HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Saying somebody's an NHL goalie because he starts for the Islanders is like saying you're an HS starting point guard but you start for a HS that has 12 boys in the entire school.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Honestly I would hope the Isles prospects are looking good. They've been drafting in the top-10 for the last decade.

It's hard not to like their group, but they haven't exactly had the best player development track record so not a lot would surprise me.

12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

The Islanders will never contend unless they surround these young guys with some in their prime capable vets. It's hard for your prospects to develop properly when constantly surrounded by younger/raw prospects and washed up vets/dinosaurs.

Here are some of the Islanders UFA/trade acquisitions over the past several years:

Weight, Guerin, Sillinger, Rolston, Staios, Reasoner, Mottau, Sim, Jurcina, Eaton, Konopka, Bolton, Carkner, Boyes

Old
12-29-2012, 01:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
The Islanders will never contend unless they surround these young guys with some in their prime capable vets. It's hard for your prospects to develop properly when constantly surrounded by younger/raw prospects and washed up vets/dinosaurs.

Here are some of the Islanders UFA/trade acquisitions over the past several years:

Weight, Guerin, Sillinger, Rolston, Staios, Reasoner, Mottau, Sim, Jurcina, Eaton, Konopka, Bolton, Carkner, Boyes
This is the problem I've seen with the Oilers. However, their team is still very young and their talent exceeds the level of talent the islanders youth has. I think the oilers will breakout at some point. But to my original point, the oilers have struggled mightily the last couple years even with the additions of Eberle, Gagner, Hall, and RNH. They have not been able to stabilize a useful defense and goaltending situation. Schultz is an offensive defenseman. I don't think he helps their defensive woes. The Islanders have similar problems in net.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
Ryan Murray out for year, Henrique still hurt, Mike Sauer hurt, Gardiner still concussed @Scottyk9 @Freddy38 @JFigs25 @Jason_Ham Thanks

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
@JFigs25 Boy the Rangers could have used him, they can't trust Bickel at all, a Stralman-Sauer combo would give the top 4 some rest

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
@R_Fredriksson We'll see, I read the article wrong, he could come back, it just doesn't sound good

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
Okay, well Kesler might not miss the rest of the year, but it doesn't sound good. Article from December 13 blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12/13/age…

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
Lightning's J.T. Brown is having surgery on a broken collarbone, Is Jake Gardiner still concussed Marlie fans?

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
Add WSH's Backstrom (who is week-to-week with a neck problem), upper body injury for Bryzgalov, Demers is out 3 weeks, Briere is out 2 weeks

Brennan Klak @nhlupdate
@dabrams2021 Ruutu had surgery on his hip and will be out for months

Lot's of injuries to start the season if a deal is struck.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I really wanted Jordan Staal over Nash, at least until he got a 60 million dollar contract.

Looking back, its probably better we went for Nash and not Jordan. Hoping we don't lose Marc at the end of his contract as a result, though.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I really wanted Jordan Staal over Nash, at least until he got a 60 million dollar contract.

Looking back, its probably better we went for Nash and not Jordan. Hoping we don't lose Marc at the end of his contract as a result, though.
Pittsburgh would've asked the moon from a divisional rival. Especially one that is contending for a SC.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-son-nylander/

Heard this was coming to closure a couple days ago but did not think it was of great interest.
Michael Nylander (remember him?) is going to start to play with Södertälje for SSK in The second tier Swedish league "Allsvenskan". What is interesting to note is that he will be joined by his son William Nylander on the men´s league team, perhaps the most talented Swede at 16 years of age since Peter Forsberg. Means that William will lose his college eligibility, something he previously wanted to retain. Expect him to be Top 5 in the draft in 2 years.
A bird said to me that if these two players signed, then the NHL would resume and play...because Matt Read and Cam Fowler would then almost certainly also be leaving the squad. NHLers Carl Hagelin, Jonathan Eriksson and Niklas Grossman have all also played for SSK this year...

Old
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Nylander was painfully underrated when he was here. I can't think of a better compliment to one of the world's top 5 all time players.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
I'm told by #Flyers official that Chris Pronger's situation is "status quo." That's not good news.
...we have Sauer out as well...

Old
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
...we have Sauer out as well...
True, but hard to compare the significance of Sauer to our team vs. Pronger's to Philly.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Ola

Quote:
Nylander was painfully underrated when he was here. I can't think of a better compliment to one of the world's top 5 all time players.
Nylander signed with Södertälje and, if things goes as planned (BBKers?), will line up next to his son in the near future. That gotta be pretty darn cool for a hockey player.

Edit: Maybe I should start scrolling from top to bottom...

Old
01-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Ola

Nylander played against my old team today. Had an assist in his debut. I talked with friends, they thought it was pretty cool to play against a center who had played with "Tony Amonte". I lol'ed.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Glad we're back in action, wasn't the same laughing at Philly's misfortune during the lockout.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Too bad Nylander overrated himself without that other guy.

