HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Best move for the Canucks is to hold on to Luongo and buy him in the offseason.

No risk of this cap hit potentially biting them in the rear down the road if he retires early
No it isn't

I bet youre thinking *YES! buy out Luongo so we can sign him in the summer*

Old
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Depthwise, where do Connolly and Kadri fit in?

I know Kulemin is a decent 2nd line tweener, but the Leafs were in the top end of NHL scoring and near the bottom of goals against.

Wouldnt it make sense to deal from a position of strength (forward) to address an issue (precenting goals against)?
Kule in addition to being a possible scoring option is a fantastic defensive player.
Yes our goals against was terrible last year but trading our best 2way player isnt the best way to fix that problem. His defensive game has more to do with why I and many others are so hesitant to trade him.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
No it isn't

I bet in your mind you think *YES! buy out Luongo so we can sign him in the summer*
nope. He'd probably sign in Florida anyway

so you're ok with a potential $2-4M cap hit for 3-4 years ?

Old
Spectrefire

Damn, I forgot the Leafs drafted Matt Finn. He'd definitely be a good piece for the Canucks.

Old
36crazyfists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
What part of that trade is supposed to help the Canucks?
Raymond appears to be the guy most likely to be dealt.

The Nucks get the salary relief they are seeking. Instead of having to buy Luongo out next summer, they will get something of remote value. Who do you actually think the Nucks are going to get? If they can't snag Bjugstad out of Florida for him (one prospect) what kind of quality do you think they get? They're not going to get a substantial package in return, bottom line. Vancouver doesn't hold much leverage with the declaration Luongo is the one who wants out...

Lack is hurt and require a backup, Reimer fits that role...Bozak is an upgrade over Raymond and Mckegg is a prospect who has scored at the junior level.

Maybe instead of Mckegg, what if the Leafs were to add Mcarthur?

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
No it isn't

I bet youre thinking *YES! buy out Luongo so we can sign him in the summer*
If he is bought out, one of the last places he'll go to is Toronto.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Kule in addition to being a possible scoring option is a fantastic defensive player.
Yes our goals against was terrible last year but trading our best 2way player isnt the best way to fix that problem. His defensive game has more to do with why I and many others are so hesitant to trade him.
Fair enough. I would be fine with Finn + Franson in lieu of Kulemin.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Best move for the Canucks is to hold on to Luongo and buy him in the offseason.

No risk of this cap hit potentially biting them in the rear down the road if he retires early
It doesn't make any sense, trade him and get value in return, or buy him out and watch you guys along with 5+ other teams flock to him and make good offers.

Buying him out isn't an option, we will waive him before we buy him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
Here's my analysis:

Luongo has value as a very good goaltender but with some question marks and he is older at age 34. Thus he is prime only for his best play in the next 3-4 years. On top of this he has a No trade clause limiting the options of his GM to get the best value available.

His contract, aside from dipietro and maybe khabibulin, is the worst goalie contract in the NHL and it just got worse with the contraction of the cap.

Thus one would have to assess how much the luongo's contract diminishes his trade value.

The contract is a negative thing for all cup contending teams as it takes up a lot of cap room especially for the goalie position. Thus, the teams he would be ideally suited for like him less due to the contract.

The other thing would be the fact that Luongo's question mark is on his performance in the playoffs. If you are a cup contending team, and you see a goalie have meltdowns and bad performances that outshine his accomplishments, you know that Luongo is not a sure thing in net for your own team's performance.

Thus to a contender Luongo is Not attractive and thus I would assume that would mean any contender would probably pass unless Vancouver was offering a high Value asset alongside luongo to offset the sting of Luongo's contract. I don't know of any Canucks players that could realistically be offered in this way.

For Toronto, they have $$$ and they are a couple years away from being considered a contender. They will offer something for Luongo IMO only because of the option to exercise an amnesty buyout after this year and next. Thus he would worth the chance to have as a goalie to potentially solidify the team for this season and maybe next.

