HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
I've never torn up my ACL, but I tore up my foot playing ball hockey. Of course being fat and out of shape doesn't help.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Good old Czabe on 980 is trying to get a lynch mob up on Shanahan for what happened to Griffin. Czabe's show on 980 even had one of ESPN's knee experts on, can't remember his name but he studied with Dr. Andrews for a year, and that Dr. said Griffin's injury at the end of the game was not a result of Griffin tweaking his LCL injury in the 1st quarter. Just a tough break. Didn't matter to Czabe though.

Ultimatey, **** happens. People get hurt playing football.

He does deserve some complaints and questions on this. He does have a history of running guys out there and running them into the ground.

I know it's a playoff game, and I know RGIII is going to play the warrior card, but at some point, you have to tell the kid, "Son, I want you to play 15 years, not 2 and some change".

That's on Shanny. I could see if it was Beck on the bench as well. But run the darn ball, and play Cousins.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:29 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Now I know I am not an orthopedic surgeon, but I spent a lot of time in Orthopedic offices when I tore my ACL at 14. Saw the skins team doctor, as well as Wizards/Caps doctor (ran into Antwaan Jamison several times in the office).

There is no such thing as a partial ACL tear. Its either torn or its not. Ligaments are avascular, they don't magically heal without a surgical repair. You can stabalize the ligament with therapy through muscle strengthening but that partial nick wont go away.
To add something to this, the others are correct in saying that there are indeed partial tears. You are correct in that the ligament does not regenerate itself. The distinction between partial and complete ACL tear is important, though, to help determine whether or not surgery is needed. Really the best way to categorize these injuries are whether it will interfere with the sport of choice and whether lack of repair will lead to osteoarthritis. An associated meniscal injury is a no-brainer for reconstruction because without it the knee will eventually go to hell (whether a high functioning athlete or not). A complete tear is also likely to develop osteoarthritis at some point, but repair can be delayed in some cases (unlikely delay for the high functioning athlete). The partial tear is a bit trickier, as most do not need surgery and rehab will suffice; that is unless there is instability. This is where Dr. Andrews' exam comes into play. He will do a bunch of tests like the Lachman, ligament arthrometer, pivot test, etc to determine how unstable (if at all) the joint is. That may determine whether and when surgery will be needed. You pretty much have to weigh the quicker recovery of rehab alone against the risk of further tearing it. He may decide that it would take almost the same type of injury that would rupture a good ACL to rupture his partially torn ACL and recommend no surgery. Or if the knee testing shows significant instability surgery when the inflammation goes down would be recommended. Treatment of partial tears is still being researched in the literature and I'm sure Dr. Andrews is not only aware of the latest but is involved in these studies. So I have no idea what will happen, lol.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:42 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
He does deserve some complaints and questions on this. He does have a history of running guys out there and running them into the ground.

I know it's a playoff game, and I know RGIII is going to play the warrior card, but at some point, you have to tell the kid, "Son, I want you to play 15 years, not 2 and some change".

That's on Shanny. I could see if it was Beck on the bench as well. But run the darn ball, and play Cousins.
Not running the **** out of Morris while sitting on a 14 point lead with a gimpy QB is my biggest gripe with Shanahan. Very frustrating. My parents won't watch another Skins game with me because of it.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:04 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Everything Shanahan does, starting with designing his OL, is built with the run game in mind, focusing on guys that are mobile, more than earth movers. Think Trent Williams over Okung.

In a game of this magnitude, to not do more to try to run the ball to help out his ailing QB, is definitely a head scratcher. Not putting in Cousins is another argument.

I think RG3 finished with 14 passing yards over the last 3 quarters before limping off in the games final minutes.

He may need to coordinate his GM duties better with his OC. I think we all know Kyle has an eye for the passing game, but Mike's offensive design builds the run game to have play action. They are tied together. Kyle just wants to drop back and throw. Kyle came out gunning and got us a quick 14 points. That caught Seattle off guard, but simply does not always fit Mike's design.

