HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Vajakki

vCash: 500
^Means nothing though, only speculation without any actual sources.

Are the Canucks on the hook for the whole contract (cap wise) after Luongo retires before his contract ends? Did that rule come with the new CBA? If so, the value is probably even higher than before.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I just listened to that as well. Toronto is the perfect spot. They don't have high expectations. He can turn into a god there.
Did you happen to catch who the D-man Spector said that Gillis was said to be asking for?

Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Did you happen to catch who the D-man Spector said that Gillis was said to be asking for?
Mike Komi........lol

Old
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
^Means nothing though, only speculation without any actual sources.

Are the Canucks on the hook for the whole contract (cap wise) after Luongo retires before his contract ends? Did that rule come with the new CBA? If so, the value is probably even higher than before.

It changes absolutely nothing for the team that trades for him

Old
01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If only it were so simple.

Question for all non Nuck fans. Why is it whenever we opt to say we're content maintaining the status quo, someone has to rush it demanding, "NO YOU HAVE TO TRADE LUONGO." And then proceeds to offer crap they know we aren't going to like. Cue arguments.

You guys do not want to pay x? Great, we're content to roll the same roster. Win/win, yes?

You can't roll the same roster.

The Cap is going down by 6 million, and you have large raises to Burrows and Edler (if you retain Edler) starting next season.

You have to trade Luongo or make sacrifices elsewhere in the team. You cannot "roll the same roster."

Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

The Cap is going down by 6 million, and you have large raises to Burrows and Edler (if you retain Edler) starting next season.

You have to trade Luongo or make sacrifices elsewhere in the team. You cannot "roll the same roster."
We can this year wait and see what happens with other teams. There is always some goalie turbulence throughout the season.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You guys do not want to pay x? Great, we're content to roll the same roster. Win/win, yes?
Canucks fans are not allowed to use that argument.

Schneider and Luongo on the same roster will result in ______________ and the Canucks will lose.

a) locker room conflict (disregard Luongo and Schneider being exemplary team mates)

b) bad cap space management (disregard Canucks routinely spending more than 13% of cap on G previous years)

c) Luongo's value plummeting (seriously, Bozak+ is the peak and teams never get desperate after a shaky start)

d) unwanted media attention (disregard that Vancouver is a hockey market)

e) not enough cap space in future seasons (any fan made rosters on CapGeek are clearly missing something)

f) we cannot re-sign Edler (disregard astute cap management by Gilman and buy outs). Noticing this is brought up by fans of teams who want Edler.

and my personal favourite: Canucks NEED a #3C/depth dmen. For this reason please don't bring up how Gillis has a history of trading 3rds/4ths for Pahlsson/Alberts/Lappierre. This year he's trading Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
We can this year wait and see what happens with other teams. There is always some goalie turbulence throughout the season.
You can definitely run it this season. I agree. Once the cap drops you can retain Luongo and Schneider, but it will seriously handicap your ability to fill out the rest of the lineup.

Like I said before, Edler and Burrows are getting substantial raises each.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
lush
@jasonlush

For what it's worth, I was getting a bit entrenched in my stance that the Canucks would be just fine with both Schneider and Luongo. There just wasn't enough proof that the two couldn't get along fabulously for awhile longer.

I will say that Luongo still being in Florida and not returning to Vancouver immediately after the CBA moved forward was a big sign. Unless I'm mistaken he's still hanging out in Miami.

With that being said he will tow the company line and say all the right things, but I really do sense he would be against coming back. In some ways it's probably a good thing in that it should remove any NTC restrictions that realistically exist but there isn't any real transparency.

Any other season and Luongo would be back practicing with the other Canucks by now I reckon

Old
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Quote:

The sacrifice elsewhere might be Schnieder. He is scheduled to recieve four million. The Canucks will be able to get a cheaper, by millions, back-up.

I do not think the Canucks are positioned poorly for the new cap. They have room as it is and two buyouts (Booth? Ballard?) to use. Edler probably won't return, he could have signed before the lockoput but did not.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Numbers

Quote:
You can definitely run it this season. I agree. Once the cap drops you can retain Luongo and Schneider, but it will seriously handicap your ability to fill out the rest of the lineup.

Like I said before, Edler and Burrows are getting substantial raises each.
But did you read the entire post? Wait and see with other teams. I doubt everything will go according to plan with every other team. And who knows maybe we will trade Schneider.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
For what it's worth, I was getting a bit entrenched in my stance that the Canucks would be just fine with both Schneider and Luongo. There just wasn't enough proof that the two couldn't get along fabulously for awhile longer.

