Notices

Thomas is d.o.n.e.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I don't understand how anyone can say the cap hit is not affecting the Bruins this year. I'm a go for it every year guy. Unrealistic maybe, but how many more years is Chara's window? If we come down to the playoffs, and Tuukka is holding the fort, but we're one elite UFA away from challenging for the cup, but we don't have the cap room to add what we need, you're damn right I'll be bitter with Thomas.

I love the guy, I have an autographed Thomas jersey hanging in my basement. I'm Canadian and couldn't care less about the politics. He authored the Bruins first cup in my lifetime (technically I was born in 71 but don't really remember the '72 cup). But if he handcuffs us from going for it again this year, I'll be a little bitter about how it all ended.
Savard to LTIR

problem solved

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I'll say it again: YOU CAN'T BUY HIM OUT, IT'S AGAINST THE RULES

and

BUYING OUT A 35+ CONTRACT DOESN"T REMOVE IT FROM THE CAP
Maddening. Ain't it.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Buying him out gives you nothing, zilch, nada, and whatever else means zero.
Quote:

and

Can't believe I forgot that. Stupid lockout.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
cneely

Quote:
Savard to LTIR

problem solved
So we'll have 6 in space instead of 11. More cap room at the deadline for a contending team can never be a bad thing. Ever.

cneely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:

and

Do we know if this is true under the new CBA?

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
There have been reports that hasn't changed. There are compliance buyouts next year and the year after. Although those wont apply to TT since his will have expired by then.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
yes we do

Old
01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
zumajoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStinger View Post
They are right, no matter what board, fanboys, be fanboys.
And fairweather, be fairweather.

zumajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
So we'll have 6 in space instead of 11. More cap room at the deadline for a contending team can never be a bad thing. Ever.
When have the Bruins added 11m at the deadline?

If Thomas just says, "You know, physically, I'm done. I just hurt too much and can't play" and retired... would you feel better about it, even though it would have the same cap implications?

And also, do you feel like Marc Savard is being selfish by collecting a paycheck for not playing for multiple years even though he knows he's done? Wouldn't that 4m help the Bs? How selfish of him to want $ for not playing and not retiring when he knows he's done.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
So contracts now say "if you feel like it?" Dumbest thing i've heard in years of contract analysis/negotiations/litigation.

But don't want to fight. Timmy was amazing. Always grateful. Now cross fingers that tuukka/svedberg/subban etc. Can come close to his success in the next decade or so
It seems two contracts from each team now say "if the team feels like it" after the recent negotiations....

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
cneely

Quote:
When have the Bruins added 11m at the deadline?

If Thomas just says, "You know, physically, I'm done. I just hurt too much and can't play" and retired... would you feel better about it, even though it would have the same cap implications?

And also, do you feel like Marc Savard is being selfish by collecting a paycheck for not playing for multiple years even though he knows he's done? Wouldn't that 4m help the Bs? How selfish of him to want $ for not playing and not retiring when he knows he's done.
No idea. Maybe close with Nylander and Gonchar? That's not really the point though. If an opportunity presented itself and we couldn't do it due to cap space, that would royally suck.

Yes. I would feel better about it. Much better. I fully respect what he's doing with his family. I'm about his age, and have 2 young girls. It would kill me to miss them as much as an NHL player like Tim would during a season. I would never call him selfish. I think he had his reasons, it's just that unfortunately it may have a negative impact on my favorite team.

And comparing his situation to Savard is beyond foolish. I could care less about JJ's money. I only care about the Bruins winning. Savard's situation has zero to do with our cap space.

Come on Quincy. Your a smart guy, but you can often come off like a know it all instead of having an intelligent conversation. Consider the merits of other's opinions every once in a while.

cneely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
It seems two contracts from each team now say "if the team feels like it" after the recent negotiations....
They'll get 2/3 of their money. Bruins are getting 0% of thomas' 4th k year.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Khudobin stays in Russia, Rask pops a groin, Thomas rides in in March and the Bruins are the 2013 Champs. Would anyone doubt that could happen? Not me..Not with the Comeback Kid!

The entire team gets a tired excuse after the Capitals debacle, except Timmy of course..even though in three of his losses he gave up 2 goals each game.

As for the rest of your well constructed argument (see Khudobin thread)....

*crickets*

My biggest fear is what TT would add to a team like the Caps, flyers, or even the laffs. People doubt him b/c he's 38? I've been hearing that argument since he's been 34. They'll eventually be proven right at some point.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
neelynugs

Quote:

Come on Quincy. Your a smart guy, but you can often come off like a know it all instead of having an intelligent conversation. Consider the merits of other's opinions every once in a while.
you mean mister devil's advocate? one of the very few good things about the lockout was not seeing his blabbering for months.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post

As for the rest of your well constructed argument (see Khudobin thread)....