We are a team with 3 identities. Mike's Denver, Kyle's pass happy Bootleg, The Baylor RG3 Express. Yet it seems our OL is built specifically for Mike's Denver.

I am not sold on the 3 headed monster, as we don't even have an OL that can bulldoze on 3rd and 1. We saw it almost all year, running wide on short yardage. Consistently, pathetic pocket pass protection.

If we aren't going to run the defense sideline to sideline chasing Morris in the biggest game of the year, why does he design the OL the way he does?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-08-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
BobRouse

For certain is that the Redskins are on the upswing. RGIII will recover and continue to progress as a player. If he misses next season (or half the games next season) it maybe a blessing in disguise to give KC some valuable playing time.

The year after next the cap penalty will be removed. We are drafting better and will get a slew of injured starters back. Garcon will have time to get healthy.

Its not all doom and gloom. Hindsight is 20/20. I, like most of you probably, was yelling at the TV trying in vain to get Shanahan to pull RGIII. Damned if you do and damned if you don't for him really.

After a day to let things stew I realize things aren't as bad as they seemed.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I may have been one of the few not yelling at the TV to yank RG3. I wasn't yelling at the rabbit ears when Gibbs didn't yank Doug Williams in the superbowl up 14.

That was the problem, Mike was playing this like it was the super bowl or the last game of his career. And Doug Williams running, was not a part of our offense.

Hindsight, sure, he should have yanked him in the 1st quarter. But we have seen RG3 limping along for 3 weeks now, haven't we? No one I know called for him to be yanked before Sunday but he clearly has been at half speed.

Mike was influenced by RG3's words. We all have been, all year. Mike is supposed to be the smarter guy, but with RG3 limping along and our defense keeping the game close, he just crossed his fingers. We all did.

Losing Garcon crushed our offense. That lame duck shotgun snap was a back breaker. Alligator Arms Hank's drop was our final nail in the coffin. A dumb route - coming across the middle, we all know he detests contact.

Poor Cousins sitting in our "pocket" could barely even complete a throwing motion. We are not built to come back, sure RG3 pulled it off a few times this year, but we are not a pocket passing come from behind team. We don't even have a hands back.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-08-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 08:07 AM
BobRouse

I'm with you RH don't get me wrong. While I was yelling at the TV for Shannie to pull him I probably would have been yelling at the TV if he did and went with Cousins! More frustration than anything else. We would have certainly won that game if he was healthy..bah!

RE: Hankerson..I really didn't think that was too bad. That would have been a very tough catch even if he extended himself. Griff was off on his throws after the injury and that was one of them. WR have to protect themselves too.

Montgomery gets a pass for a couple piss poor snaps that cost us dearly both in terms of the game and being the straw that broke the Griffin's knee.

I'm feeling very good about next season whether Griffin starts it or, more likely, not.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I may have been one of the few not yelling at the TV to yank RG3. I wasn't yelling at the rabbit ears when Gibbs didn't yank Doug Williams in the superbowl up 14.

That was the problem, Mike was playing this like it was the super bowl or the last game of his career. And Doug Williams running, was not a part of our offense.

Hindsight, sure, he should have yanked him in the 1st quarter. But we have seen RG3 limping along for 3 weeks now, haven't we? No one I know called for him to be yanked before Sunday but he clearly has been at half speed.

Mike was influenced by RG3's words. We all have been, all year. Mike is supposed to be the smarter guy, but with RG3 limping along and our defense keeping the game close, he just crossed his fingers. We all did.

Losing Garcon crushed our offense. That lame duck shotgun snap was a back breaker. Alligator Arms Hank's drop was our final nail in the coffin. A dumb route - coming across the middle, we all know he detests contact.

