HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Senators Training Camp (26 Players, 3goalies))

Old
01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
General Granny*

vCash: 500
Noesen at camp would be interesting, he didn't look out of place last camp with NHLers.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I loved Winny, and agree he could be missed on out first pk, and in defensive situations. The guy played the most pk minutes on our team last year even after missing a good amount of games. Having said that, O'Brien is pretty good at faceoffs or am I wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
he played only 32 games last year, we were fine.

I dont think will miss him at all, i never liked the guy tho.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

Out of our regular faceoff takers only Spezza, Konopka and Winchester were above 50%.

Two of those guys are gone now. All I can say is that I'm worried about our puck possession based system when we only have one centerman we can count on to take all our important faceoffs.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
Source?
alfie's been having back problems for basically the last 5 years. This isnt new information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

Out of our regular faceoff takers only Spezza, Konopka and Winchester were above 50%.

Two of those guys are gone now. All I can say is that I'm worried about our puck possession based system when we only have one centerman we can count on to take all our important faceoffs.
konopka and winchester combined for ~630 faceoffs. Spezza, Turris, and Smith combined for ~3400 (and turris came in late).

how much of a difference is it really going to make?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
alfie's been having back problems for basically the last 5 years. This isnt new information.

konopka and winchester combined for ~630 faceoffs. Spezza, Turris, and Smith combined for ~3400 (and turris came in late).

how much of a difference is it really going to make?
It's hard to say. It's hard to argue that those two took some of the important defensive faceoff duties away from Spezza, which in turn freed him up to take more offensive faceoffs and create offense.

All you have to do is look at Spezza's offensive zone start percentage compared to previous years to see that. Maybe Smith or Turris or Regin or JOB can take those duties without too big a drop off, and we don't have to talk about it. I'm just worried that they won't be able to do so, which means Spezza is forced to take more defensive faceoffs, limiting his offensive production that we rely so heavily on.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Saturday Jan 19 afternoon game CBC

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Really sucks about Zibanejad. I don't want to call him a bust just yet but he's shown almost nothing so far and hasn't really improved since he was drafted.

In retrospect Dougie Hamilton would have been a much better pick, especially since the Sens picked two more forwards a little bit later in the draft and with the emergence of Stone and Silfverberg.
It's way too early to write him off. He's only 19 years old. Players all develop differently. Obviously there is no guarantee that Zibby will turn out great, but let's not give up on him just yet. Let's bump this thread in 5 years or so, and we will see if you were right or not.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
BK201

like i said in the Zibanejad is the real deal thread Coach LR said Zibanejad was the best coming out of camp and was progressing nicely.

Paraphrasing here but he said that Silfverberg and Zibanejad had been progressing in spurts and felt had zibanejad not gotten sick(lol) he would have been around the same level but not for sure obviously everyone develop's differently.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Really sucks about Zibanejad. I don't want to call him a bust just yet but he's shown almost nothing so far and hasn't really improved since he was drafted.

In retrospect Dougie Hamilton would have been a much better pick, especially since the Sens picked two more forwards a little bit later in the draft and with the emergence of Stone and Silfverberg.
He was playing well in Binghamton before he got injured. Overall I would say he has been impressive so far considering the fact that he is a 19 year old. Some fans may not know this but the only 19 year olds they let in the AHL are Europeans and for the most part it is a huge adjustment to play in the AHL for CHL players let alone Europeans. I think one of the things a lot of sens fans need to learn is patience. Zibanejad still has a ton of potential and could very well end up the best forward of all our forward prospects. Just because he isn't necessarily "lighting it up" at this point, doesn't mean he won't be a dominant player in the long run.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
arglebargle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
It's way too early to write him off. He's only 19 years old. Players all develop differently. Obviously there is no guarantee that Zibby will turn out great, but let's not give up on him just yet. Let's bump this thread in 5 years or so, and we will see if you were right or not.
I'm definitely not writing him off, as you said he's still only 19. All I'm saying is I expected more out of a guy they picked 6th overall than "improved his stats slightly in the SEL, came to the AHL, had trouble outplaying our Parisian college FA, has been injured a lot".

Again, I'm not saying he's a bust, but I'm a lot more worried about it happening now than I was when they picked him.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
I'm definitely not writing him off, as you said he's still only 19. All I'm saying is I expected more out of a guy they picked 6th overall than "improved his stats slightly in the SEL, came to the AHL, had trouble outplaying our Parisian college FA, has been injured a lot".

Again, I'm not saying he's a bust, but I'm a lot more worried about it happening now than I was when they picked him.
Sure, I get what you're saying. It's natural to be concerned and perhaps even dissapointed, but you have to patient with young players. Hopefully he has a good rest of the season down in the AHL, and then comes to camp in the fall and plays awesome.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
General Granny*

That college FA is also 4 years older and received a couple of offers from other NHL teams, he's pretty good.

