HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
partial is better than completely torn.
Is it? Is the surgery less invasive/recovery time quicker than a clean tear?

Old
01-07-2013, 05:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This is such a ******** non issue that the media is spinning out of control, its ridiculous.
Oh it's absolutely an issue. The media is missing the point, but the issue to hitch the wagon to RGIII was wrong.

He clearly had nothing to after after the 2nd touchdown pass (a play or two after the run that he got shook up on). All we needed to win at the point was 3-6 points, a few drives to eat some clock, and no turnovers. Cousins was the better choice.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
based on the partial ligament tears i had in an ankle, yes....but i am not a doc. just a subject of one

Old
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
drewtang*

Quote:
Oh it's absolutely an issue. The media is missing the point, but the issue to hitch the wagon to RGIII was wrong.

He clearly had nothing to after after the 2nd touchdown pass (a play or two after the run that he got shook up on). All we needed to win at the point was 3-6 points, a few drives to eat some clock, and no turnovers. Cousins was the better choice.
this is correct

Old
01-07-2013, 06:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
yeah only 2 tears!

I was preparing myself for 3 to be honest.

I have to assume a partial tear is better UNLESS the remaining ligament is like a potato chip and can be rebuilt stronger if torn, somehow. Think Bionics.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
MoJoSauce

Now I know I am not an orthopedic surgeon, but I spent a lot of time in Orthopedic offices when I tore my ACL at 14. Saw the skins team doctor, as well as Wizards/Caps doctor (ran into Antwaan Jamison several times in the office).

There is no such thing as a partial ACL tear. Its either torn or its not. Ligaments are avascular, they don't magically heal without a surgical repair. You can stabalize the ligament with therapy through muscle strengthening but that partial nick wont go away.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Now I know I am not an orthopedic surgeon, but I spent a lot of time in Orthopedic offices when I tore my ACL at 14. Saw the skins team doctor, as well as Wizards/Caps doctor (ran into Antwaan Jamison several times in the office).

There is no such thing as a partial ACL tear. Its either torn or its not. Ligaments are avascular, they don't magically heal without a surgical repair. You can stabalize the ligament with therapy through muscle strengthening but that partial nick wont go away.
That's not true at all. It's not a full tear unless it's in two pieces. Otherwise, it's a partial tear.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That's not true at all. It's not a full tear unless it's in two pieces. Otherwise, it's a partial tear.
Fair point, a partial tear could range anywhere from 10% to 90% torn. Doesn't mean that knee will be stable, or that it will be as stable/more stable without surgery.

I think RG3 is in some trouble. Was this the same knee that was injured, or the opposite one?

Old
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Fair point, a partial tear could range anywhere from 10% to 90% torn. Doesn't mean that knee will be stable, or that it will be as stable/more stable without surgery.

I think RG3 is in some trouble. Was this the same knee that was injured, or the opposite one?
Same knee, which obviously isn't good.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

think positive.

AP tore his ACL last year in the final game at Fedex (go figure) had Dr Andrews do the surgery and rehab and went on to have a record setting season.

RG3 would be 1 week behind AP is recovery. He could still be ready by week 1 if follows the AP recovery plan

Old
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, certainly. I partially tore my ACL and they went in arthroscopically and trimmed it up and I went through 3 months of rehab to build it back up. 3 nice little holes that were healed up after a few weeks. A tear is transplant of a cadaver ligament I think.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Get shanny!

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Yes, certainly. I partially tore my ACL and they went in arthroscopically and trimmed it up and I went through 3 months of rehab to build it back up. 3 nice little holes that were healed up after a few weeks. A tear is transplant of a cadaver ligament I think.
Thats 1 option for the ACL surgery

1)Cadaver- possibility of being rejected, believe its the quickest recovery time but also has a tendency to not last very long.

2) Patellae tendon transplant- I had this done, they take a portion of your knee cap and a small chunk of bone and put it back in. I believe this has the strongest likeness to the ACL, but takes a bit longer to rehab.