Poor Cousins sitting in our "pocket" could barely even complete a throwing motion. We are not built to come back, sure RG3 pulled it off a few times this year, but we are not a pocket passing come from behind team. We don't even have a hands back.
Randy, the difference is that Cousins came in down 2 scores when we almost CERTAINLY had to throw and Seattle was pinning its ears back. Earlier in the game when there was the threat of running I'm pretty convinced he would have been more effective than RG3, who was frankly horrible passing (and again, I don't blame him because as we discussed I believed his throwing wa significantly affected)

Old
01-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I'm with you RH don't get me wrong. While I was yelling at the TV for Shannie to pull him I probably would have been yelling at the TV if he did and went with Cousins! More frustration than anything else. We would have certainly won that game if he was healthy..bah!

RE: Hankerson..I really didn't think that was too bad. That would have been a very tough catch even if he extended himself. Griff was off on his throws after the injury and that was one of them. WR have to protect themselves too.

Montgomery gets a pass for a couple piss poor snaps that cost us dearly both in terms of the game and being the straw that broke the Griffin's knee.

I'm feeling very good about next season whether Griffin starts it or, more likely, not.
The PI non-call on Moss was the final nail. Seahawks were a bunch of thugs. Thugs I tell you, THUGS!

The only cloud here, is we dont have a ton of draft picks to reload, and we have a strapped salary cap situation.

I dont know-- a lot went right for the Skins to be 10-6 and win the NFC. NFC East was woeful, some players stepped up where it wasnt assumed they would, etc etc. Without RG3, this was another 5-11 team, I am afraid. We dont beat all of Dallas 2x, or New York (or New Orleans, Minn, Tampa, Balt) without him.

Future looks "better" for sure. But I would not assume a better season next year than the one we just had. The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is a few small things. They go "right", and you're 10-6. "wrong", and your 6-10. Skins had a lot go "right", even with all the defensive injuries.

Will see, a lot can happen.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
The PI non-call on Moss was the final nail. Seahawks were a bunch of thugs. Thugs I tell you, THUGS!

The only cloud here, is we dont have a ton of draft picks to reload, and we have a strapped salary cap situation.

I dont know-- a lot went right for the Skins to be 10-6 and win the NFC. NFC East was woeful, some players stepped up where it wasnt assumed they would, etc etc. Without RG3, this was another 5-11 team, I am afraid. We dont beat all of Dallas 2x, or New York (or New Orleans, Minn, Tampa, Balt) without him.

Future looks "better" for sure. But I would not assume a better season next year than the one we just had. The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is a few small things. They go "right", and you're 10-6. "wrong", and your 6-10. Skins had a lot go "right", even with all the defensive injuries.

We also had a lot go wrong early in the season (Josh Morgan fiasco, etc.). Incidentally, I've read that the Skins are pretty confident they will get their cap penalty reduced.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Randy, the difference is that Cousins came in down 2 scores when we almost CERTAINLY had to throw and Seattle was pinning its ears back. Earlier in the game when there was the threat of running I'm pretty convinced he would have been more effective than RG3, who was frankly horrible passing (and again, I don't blame him because as we discussed I believed his throwing wa significantly affected)
Agreed 100%, but that is a major problem I have with the Shanahan offense.

Our OL cannot withstand a defense that knows we are going to pass. Just like we cannot run block and gain one yard up the gut. It's not how we are built.

Griffin has led nice comebacks this year, but in large part by scrambling and threat of doing so. But its not realistic to think we will always have a lead late in games, and wont need to pass.

Our offense simply cannot overcome big leads because we have lame duck pass protection, and I hate that, because it is by design.

I almost feel like in obvious passing downs, or short yardage, that we have an earth mover or two as backups sub in. Use a guy whose strength is pass protection.

Its an offensive passing league now, and I just feel like Shanahan thinks its 1990 and the only way to win is to run the ball, but with his son at the helm, gets away from that in big games.

Morris had 8 carries in the final 3 quarters. We opened the 2nd half, running Young.

Without RG3, our offense has no identity at all.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
We also had a lot go wrong early in the season (Josh Morgan fiasco, etc.). Incidentally, I've read that the Skins are pretty confident they will get their cap penalty reduced.
I've read exactly the opposite. Where are you seeing that?

