HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Inevitable Keith Ballard to NYI thread

Old
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
ziggy7716

vCash: 500
Keith Ballard to NYI

With the news today that Visnovsky staying in the KHL it puts the Islanders in a pinch for help on D. Ballard's name has been thrown around in the recent past. It seems like he could be a good fit and help sure up the Islanders Defense.

What would be fair value for him?

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Inevitable Keith Ballard to NYI thread

With Visnovsky being a jerk and not honoring his contract, the Islanders are in need of a top-4 defenseman.

Let me start by saying that the only way they take him is by not giving up a lot of value for him. He's a good defenseman, but his trade value has dropped significantly and won't be getting anything very valuable in return. This means the Islanders won't give up guys like Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin to get him.

I'm going to offer Aaron Ness and a 3rd round pick in 2014 for Keith Ballard and Yann Sauve.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
What about Visnovsky for Ballard? Ballard would play for the Isle... Vancouver gets the better defenseman and he'll most likely come back to play for the better team.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
What about Visnovsky for Ballard? Ballard would play for the Isle... Vancouver gets the better defenseman and he'll most likely come back to play for the better team.
He said the Islanders treated him very well and his agent said it would have been the same case for any other NHL team.

Bottom line is here the guy went home because of the lockout. Got comfortable being in his home country with his family and now does not want to leave. He's also 37 years old. I am going to say he's done in the NHL

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Kershaw

I was gonna make one too.

Ballard for a 2nd.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
That would be a great trade for the Islanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Ballard for a 2nd.
Too much, especially since we don't have one now.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Ballard for a 2nd.
Is this a regular 2nd or one of our free 2nds that doesn't return anything for us?

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'm going to offer Aaron Ness and a 3rd round pick in 2014 for Keith Ballard and Yann Sauve.
Canucks decline.

Ballard played well for us towards the end of last season + playoffs, so I'm kind of interested to see how he plays this season.

Also, the Canucks don't need to dump Ballard just yet. They only need to move him in the off-season, and by that time they could just use an amnesty buyout on him.
If we dump Ballard, it leaves a big hole on the bottom pairing and leaves us without any defensive depth.
So Ballard would only be moved to fill a need/get an upgrade.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
He said the Islanders treated him very well and his agent said it would have been the same case for any other NHL team.

Bottom line is here the guy went home because of the lockout. Got comfortable being in his home country with his family and now does not want to leave. He's also 37 years old. I am going to say he's done in the NHL
Ouch. Sorry Islander fans.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Minimalist*

Grabner and a 1st

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Grabner and a 1st

Thank you. This Vis news had me pretty pissed. At least I can still laugh.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Thank you. This Vis news had me pretty pissed. At least I can still laugh.
I think he's making a joke on the Grabner/Ballard trade that happened last time.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
How do Isles fans feel about Okposo or Josh Bailey?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Co Ho*

I think we're better off holding on to him until the deadline, unless it's absolutely necessary we trade him due to salary reasons.
I want coach AV to gift wrap minutes for him and put him in situations where he can succeed, like he did with Hodgson, to drive up his value a bit before trading him.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
StringerBell

Forward prospect that can contribute next year. What you got NYI?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No to either. Is this serious?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 2049
Jesse Joensuu for Keith Ballard.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I think we're better off holding on to him until the deadline, unless it's absolutely necessary we trade him due to salary reasons.
I want coach AV to gift wrap minutes for him and put him in situations where he can succeed, like he did with Hodgson, to drive up his value a bit before trading him.
With a shortened season there is less opportunity to do that. The NW division has gotten tougher this year. The Canucks cannot afford to have a sub-par d-man being showcased. If Ballard wants to play top minutes, he'll have to earn them.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
There is no reason to trade him this season unless we're getting an upgrade on defense/filling a need (3rd line center/top 6 forward).

Either wait until the off-season to dump his salary (to make room for Edler) or use an amnesty buyout on him.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

EFF Ballard. Rather have Aaron Ness playing top-4 minutes.... and I have zero confidence in Aaron Ness.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:18 PM
I in the Eye

Ballard won't be traded unless there is a clear upgrade in his roster spot, or unless there are salary cap concerns... Both just aren't currently there... Without one or the other, Ballard isn't available... Ballard's been pretty good enough, progressing, and has a great attitude... No reason right now to trade him... especially with his value lower than it, IMO, should or could be... If low value, and with no better player than him in hand to take his roster spot, and no need to make cap room, why trade him? He's a player that can turn it around and have a good statistical season, IMO, if anyone is looking for potential steals last round in a many round hockey pool...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
good enough to not trade them for Ballard

I have actually wanted Ballard for awhile..

I think people over do the whole Ballard thing..

Hes still a good defensman and I would take him on the Isles in a heart beat....He would be our 3/4 dman behind Hamonic,Striet,an AMAC

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Mike Gillis has been on the record several times explaining that Keith Ballard is basically a necessary evil. For the Canucks to have any chance making it out of the Western Conference with the realities of their travel schedule they need to carry 8 defenders. For cap reasons they can't carry 8 top defenders so they opt to pay 5 top 4 guys. Ballard played well in the brief post season appearance the Canucks made last spring which was deservingly overlooked by the fact the Canucks might as well have been swept.

Ballard isn't a #5 or #6 D on a lot of teams. His value has taken a beating since he's the guy who didn't make the top 4 and he's also a whipping boy for Canuck fans.

Anyways, I'm not saying he's Jari Kurri reborn I'm just saying that if you look at what he's done on paper since joining the Canucks I can understand why you perceive his value to be incredibly low but if the reality is he won't return anything it might be better to keep him. Maybe we do need to trade him for cap purposes, time will tell. A Ballard deal may include Vancouver keeping salary but not cap space if that's possible in this CBA which would boost his trade value presumably.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Vorkosh

The problem with Ballard is that the Canucks did not use him properly. He's playing on his off side. That's very hard to do especially for a D-man seeing how your fore-hand puts the puck in the middle of the ice instead of closer to the boards. He's going to struggle as long as AV decides to play him on the wrong side. He has improved a lot since last year and I would like to see the Canucks hold on to him and see how he plays this year.

Wingers coming down the off-wing have an advantage seeing how can they use the natural curve of a stick to snipe it short side. Defensemen playing on the off-side = dangerous territory since they leave the puck exposed in the middle of the ice and can not use their body to shield the puck.

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
With a shortened season there is less opportunity to do that. The NW division has gotten tougher this year. The Canucks cannot afford to have a sub-par d-man being showcased. If Ballard wants to play top minutes, he'll have to earn them.
Agreed, but I mean AV should loosen the chain a bit and give him more slack for playing his game and see if he improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
There is no reason to trade him this season unless we're getting an upgrade on defense/filling a need (3rd line center/top 6 forward).

Either wait until the off-season to dump his salary (to make room for Edler) or use an amnesty buyout on him.
Agreed, unless the return for Luongo includes some salary and we need to get rid of him, especially near the end of the season before Edler/Higgins/Lapierre enter free agency.

But there is no reason, as of right now, to trade Ballard. He fills a role, albeit a small one, for the team and his value is at an all time low. He should be healthy and concussion symptom free, so his value can only increase this year. The Canucks also ALWAYS struggle with injuries on the blue line, so it's nice to have the depth for him to step up when we need it.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote