HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
What happens if Luongo is traded again, say 5 years from now?
(To say Carolina for random sake).

Is T-O off the hook if he retires, or does it just adjust the formula I wonder.
What other team would aquire a goalie at his age, cap it, contract term, not to mention his NTC, and likely be in a position where his play has dropped off?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

[QUOTE=DougGilmour93;57267697]
Quote:

We'd need something decent in replace of Lapierre.
Don't think your new coach is very fond of Lappy.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
What happens if Luongo is traded again, say 5 years from now?
(To say Carolina for random sake).

Is T-O off the hook if he retires, or does it just adjust the formula I wonder.
As I understand it anyteam that benefits from the cap circumvention portion of his contract must pay that back in a cap penalty averaged out over the remaining part of his deal after he retires. But I'm certainly no expert.

So you guys will already have a penalty around 2m a season if he retires with 3 years left on his deal. And that will only go up if you keep him into or through next season.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
We're NOT trading Lappy. We searched years to find the perfect 4th line center.

@sportsnetmurph
I tweeted earlier compliance buyout of Luongo makes no sense because VAN ownership won't scratch a check for 30-million+ to let a guy walk.
Lappy is a ufa and on a million per. He's not going to re-sign for that little. At least double that.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
I donno if hell be the gm in 10 years. Maybe it impacts his value a bit, but I dont see it as a dealbreaker by any means.

Maybe Van takes Komisarek off their hands to compensate, or something of that nature? Donno, definitely a curveball though.
I think it has a huge effect on his value. All the benefit of his contract is gone.
Also Van taking Komi is nearly valueless to us. Paying his buyout is nothing to us.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Lappy is a ufa and on a million per. He's not going to re-sign for that little. At least double that.
$2M? What has he done to deserve that?

I bet he re-signs for under $2M. He has finally found a place after leaving MTL. Don't think he'll forget that when signing or thinking of going to ufa.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
As I understand it anyteam that benefits from the cap circumvention portion of his contract must pay that back in a cap penalty averaged out over the remaining part of his deal after he retires. But I'm certainly no expert.

So you guys will already have a penalty around 2m a season if he retires with 3 years left on his deal. And that will only go up if you keep him into or through next season.
The friedman article makes no sense. I think he's running circles around himself logically. Looking forward to reading the actual ratified cba.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Key question that fans would like answered to gauge Roberto's value in the new CBA landscape:

Who retains his cap hit if he retires: the team who originally signed him to that contract or the team that acquires him?

If the cap implications travel with the player, Roberto is essentially immovable, IMO.
if it remains with the current teams has retirement makes him valuable when he retires. $2m worst case isn't that high a price when you are getting 6-7m goalie for 5.3m for years.

You'll be able to trade him to a team that wants to get under the floor in real dollars but using Luongo's cap hit. I'm sure a guy like Wang would pay Luongo not to play and not to retire just for his cap hit. $1m to dodge 5.3m, you could even take a dud contract back for year so it doesn't cost Wang a cent to dodge 5m under cap.

Last edited by me2: 01-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
What other team would aquire a goalie at his age, cap it, contract term, not to mention his NTC, and likely be in a position where his play has dropped off?
It was a theoretical question, but I would say a cap floor team looking for artificially inflated cap

Old
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
It "saves" him money in the sense that all of Luongo's 6.7M annually will be used up at some point.

For a budget team 6.7M in salary vs 5.3 in cap hit wasn't seen as a positive until the new clause.
For a business the star power Luongo brings to a "new" Brooklyn team cannot be overlooked.

Luongo with something to prove vs. King Henrik and the NYR would be a huge selling point.
Its the exact same amount of money being spent. Just spread out over a different amount of time. Only it works out backwards for Wang. Right now when he wants to spend as little as posible he has to spend extra but later when he move the team to a new location in a new arena and he has more money to spent that is when he will get to save.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
You have to have expectations to succeed to become a choke artist. Think about that.
He would choke here in Toronto even worse than he did in Vancouver with the roster around him, even with lowered expectations. Toronto is where his career will go to die because as evidenced, he simply doesn't have what it takes to play in a market like Vancouver, let alone Toronto.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
seanlinden

My honest question....when the "insiders" are suggesting that buying out Luongo is at least a consideration.....and the only information regarding competing offers being that Florida might be interested, despite having a goalie who had similar numbers to Luongo last year with 1/4 of the salary.... where the heck are these Canucks fans getting the idea for what might be a realistic trade?