*crickets*

My biggest fear is what TT would add to a team like the Caps, flyers, or even the laffs. People doubt him b/c he's 38? I've been hearing that argument since he's been 34. They'll eventually be proven right at some point.
given all the stuff we've read about him, i'd also gather that thomas is pretty keen on playing in the olympics in 2014. imagine this guy taking a full year off, coming back, dominating, and then leading the USA to a gold medal after wrestling the starting job away from quick, miller or schneider? that'd be an even more ridiculous ending to his disney movie-like career.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:50 PM
patty59

Quote:
You've been rolling out this same old tired argument this entire time. The only problem with it is the 2 situations couldn't be more different.

It's about as lame as the people saying TT not retiring is helping the Bruins, like they somehow could have traded him

I'm a huge TT supporter and think he should be able to make any choices he wants about his future and career. But me and everyone else is still allowed to have an opinion about it.

He was a great goalie, still is. Did something that no other Bruins goalie did for as ling as I've been alive.

But him walking out is leaving the Bruins high and dry, there is no denying that, no matter how much you spin it or point at an injured guy who'd kill to play again.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
given all the stuff we've read about him, i'd also gather that thomas is pretty keen on playing in the olympics in 2014. imagine this guy taking a full year off, coming back, dominating, and then leading the USA to a gold medal after wrestling the starting job away from quick, miller or schneider? that'd be an even more ridiculous ending to his disney movie-like career.
Do you even think that's possible? If Burke is running that team I doubt he's even thinking Thomas with those other guys in the mix.

And if he does come back, not with the Bruins, I wish him the worst of luck.(on the ice)

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
No way. Miller would hire Tonya Harding to do a knee job on TT before he'd let that happen.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
northeastern

It'll be interesting to see what happens to him next season. I can't imagine he'll get over a year... and any money is an absolute gamble. But I am sure people would be willing to risk it for him though. without a doubt.

I still think there is a chance the b's can move his rights and unload that cap to a cellar team that has the room and is willing to take on a free 5mil for a pick or something of the sort.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
You've been rolling out this same old tired argument this entire time. The only problem with it is the 2 situations couldn't be more different.

It's about as lame as the people saying TT not retiring is helping the Bruins, like they somehow could have traded him

I'm a huge TT supporter and think he should be able to make any choices he wants about his future and career. But me and everyone else is still allowed to have an opinion about it.

He was a great goalie, still is. Did something that no other Bruins goalie did for as ling as I've been alive.

But him walking out is leaving the Bruins high and dry, there is no denying that, no matter how much you spin it or point at an injured guy who'd kill to play again.
I'll just respond to you tonight, patty.

I agree with everything you're saying. But I still won't...

Family comes before your cap hit on a hockey team. Yeah, Thomas has made things a little more difficult on the cap for us. But it's not a malicious decision... It's prioritizing in a way that I completely sympathize with.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:40 AM
NinthSpoke06

Timmy doesn't owe anything to me, to you, to any of the fans in Boston. But he does owe a year of service to the Boston Bruins.

Thanks for the Cup. It is probably the greatest memory of my short life so far. But no thanks for walking out at the end of it. If you want to take a year off wait til your contract expires OR retire. The decision to walk away wasn't to help the Bruins so it really doesn't matter if him retiring "hurts" the Bruins. It was managements choice to sign him to a long term over 35+ contract knowing that they would be liable for the hit in every year no matter what unless he was traded.

There are rules put in place if you are done with hockey you retire. You don't just bail on your contract. You can, in fact unretire if you so please, but if you want to stop playing hockey before your contract is up you should retire. Period.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
Timmy doesn't owe anything to me, to you, to any of the fans in Boston. But he does owe a year of service to the Boston Bruins.

Thanks for the Cup. It is probably the greatest memory of my short life so far. But no thanks for walking out at the end of it. If you want to take a year off wait til your contract expires OR retire. The decision to walk away wasn't to help the Bruins so it really doesn't matter if him retiring "hurts" the Bruins. It was managements choice to sign him to a long term over 35+ contract knowing that they would be liable for the hit in every year no matter what unless he was traded.

There are rules put in place if you are done with hockey you retire. You don't just bail on your contract. You can, in fact unretire if you so please, but if you want to stop playing hockey before your contract is up you should retire. Period.
What's the difference between him retiring officially and saying he needs time off? The only difference would be him using the word retire.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
What's the difference between him retiring officially and saying he needs time off? The only difference would be him using the word retire.
That and the fact he is under contract if he just says he needs time off, but he no longer has a contract if he retires.

Tim and his agent negotiated a contract and signed on the dotted line. He has an obligation to honor that contract IMO. If he doesn't want to, he should then retire.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
That and the fact he is under contract if he just says he needs time off, but he no longer has a contract if he retires.

Tim and his agent negotiated a contract and signed on the dotted line. He has an obligation to honor that contract IMO. If he doesn't want to, he should then retire.
If he retires he is STILL under contract regardless and the Bruins would still be on the hook for his cap hit. It's that stupid 35+ rule.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Number8

Q: Is Visnovsky situation on the Isle/KHL similar to TT situation and ok?

Wants to stay in Russia and play for KHL, which is obviously much closer to his family and his culture.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote