HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amnesty buyouts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  #76
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
For all those that believe Briere is still clutch in the playoffs:

2009 Games played 6, points 4, -1
2010 Games played 23, points 30, +9
2011 Games played 11, points 9, -7
2012 Games played 11, points 13, -6 and that was largely due to the insanity in the Pittsburgh series. It's time to face facts, he is not as clutch as he was. He did well in 2011 mostly because of the series against Buffalo, his old team. His defensive play without Leino and Hartnell has been badly exposed, and last season it was hard fitting him in with anyone. You can't play him as a 3rd or 4th line centre because of his defensive play but you can't put him as a 1st or 2nd line centre either. He doesn't like playing RW so that's another issue. Cut him and his big cap hit loose this summer.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
  #77
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
For all those that believe Briere is still clutch in the playoffs:

2009 Games played 6, points 4, -1
2010 Games played 23, points 30, +9
2011 Games played 11, points 9, -7
2012 Games played 11, points 13, -6 and that was largely due to the insanity in the Pittsburgh series. It's time to face facts, he is not as clutch as he was. He did well in 2011 mostly because of the series against Buffalo, his old team. His defensive play without Leino and Hartnell has been badly exposed, and last season it was hard fitting him in with anyone. You can't play him as a 3rd or 4th line centre because of his defensive play but you can't put him as a 1st or 2nd line centre either. He doesn't like playing RW so that's another issue. Cut him and his big cap hit loose this summer.
I disagree with your opinion of Briere (shouldn't clutch be defined with specific, contextual examples of goals, not a +/- stat?), but agree that he should be bought out. It makes too much sense to buy him out.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:57 PM
  #78
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I disagree with your opinion of Briere (shouldn't clutch be defined with specific, contextual examples of goals, not a +/- stat?), but agree that he should be bought out. It makes too much sense to buy him out.
The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:05 PM
  #79
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.
Wasn't every player on the ice terrible in the Devils and Bruins series? I still agree that he needs to be bought out, and it's because the team can't afford a 6.5mill cap hit for a one dimensional player that has a history of playing well in the postseason (you gotta get there first).

Briere seems like a good guy, on and off the ice, and I'd hate to see him go. So little is left of our recent cup run, it makes it feel like it was a decade ago.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:22 PM
  #80
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Wasn't every player on the ice terrible in the Devils and Bruins series? I still agree that he needs to be bought out, and it's because the team can't afford a 6.5mill cap hit for a one dimensional player that has a history of playing well in the postseason (you gotta get there first).

Briere seems like a good guy, on and off the ice, and I'd hate to see him go. So little is left of our recent cup run, it makes it feel like it was a decade ago.
Dont worry, he's more likely to be named the next C then bought out

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
  #81
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Dont worry, he's more likely to be named the next C then bought out
I hope that's not true

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
  #82
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
if buying out Briere means signing Corey Perry, i say do it. But if you have no intentions of targeting Perry, then i'd like to keep Briere.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
  #83
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
And yet those are the 2 best playoff series I can recall in recent memory? He had a knack for scoring when we needed him most.
He had a growth removed from his neck this off season which was the cause of a lot of his problems. He's healthy going into this season.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:20 AM
  #84
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Forgive me if this already been discussed but can a player be immediately resigned to a lower salary after ring bought out? I tried to find a ruling on this but so far haven't been able to find an answer.

If this is allowed than IMO briere should be bought out and then resigned to a 2-3 yr deal at 3 mil per.

I think Bryz should get this year and next to prove he is worth contract, but of not he should be bought out after next season...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
  #85
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
Forgive me if this already been discussed but can a player be immediately resigned to a lower salary after ring bought out? I tried to find a ruling on this but so far haven't been able to find an answer.

If this is allowed than IMO briere should be bought out and then resigned to a 2-3 yr deal at 3 mil per.

I think Bryz should get this year and next to prove he is worth contract, but of not he should be bought out after next season...
You are not allowed to re-sign a player you use the compliance buyout on.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
  #86
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The point is he is atrocious defensively and unless he has guys like Hartnell and Leino to pick up the slack, he's a liability, and I agree that =/- isn't a great stat but I do think it's telling in his case.

I keep seeing people go on about how clutch he is in the playoffs but he hasn't made much of an impact the past 2 years. He's declining, he takes stupid penalties, he doesn't score much during the regular season and there is no real place for him in the lineup. You can't put him and Giroux on the same line because they are both bad defensively and because he's so bad defensively he can't be put on the 3rd or 4th line. Basically, he's been getting rewarded all these years because he sucks at D and that was all well and good when he was putting up points but he needs more support than the average forward.