01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
turcotte8

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday

#Isles news: L. Visnovsky has decided to stay in Slovakia for the rest of the season, via his agent. Statement to come.

Statement from L. Visnovsky: "I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season... "I am thankful to the #Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons...

Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

#Isles news: L. Visnovsky has decided to stay in Slovakia for the rest of the season, via his agent. Statement to come.

Statement from L. Visnovsky: "I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season... "I am thankful to the #Isles for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons...
He can't play in the KHL can he? KHL and NHL have a transfer agreement.

Though I'm sure that's exactly the kind of thing his agent would have researched.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Snow was an idiot for acquiring him in the first place. Why waste a second rounder on a team not ready to compete that should should be in a full rebuild mode?

He tried to save his job at the expense of the team's future and ability to actually compete for the Cup, and it came back to haunt him. Carma is a B!itc#.

He should've instead traded Mark Streit for a second rounder, and some others for later picks. Load up the team with prospects as the young guns mature so that Tavares & Co can have proper support.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

He just didn't want to play on the Fishsticks. Tried to get out of the trade as soon as it happened.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Kershaw

I really hope he stays overseas.

Isles could cost us some points and I would like to see them ruin/rush Strome/Reinhart as well.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Snow was an idiot for acquiring him in the first place. Why waste a second rounder on a team not ready to compete that should should be in a full rebuild mode?

He tried to save his job at the expense of the team's future and ability to actually compete for the Cup, and it came back to haunt him. Carma is a B!itc#.

He should've instead traded Mark Streit for a second rounder, and some others for later picks. Load up the team with prospects as the young guns mature so that Tavares & Co can have proper support.
Isles are loaded with prospects, trying to compete now. Just above I see criticism for not surrounding young guys with good vets and yet Isles are supposed to trade Streit and not acquire Visnovsky who fits what we need?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Isles are loaded with prospects, trying to compete now. Just above I see criticism for not surrounding young guys with good vets and yet Isles are supposed to trade Streit and not acquire Visnovsky who fits what we need?

A non-playoff team shouldn't be giving up draft picks. It should be collecting extra ones. Your prospect level isn't loaded as much as you'll need it to be in order to go from the last place to Cup contention. The Rangers had a better prospect pool 2-3 years ago when they were already a consistent playoff squad, having made the playoffs in 7 out of 8 years, missing it once by losing a shootout in the last game of the season.

- The Isles were in the bottom 5 of the NHL each of the last 5 seasons.

- You'd think that with so many top-5 picks, with two additional first rounders and two more additional second rounders, they would be ranked higher than #6 on HF. Maybe HF is off-base here, but I don't think so. Nor can it be said that the prospects are in the NHL. Other than Tavares and Nino, none of the other firsts or seconds in the last 5 drafts graduated.

- They have only 2 guys returning this year who had 50+ points last season, and forwards are the team's strength.

- Who else can play like a legitimate second liner on a Cup contender? Okposo and Grabner? Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe a couple prospects like Strome and Nelson. I am not seeing any overload here. Tavares is a first liner, and Strome has the potential, though he proved zero so far. They have another 3-4 potential second liners, but again, no overload. They need everyone to work out in order to fill out their top-6 or top-9.

- On defense, I like Ham, and A-Mac is ok. Reinhart is a very good prospect, and another 4 guys are solid prospects. Again, the Isles would need EVERY one of them to pan out to fill out their top-6. No overload.

- The goalie situation is downright bad. And yes, I know about Nilsson and Poulin, and no, I don't care. The two have significantly worse stats on a solid Bridgeport team than Talbot has on the horrendous Hartford team that couldn't defend if their lives depended on it. And nobody on the Rangers views Talbot as a savior in the net. Because they are younger, they are superior prospects, but they are future backups, not starters on Cup contenders.

===========================================>

The Islanders are still in a bad position going forward. Their rebuild should continue. They should've dealt away Streit for youth instead of giving up a pick for Lubo. The best, fastest route for the Islanders to Cup contention is, unfortunately for you, another bottom-5 finish along with an extra couple of draft picks in the first or second round, acquired for vets. In fact, they would probably be well-served by trading away the soon-to-be-30 Moulson while he still brings a very significant return of youth back. The Isles will need another 3-5 years to start competing, and they are better off doing it with another Ryan Strome than with Moulson and Streit.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
truebluegoalie

Any thoughts on how tough it will be for the jets to play a condensed schedule in the SE?

Old
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Any thoughts on how tough it will be for the jets to play a condensed schedule in the SE?
Totally brutal for them. They have to hope the NHL gives them a few long road trips and long home stands to avoid flying back and forth to Wpg over and over

Old
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Looks like Holmstrom is going to retire.

Closed Thread