HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2013 Senators Training Camp (26 Players, 3goalies))

Old
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Stone probably takes the hole that silf leaves in bingo. Wouldn't shock me if he takes off over the second half.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Stone probably takes the hole that silf leaves in bingo. Wouldn't shock me if he takes off over the second half.
Ideal.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

If Lehner comes to the camp along with Bishop, who will man the fort in Binghamton until Lehner goes back?

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
If Lehner comes to the camp along with Bishop, who will man the fort in Binghamton until Lehner goes back?
Lawson. In an ideal world, I am hoping for Lehner to continue his MVPesque season in the AHL, and force Murray to make a deal with one of Anderson or Bishop. We have all been guilty of overvaluing prospects at some point, and putting their ceiling to an unreachable level, but I honestly think Lehner has the ability, within the next two years, to become a top 10 goaltender in the NHL.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Please don't say Derek Smith was good when he was called up.

I still have nightmares of that game against Detroit when he was walked around like 3 times a shift.
I'd like to see Boro, Gryba(toughness, physical play, shut down guys) and I guess Wiercioch (PP)get a shot. See what they bring and if they don't bring it send them back! I think a lot of people would be surprised with their ability. Gryba plays a lot like Cowen. Boro is a pitbull.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Lawson. In an ideal world, I am hoping for Lehner to continue his MVPesque season in the AHL, and force Murray to make a deal with one of Anderson or Bishop. We have all been guilty of overvaluing prospects at some point, and putting their ceiling to an unreachable level, but I honestly think Lehner has the ability, within the next two years, to become a top 10 goaltender in the NHL.
This is terrifying for Bingo..

Lawson is hellabad.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'd guess that's what happens. Look out for prince too. Both of them have already been playing better the last few. Petersson will be back in bingo soon too no? Don't remember why he's out. Bingo will be fine. Ottawa will be exciting.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
This is terrifying for Bingo..

Lawson is hellabad.
Lawson was hellabad in the one appearance that he had in Bingo this season (for that one period). But it was a 1 period relief appearance.

In truth, he's a very good AHL goalie. He was great in Hamilton last season (.914 SVP, 2.57 GAA and 5 shutouts). He had similar numbers in Bridgeport for the few seasons before that.

He'll only need to play for a couple games before the Sens send either Lehner or Bishop back. Then he'll be a competent backup for the B-Sens for the remainder of the season.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:19 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I'd guess that's what happens. Look out for prince too. Both of them have already been playing better the last few. Petersson will be back in bingo soon too no? Don't remember why he's out. Bingo will be fine. Ottawa will be exciting.
Both are good bets to show in the 2nd half that they are acclimatizing well and I think both will turn into good NHLers.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:38 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Great thinking. I doubt he would make it to camp but i wonder if he would consider moving from the KHL mid season.
He's not even allowed to should there be a minimal chance that he actualy wanted to. But maybe he's going to be the big revenge for the KHL trying to poach all the Russians with NHL contracts.

As for the D, if we're willing to pay up there are spare NHL defencemen on teams like San José and NHL-ready prospects in bunches in Phoenix (seriously, their AHL blueline looks as good as our NHL one). Just spitballing here, but I really, really think we need a defenceman or three.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:40 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
He's not even allowed to should there be a minimal chance that he actualy wanted to. But maybe he's going to be the big revenge for the KHL trying to poach all the Russians with NHL contracts.
Not gonna lie, it would be ridic-u-weird seeing Lyamin in a Sens jersey. I wrote that guy off so long ago, and then he had that one go-around in one of our development camps what... 3 years ago?

Everything in my brain screams "WHAT?!?" at the thought of it.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:02 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Not gonna lie, it would be ridic-u-weird seeing Lyamin in a Sens jersey. I wrote that guy off so long ago, and then he had that one go-around in one of our development camps what... 3 years ago?

Everything in my brain screams "WHAT?!?" at the thought of it.
I was at that rookie camp. Thought I was having a stroke when I saw Lyamin.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:49 AM
sg58

No surprises, but MacLean says it's 3-65 and 33-19-9 and 73-7-11 going into camp.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Just guesses

Forwards
Spezza Condra Greening
Smith Alfie Turris
O'brien Michalek Latendresse
Daugavins Neil Silfverberg
Regin Hoffman Da Costa

Defence
Karlsson Gonchar
Methot Phillips
Boro Wiercioch
Benoit FA Signing/Trade

Goalies
Anderson
Bishop
Lehner
Those forward lines are sick

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Those forward lines are sick

They are aren't they. I was just listing players expected to be at training camp in random order.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
No surprises, but MacLean says it's 3-65 and 33-19-9 and 73-7-11 going into camp.
I don't like that. In fact because of our history with first line jokes i almost hate it. Don't put a rookie on the top line to start. Give him something to work up to and less chance for failure. Ideally i'd put silfv on a third line to start or at least in this case the second line. Let him work on the little things and improve gradually. Am i saying he's not a top 6 player? No. Just do everything you can to help him.
And maybe it will work out this way. I am never a fan of throwing a rookie on the top line. Goes for crosby, ovechkin, yakupov. Unless you have NO one. I'd start with regin or greening and let silfv take it from them. Shortened season? Less time? Irrelevant in my opinion.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:04 AM
sg58