Also for the injuries, I remember fans writing Cowen off post draft because of injuries. Same is happening with Puempel and Zibby.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:

let me calm you down a bit by saying that zibanejad had more pts in the sel than silfverberg at the same age and now in the ahl only had a few pts less but was playing just as well overall or better and is 3 yrs younger than silfv.

nothing to worry about

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

At the beginning of the year when the lock-out seemed to be close to being lifted earlier, Murray submitted that he wanted 2 CHLers for camp. Ceci and Noesen. I'm assuming that hasn't changed yet. Noesen has deserved this.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I think considering where Stone is slotted in Bingo, they've been prepping him to work up from the bottom six in the NHL. With that said, I think next year is when he makes it. Once Silf and maybe Hoffman moves up, he will jump into the top 6 most definentely.
Don't believe Stone will make the jump to the NHL until he holds down a top six in the AHL for a period of time.

IMO he hasn't outplayed anyone on the top six in Binghamton as of yet.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
At the beginning of the year when the lock-out seemed to be close to being lifted earlier, Murray submitted that he wanted 2 CHLers for camp. Ceci and Noesen. I'm assuming that hasn't changed yet. Noesen has deserved this.
Agreed, be really surprised if Noesen isn't invited.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Don't believe Stone will make the jump to the NHL until he holds down a top six in the AHL for a period of time.

I agree but Stone has the ability to steal a spot in camp... stoked to see what happens

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
DeVoice

i will agree that Stone may not get a first shot BUT i bet he sees time up in the Bigs early on more so due to last short season there were Alot of injuries...or atleast days off by players. (Coaches don't like to burn out the older guys..very much so if playoffs are in the mix)

agree no?

DeVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
BK201

We'll see how camp goes, Stone seemed to have something with spezza in his limited ice time.

They may just want solid development from him so the AHL would probably a good place for him all year. I would think he's still considered a project.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Hammertyme

As far as dmen I am not sure that Benoit should to be going to camp. He was brought in as an AHL leader(and of course the son in law of the goalie coach). I would bring in guys who are in the long range plans who have earned the spot. Benoit is always a point getter in the AHL but really hasn't done much in the show when he has had the chance. His AHL point totals are usually good but his defensive skills are not NHL quality. I suppose it will be up to the coaches and I hope they make the right decisions and choose who has earned the invite based on merit and long term plans. Ceci being a first round pick is likely a shoe-in for a look.

Hammertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

Ever since Petersson and Zibanejad got injured, the Dziurzynski-Grant-Stone line has been our second line. So I'm not sure which top six guys you are talking about aside from the guys on the first line. Stone's line has created a ton of chances, they just haven't necessaries been putting up the points. I think some fans are putting too much weight into stats, Stone has created a lot of very good scoring chances this season.

With that being said, I do feel that it would benefit him to spend most of the season in Bingo. He should get a handful of games as a call up, but he could benefit from being the go to guy in Bingo.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
Source?
Alfie was on the team last week and said while working out this year his back locked up and stopped him for a week and he had trouble motivating himself after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
I think Murray said on his radio interview that Ceci will come to camp.
he did Ceci will be at camp.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
burf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
As far as dmen I am not sure that Benoit should to be going to camp. He was brought in as an AHL leader(and of course the son in law of the goalie coach). I would bring in guys who are in the long range plans who have earned the spot. Benoit is always a point getter in the AHL but really hasn't done much in the show when he has had the chance. His AHL point totals are usually good but his defensive skills are not NHL quality. I suppose it will be up to the coaches and I hope they make the right decisions and choose who has earned the invite based on merit and long term plans. Ceci being a first round pick is likely a shoe-in for a look.
His only shot "in the show" was 8 games a few years ago when the team was a dumpster fire, and he was one of the few defensive bright spots during his callup (him and Derek Smith were both very impressive for being AHL lifers, and neither looked out of place at all in the NHL). I'd be more comfortable with him filling in for Cowen than either PW or Boro, especially given the extra importance of every game in a shortened season.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
His only shot "in the show" was 8 games a few years ago when the team was a dumpster fire, and he was one of the few defensive bright spots during his callup (him and Derek Smith were both very impressive for being AHL lifers, and neither looked out of place at all in the NHL). I'd be more comfortable with him filling in for Cowen than either PW or Boro, especially given the extra importance of every game in a shortened season.
Please don't say Derek Smith was good when he was called up.

I still have nightmares of that game against Detroit when he was walked around like 3 times a shift.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
derriko

You know who would've been a darkhorse player? Kyrill Lyamin. Though it doesnt sound like he got an invite, and he probably would be even less likely to attend a camp during the middle of a season.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
You know who would've been a darkhorse player? Kyrill Lyamin. Though it doesnt sound like he got an invite, and he probably would be even less likely to attend a camp during the middle of a season.
Great thinking. I doubt he would make it to camp but i wonder if he would consider moving from the KHL mid season.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote