HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Old
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

vCash: 500
I know we'd probably have to add, but I ****ing love Frans Nielsen. But I'm not sure the Isles are quite that desperate for D.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Rolston's done. I'm pretty sure he's played his last NHL game, and I can't picture any team wanting to give him a chance unless it's the CBJ or something, and they'll likely use him the same way the Isles did. Which he was not happy about. He said he's content with his career being over though if it has to be. Which is a shame cause he did play well with Boston.

I don't want him back though. I'd rather take chances with Gomez than him. Yes I know the buyouts don't happen until next year.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Rolston's done. I'm pretty sure he's played his last NHL game, and I can't picture any team wanting to give him a chance unless it's the CBJ or something, and they'll likely use him the same way the Isles did. Which he was not happy about. He said he's content with his career being over though if it has to be. Which is a shame cause he did play well with Boston.

I don't want him back though. I'd rather take chances with Gomez than him. Yes I know the buyouts don't happen until next year.
I can understand everything you said until that bolded part. Barring some miracle resurgence, nobody's gonna be trading for Gomez at the deadline when his contract his up.

Eggers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I can understand everything you said until that bolded part. Barring some miracle resurgence, nobody's gonna be trading for Gomez at the deadline when his contract his up.
LOL I meant if we signed him after the buyouts! I still wouldn't want him just wanted him before Rolston! NEVER at that contract he's on now either! I'd hope it would be a cheap million dollar contract if we did take a chance with him.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
LOL I meant if we signed him after the buyouts! I still wouldn't want him just wanted him before Rolston! NEVER at that contract he's on now either! I'd hope it would be a cheap million dollar contract if we did take a chance with him.
No, I understand what you said. I'm saying I'd rather Rolston be on this team at a 1m cap hit than Gomez on this team at a 1m cap hit. Hell, I'd take Rolston at 2m over Gomez at league minimum, but that's an irrelevant point because it would never come to that.

Really though, I just hate Gomez. That ******* doesn't deserve any special favors from Lou in the twilight of his career.

Eggers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Do you guys really think D'Agostini would be a difference maker? I see him mainly as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
He would be a good complementary forward for the top 6, and an excellent third liner. I think we could do much worse if we want to trade a surplus defenceman in this market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I did enjoy one downtrodden Islander fan's comment that they can reach the floor by rushing their rookies with inflated cap hits (Brock Nelson, Griffin Reinhart) to the NHL.
Two words should immediately put paid to that idea: Nino and Niederreiter.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Yeah I agree. We have more than enough forwards that could conceivably fill out a VERY serviceable bottom 6. I'm not sure I trust our potential top-6 to carry the load of the scoring right now, though. However, we WILL hopefully have a full season of Zidlicky and an improved Larsson, so maybe we won't be watching a completely anemic defense for once.
Helm can't cost that much. He has 83 PTS in 248 games. Last season was a .38 PTS per game player. Tallinder is a solid 2nd pairing Defenseman that can play 20+ minutes a game.

I just think Helm's speed and fore-checking might be a prefect fit for our system.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
No, I understand what you said. I'm saying I'd rather Rolston be on this team at a 1m cap hit than Gomez on this team at a 1m cap hit. Hell, I'd take Rolston at 2m over Gomez at league minimum, but that's an irrelevant point because it would never come to that.

Really though, I just hate Gomez. That ******* doesn't deserve any special favors from Lou in the twilight of his career.
I never cared for him either. Gomez in his prime centering Kovy could have been better than him centering Mogilny though. Rolston I was mad at until last year. I'm pissed cause his spot took away Gionta's the next year. Gionta really wanted to stay too, and for a huge discount!

Old
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Mgd31

Be interesting to see who is the odd man out on the back end when the season starts. Someone got to sit.

Last edited by Mgd31: 01-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Helm can't cost that much. He has 83 PTS in 248 games. Last season was a .38 PTS per game player. Tallinder is a solid 2nd pairing Defenseman that can play 20+ minutes a game.

I just think Helm's speed and fore-checking might be a prefect fit for our system.
You're looking at straight stats, though. The Wings value Helm more than any stat sheet could tell you. That'll be the issue in trying to pry him out of Detroit.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
You're looking at straight stats, though. The Wings value Helm more than any stat sheet could tell you. That'll be the issue in trying to pry him out of Detroit.
If Detroit values him so much how come he only had 14:31 ATOI? Helm is ranked 10th out of the forwards on his team in Off Zone Start% and 10th in quality of competition. Detroit did lose their #1 D who played 23:46 minutes this off-season.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
holikwillfindyou

anyone else feel like our D is solid enough to fend off our division rivals in the upcoming shortened season? i'm not saying its the perfect (or desirable) crew, but they almost managed get the job done last year.

holikwillfindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
anyone else feel like our D is solid enough to fend off our division rivals in the upcoming shortened season? i'm not saying its the perfect (or desirable) crew, but they almost managed get the job done last year.
I'm comfortable with what we got. Even if we get rid of Tallinder I'm more than comfortable. It's someone like Greene I don't wanna lose unless it's MASSIVE overpayment.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
No, I don't have too many doubts either.
The Devils play a system that isn't based on flashy offense, but maintaining offensive zone presence and wearing down opposing teams by keeping them pinned in.

While the Rangers are better on paper, their passive defense is prime for getting worn down by such a system.
The Flyers and Penguins are full of enough holes that if the guys can get out of their own end, they can find a way to win.
And the Islanders... who the **** ever knows what happens in games against them, but they're also beatable.

So long as the defense does a good job of maintaining point coverage and remains smart about pinching, I think the team has a good shot... even with the lack of forward depth.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
tycobb

Quote:
I'm comfortable with what we got. Even if we get rid of Tallinder I'm more than comfortable. It's someone like Greene I don't wanna lose unless it's MASSIVE overpayment.
I would value Tallinder slightly ahead of Greene, but I think our D will be in the top 5 in the league. I am expecting to see progress from Larsson and remember Fayne is only 25 years old. I won't be surprised if Fayne becomes our #1 defender this season.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
I would value Tallinder slightly ahead of Greene, but I think our D will be in the top 5 in the league. I am expecting to see progress from Larsson and remember Fayne is only 25 years old. I won't be surprised if Fayne becomes our #1 defender this season.
Greene's a few years younger than Tallinder, and also isn't coming off a big injury like Tallinder who's only played 3 games since returning from it. I think Greene might hold a little more value. And I prefer Greene to Tallinder 110 times out 100.

I'm not sure about top 5. By top 5 do you mean 5th in goals against? We were top 8 last year much cause of the PK. With a slow Marty I'm not sure. If our PK was a one trick pony last year too I can see us giving up more goals than last year. If we can finally have a PP more than mediocre though we could at least match last year in goals. And if we get more scoring for our defense I think we can match last years production at least.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 PM
holikwillfindyou

Quote:
absolutely. greene is a workhorse. tallinder did have a couple of end to end rushes that always stuck out in my mind. dont really remember if he finished em' and maybe thats the problem haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
No, I don't have too many doubts either.
The Devils play a system that isn't based on flashy offense, but maintaining offensive zone presence and wearing down opposing teams by keeping them pinned in.

While the Rangers are better on paper, their passive defense is prime for getting worn down by such a system.
The Flyers and Penguins are full of enough holes that if the guys can get out of their own end, they can find a way to win.
And the Islanders... who the **** ever knows what happens in games against them, but they're also beatable.

So long as the defense does a good job of maintaining point coverage and remains smart about pinching, I think the team has a good shot... even with the lack of forward depth.
pinching is soo crucial. glad you brought that point up. towards the end of last season i think all of us saw that we could contain, and come up with the puck in the defensive zone. MZ is a pinching machine, but his problem is coughing up the puck after retaining possession. it's going to be very interesting to see what PD does to tighten up our rag tag group

holikwillfindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Greene's a few years younger than Tallinder, and also isn't coming off a big injury like Tallinder who's only played 3 games since returning from it. I think Greene might hold a little more value. And I prefer Greene to Tallinder 110 times out 100.

I'm not sure about top 5. By top 5 do you mean 5th in goals against? We were top 8 last year much cause of the PK. With a slow Marty I'm not sure. If our PK was a one trick pony last year too I can see us giving up more goals than last year. If we can finally have a PP more than mediocre though we could at least match last year in goals. And if we get more scoring for our defense I think we can match last years production at least.
Tallinder was #1 for TOI when 5 v 5 last season and the season before that. I think the Devils view Tallinder as our #1 defense man.

Since forwards are just as important as defenseman in goals against it wouldn't really be fair to say we are top 5 in goals against because of defense improvements alone. But I do think we will be in the top 5 fewest goals allowed as well as being in the top 5 fewest shots allowed.

I think we will show much improvement on 5v5 goals allowed. We were 12th last season. We were 2nd though for 5v5 Shots allowed.

Last edited by tycobb: 01-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Tallinder was #1 for TOI when 5 v 5 last season and the season before that. I think the Devils view Tallinder as our #1 defense man.

Since forwards are just as important as defenseman in goals against it wouldn't really be fair to say we are top 5 in goals against because of defense improvements alone. But I do think we will be in the top 5 fewest goals allowed as well as being in the top 5 fewest shots allowed.
We got to the SCF without Tallinder playing for half a season, and no games in the playoffs until game 4 of the SCF. I'm not sure that the Devils view him off limits for a trade.

Would you seriously be bummed if we traded Tallinder? The one bad thing I can't wait for are the GDT's when people complain about Tallinder more than Marty!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:09 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
If Andy Greene was 3 inches taller he'd be a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I have the greatest response ever to this and I just can't type it because I'd be permanently banned from HF.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
He's already a legit top pairing defenseman on our team. I don't think he would be around the league though.

We were a bubble team when Tallinder got hurt halfway through the season, and were in the SCF by the time he was cleared to play.

For all you Tallinder lovers I'm not saying Tallinder getting hurt made us better. I'm just saying Tallinder getting hurt didn't put us in a hole, and I think the team will be fine without him. A couple things contributed to our second half success like Marty playing like an elite goalie again, and not needing the shootout to win half our games anymore.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
tycobb

Quote:
We got to the SCF without Tallinder playing for half a season, and no games in the playoffs until game 4 of the SCF. I'm not sure that the Devils view him off limits for a trade.

Would you seriously be bummed if we traded Tallinder? The one bad thing I can't wait for are the GDT's when people complain about Tallinder more than Marty!
Oh not at all. The only 2 D I would be upset if we traded was Larsson and Fayne. I was just saying that I think the Devils view Tallinder as our #1 defenseman.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Quote:
Oh not at all. The only 2 D I would be upset if we traded was Larsson and Fayne. I was just saying that I think the Devils view Tallinder as our #1 defenseman.
Alright I get you. I would be bummed if we traded Greene. Add Greene to Larsson, and Fayne.

I would consider Fayne, but I wouldn't be happy with him leaving unless he got us something that's in reality worth much more than he's really worth around the league.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

If Volch would waive...

I think:

Fayne-Greene
Sal-Zid
Tallinder-Larsson

could be pretty solid pairings. The first two gelled really well in the playoffs, at least.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote