*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Keep in mind guys that the Colts are hoping to host next year's Memorial Cup, so they want to ensure they are still a strong team next season and have pieces they can move.
I agree that next year has been the target all along, I'm just not sure if that's changed now that they are at the top of the heap this year. As for the Memorial Cup, I think that's a bit of a pipe dream:

a) Our rink simply isn't big enough anymore. We had our chance a decade ago, unfortunately at that point we didn't have enough hotels.
b) It was in the East last time, I bet Branch goes back to the West (he does 2/3 of the time).

Also, I don't think anybody they move this season would be a major contributor on a Memorial Cup team next season. Monahan would be an awesome addition, but he's going to be COSTLY, and if he didn't come back? OUCH.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Johnsb

I would think this is the year for them. Looking at loosing Scheif, Camara, OC, Niederberger, Beyers next year. That's a lot of top guys to make up. Not sure that can happen.

This is the year.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:44 AM
HCampbell

After watching the game yesterday in Erie, we just lost 4 points to the worst team in the west and if you look at it, this is virtually the team next year minus Niederberger and beyers and oc. So does Barrie really think that they have a shot to go for it next year? Well they probably should since they have Fawcett and Webster as our go to guys

Imo Barrie should really look to do something this year because they have the talent. I don't think Barrie will have a top 10 pick in the NHL draft soon and a good supporting cast with it. I guess Ekblad will be but I don't think a pretty good D will lead a team to the memorial cup. I don't think that Winnipeg will take Scheifele if the lock out ends (They are really focused on his development). They at least need another steady defenceman and a top 6 forward if they want to compete this year. I am thinking either Koekkoek, Sproul, Carrado or Ceci for D and like a Brett Ritchie or I heard that Koklochev is coming back to Windsor and we have an open import spot. Although I don't know how Barrie and Windsor stand with each other.

Last edited by HCampbell: 01-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 05:52 AM
SimonKnightsman

Since Williamson went to Niagara your probably ok with deals now. Even Windsor sent Marty guys last winter so no big prob now. Going back a few years they were mad with the Kerby pick.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Acad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
I would think this is the year for them. Looking at loosing Scheif, Camara, OC, Niederberger, Beyers next year. That's a lot of top guys to make up. Not sure that can happen.

This is the year.
What about Barrie making a trade for Ryan Murphy to load up for this year.

Yes it would be expensive but I could see it paying off huge.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:27 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCampbell View Post
After watching the game yesterday in Erie, we just lost 4 points to the worst team in the west and if you look at it, this is virtually the team next year minus Niederberger and beyers and oc. So does Barrie really think that they have a shot to go for it next year?
It's not great, but it's not like this is the current team. Camara, Scheifele, Ekblad, Lepkowski and Lemieux are all missing. Fotinos outplayed Niederberger when he got the chance to play last year. If he hadn't got concussed, he may have never given up the job. There are other young players coming up, and you expect development out of Perlini, Garcia, Lemieux etc. I think they're positioned just fine for next year.

Quote:
Imo Barrie should really look to do something this year because they have the talent. I don't think Barrie will have a top 10 pick in the NHL draft soon and a good supporting cast with it. I guess Ekblad will be but I don't think a pretty good D will lead a team to the memorial cup.
Yes, Ekblad will be a top 10 pick. Having said that, what does that really matter? Top 10 NHL picks aren't synonymous with making it to the Memorial Cup. The Colts have made the playoffs perenially because they take the players who will be the best OHL players, not the best NHL players.

Quote:
They at least need another steady defenceman and a top 6 forward if they want to compete this year. I am thinking either Koekkoek, Sproul, Carrado or Ceci for D and like a Brett Ritchie or I heard that Koklochev is coming back to Windsor and we have an open import spot. Although I don't know how Barrie and Windsor stand with each other.
I think they will go after one of the players you mention, but I don't think it's at the cost of next year. They will have no problem dealing with Windsor if that is where a deal is to be made. They have already made deals since the 2010 final and Kerby Rychel draft.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:21 AM
HCampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post

If you watched this morning's game i don't know if I would want to trade for Murphy. Very big liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
It's not great, but it's not like this is the current team. Camara, Scheifele, Ekblad, Lepkowski and Lemieux are all missing. Fotinos outplayed Niederberger when he got the chance to play last year. If he hadn't got concussed, he may have never given up the job. There are other young players coming up, and you expect development out of Perlini, Garcia, Lemieux etc. I think they're positioned just fine for next year.
I am just saying that could a team compete with having Hall, Fawcett and Athenasiou as our number 1 top line next year compared to what Barrie could have this year?