I could see Toronto offering only a 3rd or 4th line veteran type, or a non-high potential asset. They won't want to give up much of anything in terms of future value. They will look at Luongo as a goalie who would be capable of helping the leafs to the playoffs this season.

If Luongo is bad, he will be bought out by the leafs after the season is over. Thus he would be viewed like a project player.

If Luongo is good, they will give him another year. If he is good after that, they will have to decide whether he is playing good enough to keep around and bring more success for the leafs. At some point however his contract will limit what the leafs can do up front, and Reimer may be ready to take over by then thus Luongo would get traded or bought out.

The canucks would rather have luongo gone now than have to hold onto him and buy him out in the offseason, thus I believe the canucks will make a deal before the season starts and they will take anything that won't hurt their cap and could potentially contribute to the team. If Toronto is in the playoff race at the trade deadline and if Reimer is playing like trash and hindering the race, and Luongo is playing well when called upon in Vancouver. Toronto might be convinced to give up something like kadri to help solidify the team.
The only issue with the contract is the length, the cap hit is great. 5.3 for a goalie of Lu's calibre, I don't see how that is an issue.

This is tough to understand but there were alot more times Luongo was amazing in the playoffs and came up huge in the big moments than when he didn't.

You said a veteran 3rd/4th line player for Luongo, so Connolly, Steckel or McClement striaght across for Luongo? Hell no. Would rather trade him to Florida for a 2nd.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post

The Nucks get the salary relief they are seeking. Instead of having to buy Luongo out next summer, they will get something of remote value. Who do you actually think the Nucks are going to get? If they can't snag Bjugstad out of Florida for him (one prospect) what kind of quality do you think they get? They're not going to get a substantial package in return, bottom line. Vancouver doesn't hold much leverage with the declaration Luongo is the one who wants out...

Lack is hurt and require a backup, Reimer fits that role...Bozak is an upgrade over Raymond and Mckegg is a prospect who has scored at the junior level.

That's better but still no.

Bozak isn't really all that much better than Raymond, We don't need another young goalie like Riemer who is unproven in his own right.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

1) Why? No noise about Raymond and just signed a 1 year "prove us wrong" type deal.

2) We dont need Reimer, even as a backup. We could sign Dan Ellis if need be.

3) Bozak is like the center version of Raymond. Yes we need a 3C, but I wouldnt center a deal around Bozak

4) mckegg has little value. MacArthur is pretty irrelevant on our roster.

Doesnt help van

Old
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Fair enough. I would be fine with Finn + Franson in lieu of Kulemin.
In addition to what else?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
nope. He'd probably sign in Florida anyway

so you're ok with a potential $2-4M cap hit for 3-4 years ?
Its not up to me, its up to the Aquilini's & I bet they don't mind that compared to what they'd have to pay Luongo. Then you add the fact that we'd get nothing of value for a guy that is still tops in his position.

Buying Luongo out is retarded.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
In addition to what else?
Id been suggesting Connolly + Kadri + Kulemin (or Finn + Franson instead of Kuli)

Old
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
The only issue with the contract is the length, the cap hit is great. 5.3 for a goalie of Lu's calibre, I don't see how that is an issue.

This is tough to understand but there were alot more times Luongo was amazing in the playoffs and came up huge in the big moments than when he didn't.

You said a veteran 3rd/4th line player for Luongo, so Connolly, Steckel or McClement striaght across for Luongo? Hell no. Would rather trade him to Florida for a 2nd.
When a team like Florida looks at Luongo's contract they dont see the 5.3m cap hit they see his 6.7M in real dollars.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
36crazyfists

Quote:
1) Why? No noise about Raymond and just signed a 1 year "prove us wrong" type deal.

2) We dont need Reimer, even as a backup. We could sign Dan Ellis if need be.

