HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton + Pittsburgh

Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

vCash: 500
Edmonton + Pittsburgh

You have the young Wingerz, we have the young D, let's get together and make some music.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:00 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
You have the young Wingerz, we have the young D, let's get together and make some music.
Problem is that the Oilers also have the young D in Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, J.Schultz, and Gernat. The Oilers don't need anymore prospect D, pass.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think the Pens need young forward prospects to play in the NHL. They could use some depth in that area organizationally but Beau Bennett has played well enough in the AHL to deserve a shot in the NHL. I don't have super high hopes for Tangradi but he needs to get an extended look in the NHL as well.

I think the Pens would swap one of their top D prospects in a package for a legit top line winger around the deadline if it's an option. Not sure what will be out there when that time comes though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Problem is that the Oilers also have the young D in Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, J.Schultz, and Gernat. The Oilers don't need anymore prospect D, pass.
I'd be willing to package a few lesser defensive prospects and some winger talent for one of the Pens elite defensive prospects. Even if Schultz, Klefbom, etc.. pan out, we need top-end defensive talent.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

There really isn't a deal to be made here. Hall, Yakupov and Eberle wouldn't be on the table, Hemsky isn't of interest, and guys like Paajarvi and Hartikainen have promise, but aren't impact NHLers at this point. Besides, Edmonton has lots of defensive prospects too.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Jaded-Fan

Oilers' fan:
I overvalue my prospects and players and undervalue yours. Tell you what, I will package a whole lot of crap for one of your top prospects. You have your pick of aging overpriced vets we would love to get rid of or unproven prospects who likely will never amount to anything. Sound good?

Pens' fan:
I overvalue my prospects and players and undervalue yours. Tell you what, I will package a whole lot of crap for one of your top prospects. You have your pick of aging overpriced vets we would love to get rid of or unproven prospects who likely will never amount to anything. Sound good?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

On a serious note regarding the Pens' defensive prospects. And they likely have the deepest and most talented pool of backend prospects in the league. At some point something will have to give, there are not enough roster spots for the talent there, even given that some will flame out as some prospects inevitably do. But there is a problem with Shero's theory ' PMD's are soooooo valuable, you can always trade them for other needs.' And it shows in this thread. Prospects are not worth a lot, even great prospects. The real value is young players who have gone through the growing pains and proven something. A Gogo then can get you a Neal and Niskanen perhaps. But that was a Goligoski who had gone through several very painful years of suckage learning his craft and who finally was coming into his own. He was a turnover machine when he first came up.

I know we value prospects over all here. Hence the site name. But in the real world they only will have much trade value once they move from prospects to young talented players.

And for a team like the Pens, whose stars are just entering their prime (can you believe Crosby is only 25? Malkin 26?), they can not afford to train young defensemen in their craft for two or three years to make them valuable. That is where Shero's plan seems to fall apart.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
The Oilers have sufficient young D. While I wouldn't be opposed to making a run at Joe Morrow, we're probably better off using guys like Lander and Paajarvi to get a more veteran defenseman.

and not Paul Martin.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'd be willing to package a few lesser defensive prospects and some winger talent for one of the Pens elite defensive prospects. Even if Schultz, Klefbom, etc.. pan out, we need top-end defensive talent.
If the Pens had some gritty RHS D prospects I would be interested, but they don't. None are better then Klefbom, who looks to be a lock with the Oilers next year. It's questionable if Despres, Morrow, and Harrington are that much better then Musil, Marincin, or Gernat. There is nothing there that the Oilers already have, so why make the trade.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
topchowda

Hemsky and PRV might be available. What would Pens be willing to offer to get either one

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Hall for Letang

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Hall for Letang

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
wej20

Quote:
Hall for Letang
that would fill a hole but create an even bigger one.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
The Oilers have sufficient young D. While I wouldn't be opposed to making a run at Joe Morrow, we're probably better off using guys like Lander and Paajarvi to get a more veteran defenseman.

and not Paul Martin.
Ben Lovejoy it is then!

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
MovesLikeJagr68

Quote:
Hall for Letang
The Pens would have to get used to scoring 7+ goals a game just to win if this trade were to happen haha.