Josh Morgan's play wasnt necessarily the reason for that loss. We didnt have it defensively, and I had no confidence in our K at the time (neither did the Skins, as they got rid of him).

Anyway, you're missing the boat with my argument. The Redskins were at no point a dominant team. We had a couple good games vs bad teams (Cleveland and Philly), and then scraped by vs the rest. The moxie of the team is to be lauded, in a major way. But Moxie isn't something you can count in each and every year. In fact, it usually moves away from you.

I also didnt mention our last place schedule, which will be significantly harder next season. With the same team, as stands, and with RG3 missing even 4 games, we are at best an 8-8 team with that 1st place schedule. Probably close to 6-10 or 7-9.

If the Redskins can make some solid depth moves to bolster the defense, and can draft *great* again (they have drafted great, IMO, the last 2 years), AND have a healthy RG3 for a full season, then we could see a better year, record wise.

But thats a lot to ask for.

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 01-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

The refs let the Seahawks play and it worked to their advantage. On their interception I saw Garcon clearly interfered with so as to prevent him from making a play on the ball for instance.

Our drafting has been superb so not having a 1st is no big deal as long as they keep up the good work.

RGIII is awesome but Cousins is absolutely no slouch as he showed in the Cleveland game.

The salary cap situation will be done with the year after next and Bruce is very good with the Cap. Guys like Moss and DeAngelo will be back at reduced figures.

I think alot went WRONG for the skins. They were decimated by injuries and suspensions on D. Garcon playing one quarter basically in the first half of the season didn't exactly help.

Davis, Garcon, Carriker, Merriweather, Jackson and Orakpo going out so very early in the season was no good.

Merriweather played the best half of safety the Skins have had since ST.

They were 5-11 with Grossman and no Garcon. Cousins is much better than Grossman and the division is older and worse. 10-6 is completely reasonable with Cousins starting next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Without RG3, our offense has no identity at all.
Did you not watch the game vs Cleveland? I disagree with you on this one. It reminded me of the Shanahan offense with Jake Plummer only with a better QB.

Kyle did a good job this year. Could he have done some things differently vs the Seahawks? Sure but he had an off game and a severly limited QB.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
The refs let the Seahawks play and it worked to their advantage. On their interception I saw Garcon clearly interfered with so as to prevent him from making a play on the ball for instance.

Our drafting has been superb so not having a 1st is no big deal as long as they keep up the good work.

RGIII is awesome but Cousins is absolutely no slouch as he showed in the Cleveland game.

The salary cap situation will be done with the year after next and Bruce is very good with the Cap. Guys like Moss and DeAngelo will be back at reduced figures.

I think alot went WRONG for the skins. They were decimated by injuries and suspensions on D. Garcon playing one quarter basically in the first half of the season didn't exactly help.

Davis, Garcon, Carriker, Merriweather, Jackson and Orakpo going out so very early in the season was no good.

Merriweather played the best half of safety the Skins have had since ST.

They were 5-11 with Grossman and no Garcon. Cousins is much better than Grossman and the division is older and worse. 10-6 is completely reasonable with Cousins starting next year.

Did you not watch the game vs Cleveland? I disagree with you on this one. It reminded me of the Shanahan offense with Jake Plummer only with a better QB.

Kyle did a good job this year. Could he have done some things differently vs the Seahawks? Sure but he had an off game and a severly limited QB.
The fan bases of just about every team in the league that is no longer playing could make a list of things that went wrong for their team that would be just as long or longer than yours, so it isn't like the Skins were at some serious disadvantage against every team they played.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of moves the other teams in the NFC East make. It's is very likely their teams will be improved by the time camp breaks next year. Prior to last offseason, I don't know if many Skins fans would have expected RGIII to have the kind of year he had or for them to have the 2nd leading rusher in the league on their squad. Change happens much more quickly in the NFL than in most of the other leagues.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:

I may be too nit picky and pissed from the way the season ended.