I will say that Luongo still being in Florida and not returning to Vancouver immediately after the CBA moved forward was a big sign. Unless I'm mistaken he's still hanging out in Miami.

With that being said he will tow the company line and say all the right things, but I really do sense he would be against coming back. In some ways it's probably a good thing in that it should remove any NTC restrictions that realistically exist but there isn't any real transparency.

Any other season and Luongo would be back practicing with the other Canucks by now I reckon
Time with his family before the season?

Old
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Sergei Berezin

No interest in Connolly or Lombardi from Canucks?

1 year left for each of them and they have lots of experience.

Lombardi would be perfect on a speedy 3rd line, or Connolly would fit perfectly on the third line, which would push down Malhotra and you'd have two great PKing bottom 6 centres who can also chip in offensively.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post

Lombardi would be perfect on a speedy 3rd line, or Connolly would fit perfectly on the third line, which would push down Malhotra and you'd have two great PKing bottom 6 centres who can also chip in offensively.
No interest at all.

01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

Ive been pushing for Connolly for quite a while.

- Temporary Kes replacement
- 3C with offense and a good defensive game
- 2nd Unit PP C
- Could be top-6 playmaker we need.

He would be had for cents on the dollar (unlike Bozak) and his cap off the books next year would be a major plus.

* please dont think im saying Connolly for Lu. I value Connolly as a cap dump/add in. Not a focal piece.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Because every competent hockey mind realizes that if yoy tie up 1/6 of your cap space in goaltending and you will have serious deficiencies on the rest of the roster. While most on HF boards are fine having their 4th line and 3rd D pairing all be rookies, every GM knows that isn't a winning formula.
We dont really have any major deficiencies on our roster though...

Old
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Ive been pushing for Connolly for quite a while.

- Temporary Kes replacement
- 3C with offense and a good defensive game
- 2nd Unit PP C
- Could be top-6 playmaker we need.

He would be had for cents on the dollar (unlike Bozak) and his cap off the books next year would be a major plus.
I like Connolly as well, just not for Luongo. Connolly + would be stretching it. For all the knocks on Luongo he still helps the leafs now, and more importantly, he IS an elite level goaltender.

"But Luongo hasn't won a cup!"

okay.. well neither has Lundqvist and for some reason people seem to think Lundqvist is better than Luongo

Old
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
mstad101

Quote:

Ok so you've filled the usual Cal Dump portion of the trade. Where is Kadri and the 1st? Maybe you'll actually get some traction in this.

Or at least start your post by saying "looking for bargain price trade" than subsequently post offer that will be rejected.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Deuce Awesome

Connolly would be fine as a temp as long as you wrap him in bubblewrap.

Seriously though when he is playing he is fine. He's not a PPG player by any stretch but he doesn't make mistakes.

A fifty game season he should be good for about 30. Maybe you would get lucky and get the first 30 out of them, then he slips on a banana peel, and Kesler would be back by then.

I am getting a kick out of reading the Lu threads on both team boards.

Canucks fans think they are going to get Reilly, Gardiner and a boat.

Leafs fans think they are trading Komisarek, Franson and a seventh.

Obviously it will be in the middle as always, probably the Bozak and Kadri parcel we keep hearing about. Im fine with that as a Leafs fan.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:07 PM
caley

Former Lightning GM Brian Lawton tweeted the following

Quote:
Against popular sentiment I don't expect R. Luongo to be moved this season. I see frustration then compliance buy-out as likely.
https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/sta...23932661493763

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
FAMOUSfin

TML has 9M in available cap space for this year. Don't know why they would need to make a cap dump which would expire at the end of the seaon anyways.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I just listened to that as well. Toronto is the perfect spot. They don't have high expectations. He can turn into a god there.
Toronto fans are incredibly lenient with their goaltending. To this day, people still think highly of Andrew Raycroft (37 wins). Andrew Raycroft was an atrocity between the pipes. Luongo shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

The biggest #1 overall bust in the history of the NHL has spoken.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

I don't understand why Vancouver would pursue that course of action. Wouldn't it be better to trade him for nothing and save an incredible amount of coin? Or is Gillis that stubborn and doesn't want to do anyone any favours? And for the record, I think Gillis' stubbornness will be the precise reason why Luongo will never be a Maple Leaf, even if it made sense from an asset point of view. I think there's too much bad blood between Vancouver and Toronto's management teams.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Toronto fans are incredibly lenient with their goaltending. To this day, people still think highly of Andrew Raycroft (37 wins). Andrew Raycroft was an atrocity between the pipes. Luongo shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Lu even on the downward trajectory is still the best goalie we would have had since Belfour.

Closed Thread