HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: Light at the end of the tunnel?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
BrannigansLaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not a fan of going to the Stanley Cup finals I take it?
And you think the Leafs are a Luongo away from the Stanley Cup Finals?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
I would be very happy with a deal like this:

Roberto Luongo
Mason Raymond
5th round pick

for

Stephen Weiss
Alexander Petrovic
2nd round pick
And you should be. That would be a great deal for the Nucks.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Again eating Komi doesn't add any value. We can buy him out ourselves.

I dont see it as a deal breaker per-say but I dont see him holding much value anymore. It also increases your pressure to deal him now as the longer you hold on to him the larger your portion of the cap penalty gets.
A couple weeks wont make a huge difference on the cap penalty.

But what im getting at is, there are ways Gillis could mitigate the cap for Toronto down the road (the new salary/cap eating feature could be one way, sending a conditional pick, etc).

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Lapierre loves playing in Vancouver.

No Canucks talks as highly about Vancouver as he does. He got a second chance, the coach loves him, the GM loves him, the GM loves him and he finally has a long term spot on a roster. He also got engaged to a Cactus Club server, lol.

He ain't gonna want to go nowhere.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
It's possible. Once you get into the playoffs anything is possible.

01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I wouldnt go that far, but hes easily the biggest impact player you could reasonably acquire.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Lu is a bit of a headcase at times, but even being a bit of a headcase, he still got to game 7 of the stanley cup finals. Every once in a while he has one horrendous game, but he generally recovers pretty quickly after a bad game. Look at Bryzgalov. He just absolutely cracked and has never looked the same while he's in Philly. Lu may have a bad game, but he will never ever give up and he has what it takes to turn that pathetic team around.
Not a huge Lu fan but he gets way to much crap for the finals. No team was going to win with the scoring trouble the Canucks had in the finals.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Not a huge Lu fan but he gets way to much crap for the finals. No team was going to win with the scoring trouble the Canucks had in the finals.
The fact the Canucks even got that far was a miracle and a testament to how great Luongo played in the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
And you should be. That would be a great deal for the Nucks.
If the rumours about Weiss wanting to leave Florida are true, it could be a good deal for Florida too.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
There was a lot of conn smyte talk directed luongos way that people seem to forget about

Old
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
A lot closer then with guys like Finn, Kadri ...etc

Old
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
He would choke here in Toronto even worse than he did in Vancouver with the roster around him, even with lowered expectations. Toronto is where his career will go to die because as evidenced, he simply doesn't have what it takes to play in a market like Vancouver, let alone Toronto.
Hmmm, Luongo has had a few bad stretches but overall he's been a top 5 goalie since he got here, at times the best in the league, and by far the best in franchise history. Saying he couldn't handle this market is ridiculous, he took our team to game 7 of the cup finals even though we only scored 7 goals for him in the series, heading into the finals he was a playoff MVP...

He's been VERY good for us.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
A couple weeks wont make a huge difference on the cap penalty.

But what im getting at is, there are ways Gillis could mitigate the cap for Toronto down the road (the new salary/cap eating feature could be one way, sending a conditional pick, etc).
A couple weeks could turn into alot more if things dont go well. If the season starts and Reimer performs well like he did before his concussion our interest in Lu drops.

I guess I just dont agree with you and we will have to wait and see. 3 or 4 years of penalties on our cap penalties just aren't cancelled out by something small like a conditional pick.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
It's possible. Once you get into the playoffs anything is possible.
That's cute.

Quote:
I wouldnt go that far, but hes easily the biggest impact player you could reasonably acquire.
Not doubting that but if the price is Kulemin + Kadri or our 1st is involved, there is no trade to be had. It simply is not worth derailing our rebuild again for the tail end of Luongo's career.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
At least they'd make the playoffs. Their team would be improved and they would start to attract key free agents. As it is right now Toronto doesn't have a lot of promise (regardless of what Burke will tell you) and they are a black hole for attracting players right now. James Reimer is the worst starter in the league...

I don't think the Leafs will end up with Luongo but it is definitely in Burke's best interest to pitch something valuable. The price for a goaltender of Luongo's caliber won't be this low for years,

Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
There was a lot of conn smyte talk directed luongos way that people seem to forget about
He was probably your best player over the 3 games you won in that series too. If a goalie plays that well over 3 game you gotta hope the team can help him out and win a game for him when he doesn't have hus best stuff.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:33 PM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
A lot closer then with guys like Finn, Kadri ...etc
Not talking about those guys. They can be dealt as far as I'm concerned. I'm more opposed to the outrageous demands of Kulemin+Kadri+ or our 1st being involved unconditionally.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
It was a theoretical question, but I would say a cap floor team looking for artificially inflated cap
And to pay a player to be a back up goalie, likely more than the market will bear for back up goalies in actual cash? Makes plenty of sense.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM
PavelBure10

Would this trade be fair?

Luongo
Raymond

Bozak
Kadri
Frattin
Franson

Bozak is obviously the one who Mike Gillis wanted all a long. He has shown a great deal of interest in Bozak before, and with the gaping hole at the 3rd line center it just makes sense to involve Bozak in the deal.

Personally I'd be happy to get Cody Franson. He has great size, decent mobility, and most importantly a right handed shot. Something the Canucks D lacks of. Reading through these forums I think he's becoming highly underrated around here. I still think Franson has potential to be a 30 point defenseman in this league, and would look great on a defensive squad of Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler and Tanev. I'd be happy to have Franson's negotiating rights, and bring the B.C. defender back home where he belongs.