I loved the Cleveland game, but that was the non RG3 offense. Lots of bootlegs where Cousins dominated. Yes, he did much better in the boot and a guy in his face than RG3, who I thought oddly, Kyle rarely even ran the boot for.

We are at our core the Denver zone blocking run team. Add RG3, we are a hybrid mixing in lots of Baylor. As our QB changes, our identity changes. All the while, OC guru Kyle is pushing all the buttons, and I think is itching to pass more than dad's original design calls for.

When Cousins went in, we needed to go immediately to the bootleg offense.

We had him standing in the pocket like Mark Rypien. It failed miserably. I did not recognize that offense. That is the non RG3 forced to pass offense... that doesn't exist.

I thought Kyle's game plan could have been better. 1st quarter, he called a great game, but fell apart from there. A mere 14 passing yards after that, before Cousins got in for mop up (3 for 10 30 yds). The big thing, only 8 carries for Morris after getting up 14. I do not pin the entire loss on RG3's knee, he could hand off just fine. Maybe Morris was injured, but I doubt it.

Our defense held up well and shares no blame in the loss. Doughty was a beast.

Agreed Kyle overall did well this year, but dont you think a lot of that was adopting Baylor's offense, and forgetting all that Kubiak taught him?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Say what you want about what should of happened against SEA or whether the Skins were lucky to win 7 straight, but no one can deny that for the 1st time since '99 at least the Skins have a chance to be relevant again. With a foundation of 1st to 3rd year players that just fought together for a Division crown and a playoff spot. That is invaluable experience.

Next could go either way, but for me the future holds promise. This offseason is important to build on this years progress. Yes the Skins will be without a 1st round pick, but picks in rounds 2-7 will do. Regardless of the news on Griffin I am very excited.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

We won the division with a cap penalty, too.

01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Mara did all he could, that rat *******.

Overall I think all redskins fans are elated the way the regular season went

Some of us, are just still fuming the way the playoffs went. Sore losers. If RG3 stayed healthy and the game ended on an RG3 INT, I would be fine.

But we were like a shell of the team that got us there. Heavy Morris, RG3 zone read scrambling improvising ft. near perfect passer ratings; almost unstoppable.

We saw almost none of that.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Capsman

Quote:
I've read exactly the opposite. Where are you seeing that?

Josh Morgan's play wasnt necessarily the reason for that loss. We didnt have it defensively, and I had no confidence in our K at the time (neither did the Skins, as they got rid of him).

Anyway, you're missing the boat with my argument. The Redskins were at no point a dominant team. We had a couple good games vs bad teams (Cleveland and Philly), and then scraped by vs the rest. The moxie of the team is to be lauded, in a major way. But Moxie isn't something you can count in each and every year. In fact, it usually moves away from you.

I also didnt mention our last place schedule, which will be significantly harder next season. With the same team, as stands, and with RG3 missing even 4 games, we are at best an 8-8 team with that 1st place schedule. Probably close to 6-10 or 7-9.

If the Redskins can make some solid depth moves to bolster the defense, and can draft *great* again (they have drafted great, IMO, the last 2 years), AND have a healthy RG3 for a full season, then we could see a better year, record wise.

But thats a lot to ask for.
Chris Russell yesterday on Twitter said the Skins seem to be confident.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Capitlols

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Robert Griffin expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL and at that time doctors will determine if any damage has been done to ACL.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

WTOP says recovery time for LCL is between 3-9 months.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Capitlols

That's an odd timeframe. Let's hope it's just the LCL.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

CSN-Washington‏@csnwashington

BREAKING: Robert Griffin III will undergo surgery on a torn LCL in right knee http://cmcst.sn/aabu3Q via @Tarik_CSN #Redskins #RedskinsTalk

Torn LCL is better than a torn ACL.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

More information:

MarkMaske‏@MarkMaske

R. Griffin will undergo surgery in coming days to have LCL tear repaired and determine extent of damage to ACL, person close to case says.

Not out of the ACL woods yet, even sounds like the ACL is damaged if they are talking about "extent".

Closed Thread