Last year against the Devils he had 2 goals in the first game and 1 assist in game 5 with nothing in between. The year before against Boston he had 1 goal and 1 assist. It shows that every time the Flyers play against a team that has decent defence, he is a liability. Add to that with his age, salary and NTC and he needs to go.
absolutely agree 100%

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
  #87
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
if buying out Briere means signing Corey Perry, i say do it. But if you have no intentions of targeting Perry, then i'd like to keep Briere.
I don't think he's getting bought out unless the Flyers want to **** their salary cap up for the next 2 seasons (following the link Invictus provided):


TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

Danny Briere buyout from CapGeek.com
◦ 2013-14: $4,333,333
◦ 2014-15: $5,333,333
◦ 2015-16: $833,333
◦ 2016-17: $833,333

Assuming they can save it for 2 summers, like I think I saw someone else suggest, they still get hit with a $5 million cap hit in 14/15.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
  #88
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I don't think he's getting bought out unless the Flyers want to **** their salary cap up for the next 2 seasons (following the link Invictus provided):


TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

Danny Briere buyout from CapGeek.com
◦ 2013-14: $4,333,333
◦ 2014-15: $5,333,333
◦ 2015-16: $833,333
◦ 2016-17: $833,333

Assuming they can save it for 2 summers, like I think I saw someone else suggest, they still get hit with a $5 million cap hit in 14/15.
They get out of the cap hits with these two buyouts.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
  #89
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
They get out of the cap hits with these two buyouts.
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

I guess I missed something then? I interpretted those numbers to be the cap hit the Flyers still take on after buyout.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
  #90
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

I guess I missed something then? I interpretted those numbers to be the cap hit the Flyers still take on after buyout.
Compliance buyout, not regular buyout. Different rules.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
  #91
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

I guess I missed something then? I interpretted those numbers to be the cap hit the Flyers still take on after buyout.
The Flyers will still owe Briere that money but it doesn't effect the salary cap. The point of the buyouts is to allow the teams to cut salary for the upcoming dip in the cap.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
  #92
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
The Flyers will still owe Briere that money but it doesn't effect the salary cap. The point of the buyouts is to allow the teams to cut salary for the upcoming dip in the cap.
Are you 100% sure they get it off the cap?

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work
When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

Thats what capgeek says for the new CBA rule. If you dont take any cap hit bryzgalov is gone and so is briere without even a second thought.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
  #93
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Are you 100% sure they get it off the cap?

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work
When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

Thats what capgeek says for the new CBA rule. If you dont take any cap hit bryzgalov is gone and so is briere without even a second thought.
Yup, that's the point of the Compliance buyout, the NHL doesn't want to call it an "amnesty" buyout. Basically what the NBA did last year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1648--nhl.html

Not the best article to show that it completely takes the hit off the books but it's there.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
  #94
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,895
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Are you 100% sure they get it off the cap?

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work
When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

Thats what capgeek says for the new CBA rule. If you dont take any cap hit bryzgalov is gone and so is briere without even a second thought.
capgeek buyouts are for regular buyouts, not amnesty buyouts. Briere will still get paid the same way he would if it was a regular buyout (2/3rd what is left, spread out over double the years left), however it doesn't count against the cap

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
  #95
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Yup, that's the point of the Compliance buyout, the NHL doesn't want to call it an "amnesty" buyout. Basically what the NBA did last year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1648--nhl.html

Not the best article to show that it completely takes the hit off the books but it's there.
Well, Bryz and Briere are done then. Flyers have 43 mil (including pronger) in cap hits the season Giroux, Couts, and Schenn are FA's. you drop Bryz and Briere you resign all your guys plus have money to go FA shopping.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
  #96
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,895
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Well, Bryz and Briere are done then. Flyers have 43 mil (including pronger) in cap hits the season Giroux, Couts, and Schenn are FA's. you drop Bryz and Briere you resign all your guys plus have money to go FA shopping.
and we replace Bryz with......?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  #97
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and we replace Bryz with......?
Roster productivity and future cap flexibility are not the same thing.

If the amnesty buyouts lasted forever this is a concern you can worry about.

If we don't jettison bryz now (during buyout period), not only do we risk losing a forward we don't want to lose, but also the cap space to get another good goalie should one become available.

Short term roster loss, long term gain.

If bryz had 2 yrs left, this is a non issue...but he has 7!

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
  #98
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and we replace Bryz with......?
Well we won't know for sure who is available. But with his cap hit with his play from last season makes it too easy of a decision. Do you really think they Flyers cant replace Bryz much cheaper than what he was this past season?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
  #99
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and we replace Bryz with......?
Niklas Backstorm is a UFA in the summer. He's my choice.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
  #100
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and we replace Bryz with......?
Flyers can evaluate Bryz 1.5 seasons before they make the decision on a compliance buyout. I'm sure something will shake out by then. But, even if Bryz plays incredible, his contract is too long.

IMO, you ride Bryz until a suitable option becomes available or you have to use a compliance buyout, whichever comes first.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.