HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Murphy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
  #51
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
I can see him being a winger in the NHL but I don't see him making it as a regular d-man in the NHL. Maybe as a PP specialist but that's it. Too many holes in his game.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
  #52
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I can see him being a winger in the NHL but I don't see him making it as a regular d-man in the NHL. Maybe as a PP specialist but that's it. Too many holes in his game.
That misses the whole point, IMHO... the key is that he's developing his game, you can't look at the way he's playing right now and say that he has to be a forward. It'd be like looking at Subban when he was 18 and saying, yeah, he has to be a forward too the way he was playing then. Murphy is a year or two behind in that process, maybe, but it's waaaaaaaay too soon to write him off as a D just based on the current struggles.

If he hasn't progressed his complete game in another 3-4 years from now, well ok, then maybe you start labelling him as a PP specialist/forward switch candidate, but not now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  #53
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I can see him being a winger in the NHL but I don't see him making it as a regular d-man in the NHL. Maybe as a PP specialist but that's it. Too many holes in his game.
Honestly, at this point in his career, if he is going to move to a forward position, he is already destined for failure.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
  #54
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
That misses the whole point, IMHO... the key is that he's developing his game, you can't look at the way he's playing right now and say that he has to be a forward. It'd be like looking at Subban when he was 18 and saying, yeah, he has to be a forward too the way he was playing then. Murphy is a year or two behind in that process, maybe, but it's waaaaaaaay too soon to write him off as a D just based on the current struggles.

If he hasn't progressed his complete game in another 3-4 years from now, well ok, then maybe you start labelling him as a PP specialist/forward switch candidate, but not now.
That's a terrible comparison. PK Subban had 2 inches and 25 lbs on Murphy at that age, you could see the physical side there. Murphy is tiny and doesn't have the frame to put on much weight.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
  #55
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
That's a terrible comparison. PK Subban had 2 inches and 25 lbs on Murphy at that age, you could see the physical side there. Murphy is tiny and doesn't have the frame to put on much weight.
I could be wrong, but I'm suspecting you haven't seen either player much. I saw them around 100 times in junior, fwiw.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
  #56
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Transactions

July 20, 2001 - signed as free agent with Edmonton Oilers.
February 18, 2007 - traded to New York Islanders with 2008 3rd round selection for Denis Grebeshkov.
February 26, 2008 - traded to Anaheim Ducks for 2008 3rd round selection.
June 10, 2008 - traded to Minnesota Wild for a 2008 3rd round pick.
October 6, 2009 - Signed as free agent with Montreal Canadiens.
January 4, 2011 - Signed one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning
June 28, 2011 - Signed two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning
Something like that is my guess.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
  #57
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Something like that is my guess.
Ryan Murphy accomplished as a 17 year old what Marc Andre Bergeron accomplished as an overrager.

There is a reason one was drafted in the first round and the other was undrafted.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
  #58
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Ryan Murphy accomplished as a 17 year old what Marc Andre Bergeron accomplished as an overrager.

There is a reason one was drafted in the first round and the other was undrafted.
If you're using draft status/position as an argument for future success, then you should probably re-think your logic.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
  #59
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
If you're using draft status/position as an argument for future success, then you should probably re-think your logic.
I wasn't using Murphy's draft position as a barometer for future success, I was pointing out the vast difference between his and Marc Andre Bergeron's junior career.

Ryan Murphy did as a teenager what Bergeron did as a 20 year old on the far and away best team in the QMJHL. I'll say it again: this is why Bergeron was undrafted and Murphy went in the first round.

If we are acting logically, shouldn't you explain how Ryan Murphy and Marc-Andre Bergeron will have similar NHL careers, despite their junior careers peaking at vastly different times?


Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 01-07-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
  #60
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
I wasn't using Murphy's draft position as a barometer for future success, I was pointing out the vast difference between his and Marc Andre Bergeron's junior career.

Ryan Murphy did as a teenager what Bergeron did as a 20 year old on the far and away best team in the QMJHL. I'll say it again: this is why Bergeron was undrafted and Murphy went in the first round.

If we are acting logically, shouldn't you explain how Ryan Murphy and Marc-Andre Bergeron will have similar NHL careers, despite their junior careers peaking at vastly different times?
Because when I watch Murphy play, he reminds me of Marc-Andre Bergeron? Poor defensive play and only has offensive ability (although, after the WJC, that could be debated).

like i can't believe i have to do this

here's alex burrows, who started playing in the QMJHL when he was 19 and peaked when he was 20 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=55145

here's denis shvidki, taken at 12th overall in 1999 (burrows' draft year, same position as ryan murphy) http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=34005

more names: alexandre daigle, jeff heerema, rico fata, daniel tkaczuk

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:57 AM
  #61
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 10,480
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya because Murphy=Klefbom...
Agreed, Klefbom was drafted by a solid Canadian team with oh so much history and tradition. It instantly makes him better.

Ryan Murphy is forever cursed to live and die in a market that doesn't even deserve a team and will never amount to anything because of it. He's also bad because he single handidly caused Canada to lose to two better teams.

If only he were lucky enough to be born in Ohio, Texas or Nebraska.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:43 AM
  #62
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,390
vCash: 500
Haven't seen anything in Murphy to indicate his transition to the pro game will be any easier than Ryan Ellis' has been.

Any team acquiring Murphy now is probably going to have to wait at least 2 full seasons, probably more like 3 or 4 before he's making a significant contribution on the NHL level. And that's if he realizes his potential.

Given the timeline involved, a team would be stupid to make an offer for Murphy commensurate with his draft position, and at the same time, the 'Canes would be stupid to accept any offer that wasn't.

