are really close to being a top 5 prospect in the Panthers pool too. Most Panther fans feel like Shore has leapfrogged Howden right now so offering Shore is giving up real value there. No one knows where that 1st rounder will be either...no guarantee that Panthers make the playoffs either given that they are missing 3 forwards in their lineup right now and its a shortened season when depth is super important. Luongo doesnt guarantee us the playoffs in any way shape or form.
No offense however what cracks Florida's top six and cracks Vancouver's border on night and day. We are a cup contender and Upshall has at no stage of his career shown he is a second liner with any regularity. He would not demote Higgins nor is he an appealing piece. By your own admittance, his inclusion has more to do with salary than incentive. Earlier you drew a parallel to the original Luongo trade. Upshall is a far cry from Bertuzzi, mental issues or not. Vankiller already addressed the concerns with Shore, thus I won't reiterate.

I respect your preference to maintain the status quo but without the aforementioned players involved, I personally have no interest in what you're offering.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Check out TSN's Scott Cullen's analysis on what sort of impact Luongo would have one Leafs

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h532mc
Of course, the first few words are "without getting into the details on his contract".

Old
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Strangely enough, that will be up to Gillis and other GM's to decide, not you or I. Why not just keep this top 5 goalie and Schenider and end this discusion?
And where did I say it would not? This is all speculative fun. If we are to say, "well it's the GMs who shall figure this." What purpose is there for any of us posting? You are applying a straw man.

Closed Thread