HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

vCash: 500
As said, too early too tell with Stef, I hope one day he becomes a good Devils forward.

I do wonder why they did not draft Collberg though sometimes, probably because they drafted forwards from Sweden in recent drafts, Bergfors, Tedenby and Jake.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Its really amazing how many 3rd/4th liners follow that path. If Steve Bernier can continue the promise he showed last year in such a role, he would be a prime example of how players fall into this spot. Score at a great rate in juniors, don't score at any notable rate in the pros, become a bottom 6, physical forward.
Asham also had 96 point in 67 games. Doesn't always hold true though. A guy like Paul Bissonnette only put up 19 points in 67 games and became a fourth liner.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
CerebralGenesis

He's in trouble if he becomes anything that resembles a player close to talent near Bissonnette.

No offense to Biznasty.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
He's in trouble if he becomes anything that resembles a player close to talent near Bissonnette.

No offense to Biznasty.
Not saying he is, although Biz did go in the third round I think. Just pointing out that not all 4th liners put up big numbers in junior.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
CerebralGenesis

did TG really try the fan sympathy post-lockout card on Lou and expect it to work? Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Not saying he is, although Biz did go in the third round I think. Just pointing out that not all 4th liners put up big numbers in junior.
If Matteau just becomes a 4th liner I'll be disappointed.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

LGD! All I got to say!

Old
01-07-2013, 02:46 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

So with this whole "cap benefit recapture" clause, we're going to be punished TWICE for a contract that never technically existed?

End of the day, we didn't benefit from that contract because Kovalchuk never played a second under that contract, unlike some of the other contracts out there.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
njdevil26

Holy Christ what you guys Cold War McCarthyist followers? When did it come commonplace to call someone a Ranger fan if we disagree with something they say?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
So with this whole "cap benefit recapture" clause, we're going to be punished TWICE for a contract that never technically existed?

End of the day, we didn't benefit from that contract because Kovalchuk never played a second under that contract, unlike some of the other contracts out there.
That's what I'm reading.... The Devils go some heavy punishments, didn't appeal, and adhered to the whole thing... it's ridiculous. If they want to do that, they can hand Mr Vanderbeek 3 mil in cash and a first rounder.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Devils731

Quote:

Cap benefit recapture is for the current contract, which wasn't punished.

So the current contract was never punished and the cap recapture thing isn't punishment anyway, it's an adjustment to balance the cap hit out.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

No, they're getting punished for THIS contract, which doesn't have nearly as much frontloading but is still not very backloaded other than the token $3-4 million years. At least unlike the other contract, everyone else is getting 'punished' similarly too.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Ah for the hell of it:

C - Kovalchuk
A - Elias
A - Salvador/Clarkson/Zajac

Old
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

NHL Preview for the Devils via TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79370

Old
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
NHL Preview for the Devils via TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79370
Pretty basic preview, although I do like the addition of the depth chart.

Damn, do we need forwards bad.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Devils731

Just figured I'd throw it out there, the Devils "awful" PP finished 14th last season.

from TSN preview:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79370

"Jon Merrill and Alexander Urbom, big stay-at-home types, are two defenders that could be NHL-ready sooner than later."

I don't think either of those guys is known to be a stay at home guy. I, at least, think of stay at home guys as guys who play good positional defense but don't skate that way, that's why they stay at home, while both those guys are good skaters.

"Kovalchuk had a solid season last year"

Tough crowd to say Kovy was just solid last year.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Just figured I'd throw it out there, the Devils "awful" PP finished 14th last season.

from TSN preview:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79370

"Jon Merrill and Alexander Urbom, big stay-at-home types, are two defenders that could be NHL-ready sooner than later."

I don't think either of those guys is known to be a stay at home guy. I, at least, think of stay at home guys as guys who play good positional defense but don't skate that way, that's why they stay at home, while both those guys are good skaters.

"Kovalchuk had a solid season last year"

Tough crowd to say Kovy was just solid last year.
We still play a "conservative style"?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
We still play a "conservative style"?
Hahaha.. this is gold.

We made a run to the cup finals with a system that relied on intense and constant fore-checking, beating teams along the way that played versions of our trap and now we're back to being conservative.

I'm glad some things never change though. It's fun watching everyone predict the Devils finish in 9th place every single year.

I am worried about how the short season will affect us though. With 48 games, you're basically screwed if you get off a to a bad 10-15 game start. As crazy as it sounds, teams that start off 3-8 or around there are going to find it hard to make the playoffs. We shouldn't need much time to gel as a team thanks to last year's run but if the rust doesn't come off of some of our guys fast, we could be in trouble.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with Matteau as player. The fact that he's only in his 1st year of junior isn't enough to tag him as a bust or a top line forward.

On my part and I can probably add CG as well, it's the fact that we didn't forfeit the 2nd to last pick that still has me scratching my head, not the actual pick itself... but it's a subject that was brought up a couple of weeks ago and just went away on it's own
Lou has something up his sleeve. There's no doubt in my mind. Either he plans on acquiring a 1st rounder in the next two years, or he plans on exploiting this new CBA like your Saints did with the bounty scandal. They actually won the case, IIRC, because the new CBA said something along the lines of legal action can not be applied to anything that happened under the previous CBA. Something like that.

Either that or Lou is simply planning for a huge roster change (with pretty much all of our team going UFA within the next two years) and is stocking up on assets in preparation.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Lou has something up his sleeve. There's no doubt in my mind. Either he plans on acquiring a 1st rounder in the next two years, or he plans on exploiting this new CBA like your Saints did with the bounty scandal. They actually won the case, IIRC, because the new CBA said something along the lines of legal action can not be applied to anything that happened under the previous CBA. Something like that.

Either that or Lou is simply planning for a huge roster change (with pretty much all of our team going UFA within the next two years) and is stocking up on assets in preparation.
Ooo, I like the sounds of that. A legit argument could be made for us due to the sheer bull**** nature of the punishment, but that's legit legit.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:59 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post

I hope he has something up his sleeve. It wouldn't surprise me if he hired a team of lawyers to go against the "bogus" decision that was made a couple of years ago... Who knows.

Lou is just too smart to let this slide whitout a valid reason or a fight. I hope you're right and Lou will unleash hell with some legal mumbo jumbo that will erase the most "grey area" decision that was made by any commissionner of any league, whitout needing any proof to justify his actions.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

It's pretty hard to challenge a punishment when 2/3 of it has already been rendered (the $3 million fine, losing a third-rounder).

Old
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Nothing is getting changed about that punishment

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Its really amazing how many 3rd/4th liners follow that path. If Steve Bernier can continue the promise he showed last year in such a role, he would be a prime example of how players fall into this spot. Score at a great rate in juniors, don't score at any notable rate in the pros, become a bottom 6, physical forward.
And Bernier was drafted 16th overall in a loaded draft, so we should probably stop complaining about where Matteau was drafted and where our forfeited pick will be.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Alexander Semin (CAR) and Anton Volchenkov (NJ) have left their KHL club Torpedo and are heading back to their NHL cities.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Alexander Semin (CAR) and Anton Volchenkov (NJ) have left their KHL club Torpedo and are heading back to their NHL cities.
Yay!

Now let's get Kovy back here and we're good.

Closed Thread