Yeah, you can ask for Bozak because you need a #2 centre, you could ask for Weiss for the same reason.... heck you could ask for Kessel because you want another scoring line.... that doesn't mean it's realistic.

Don't get me wrong, Luongo probably has some value... and Toronto is in an excellent position to take him on without sending salary for 2013-14 back.... but guys from the top of our lineup? forget it.

Realistically... you look at the Canucks needs and what the Leafs have expendable... it's prospects, and depth centres. Take a guy like Lombardi or Connolly, and add him to Kadri, and that's probably what you're looking at. Vancouver stops accumulating cap recapture benefits, gets a guy who can help fill the void while Kesler's out, and a prospect up front that can play immidiately. Toronto gives up one guy who probably wouldn't be resigned, and a prospect who's only going to decline if you keep him.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
It was a theoretical question, but I would say a cap floor team looking for artificially inflated cap
I think it is a moot point anyway. It seems the cap penalty is just the cap space saved when his hit is lower than his salary.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Still Burke is going to look at the situation down the road as if he would be there and apply the value as he sees it. Also if you want Komi you can have him but taking him from us adds no value to the trade. We can easily afford to buy him out, money doesnt matter to us. Cap space now and down the road does.

I'm not trying to say that Luongo is now worthless just that his value has dropped in light of the "cap-recapture system." Do you think I am wrong on that?
I agree it has a negative impact on his value, and like I said it maybe makes a small tweak in the deal (ie taking on komisarek out of good will, maybe sending a pick to Toronto, maybe Van eats a small fraction of cap in the trade to compensate).

I just dont see it as a deal breaker.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
He would choke here in Toronto even worse than he did in Vancouver with the roster around him, even with lowered expectations. Toronto is where his career will go to die because as evidenced, he simply doesn't have what it takes to play in a market like Vancouver, let alone Toronto.
Sigh. Really have no comment.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
The friedman article makes no sense. I think he's running circles around himself logically. Looking forward to reading the actual ratified cba.
Yea I had to read it about 4 time to really understand it but as i understand it any cap saved must be paid back in a penalty averaged out over the years remaining on his deal after he retires.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Not a fan of going to the Stanley Cup finals I take it?

01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
I agree it has a negative impact on his value, and like I said it maybe makes a small tweak in the deal (ie taking on komisarek out of good will, maybe sending a pick to Toronto, maybe Van eats a small fraction of cap in the trade to compensate).

BTW. Taking Komisarek is not "good will" -- he's actually needed in Toronto this year... there's no UFAs available that can replace him.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Ho Borvat

[QUOTE=DougGilmour93;57267697]
Quote:

We'd need something decent in replace of Lapierre.
A 3rd round pick?

Its what we paid for Lappy?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Lu is a bit of a headcase at times, but even being a bit of a headcase, he still got to game 7 of the stanley cup finals. Every once in a while he has one horrendous game, but he generally recovers pretty quickly after a bad game. Look at Bryzgalov. He just absolutely cracked and has never looked the same while he's in Philly. Lu may have a bad game, but he will never ever give up and he has what it takes to turn that pathetic team around.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
BTW. Taking Komisarek is not "good will" -- he's actually needed in Toronto this year... there's no UFAs available that can replace him.
Understood, but you get the general idea right?
Do something to mitigate the cap down the road.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
He's a goalie that needs forty+ shots a game. He will let in 3-4 goals and make some great saves.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

Again eating Komi doesn't add any value. We can buy him out ourselves.

I dont see it as a deal breaker per-say but I dont see him holding much value anymore. It also increases your pressure to deal him now as the longer you hold on to him the larger your portion of the cap penalty gets.

Old
DougGilmour93

[QUOTE=kack zassian;57268711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

A 3rd round pick?

Its what we paid for Lappy?
Nah, a better asset than that.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Sadly at this point we do need him. But he is still a prime buyout candidate in the summer.

Closed Thread