HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
There you go. Eberle skinner and Kane will not make it and even though I put down Hall he probably won't either. Hall is my dark horse.

You see you made me come out of retirement again. Need I remind you I picked Canada 4th this year at wjc???

80%
Lol I can't believe you're serious: "Eberle won't make the team"! You're a riot!

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Staal Crosby Stamkos
Nash Toews Giroux
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Tavares Bergeron Eberle
Skinner

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo
Letang

Ward
Fleury
Luongo

What do you guys think?

Old
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Staal Crosby Stamkos
Nash Toews Giroux
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Tavares Bergeron Eberle
Skinner

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo
Letang

Ward
Fleury
Luongo

What do you guys think?
I think there's no way Phaneuf makes the team, and I'm not a Staal fan. Getzlaf only makes my team if he has a good year. You left off Canada's best goalie, too.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I think there's no way Phaneuf makes the team, and I'm not a Staal fan. Getzlaf only makes my team if he has a good year. You left off Canada's best goalie, too.
Phaneuf was on the 2007 World Championship Gold Medal team as well as the number one defenseman at the 2011 WC and along with Keith and Bouwmeester were the top dmen for Canada in 2012 barely being on the ice for any goals against. A 6'4 presence on the wing can be absolutely dynamic as Staalzy showed in 2010. The chemistry he had with Sid was really something as the tourney progressed. Getzlaf might be a ? on this board but people who know what they're watching know that a player like him can't be replaced. Just watch the worlds last year and witness how many shifts he was dominating with his size and strength and faceoff presence as well as the chemistry with Perry will be a boost right away like in 2010. If Marty performs then sure why not but I think still think experience on larger ice is key which Ward has plenty off and it'll help him adjust quicker to the short tournament.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Staal Crosby Stamkos
Nash Toews Giroux
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Tavares Bergeron Eberle
Skinner

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo
Letang

Ward
Fleury
Luongo

What do you guys think?
I think its ironic for a habs fan to leave off the most obvious number one goalie.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I think its ironic for a habs fan to leave off the most obvious number one goalie.

I don't know, Carey had his chance this year to play at the Worlds to prove himself but he didn't go, Ward did and Hockey Canada will remember that. At this point I wouldn't put Carey in since adjusting to the different angles and the movements and reactions might take a while whereas Ward will know what to expect. But Yes, Price could very well be number one but a lot depends on his performance this season, he has to prove it in the big games now.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
See all you 80% ers next year. I'll be back next year with my new predictionsss.
Off to temporary retirement, have fun with your little predictions that will be way off.

So long 80% ers.
Have fun thinking about the thousand ways you are going to backtrack when the Olymipics get here.

Last edited by Atomos2: 01-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Ujjy

Tavares-Crosby-Eberle
Stamkos-Toews-Giroux
E. Staal-J. Staal-Nash
Richards-Bergeron-Perry

I'm not really good at putting teams together, I just use my favourite players

Old
01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
I don't know, Carey had his chance this year to play at the Worlds to prove himself but he didn't go, Ward did and Hockey Canada will remember that. At this point I wouldn't put Carey in since adjusting to the different angles and the movements and reactions might take a while whereas Ward will know what to expect.
He played amazing in the 2007 world juniors in Leksand Sweden so he shouldn't really have a problem with the big ice, and I think he is a better goalie than Ward. I hope not going to the Worlds doesn't dampen Hockey Canada's views on Price. I'd hate for politics to get in the way of talent. Carey Price is the one goalie in Canada that is inspiring the next generation of goaltenders in Canada. I think it is absolutely pivotal that he becomes the goalie for Team Canada and I'm a leafs fan.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
He played amazing in the 2007 world juniors in Leksand Sweden so he shouldn't really have a problem with the big ice, and I think he is a better goalie than Ward. I hope not going to the Worlds doesn't dampen Hockey Canada's views on Price. I'd hate for politics to get in the way of talent. Carey Price is the one goalie in Canada that is inspiring the next generation of goaltenders in Canada. I think it is absolutely pivotal that he becomes the goalie for Team Canada and I'm a leafs fan.
Totally in agreement that Price is the better goalie and his size would also help to block some pucks others might not be able too and as well the ability to move the puck by playing it behind the net which he's a master off and also superior then Ward. Really hope his progression moves to a point where they have no choice but to take him and this season will be crucial to that. He has to take that next step now!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Totally in agreement that Price is the better goalie and his size would also help to block some pucks others might not be able too and as well the ability to move the puck by playing it behind the net which he's a master off and also superior then Ward. Really hope his progression moves to a point where they have no choice but to take him and this season will be crucial to that. He has to take that next step now!
Agreed.

(My god, I'm agreeing with a habs fan )

Old
01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
My team after a few months of thought.

Tavares Crosby Eberle
Hall Stamkos Giroux
Nash Toews M. Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Seguin
Perry

Weber Doughty
Pietrangelo Letang
Keith Seabrook
M. Staal

Price
Ward
Luongo
I like this team, and me and you are very similar. However, we differ on Bergeron. He did not have a good tournament in Vancouver. He was terrible in the faceoffs, had his minutes drastically cut, had Crosby removed from his line, and was invisible most of the time. He contributed nothing offensively and was lacklustre defensively. I have others ahead of him. He was a major disappointment in Vancouver, and on the big ice, i would go in an another direction for Sochi.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 AM
cpsman

*HOMER ALERT*

Total oilers homerism here, but would love to see a "Hall - Nugent Hopkins - Eberle" line. Doubt it happens though as there are too many solid Canadian forwards to take three oilers. But it could be like the Marleau - Thornton - Heatley line of 2010

Nash Crosby Tavares
Staal Stamkos Giroux
Spezza Toews Neal
Hall Nugent-Hopkins Eberle

Weber Doughty
Pietrangelo Letang
Keith Seabrook

Price
Ward
Luongo

Realistically, 2 of Thornton, Perry, Richards, Seguin will take two of those roster spots.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Tavares Crosby Perry
Giroux Stamkos Eberle
Nash Toews Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Iginla
Benn

Keith Doughty
Hamhuis Weber
Pietrangelo Letang
Seabrook

Price
Luongo (Think he starts like Brodeur did in 2010)
Ward

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 01-10-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 12:55 AM
startainfection

ughh so many combinations that are just ridiculous to even imagine playing competitive hockey together

Old
01-08-2013, 01:51 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

what are people's thoughts re: goal. keep in mind Hockey Canada is objective about things. I'm assuming, although regretting, that Hockey Canada will likely name Luongo as the #1 goalie and then let him lose the job - with Price second in line.

leaving aside your personal thoughts about what should happen - what do people think the reality of our goalie situation is likely to be?

Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I like this team, and me and you are very similar. However, we differ on Bergeron. He did not have a good tournament in Vancouver. He was terrible in the faceoffs, had his minutes drastically cut, had Crosby removed from his line, and was invisible most of the time. He contributed nothing offensively and was lacklustre defensively. I have others ahead of him. He was a major disappointment in Vancouver, and on the big ice, i would go in an another direction for Sochi.
Re: Bergeron - Its been documented that he had an injured groin (IIRC) going into the 2010 Olympics, then injured his wrist in the first game. He actually missed quite a bit of time immediately after the Olympics. I agree with you that he was simply not good at all in Vancouver, for the reasons you mentioned above. I saw Yzerman's point in selecting him for the team in 2010, but can admit that he was a bit of a "reach" for that team and probably should have been replaced before the tournament since he wasn't 100%.

Still, he's a much better player now than he was even in 2009-2010, Canada's best defensive forward (with potential for offensive production), best RH'ed faceoff, outstanding on the PK, and has excelled in some huge playoff games since then. If Yzerman is looking to bring a defensive-oriented forward to Sochi, then we have no one better than Bergeron.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

St. Louis - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Ladd - Duchene - Smyth
Doan - Spezza - Morrow

Pronger - Bouwmeester
Green - Phaneuf
Burns - Schenn

Brodeur
Luongo

Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Staal Crosby Stamkos
Nash Toews Giroux
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Tavares Bergeron Eberle
Skinner

Keith Weber
Bouwmeester Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo
Letang

Ward
Fleury
Luongo

What do you guys think?
From one Habs fan to another, you need to get Price in there! Luongo may get the initial starting job based on his experience with Hockey Canada, but Price will be at worst our #2 goaltender by 2014 and a pretty sure bet to take the reins if Luongo proves that he can't get the job done. I also can't envision Bouwmeester there, nor Phaneuf - get Seabrook and one of Staal/Hamhuis in there to round out a very solid D group.

Up-front, we have better options than Skinner - Seguin and Mike Richards, to name just a few. And, the jury is out on Getzlaf - he needs to return to form to earn a spot amongst our very deep center group.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
St. Louis - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Ladd - Duchene - Stewart
Smyth - Spezza - Morrow

Pronger - Bouwmeester
Green - Phaneuf
Burns - Schenn

Brodeur
Luongo
LOL - assuming you're Swedish, I'm sure you'd love to see us field this team.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

knowning hockey canada they love their vets.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
As 86Habs already said, there are two big factors here. Bergeron was injured in 2010, and he's a superior player now than he was at that time. I was quite displeased with his selection and his play in 2010, particularly the ridiculous talk of chemistry with Crosby based on 6 games 5 years prior, but he's earned serious consideration.

I forgot to mention this in my projected roster post, but I am warming up to the idea of Martin St. Louis somewhat. If some of the young guys like Hall/Seguin disappoint this year and St. Louis is over one ppg yet again, I could see him getting a top 6 spot next to Stamkos. Good skater, good defensively, not a likely pick but I think that I had prematurely written him off.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I forgot to mention this in my projected roster post, but I am warming up to the idea of Martin St. Louis somewhat. If some of the young guys like Hall/Seguin disappoint this year and St. Louis is over one ppg yet again, I could see him getting a top 6 spot next to Stamkos. Good skater, good defensively, not a likely pick but I think that I had prematurely written him off.
I haven't considered MSL in my projected roster solely due to the fact that he didn't make the 2010 team, despite being in the top-5 in NHL scoring at the time the rosters were announced, and showing great chemistry with Stamkos, who was himself well on the way to a Rocket Richard trophy that year. I remember wanting MSL on the 2010 team, but didn't realize at the time the magnitude of Yzerman's strategic shift in constructing that roster, with size, forechecking, and puck possession abilities prevailing over speed. My thought process may be a bit short-sighted, though.

Obviously things will be different on the international ice, and I'm certainly giving Yzerman the benefit of the doubt in that he'll construct a roster appropriate for the larger ice surface. Not sure if I'd personally have MSL on my roster for 2014 at this point, mainly because he's getting long in the tooth (probably a bad reason, I admit) and some others have probably passed him, but I am a proponent of the executive / management team taking the necessary steps to quickly establish chemistry. We'll be looking to Stamkos to carry much of the offensive load for us in Sochi, and it would be worth it in my view to at least consider taking a guy who he's very comfortable and has chemistry with in order to get him up-and-running in that role quickly. We wouldn't lose anything defensively either, over a guy like, say, Perry. That line of thinking certainly helped us in 2010, with the Sharks line performing very well for us at the onset of the tournament.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
hersky77

Quote:
I don't know, Carey had his chance this year to play at the Worlds to prove himself but he didn't go, Ward did and Hockey Canada will remember that. At this point I wouldn't put Carey in since adjusting to the different angles and the movements and reactions might take a while whereas Ward will know what to expect. But Yes, Price could very well be number one but a lot depends on his performance this season, he has to prove it in the big games now.
The only reason he did not go to the worlds was because he was diagnosed with a concussion towards the end of the year. He would have been there if he was not hurt. I can guarantee you that he will be on this team and he will be starting by the latest game number two.

Plus hes played on international ice in 2007 so the angles should not be a problem for him

Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Phaneuf was on the 2007 World Championship Gold Medal team as well as the number one defenseman at the 2011 WC and along with Keith and Bouwmeester were the top dmen for Canada in 2012 barely being on the ice for any goals against. A 6'4 presence on the wing can be absolutely dynamic as Staalzy showed in 2010. The chemistry he had with Sid was really something as the tourney progressed. Getzlaf might be a ? on this board but people who know what they're watching know that a player like him can't be replaced. Just watch the worlds last year and witness how many shifts he was dominating with his size and strength and faceoff presence as well as the chemistry with Perry will be a boost right away like in 2010. If Marty performs then sure why not but I think still think experience on larger ice is key which Ward has plenty off and it'll help him adjust quicker to the short tournament.
I was talking about Price.

Closed Thread