Old
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post

He would be third on my list after Ceci and Keokkeok. Not because he less talented than the two, but because of the relative cost and in Keokkeok's case because he would be back.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I am just saying that could a team compete with having Hall, Fawcett and Athenasiou as our number 1 top line next year compared to what Barrie could have this year?
With his recently play it seems unlikely, but Camara could be back (I think we get a conditional pick if he doesn't, but I could be wrong). Camara, Hall, Anthanasiou would be a fine top line. Also, there is still the summer, good sir. Remember in 2009-2010, 2/3 (Cameron and Pither) of the top line was acquired over the break, for a total of nearly 100 goals. They got those two gentlemen with an assortment of 2nd rounders, which they conveniently have an abundance of right now...

Ekblad and Lepkowski (when healthy) would make an imposing top pairing. Neiderberger's departure will leave them with two import spots to fill. The Colts have had relative success in bringing over their import picks.

All this to say that are quite a few things to fall into place next year. Sure, go for it this year and I'm o.k. with them parting with significant pieces. I just think that next year is still definitely the target. Somebody who can upgrade this year and contribute next would be ideal (Keokkoek?).

Old
01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Since Scheifele is most likely off to Winnipeg for the rest of the season with the lockout over should the colts go after a top centre to replace him. Hopefully for us he will be back. A big potential loss.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Since Scheifele is most likely off to Winnipeg for the rest of the season with the lockout over should the colts go after a top centre to replace him. Hopefully for us he will be back. A big potential loss.
The good thing for the Colts is that there is at least a relationship with Winnipeg. Between the number of players we have there, and the Hawerchuk connection, hopefully they can get an estimation of what's going to happen. They may not want to burn an entry year on a shortened season.

If he does go to Winnipeg, I hope the Colts go the other way. 2013-14 was the original plan, stick to it. They needed to beef up WITH Mark because it was a risk going up against the Knights anyway. Without him, they need at least a couple of pieces. Only option to trade for this year would require two year players coming back. If they decide to go for next year there are pieces to be moved to make next year's team a juggernaught. Start with the overagers and Camara.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 PM
HCampbell

Do you think that they should trade Scheifele?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:50 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Do you think that they should trade Scheifele?
No. There isn't any point in it. Nobody will pay what anywhere near what he's worth when he's in Jets camp. They might be able to get 3-4 2nd rounders conditional on his return, but if he does return I'd rather have him. At this point let's have him finish his career as a lifetime Colt, if nothing else.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:33 AM
LeafsColts13

Love how the NHL is leaving junior teams in limbo with their star players. Haven't even missed it watching the Colts this year. Hopefully Scheifele is back and on the Jets board think unless he is spectacular, he will be back in Barrie.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Love how the NHL is leaving junior teams in limbo with their star players. Haven't even missed it watching the Colts this year. Hopefully Scheifele is back and on the Jets board think unless he is spectacular, he will be back in Barrie.
I agree - I bought my Colts season tickets after the last lockout, and been to one NHL game since (watched on TV, but in a gate driven league trying to hit them in the pocketbook). Plus the value is so much better in the OHL. The one game I did take my boys to cost $185 a ticket - a pulled pork sandwich, two hotogs, a beer and two coca-colas later I was out nearly $1,000 (almost as much as a full season of the Colts). The kicker was I was bringing them to see Bryan Little and the Thrashers. He got sent down before the game, and got called up the following day after they traded away Hossa on the deadline... The net result was watching a boring mid winter 3-1 loss by the second from last Toronto Maple Leafs against the 4th from last Atlanta Thrashers.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
DEVSTER

Apparantly, a deal was in place to move Sudbury forward Josh Leivo to Barrie last week. Unfortunately enough, the Barrie player that was included in the deal did not want to report to Sudbury.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I agree - I bought my Colts season tickets after the last lockout, and been to one NHL game since (watched on TV, but in a gate driven league trying to hit them in the pocketbook). Plus the value is so much better in the OHL. The one game I did take my boys to cost $185 a ticket - a pulled pork sandwich, two hotogs, a beer and two coca-colas later I was out nearly $1,000 (almost as much as a full season of the Colts). The kicker was I was bringing them to see Bryan Little and the Thrashers. He got sent down before the game, and got called up the following day after they traded away Hossa on the deadline... The net result was watching a boring mid winter 3-1 loss by the second from last Toronto Maple Leafs against the 4th from last Atlanta Thrashers.
Its a joke isnt it? U forgot to mention the $30 dollar parking. Bottle of water is $4.00. One beer $13.00 for a king can. The burke dog house, what a cash grab gimmick. Leafs are built on corporate support. Those tickets are bought by these huge companies and tickets are given away for free to the employee's. This makes for fans in suits who talk business, eat sushi in the lower bowl and miss the first 5 mins of every period and gone mid way through the third. Leaf game atmosphere is prettty bad. Bunch of bandwagon jumpers. But they surely make $$$$$. Maple Leaf Gardens was a true atmosphere.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Its a joke isnt it? U forgot to mention the $30 dollar parking. Bottle of water is $4.00. One beer $13.00 for a king can. The burke dog house, what a cash grab gimmick. Leafs are built on corporate support. Those tickets are bought by these huge companies and tickets are given away for free to the employee's. This makes for fans in suits who talk business, eat sushi in the lower bowl and miss the first 5 mins of every period and gone mid way through the third. Leaf game atmosphere is prettty bad. Bunch of bandwagon jumpers. But they surely make $$$$$. Maple Leaf Gardens was a true atmosphere.
I agree the atmosphere is terrible and when you watch the platinum seats empty for half the game while the real fans are outside watching on the screen. The BMC which is no madhouse is a better experience to watch games than the acc. The last game I was at was in the 300 level and I got a steal on tickets at $85 each. Hopefully people continue to support the colts and the OHL as it has been great to see the BMC sold out the last few games.

