HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
FakeKidPoker*

vCash: 500
So Leafs, Panthers, Blackhawks still in it...

Old
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
You think that if the acquiring team is responsible for his cap hit even after he retires he will be easily tradeable? Who would acquire a player they were guaranteed to have to use cap space on for several year after he retired other than the 2 or 3 cap floor teams like the Islanders.
What will the cap hit be? Can you explain to me to recapture formula? Who says which team will be on the hook in the end? Could the contract be traded to another team when he retires? Would Luongo be waived and be picked up by cap floor team then Luongo retire? Can you answer all these questions? Can I answer all these questions?

I don't know.....this is the answer to your question and also to all the questions I listed above.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If only it were so simple.

Question for all non Nuck fans. Why is it whenever we opt to say we're content maintaining the status quo, someone has to rush it demanding, "NO YOU HAVE TO TRADE LUONGO." And then proceeds to offer crap they know we aren't going to like. Cue arguments.

You guys do not want to pay x? Great, we're content to roll the same roster. Win/win, yes?
Because every competent hockey mind realizes that if yoy tie up 1/6 of your cap space in goaltending and you will have serious deficiencies on the rest of the roster. While most on HF boards are fine having their 4th line and 3rd D pairing all be rookies, every GM knows that isn't a winning formula.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:10 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Thanks but no thanks Canucks are ready to roll as is!
No worries... while the odds are in your favour, it is a risk.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Make it Franson and it's a deal.
I agree.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Because every competent hockey mind realizes that if yoy tie up 1/6 of your cap space in goaltending and you will have serious deficiencies on the rest of the roster. While most on HF boards are fine having their 4th line and 3rd D pairing all be rookies, every GM knows that isn't a winning formula.
No problem Canucks got all year to figure that out. Maybe trade Schneider.....mind blown! Haha relax thank you so much for the concern, but we will be alright

Old
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I agree.
Leaf fan:

How bout Luongo for this

Other Leaf fan:

I agree

Result:

Leaf fans traded other teams player to own team.....hmmmmmm

Canucks are good to go as is thanks. I'm sure Burke and Carlyle got you boys fired up as is too.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Meh, he was a 3rd pairing defenseman in Toronto and he still scored over 20 points and was at a 30 point pace, playing 2nd unit power play minutes. Nobody is trying to pawn him off for quality. Have Canuck fans not been saying a #7 RHD is currently a hole that they would like to fill?

No... We need a top 4 RHD. Only Bieksa and Tanev are RH's on the Canucks currently. Tanev may or may not be ready for top 4 minutes this season.

Leaf fans are simply giving you what you want. Canuck fans claim your team is in need of a 3C(one that can cover the 2nd line until Kesler returns) yet Bozak/Connolly have no appeal to Canuck fans. Canucks fans claim your team is in need of a top-6 RW, but Clarke MacArthur isn't a good enough piece. You want a #7 RHD, but Franson isn't a fit in Vancouver. Leafs fans are actually giving Canuck fans what they want

Bozak/Connolly would be fine as a 2C fill in. But you don't trade elite talent for a 2 month filler. Neither of them are 3C's on a Cup contender.

We already have 2 full lines of MacArthur's. He is not an upgrade on any of our 2/3 tweeners.

With the Versteeg vs. MacArthur/Kulemin comparison. It really is what have you done for me lately. The Leafs had all 3 and felt Versteeg was the most expendable, that should count for something.
Safe to say Leaf fans are NOT giving Canuck fans what they want.

Old
marty111

Quote:
Leaf fan:

How bout Luongo for this

Other Leaf fan:

I agree

Result:

Leaf fans traded other teams player to own team.....hmmmmmm

Canucks are good to go as is thanks. I'm sure Burke and Carlyle got you boys fired up as is too.
Well to be fair, you've been acting like you have control over the situation yourself so I sense a humorous contradiction here.

We're just chewing the fat, no need to get condescending.

Old
TOML

The 'cap benefit recapture formula' sounds easily circumventable, as all Luongo would have to do is 'get injured' instead of merely retire early.

Meanwhile, there will be a new CBA by that point. Who knows what rules will be by then?

Frankly, the 'have' franchises will remain unaffected by whatever ho-hum 'punishment' rules the league comes up with. There will be a bunch more new ways to circumvent the cap coming up.

Meanwhile, teams like Florida should be happy the cap floor won't be tied to the cap ceiling, but the midpoint, for the time being. Still, with Talon in charge and them picking up star players for free over and over, i see them being contenders fairly quickly. They win a cup and then go back down to reality. Revenue problems still exist. But they have a cup. Seems fairly formulaic in today's NHL.

TOML

Old
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Numbers

Quote:
No worries... while the odds are in your favour, it is a risk.