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Oilers' fan:

Pens' fan:
Posts like this make me wish we had the ability to 'like' a post.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
MessierII

Omark for a 3rd?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Omark for a 3rd?
He'd end up playing on the 4th line here, Bylsma doesn't really have the patience for "enigmatic" skill guys. He wouldn't get the time and opportunity he needs to flourish here.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Hemsky and PRV might be available. What would Pens be willing to offer to get either one
Hemsky for Martin is the one that makes the most sense.

No one's prospects even need involved. You may not like Martin for his past season, but when he's counted on for just being defensively sound he's there. You can't push him for offense. This happen quite a lot last year and his defensive game suffered from it. I'd peg them as pretty equal value. I doubt you'll get much more for each alone without more being added.

If you want to add something very little to satisfy your disdain for him, we could always add a 5th rounder to get it done.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Hemsky for Martin is the one that makes the most sense.

No one's prospects even need involved. You may not like Martin for his past season, but when he's counted on for just being defensively sound he's there. You can't push him for offense. This happen quite a lot last year and his defensive game suffered from it. I'd peg them as pretty equal value. I doubt you'll get much more for each alone without more being added.

If you want to add something very little to satisfy your disdain for him, we could always add a 5th rounder to get it done.
I'd honestly rather just keep Martin, I don't think it's worth the risk to open up another hole in the defense.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I'd honestly rather just keep Martin, I don't think it's worth the risk to open up another hole in the defense.
What better time to see what you have and which way you need to go than a 48 game season.

Orpik, Letang
Niskanen, Despres
Strait, Engeland
Bortuzzo/*Cheaper Vet* Despres gets sent down.

Dumoulin, Morrow, Samuelsson

Pick up a cheaper vet to help stir the drink for this season.

I'd rather free up the cap space back there and Hemsky would be serviceable for a couple seasons. What better place to put him to minimize the attention for risk of injury than with Malkin and Neal.

I totally could deal with that, though, I understand you not wanting to do this.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
What better time to see what you have and which way you need to go than a 48 game season.

Orpik, Letang
Niskanen, Despres
Strait, Engeland
Bortuzzo/*Cheaper Vet* Despres gets sent down.

Dumoulin, Morrow, Samuelsson

Pick up a cheaper vet to help stir the drink for this season.

I'd rather free up the cap space back there and Hemsky would be serviceable for a couple seasons. What better place to put him to minimize the attention for risk of injury than with Malkin and Neal.

I totally could deal with that, though, I understand you not wanting to do this.
That also means less room for error. If the Pens use a couple of kids on the blue and Niskanen in the top and they struggle/don't adapt themselves to their new roles, there's not much time to straighten things out.

And I don't see how Hemsky playing with Malkin and Neal would do anything to keep him health. Combining the Pens' and Hemsky's luck, yeesh. He'll get off the plane and get hit by a bus full of killer bees that's driven by a bear that will get out and maul him. Byslma will say he's day to day.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Eskimo44

I'm not going to lie i think Hemsky for Martin is very unfair. Both are coming off down seasons. But Hemsky before this last year was a 1st line winger who's ppg average since the lockout ranked in the top 15 for wingers at .93 iirc. That number is much better than most people realize as the next guy down the list is Rick Nash. Now i don't think Hemsky's value is equal to Nash but i do think it shows he has a very long and established track record of being a 1st liner. Martinn had been good for some time but he's never been a premier player like Hemsky, and realisticly is an ideal 2nd pairing guy. I'd rather see how Hemsky bounces back, it certainly wasn't that shocking that he had a down year last season.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I really don't think Martin will be traded anyway. The Pens aren't exactly loaded with top 4 D. Letang is definitely one, Orpik has slipped and is a little more iffy and Niskanen is rather unproven in that area. The most NHL ready D prospects are bottom pairing guys like Strait, Bortuzzo etc. Despres is probably close to NHL ready but not ready for top 4 duty.

The Pens really need Martin to bounce back and play like a top 4 guy. I think they know that and that's why they kept him around but the risk is that he continues to struggle and they have to buy him out.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

If Pitts had drafted Forsberg, there'd be no need for this thread

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote