HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I know (or certainly hope) noone is rooting against McIlrath.

If he can be a monster of a physical presence and play a solid game in his own end I know everyone will love him. There is no doubt about his ability to fight, intimidate, and clear the crease (attributes that are definitely valuable).

His ability to defend and clear the zone in his own end will be what makes or breaks his career, and IMO that still remains to be seen. He is clearly a better skater than Bickel or even most 3rd pairing guys so he's got a big edge there; but that alone is not enough to be a good dman.

During the 2011 preseason, I liked his skating. Noreau isn't terrible for a big man, but you could see just how much better McIlrath was than a guy of comparable size. However, you could tell that he was nowhere near ready. He was a hitter and a fighter, and he could occasionally rush the puck using his size and decent skating, but he was out of position, he was a little lost at times, and he was thinking too much before making plays. Things just didn't come easy to him.

Seeing him again now in Hartford, he's shown tremendous improvement, confirming what people who watched him in the juniors reported.

His "small step footwork" has shown huge improvement. This is exactly what someone like McDonagh is great at, making good small steps to maneuver his way around the attacking forward. McIlrath is nowhere near as good as McD, but he's shown huge improvement and now above average at this. He'll never be great at "long stride" skating like Kreider and Hagelin are, but he doesn't need to do that. He's a defensive defenseman, not a forward.

He also doesn't take himself out of position nearly as much. He's a teachable kid and this is certainly a teachable skill.

If we had the Traverse City Tournament right now to start the city, a whole lot of people would've been mightily impressed by The Undertaker. He would've dominated that level of play.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-07-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Levitate

The footwork thing is good news. When I saw him in Traverse city and preseason last year, it was his lateral movement and footwork when not going straight forward or backwards that looked like it needed improvement.

I also recall that the Rangers scouts like his footwork when they drafted him so I guess he's continuing to improve and they saw some room for him to do so

Old
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Barnaby

I really think McIlrath will surprise a lot of people. I think he has the tools to be an impact player. A very solid defender. Is he a true #1 defenseman? Most likely not. However, why can't he be a shut down 2nd pairing guy or maybe a great partner for an offensive player ala Beukaboom? When you add the crease clearing and intimidation factor along with the fighting.... you get a 12 year NHL'er who is an absolute fan favorite who adds an element that many teams don't have on that back line. Just look at the Rangers from 1998 to 2009. Look at your Brooks Orpik and your Mike Komisarek (though, he has since fizzled). Look at the free agent deals these guys sign. They are obviously a very valuable commodity.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Ola

Beacon- Good post.

I also thinks it helps McI to play a pro game in terms of settling down. In HFD he can focus on holding the fort and getting by. That and a few hits and he gets high fives after the game. In like Traverse, he need to do alot more than that to be successful. If he did just that, he'd basically been settling in behind the invitees...

All players don't have to be awesome juniors to become decent pros. Heck, even Girardi is an example of that.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
egelband

i will say i don't like the moniker 'the undertaker'. puts a target on mcilrath's back right out of the gate. whoever gave him that nickname did him no favor. i think the kid is tough and strong but no need to stir the pot so soon. raising expectations.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i will say i don't like the moniker 'the undertaker'. puts a target on mcilrath's back right out of the gate. whoever gave him that nickname did him no favor.
I don't think it will be a big factor...

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
3rdlineglory

I always wondered if we could have got McIlrath in the 2nd round. I didn't really follow the draft back then, does anyone remember where he was projected to go before it?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
I always wondered if we could have got McIlrath in the 2nd round. I didn't really follow the draft back then, does anyone remember where he was projected to go before it?
he would of been a late first rounder so he would not have slipped that far

Old
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Rumored that both Dallas at 11 and Edmonton at 15 wanted him.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
TSN had him ranked 15th. Just watched the draft video.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
3rdlineglory

Thanks guys! I was expecting late 1st/early 2nd. Maybe he wasn't much of a reach afterall .

Old
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Every here pretends like his only problem is stats. The funny thing is that all these comments are from people who don't watch Kreider either. How many people who've left comments like, "if you were actually watching Kreider, you'd know better" have seen him this year even once?

Your opinion is based on the fact that the Rangers needed depth in last playoffs and he was able to keep up when the only assignment given to him was to skate fast. That really was something that the team told him was his only responsibility - skate fast, stretch the defense, don't worry about anything else.

All his mistakes were forgiven because he was just days out of college. All his half-decent plays were cause for mass celebration, again because he was just days out of college. But the same type of play from Fred Sjostrom would not have been seen as anything because Sjo was not a rookie. That's not unfair, but let's keep in mind that it wasn't as if he came in and played like Crosby.

Then everyone who never watches Hartford went on to say that all the reports about Kreider struggling are just people paying attention to stats. All information coming out of the AHL about his subpar play is just that - not watching, paying attention to stats.

So let me quote you the Whale TV color commentator whose job it is to watch Kreider play: "He did a good job last year for the Rangers in the playoffs where his only responsibility was to skate and keep up with the team, but now he's really struggling with the additional responsibility he's been given in Hartford."

But yeah, maybe the Whale commentator isn't watching games either.
I'll see your radio guy and raise you an actual NHL executive:

Quote:
So I emailed two NHL guys who have great AHL eyes and asked them to let me know who they liked.... Executive B: TJ Brodie (CAL), Jacob Josefson (NJ), Chris Kreider (NYR)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...out-fixer.html
Schoenfeld did an interview on blueshirts united and basically said the reason Kreider wasn't putting up numbers was because the Whale coaching staff was overloading him with defensive techniques and he's just overthinking right now. Plus, Kreider's linemates in Hartford have been Newbury and Segal.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Schoenfeld did an interview on blueshirts united and basically said the reason Kreider wasn't putting up numbers was because the Whale coaching staff was overloading him with defensive techniques and he's just overthinking right now.
Oh, so the problem is he can't think and produce at the same time? Good!

Quote:
Plus, Kreider's linemates in Hartford have been Newbury and Segal.
Newbury is the team's leading scorer. He is scoring at 2.5 times the pace Kreider is.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

Newbury is the team's leading scorer. He is scoring at 2.5 times the pace Kreider is.
To be fair, scoring =/= being an effective playmaker.

01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Newbury has NOT been playing with Kreider in Hartford. This is false.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i will say i don't like the moniker 'the undertaker'. puts a target on mcilrath's back right out of the gate. whoever gave him that nickname did him no favor. i think the kid is tough and strong but no need to stir the pot so soon. raising expectations.
The nickname was well earned in Jrs. He's not a fly under the radar type of brawler. He's very Eric cairns-like. Big boy, big rep for a reason.

At the NHL level Mcilrath is gonna eat some punches. There's no question. I just hope that after he loses a scrap or two people don't give upon him like the did Cairns. He lost a fee big fights in decisive fashion and got labeled "Glass-jaw". Cairns later became a top 3 heavyweight in the league. I think Mac has that same potential, however I don't think he skates in sand like Cairns did.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Zil

Quote:
Stop being asinine. They had him down there focusing on learning the defensive system. It took Brad Richards, a seasoned veteran, a half season to get adjusted to the Rangers system and start producing.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Newbury has NOT been playing with Kreider in Hartford. This is false.
Are you sure about that? SNY claimed Newbury and Segal were his most recent linemates. In any event, nobody he was playing with resembled a playmaking center.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
At the NHL level Mcilrath is gonna eat some punches.
The best fighters aren't necessarily playing at the NHL level, its the guys that can skate that make it. Someone else who knows the tougher side of the game can attest how tough some of the AHL guys have been.

McIlrath ragdolled a 6'2" 220 LBS seasoned tough guy on ADR, then lined up his fist, made the guy look at said fist, and then pummeled him. The next night TKO's a 6'6" behemoth.

What makes him such an effective fighter is what makes him intriguing as a defender, and that his reach. Dude has a long wingspan and covers a lot of ice very quickly. He doesn't seem sheepish about closing the gap on anyone.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
The best fighters aren't necessarily playing at the NHL level, its the guys that can skate that make it. Someone else who knows the tougher side of the game can attest how tough some of the AHL guys have been.

McIlrath ragdolled a 6'2" 220 LBS seasoned tough guy on ADR, then lined up his fist, made the guy look at said fist, and then pummeled him. The next night TKO's a 6'6" behemoth.

What makes him such an effective fighter is what makes him intriguing as a defender, and that his reach. Dude has a long wingspan and covers a lot of ice very quickly. He doesn't seem sheepish about closing the gap on anyone.
Longest wingspan at the combine if I recall. You can be a skilled fighter, but if you don't have reach you will rarely get anything done in a scrap (Prust comes to mind).

He also seems pretty effective with both hands in a fight which is a nice bonus from what I've seen.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
alkurtz

Honestly, you really don't want to see one of your regular dmen fighting all the time. That's a job for 4th liners. Occasionally OK, but regularly no. It disrupts the defense rotation and others will have to pick up those minutes. The result: some of the other D will be logging big time minutes and eventually wear down.

The primary job of a dman is to play defense. There are all ways to do it. McI's way hopefully will be to be a big, tough to play against, physical d who will keep any who wander to close to the crease honest. But fighting all the time? No, that will hurt the team. Going to the defense of teammates....OK. But I hope he fights less and less as the year goes on and concentrates on learning his craft. We need a big and tough D on our team.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Are you sure about that? SNY claimed Newbury and Segal were his most recent linemates. In any event, nobody he was playing with resembled a playmaking center.

Maybe for a few shifts, but the usual first line over the last few weeks has been Hrivik-Newbury-Kolarik. Segal and Kreider are on the second line.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:35 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post

Good post. There are goons in the AHL and ECHL who will never sniff the NHL who can really **** people up.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:39 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Honestly, you really don't want to see one of your regular dmen fighting all the time. That's a job for 4th liners. Occasionally OK, but regularly no. It disrupts the defense rotation and others will have to pick up those minutes. The result: some of the other D will be logging big time minutes and eventually wear down.

The primary job of a dman is to play defense. There are all ways to do it. McI's way hopefully will be to be a big, tough to play against, physical d who will keep any who wander to close to the crease honest. But fighting all the time? No, that will hurt the team. Going to the defense of teammates....OK. But I hope he fights less and less as the year goes on and concentrates on learning his craft. We need a big and tough D on our team.
He would definitely benefit from spending more time on the ice as opposed to time in the penalty box - for that reason I hope he picks his fightings sparingly.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:11 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I don't think we are having this conversation if the Rangers drafted McI too high if someone picked Tarasenko before the Rangers selected at 10.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I don't think we are having this conversation if the Rangers drafted McI too high if someone picked Tarasenko before the Rangers selected at 10.
You forgot about Fowler, whom more people were clamoring for

Closed Thread