HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky trying to void trade to Isles - UPDATE: More Drama (post #510)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Either way, the Islanders will lose out, because they will either get a disinterested viz or no viz and they lose a 2nd rounder in the process.

Me thinks Snow might try to trade for another dman if viz ultimately does not report.
If Viz doesn't report and plays in the KHL, I can't see how the Isles would not get a compensatory pick (right after LA uses the Isles' pick?).

If Viz doesn't report and does not play in the KHL, not sure how that would play out.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If Viz doesn't report and plays in the KHL, I can't see how the Isles would not get a compensatory pick (right after LA uses the Isles' pick?).

If Viz doesn't report and does not play in the KHL, not sure how that would play out.
How would the NHL rationalize that though?

Old
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Sideshow Bob

We are not going to get a compensatory pick. Bad enough we will have a big hole on defense, but we are out a 2nd round pick as a trade asset. thn there are salry floor issues. I wonder if theres any chance the league gives isles a waiver and allows them to go under floor without vis contract.

I also wonder if this would prevent isles from buying out DP, as they will need his contract to reach floor.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
We are not going to get a compensatory pick. Bad enough we will have a big hole on defense, but we are out a 2nd round pick as a trade asset. thn there are salry floor issues. I wonder if theres any chance the league gives isles a waiver and allows them to go under floor without vis contract.

I also wonder if this would prevent isles from buying out DP, as they will need his contract to reach floor.
I might be wrong. But I was under the impression that the buyout options aren't available for this season, and teams need to wait till next year to buy out players.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:

I thought Visnovsky's contract would count against the cap similar to the Tim Thomas contract counting for the Bruins. I could be wrong though, but it makes sense.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
We are not going to get a compensatory pick.
Yeah, I don't see that happening. In fact, the idea of it seems ludicrous.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Bexlyspeed

what a *****, he really could have made a big contribution to the isles, but if he doesn't want to play for us that bad then good riddance. only problem is its probably too late to get anyone else with his experience for this season

Old
01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
At this point, let him alone. If I am Snowy, I just go ahead and look for another d-man. The part of this that really blows is that we lost a high pick for him.

Streit, Carkner, MacDonald and Hamonic are the guys we go in with right now. We clearly need another player assuming from this point forward Viz is gone.

Is there a vet who may be able to play a half a season who was left un-signed as a stop gap. Lets face it, we aren't dealing for Subban...

I am not terribly enamored with the idea of going with playing both Donovan and Ness. Having another vet would really help... obviously.
If I'm Snow, I try to legally block Vis from playing ANYWHERE other then LI, while the NHL season is being played. Petty? Heh.Maybe.

Then I bring ina stop gap like Campoli for the 48 game season.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Newsday's latest.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter
But the Islanders and the NHL don't plan on allowing that to happen. With just a few days until the new collective bargaining agreement is set to be ratified and training camps open before a 48-game regular season, the international incident could hurt the Isles' preparations

Old
01-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I don't think he knew he would do this even 36 hours ago, let alone planned it half a year ago.
All the evidence seems to point to the contrary. It appears that ever since the trade went down, he's been trying to get out of it. He filed a grievance to have the trade nullified. This was in June. Many Isles fans rationalized it at the time as due to some sort of NHLPA pressure... does anyone really think that now? It seems to me that this is all about Viz simply not wanting to play for the Isles.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
All the evidence seems to point to the contrary. It appears that ever since the trade went down, he's been trying to get out of it. He filed a grievance to have the trade nullified. This was in June. Many Isles fans rationalized it at the time as due to some sort of NHLPA pressure... does anyone really think that now? It seems to me that this is all about Viz simply not wanting to play for the Isles.
I still don't think it has much to do with the Isles. I think the guy is purely the perfect example of a selfish, entitled, SOB and everything that messes up the NHL. I still thinks it's nothing to do with the Isles just a stupid, foolish man.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
CDirt

I wish the Isles could nullify this trade. Talk about paying for rotten eggs!!!

I'm not really a fan of allowing Nabakov to play net here after what he pulled. I think allowing him to play set a bad precedent. Not sure how much that decisions plays into this but I'm pretty certain it's had an impact. You just can't allow these kinds of players into the locker room.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Hamonic has already proven to be a 2/3. I think it's reasonable to expect continued development, seeing as he is still only 22 years old. Streit showed a lot of rust last year, but once he found his game late in the season he started looking like pre-injury Streit. He's also going into a contract year(probably his last shot at a somewhat big payday). I suppose you could label MacDonald as a #5 on a "good" team, but he has proven to be a capable 2nd pairing guy before, which is all we'll need him to be.

Then I suppose you'd have Donovan-Carkner as your 3rd pairing, which should be fine assuming Donovan is ready to make the jump(judging by his play this year and last, I expect that to be the case). That leaves one hole on probably the 2nd pairing with MacDonald. Even if that player ends up being mediocre, I still think this defense is far from "paper bag bad."
That's where I disagree with you. Over the course of Streit's Islander career he has had one solid year - his first one with us - and the rest have seen a horrid 1st half followed by a good or above average second half. His inconsistency has been maddening, and he has had more of those inconsistent seasons than consistent one. Plus he is getting old, which for most players means getting worse at his age.

Hamonic I have high hopes for but he isn't there yet. You are really looking at him with your Islander glasses on if you think he is a top pairing player currently. I expect him to make it there with normal development, but he isn't there yet. I'd argue he looked better to you because of our complete lack of physical defensemen.

And now, officially, we have no Vis. Even if the league forces him back and the KHL goes along with it what will we get back? The defensive version of Rolston? So here is our defense:

Streit
Hamonic
MacDonald
Carkner
Rookie/AHL Scrub
Rookie/AHL Scrub

With just one injury we will have a defense composed of 50% rookies & AHL scrubs. If we carry 7 defensemen like a normal club that doesn't waste the 7th spot to keep a useless wounded ego on the bench it will be worse. Imagine, 4 rookies/AHL scrubs on that bench for game day.

Are you scared yet? You should be.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 01-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 01:19 AM
IslesNorway

Vis is a true ******* and could very well turn out to be a really rotten egg in the locker room, so if they do amange to trade him away that would be the best option. Force him to NA and then trade him somewhere he really doesn't wanna be, like Winnipeg!

Old
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
That's where I disagree with you. Over the course of Streit's Islander career he has had one solid year - his first one with us - and the rest have seen a horrid 1st half followed by a good or above average second half. His inconsistency has been maddening, and he has had more of those inconsistent seasons than consistent one. Plus he is getting old, which for most players means getting worse at his age.

Hamonic I have high hopes for but he isn't there yet. You are really looking at him with your Islander glasses on if you think he is a top pairing player currently. I expect him to make it there with normal development, but he isn't there yet. I'd argue he looked better to you because of our complete lack of physical defensemen.

And now, officially, we have no Vis. Even if the league forces him back and the KHL goes along with it what will we get back? The defensive version of Rolston? So here is our defense:

Streit
Hamonic
MacDonald
Carkner
Rookie/AHL Scrub
Rookie/AHL Scrub

With just one injury we will have a defense composed of 50% rookies & AHL scrubs. If we carry 7 defensemen like a normal club that doesn't waste the 7th spot to keep a useless wounded ego on the bench it will be worse. Imagine, 4 rookies/AHL scrubs on that bench for game day.

Are you scared yet? You should be.
Throw in an older goaltender with 48 games in a short period of time who may not be in game shape right now (increased groin and hamstring injury possibility) and losing our 2nd leading scorer in the off season and we are looking at a top 3 draft pick. Anyone even considering trading our first round pick should really reconsider it.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:58 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Throw in an older goaltender with 48 games in a short period of time who may not be in game shape right now (increased groin and hamstring injury possibility) and losing our 2nd leading scorer in the off season and we are looking at a top 3 draft pick. Anyone even considering trading our first round pick should really reconsider it.
Yup, this season is going to be a no-show and I can only hope that one of those studs we get will be a star. Now that the bottom 14!! teams are eligible for the first round pick but still weighted the same lottery wise increases our chance of bad luck.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:29 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
I'd still rather have the pick.

Contract control over a young, hopeful NHL'er >>>>>>>> a shortened season from a malcontent (regardless of why said player is a malcontent.)

If it's truly proximity to family stirring up his issues, being 5,000 miles plus from Slovakia isn't going to help his hockey.
Trade him to Vancouver.

He'll be 8,000 miles from his family then.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:32 AM
patrick

Heard this on XM NHL Radio today.

Possible that Viz will sit out the year in hopes that Isles toll his contract. This way he plays next year and gets paid the entire $3 million left on his deal. If he plays this year his salary is prorated due to lockout. Isles would probably love this as they could use his $5.6m cap hit against the cap floor this year and next and it would only cost them $3m for $11.2m cap padding.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:39 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Heard this on XM NHL Radio today.

Possible that Viz will sit out the year in hopes that Isles toll his contract. This way he plays next year and gets paid the entire $3 million left on his deal. If he plays this year his salary is prorated due to lockout. Isles would probably love this as they could use his $5.6m cap hit against the cap floor this year and next and it would only cost them $3m for $11.2m cap padding.
I dont know. You cant keep operating your team looking to just get to the floor. That will perpetuate the poor image of the team around the league and you wont be able to attract players, and the cycle goes on and on.

I would like to see the Isles sue Visnovsky, if it were possible. Could be a whole nhlpa mess I suppose, but that is the proper course of action imo. Either he comes to camp or retires, which doesnt help you guys I suppose, other than helping you get to the floor without having to pay out actual dollars.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:51 AM
OlTimeHockey

How about the NHL steps in and demands a top two KHL defenseman be sent back as compensation?

Snow picks any guy who is not bound by NHL contract and the KHL must forfeit him to the NHL as Islander property?

"Tough luck kid, you're going to the Islanders."

Something dreaded in 138 languages and dialects across the globe.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:53 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont know. You cant keep operating your team looking to just get to the floor. That will perpetuate the poor image of the team around the league and you wont be able to attract players, and the cycle goes on and on.

I would like to see the Isles sue Visnovsky, if it were possible. Could be a whole nhlpa mess I suppose, but that is the proper course of action imo. Either he comes to camp or retires, which doesnt help you guys I suppose, other than helping you get to the floor without having to pay out actual dollars.
Viz will just blame Corey and Trevor.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:01 AM
burana800

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tion-1.4418099

Old
01-08-2013, 04:15 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
You don't go well with Russians do you, Yashin, Nabby, Vis..

It's alright though, Carkner will more than make up for it.
Vis is not a Russian, he is a Slovak. And Nabokov is from Kazakhstan

Old
01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

What the **** ever happened to "being a man" and conducting yourself as a mature adult?

All this cry-baby has done is kick and scream since being traded to the Isles, and it's a slap in the face to me as a fan. His actions should offend anyone who considers themselves a fan of this team.

Seriously, the guy can't report for 48 games and, after that, both parties can be done with each other? He has to go through the trouble of filing a grievance, and then when that doesn't work, he just refuses to report. And because of his unprofessional antics, we lose him on the blueline AND our second-round pick? How is this fair?

He's LEGALLY obligated to the New York Islanders of the NHL. Enforce the *** damn contract.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:07 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
What the **** ever happened to "being a man" and conducting yourself as a mature adult?

All this cry-baby has done is kick and scream since being traded to the Isles, and it's a slap in the face to me as a fan. His actions should offend anyone who considers themselves a fan of this team.

Seriously, the guy can't report for 48 games and, after that, both parties can be done with each other? He has to go through the trouble of filing a grievance, and then when that doesn't work, he just refuses to report. And because of his unprofessional antics, we lose him on the blueline AND our second-round pick? How is this fair?

He's LEGALLY obligated to the New York Islanders of the NHL. Enforce the *** damn contract.
My thoughts exactly. I'm tired of being dicked around by players that don't want to report to the NHL (especially the Islanders). Enforce the contract or don't play hockey anywhere (NHL, KHL, etc.). There is no way that the NHL or the Islanders can let this slide. All parties have to realize that a contract has to be abided by and honored to it's completion. Otherwise no more hockey...in any form whatsoever.

Closed Thread