On the comment about the Leivo trade rumour, it seems Sudbury is having trouble with players reporting as I also heard Corrado was on his way to Owen Sound but the player would not report to the wolves. I think we have a better chance of getting Quine and/or Koekkoek from the petes if they still decide to buy with Scheifele return unlikely.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
The corporate sponsors and people benefiting by the free tickets don't even appreciate how fortunate they are as opposed to families that have to buy 4 full price tickets. I always hear them saying they leave after the second or a couple minutes into the third to beat the traffic post game

Old
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
HCampbell

I am having a feeling Scheifele may not come back if he goes to Jets camp. If he goes to camp and they give him a few games with the club there would really not be a point in sending him back to play 15 more OHL games and than maybe one round of playoffs because it doesn't seem that Barrie is stirring up any big trades. I don't think these 20 extra games will help him develop any further and for that reason I think he will just stay in Winnipeg. And I don't think he would want to come back and play on a mediocore team for his last days in the O. Especially since St. Johns isnt doing too great in the AHL and may not make playoffs so he won't get any games there. He will only get sent back if he does not show at all and has a really bad camp. Imo

Last edited by HCampbell: 01-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I am having a feeling Scheifele may not come back if he goes to Jets camp. If he goes to camp and they give him a few games with the club there would really not be a point in sending him back to play 15 more OHL games and than maybe one round of playoffs because it doesn't seem that Barrie is stirring up any big trades. I don't think these 20 extra games will help him develop any further and for that reason I think he will just stay in Winnipeg. And I don't think he would want to come back and play on a mediocore team for his last days in the O. Especially since St. Johns isnt doing too great in the AHL and may not make playoffs so he won't get any games there. He will only get sent back if he does not show at all and has a really bad camp. Imo
I was told last night by someone who spoke to Scheifele after returning from the WJC that Jets management has indicated to him even if he has just an ok camp, he is staying with the Jets.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Ottomatic

I think pro teams will by in large look to keep their top prospects with them as it helps sell the excitement to the fan base, like a new fresh start (with players not really considered part of the labor mess) with new exciting players.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Tim Watley

Quote:
Wow, you have really high standards. First place in the conference & 11 straight weeks in the CHL top 10 equate to a "mediocore" (sp) team to you?
I personally don't think it makes sense for NHL teams to burn a year off the entry level deals of their top prospects in a shortened season. I'd leave Scheifele, Strome, Galchenyuk, Hamilton, Jenner etc. all in junior until next year.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

I threw out the idea on the Trade rumor thread about Barrie and Saginaw making a deal but I wanted to hear from Colts fans what they think of this:

To Barrie: Trocheck and Addison
To Saginaw: Perlini, MacDonald, and Picks

Would make sense as insurance if Scheifele sticks with the Jets (which he probably will). Plus Saginaw and Barrie have a good trading history. I also think the deal could work if you take out MacDonald and Addison and just make it Perlini and picks for Trocheck (alot more picks would be needed though).

Old
01-08-2013, 02:31 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watley View Post
Wow, you have really high standards. First place in the conference & 11 straight weeks in the CHL top 10 equate to a "mediocore" (sp) team to you?
I personally don't think it makes sense for NHL teams to burn a year off the entry level deals of their top prospects in a shortened season. I'd leave Scheifele, Strome, Galchenyuk, Hamilton, Jenner etc. all in junior until next year.
Not a mediocre team at all.

Why does shortened season matter? You still have the year end prize to battle for? High end kids whove been playing competitve (even if down a few pegs) hockey may just be able to hit the ground running and provide help to NHL clubs in a shortened camp and sprint to the POs

Closed Thread