Relying on Reimer and Scrivens is a risk too, but the odds are not in your favour

Old
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
marty111

Quote:
Relying on Reimer and Scrivens is a risk too, but the odds are not in your favour
Oh very true!

Old
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Well to be fair, you've been acting like you have control over the situation yourself so I sense a humorous contradiction here.

We're just chewing the fat, no need to get condescending.
I'm glad this is the new motto for Leaf fans too!

Old
01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
I'm glad this is the new motto for Leaf fans too!
Every single one of your posts have been in Luongo threads. What gives man? What are you going to do with yourself when he's traded?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Every single one of your posts have been in Luongo threads. What gives man? What are you going to do with yourself when he's traded?
To be honest I only really comment on proposals with Canucks players involved. Can't wait to watch hockey though!

Old
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
What will the cap hit be? Can you explain to me to recapture formula? Who says which team will be on the hook in the end? Could the contract be traded to another team when he retires? Would Luongo be waived and be picked up by cap floor team then Luongo retire? Can you answer all these questions? Can I answer all these questions?

I don't know.....this is the answer to your question and also to all the questions I listed above.
None of that maters.
The poster you originally responded to was being specific. He was saying if the team acquiring was responcible for his full cap hit until his contract ran out even after he retired he would be untradeable. At which point you jumped all over him/her.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Last I checked they were in their early and mid 20's, not 34, dont have a 5.3 million cap hit till 42 and a NTC, thanks but thats a much more manageable risk and one I would rather take.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
So Leafs, Panthers, Blackhawks still in it...
It has to be the Leafs or nothing. Im going with nothing. With the short season and so many back to back games, Vancouver may just need him.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Last I checked they were in their early and mid 20's, not 34, dont have a 5.3 million cap hit till 42 and a NTC, thanks but thats a much more manageable risk and one I would rather take.
Fair enough. And if you have been reading many of my posts I have said Canucks are ready to roll as is and I'm guessing Toronto is too. Good luck to you boys. SCF 2013 Vancouver vs. Toronto!

Old
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
best of 7

realistic Vancouver fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
Vancouver fan coming in peace.

Honestly, Luongo would be the best thing that happened to Toronto in a long time. I've watched the guy for years and while I will admit sometimes we've been left scratching our head over how he's been unable to step his game up in the playoffs, he has been the best goalie we've ever had and has brought Vancouver a long way since his arrival.

Here are the facts:

Pros:
1) His contract is long, but it is very reasonable for a goalie of his calibre. Try getting any other goalie with his stats for just over 5m. Good luck.
2) He is very competitive, and pushes his teammates to be so.
3) He's just a damn good goalie. He's so fun to watch.

Cons:
1) He's not getting any younger, and the question mark is when he will start his decline. No sign of it yet though.
2) He can get rattled in high-stress situations. Playoffs especially.
3) Toronto would have to give up some talent to get him.

Luongo would bring Toronto stability in goal which you guys have lacked for some time. You'd still need to shore up your D a bit, but with these tweaks I'd almost guarantee Toronto finally makes the playoffs and might actually cause other teams to sweat a bit. Contend for the cup? Probably not... but I promise you'd see a far more competitive team you can be proud to stand behind.

If Burke wants Toronto to succeed now, Luongo is the best option available. The only question in my mind is what it would take for Toronto to get him. Vancouver is not in the best bargaining position now that we've signed Schneider, and other GM's know this. There is also a limited amount of teams that require a #1 goalie. They know this too. Also, looking over the Toronto roster I really don't see a ton of players Vancouver would want or need... except maybe Bozak - but only because Kesler's return is unknown.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
None of that maters.
The poster you originally responded to was being specific. He was saying if the team acquiring was responcible for his full cap hit until his contract ran out even after he retired he would be untradeable. At which point you jumped all over him/her.
But we need to be able to answer the questions I listed to be able to answer his point. Those are encompassing factors that employ ways for the team trading for Luongo to get out of that problem.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by best of 7 View Post
realistic Vancouver fan
His buddy is no longer employed by the Leafs.

Thank god...

Old
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
FAMOUSfin

Luongo must go deal, coming up!

Luongo for...

Franson signed to 3 year deal
2 depth defencemen signed minimum through 2013-2014
All cap/salary assumed by TML

get your hate on or top this proposal

Old
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Fuel for the fire...

Hockey Or Die! ‏@HockeyOrDie
Ben Kuzma on Team1260: Q: If #Luongo is traded, where does he end up? A: "Toronto, Toronto or Toronto" #NHL

Old
01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Fuel for the fire...

Hockey Or Die! ‏@HockeyOrDie
Ben Kuzma on Team1260: Q: If #Luongo is traded, where does he end up? A: "Toronto, Toronto or Toronto" #NHL
I just listened to that as well. Toronto is the perfect spot. They don't have high expectations. He can turn into a god there.

Closed Thread