I don't expect to get a first rounder for Lu, but I do expect a very good prospect in return. After Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and maybe Schroeder. The Canucks have prospects who lack top end talent. Pretty much other then the ones I noted, no one has a chance to make the 1st or 2nd lines. To me, Kadri has to be part of the deal to take the sting away if the Canucks get burned in the Luongo trade. Which can easily happen. After this season, both Bozak and Franson could choose to sign elsewhere. Leaving the Canucks with nothing in return for the greatest goalie they've had in their franchise. While the Leafs laugh their way to the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Honestly with the "cap-recapture system" guys like Kadri and Finn are now off the table from my perspective.

A deal around Connolly, Franson and a secondary prospect like Blacker, Ashton or Colbourne is about what I would offer.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
The friedman article makes no sense. I think he's running circles around himself logically. Looking forward to reading the actual ratified cba.
I would also wait for the CBA to come out in full. Because I think the Hossa, Lou and Kovy deal will be exempt from this rule due to the deal the the NHL/NHLPA made that effectively grandfathered those deals in back in 2010.

Here is a link to an article talking about the original offer by the NHL. All I could find. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/09/...e-in-jeopardy/

Now it did not end up with those exact terms but I believe that those three deals where grandfathered. While any signed after that could be effected by a new CBA.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
That's cute.

Not doubting that but if the price is Kulemin + Kadri or our 1st is involved, there is no trade to be had. It simply is not worth derailing our rebuild again for the tail end of Luongo's career.
How are the leafs rebuilding when all of their core players are in their late 20s?

Phaneuf, Grabovski, Lupul, Kessel, Bozak, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, are all 25+. Do you really think wasting their prime years is a good idea?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
racerjoe

Crap this thread is moving fast again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Haha yeah.

Wanna make it simple?

if they get 1st, Biggs, Percy. You change my avy. If not, I got yours picked.

Finn may be moved. Hes a decent pick by Toronto, but he holds some value and easier to move then Biggs or Percy who were specifically acquired.

I would rather say; Just this years 1st. but ill give you those 2 players on the bet, if you wish.

Oh i know, but i don't want to give him Finn in the bet too.
Nah, cause I think there is more players that could be added for that Value then those three, one being Finn.

[QUOTE=DougGilmour93;57267305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Not high at all on Colbourne, Finn? or 1st?

QUOTE]

Nah, too high on Finn and the 1st.

Kadri, Biggs, Connolly, Franson

for

Lapierre + Luongo
Makes me think, but can't give up Lappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
My honest question....when the "insiders" are suggesting that buying out Luongo is at least a consideration.....and the only information regarding competing offers being that Florida might be interested, despite having a goalie who had similar numbers to Luongo last year with 1/4 of the salary.... where the heck are these Canucks fans getting the idea for what might be a realistic trade?

Yeah, you can ask for Bozak because you need a #2 centre, you could ask for Weiss for the same reason.... heck you could ask for Kessel because you want another scoring line.... that doesn't mean it's realistic.

Don't get me wrong, Luongo probably has some value... and Toronto is in an excellent position to take him on without sending salary for 2013-14 back.... but guys from the top of our lineup? forget it.

Realistically... you look at the Canucks needs and what the Leafs have expendable... it's prospects, and depth centres. Take a guy like Lombardi or Connolly, and add him to Kadri, and that's probably what you're looking at. Vancouver stops accumulating cap recapture benefits, gets a guy who can help fill the void while Kesler's out, and a prospect up front that can play immidiately. Toronto gives up one guy who probably wouldn't be resigned, and a prospect who's only going to decline if you keep him.
How many insiders are actually saying buyout is a realistic option? Only one I have heard is Lawton one, and it is laughable, when you look at any it with any logic at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure10 View Post
Would this trade be fair?

Luongo
Raymond

Bozak
Kadri
Frattin
Franson

Bozak is obviously the one who Mike Gillis wanted all a long. He has shown a great deal of interest in Bozak before, and with the gaping hole at the 3rd line center it just makes sense to involve Bozak in the deal.

Personally I'd be happy to get Cody Franson. He has great size, decent mobility, and most importantly a right handed shot. Something the Canucks D lacks of. Reading through these forums I think he's becoming highly underrated around here. I still think Franson has potential to be a 30 point defenseman in this league, and would look great on a defensive squad of Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler and Tanev. I'd be happy to have Franson's negotiating rights, and bring the B.C. defender back home where he belongs.

I don't expect to get a first rounder for Lu, but I do expect a very good prospect in return. After Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, and maybe Schroeder. The Canucks have prospects who lack top end talent. Pretty much other then the ones I noted, no one has a chance to make the 1st or 2nd lines. To me, Kadri has to be part of the deal to take the sting away if the Canucks get burned in the Luongo trade. Which can easily happen. After this season, both Bozak and Franson could choose to sign elsewhere. Leaving the Canucks with nothing in return for the greatest goalie they've had in their franchise. While the Leafs laugh their way to the playoffs.
Absolutely no interest in Raymond, and not trading Kadri or Frattin now that we would be on the hook for paying for Luongo for the next decade even after he retires.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Timmy

Quote:
That's cute.

He didn't have a lot of time to post - he had to make it Quick.

Closed Thread