Basically, there isn't any room for a deal here.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:56 AM
  #63
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Agreed, Klefbom was drafted by a solid Canadian team with oh so much history and tradition. It instantly makes him better.

Ryan Murphy is forever cursed to live and die in a market that doesn't even deserve a team and will never amount to anything because of it. He's also bad because he single handidly caused Canada to lose to two better teams.

If only he were lucky enough to be born in Ohio, Texas or Nebraska.
I am a big fan of Murphy. But at this point you would not get Klefbom for him. Before he was hurt Klefbom was playing lights out in the SEL. His stock has risen not because he is an Oiler prospect but rather because of how he has played. The big factor here being that his game is much more likely to transfer to the next level.

Murphy is exceptionally talented. And while he played great in the latter half of last year and in the playoffs, he has struggled this year. The WJHC's exaggerated the issues he has to deal with in transitioning to the NHL. But there is no question that at this point he looks a lot further away from playing in the league than does Klefbom.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
  #64
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,065
vCash: 500
Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. We'll gladly keep him and won't lose a second of sleep over it.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:29 AM
  #65
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. We'll gladly keep him and won't lose a second of sleep over it.
good call. although, i'm not sure who the other takers would have been.

assuming he makes the team, if nothing else, he'll give you an early jump on the 'stop winnin' for mackinnon campaign.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:06 PM
  #66
jeromeo87
Registered User
 
jeromeo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. We'll gladly keep him and won't lose a second of sleep over it.
Bingo. What's all of this talk about moving him to forward? The guy hasn't even played a second in the NHL yet..lol. I still think Murphy is going to be a stud from the blueline. Can't wait.

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
  #67
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 500
if he was further along something around Murphy for M Staal

Rangers could use a right handed offensive dman

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
  #68
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Because when I watch Murphy play, he reminds me of Marc-Andre Bergeron? Poor defensive play and only has offensive ability (although, after the WJC, that could be debated).

like i can't believe i have to do this
And I obviously disagree. The only thing Bergeron had going for him was speed and a shot (both pretty blistering). He didn't have the hockey sense to take advantage of either.

Murphy actually has the vision and hockey sense (both of which are off the charts) to take advantage of the tool's God/Satan gave him, unlike Bergeron.

The only thing that is remotely comparable is their frame. But we could keep debating this until the end of time (or until Murphy wins a Norris and/or busts spectacularly).

P.S. When you say "watch Murphy play", are you talking about the WJC or his campaign in the OHL?


Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
here's alex burrows, who started playing in the QMJHL when he was 19 and peaked when he was 20 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=55145

here's denis shvidki, taken at 12th overall in 1999 (burrows' draft year, same position as ryan murphy) http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=34005

more names: alexandre daigle, jeff heerema, rico fata, daniel tkaczuk
Posting several names that I can't pronounce does not change the blatant overall trend.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  #69
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 13,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
good call. although, i'm not sure who the other takers would have been.

assuming he makes the team, if nothing else, he'll give you an early jump on the 'stop winnin' for mackinnon campaign.
Might as well use Rielly for the same thing....

...Wait, you probably don't have to.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  #70
The Chiddler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
if he was further along something around Murphy for M Staal

Rangers could use a right handed offensive dman
????? He'd have to be muuuch further along for anything like that to make any sense.

There are definitely a lot of troll comments in here bashing murphy which aren't really deserved, but not every Canadian in here is trolling. I think it's perfectly understandable that some people think his game won't transition well from junior to pros, but that doesn't mean there's absolutely no chance that it does.

I feel for you Canes fans I really do, a lot of people have blind hatred for most of the prospects on my team. For instance it's definitely not just Leafs fans in here bashing Murphy but I've seen plenty of Rielly bashing for no good reason.

To the person who said it's because he's a Cane's prospect and we dont think they should have a team, I think the Carolina Hurricanes are one of the southern teams I have the most respect for, especially after 2002 and having so many ex canes come to the Leafs and talk about how great the Canes fans were. (Jeff O'Neil, Ron Francis)

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
  #71
The Chiddler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Might as well use Rielly for the same thing....

...Wait, you probably don't have to.
Is there a reason you have to do this?

Most people in this thread bashing Murphy aren't Leaf fans, and I'm fairly sure the person you're replying to isn't either. Not everyone that lives in Toronto is a Leaf fan you know.

At least you seemed to be bashing the Leafs and not Rielly. Bashing Rielly while defending Murphy would be a lot like throwing rocks in a glass house.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
  #72
Happy Fan
one big happy family
 
Happy Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Seems our wires are getting crossed.

I think Colborne sucks ass. Must be dealt immediately.
While I think Colborne has average potential, I wouldn't say he sucks ass. Though I do agree I'd trade him but not for Murphy. Probably part of a package.

Happy Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
  #73
Obi Wan LaRosie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I didnt get to watch much of any of the games (because they were on at 4 am), but he did have 3 or 4 points in the bronze medal game.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  #74
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Agreed, Klefbom was drafted by a solid Canadian team with oh so much history and tradition. It instantly makes him better.

Ryan Murphy is forever cursed to live and die in a market that doesn't even deserve a team and will never amount to anything because of it. He's also bad because he single handidly caused Canada to lose to two better teams.

If only he were lucky enough to be born in Ohio, Texas or Nebraska.
Uh, it might have something to do with Klefbom being named a tournament all star playing for a gold medal winning team last year (Murphy didn't even make Team Canada), coupled with the fact he was going to be their team captain this year, plus the fact he was excelling in a men's league as a 19yr old prior to season ending shoulder surgery. Then you add that he is just as good a skater but has size and physicality to go with it, and yes, I think the two switch draft positions if there is a 2011 redo.

But yes, it's probably the points you brought up.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  #75
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
But he solely cost Canada the Bronze medal.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.