3)Hamstring - no bone required to be taken, but I recall this graft having a tendency to stretch, which would require more surgery to repair the ACL. A loose ACL is essentially a torn ACL

Old
01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Isn't Randyholt a nurse? Come on......give us the prognosis.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the post reports that mark adeckes did the surgery. he was a former redskins offensive lineman. how do your hands servive a career as an nfl lineman enough to allow you to become a surgeon after?
Just saw this. That's a really cool piece of trivia.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yes, not true. I partially tore my ACL in my left year close to 4 years ago on a job site. Hurt like a ***** and swole up on me something fierce. Got an MRI and the Doc said a partial tear. All I saw were 3-4 little hair like things coming off the ligament. Didn't look like a big deal to me, and it wasn't. Did a month and a half rehab to build my leg muscles back up since I was on crutches for a couple weeks after initally hurt it. Was told I would need surgery at some point, but I should hold off as long as possible. So I have.

Last edited by WetHog: 01-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

Get shanny!
Good old Czabe on 980 is trying to get a lynch mob up on Shanahan for what happened to Griffin. Czabe's show on 980 even had one of ESPN's knee experts on, can't remember his name but he studied with Dr. Andrews for a year, and that Dr. said Griffin's injury at the end of the game was not a result of Griffin tweaking his LCL injury in the 1st quarter. Just a tough break. Didn't matter to Czabe though.

Ultimatey, **** happens. People get hurt playing football.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Yeah, **** happens. But this was amazingly avoidable **** that Shanahan is to blame for. We aren't talking about a sudden fluke injury out of the blue here. We're talking about a reaggravation of a current injury followed by a worsening a few quarters later in the same game after the player hobbled around the field uselessly. It was clear he needed to be pulled very, very early. It was clear he was a detriment to the team in his condition, and only bad could come from playing him further...in the form of a loss, or injury, or both.

01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Yes, not true. I partially tore my ACL in my left year close to 4 years ago on a job site. Hurt like a ***** and swole up on me something fierce. Got an MRI and the Doc said a partial tear. All I saw were 3-4 little hair like things coming off the ligament. Didn't look like a big deal to me, and it wasn't. Did a month and a half rehab to build my leg muscles back up since I was on crutches for a couple weeks after initally hurt it. Was told I would need surgery at some point, but I should hold off as long as possible. So I have.
Man ACLs are weird. When I tore mine, complete tear, no pain at all. I did have a lot of swelling immediately afterwords which was followed by complete muscle breakdown in my quad. Rehabed for 9 months, had surgery, rehabbed again for 8 afterwords.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

How the hell are all of you destroying your knees? I'm a reasonably active person and the worst I've ever done is a minor foot fracture at the gym (and that was pure stupidity).

Old
01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
How the hell are all of you destroying your knees? I'm a reasonably active person and the worst I've ever done is a minor foot fracture at the gym (and that was pure stupidity).
Knees are really complicated and a lot can go wrong in a lot of different ways, I guess. I've had issues with my right knee for close to a decade because of a hip flexor problem I developed in high school. It's never gone away.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm the same. Never actually been in the hospital as a patient (well, other than at my birth).

I do know some people, however, that seem to break, pull, or tear one part or another once a year.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Highschool lacrosse, jockeying for a ground ball going to the end line. Ball stopped right before the line, I went to stop, as well as hit the guy beside me. Apparently your knee doesn't like making 3 motions at once. I feel down and tried to make it to the box to sub, looked like one of those gazelles being eaten and chased down by a lion

Old
01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Recently retired Dr. Haas?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Recently retired Dr. Haas?
That would be him. Had another Dr. in the group as well do my surgery, but Haas was the consult on everything about my knee. Also I think 6 orthopedic residents about to graduate, since my ACL surgery was fairly unique

Closed Thread