If you're trying to help his confidence long-term there are two sides of the coin. Perhaps he disappoints completely this year and can't put pucks in the net despite being surrounded by talent. That is unlikely but possible, I suppose. On the other hand, if you don't give him good chances to succeed (i.e. PP time and top-6 opportunities) chances are he'll never produce and be stuck in a bottom-6 hole or worse. I definitely prefer the first option, and as we've seen over the past couple of years, he's very capable.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:07 AM
General Granny*

I seriously would give a roster spot to Gryba over Boroweicki because of their play this season. Big body, physical, good reach and is leading the team with +13, he fills the need that Cowen provided a bit better than Boro.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
If you're trying to help his confidence long-term there are two sides of the coin. Perhaps he disappoints completely this year and can't put pucks in the net despite being surrounded by talent. That is unlikely but possible, I suppose. On the other hand, if you don't give him good chances to succeed (i.e. PP time and top-6 opportunities) chances are he'll never produce and be stuck in a bottom-6 hole or worse. I definitely prefer the first option, and as we've seen over the past couple of years, he's very capable.
I see no downside to starting him on the 2nd or 3rd line for 20 games. I get this just training camp and a short one so it may make sense to try him out with spezza there. Unless he really blew everyone away and looked right at home (which he might) i'd start him lower once he games get going.

As long as the most nhl ready and capable guys are up against the other teams best players i have no problem.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
I seriously would give a roster spot to Gryba over Boroweicki because of their play this season. Big body, physical, good reach and is leading the team with +13, he fills the need that Cowen provided a bit better than Boro.
I think boro is as ready or close as he'll ever be and i think he's capable. Probably more nhl confident than gryba. I'd have to see both in a senators game, but i'd be leaning quite a bit to boro now.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:14 AM
sg58

Quote:
I see no downside to starting him on the 2nd or 3rd line for 20 games. I get this just training camp and a short one so it may make sense to try him out with spezza there. Unless he really blew everyone away and looked right at home (which he might) i'd start him lower once he games get going.

As long as the most nhl ready and capable guys are up against the other teams best players i have no problem.
Turris and his line usually played the toughest competition with Smith's line handling the tougher zone starts. That's another reason why it makes sense to start the rookie on the most sheltered/offensively used line.

Old
Pilgore88

Quote:

It's really no different then pretty much giving the first line spot to Greening last year, except the fact that Greening isn't as suited for that role as Silfverberg. Seeing that we now have a guy like Silfverberg to step into that role, I see no reason for not putting him there, and leaving a guy like Greening or Regin on the third line where their play is more suited.

Old
General Granny*

Quote:
I don't like that. In fact because of our history with first line jokes i almost hate it. Don't put a rookie on the top line to start. Give him something to work up to and less chance for failure. Ideally i'd put silfv on a third line to start or at least in this case the second line. Let him work on the little things and improve gradually. Am i saying he's not a top 6 player? No. Just do everything you can to help him.
And maybe it will work out this way. I am never a fan of throwing a rookie on the top line. Goes for crosby, ovechkin, yakupov. Unless you have NO one. I'd start with regin or greening and let silfv take it from them. Shortened season? Less time? Irrelevant in my opinion.
Umm seeing how this organization was begging him to stay in Ottawa last season and not go to Sweden I am not surprised he is at the top line, plus rushing him into a heated playoff series right off the bat leads to think he is our best option for top 6 where we had Butler, Condra, Greening rotating on the top line.

The guy just captained and MVPd his championship team in a pro league, was brought over with all that hype and pressure with the Swedish media into the playoffs and looked pretty good, then was put on the top line and Bingo and is performing, I don't think the pressure will get to him.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:18 AM
BK201

Quote:
Dude relax its training camp not a game they want to know if silf has chemistry with spezza if he doesn't their gonna put him with Turris.

But seriously who knows maybe he'll have the best chemistry in line 3 with smith and Regin and really make an amazing 3rd line, who knows but it's training camp.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Umm seeing how this organization was begging him to stay in Ottawa last season and not go to Sweden I am not surprised he is at the top line, plus rushing him into a heated playoff series right off the bat leads to think he is our best option for top 6 where we had Butler, Condra, Greening rotating on the top line.

The guy just captained and MVPd his championship team in a pro league, was brought over with all that hype and pressure with the Swedish media into the playoffs and looked pretty good, then was put on the top line and Bingo and is performing, I don't think the pressure will get to him.
It's not pressure i'm talking about it. It's more getting a player to work hard at every level for the rewards. Doesn't hurt to start witlh that lesson.