3) Bozak is like the center version of Raymond. Yes we need a 3C, but I wouldnt center a deal around Bozak

4) mckegg has little value. MacArthur is pretty irrelevant on our roster.

Doesnt help van
Ok, fair enough. I understand your points and they do make sense. However, what do you expect to get for a 33 year old goalie with a massive contract? And let's use the Leafs because it does seem like the most plausible location at this point....

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

At this point, the Canucks are better off holding onto him than dealing him for nothing. None of these proposals are giving up anything worthwhile. IMO you're better off holding onto him and hoping something better comes along than dealing him for nothing. At the very least you get another year of solid play out of him.

Old
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
A TO reporter would be more likely to post something that is pro-leafs.
You're not from Toronto are you. FYI, the media makes a living taking a **** on Leafs on a daily basis. Especially Simmonds.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Id been suggesting Connolly + Kadri + Kulemin (or Finn + Franson instead of Kuli)
How about Ashton and a pick instead of Kadri?
Big young former first rounder?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
jammyrft

If he's traded to Leafs no matter who it's for the leafs win the trade. He would get them into the playoffs, be the leafs best goalie in the last 10 years, and be the best player involved in the trade.

The only question is now who on the leafs roster is currently better then any Canuck that can slot in an make a difference. Without getting into a pissing match I don't think the leafs really have much to offer but something around

Bozak, Kadri, 1st

Old
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Full points on everything you've said, but we need two things from a forward we receive:

A center with all those kinds of attributes for our third line.

An offensive minded winger with playmaking ability for Keslers's return, being able to play center also being a plus.

We have 2 way and defensive wingers in our system that are almost as good, as good, or better then Kulemin already, so his value is marginal if we don't have a hole to fill.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Ok, fair enough. I understand your points and they do make sense. However, what do you expect to get for a 33 year old goalie with a massive contract? And let's use the Leafs because it does seem like the most plausible location at this point....
I expect pieces that hold value to the Canucks, and not just random 2nd tier pieces.

Ive been pushing Kadri + Connolly + Kulemin (or Franson + Finn) the last little bit.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
I like the idea of tanev- franson if ballards dealt
IMO without Ballard with Franson it would be more like

Tanev Edler
Franson garrison

I don't mind it, but for this season would rather have Ballard Tanev.

Quote:
When a team like Florida looks at Luongo's contract they dont see the 5.3m cap hit they see his 6.7M in real dollars.
I may be wrong, but talk has been the Canucks could take 3 mil of his salary in trade. So would they then see 3.7mil? Would this also not make him much more attractive?

Again I may be wrong, but I think it makes FLA more and more the front runners with some of the CBA talk.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
How about Ashton and a pick instead of Kadri?
Big young former first rounder?
In all honesty it would have to be a 1st for me if we did.

We have players like Ashton, but we lack talent in our prospect pool.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Full points on everything you've said, but we need two things from a forward we receive:

A center with all those kinds of attributes for our third line.

An offensive minded winger with playmaking ability for Keslers's return, being able to play center also being a plus.

We have 2 way and defensive wingers in our system that are almost as good, as good, or better then Kulemin already, so his value is marginal if we don't have a hole to fill.
Kule really doesn't fill your needs then. He is neither a center nor a playmaker.
I honestly think Bozak can fill your need for a #3 center but I realize most of your fans dont feel the same way.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Lundface

Quote:
I don't expect to get the moon, but I would hope Gillis is smart enough not to trade Luongo if only scraps are offered for him. Luongo is a big reason why Vancouver has been one of the leagues top teams the past few seasons.

If you want him then you will have to part with some pieces you feel are worthwhile, not all spare parts. Pieces like Kadri, Finn, 1st/2nd round pick will need to be included. Some proposals are decent, others are giving up spare parts only.

Vancouver does not need to trade Luongo as it stands. The cap isn't dropping to 60 million, they won't be rushed to make a move.

Closed Thread