HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Nihiliste

vCash: 500
I find that hard to believe somehow that RoR would want to play in Russia to the point that he would price himself out of the NHL. Just doesn't seem to fit with anything he's done in the past.

To me I feel like I would believe it more if they reported that he had signed a 2 year/5 mil total deal, if he expects to demand > 5mil a year from the Avs then he's crazy.

It's an unconfirmed tweet from an already questionable source so I'll wait and see how this plays out.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I find that hard to believe somehow that RoR would want to play in Russia to the point that he would price himself out of the NHL. Just doesn't seem to fit with anything he's done in the past.

To me I feel like I would believe it more if they reported that he had signed a 2 year/5 mil total deal, if he expects to demand > 5mil a year from the Avs then he's crazy.

It's an unconfirmed tweet from an already questionable source so I'll wait and see how this plays out.
I agree, I wasn't backing up what Eurolanche had tweeted, just passing the info along.

But there is no denying that it will truly be an interesting next few days as the CBA gets ratified and teams are allowed to negotiate/sign players to contracts.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I play hockey with Ryan and Cal O'Reilly's uncle and apparently he got huge money to play in Magnitogorsk and loves being there with his older brother. He said he wasn't sure whether or not he's coming back, but apparently he's getting paid more money to play there than what Colorado's offering here and his salary is completely tax free.
I hooked up with Kessel's girlfriend's hair stylist and she told me that he demanded a trade to Colorado to play with his good friends Staz and EJ and pay lower American tax rates.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I agree, I wasn't backing up what Eurolanche had tweeted, just passing the info along.

But there is no denying that it will truly be an interesting next few days as the CBA gets ratified and teams are allowed to negotiate/sign players to contracts.
Yup I'm really curious to see how things play out.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Well, Eurolanche is reporting the following

Yes, I realize that it's unconfirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that Radar's deal is close to these numbers. And if so, then like you said Bender...it could be a problem.
Unlikely. Unless RoR or his agent TOLD Eurolanche how much he's making, there's no way they got that kind of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Lets be honest here guys management were probably low balling him hard after seeing the deals Johnson and Duchene signed. The guy deserves minimum 4 million IMO if guys like David Jones and Parentau are getting paid that much. My guess is we sign him for 4.25 per for 3-4 yrs
I agree with this and it's probably accurate. They were probably trying to sign him for $3M or less when he's worth more than that despite 'only' have 1 breakout season. I think the Avs will get creative here and try to sign him up for LONG TERM for more money than they'll like on the short-term but it will end up being a steal in later years of the deal. (That's what I'd offer anyways $4MX8 or even $4.5MX8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Yeah true i think we'll see them spending much more now since theres no more uncertainty surrounding the cap limits for the upcoming years. We'll be big spenders this summer.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Ryan O'Reilly+ for Victor Hedman

I wish
That's a deal I'd be on board with!! I don't think Tampa is trading LeCavalier though and with Stamkos already, not sure it makes sense for them to add O'Reilly but for sure Hedman would be incredible on this team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
You'll care when the cap comes down and Stastny, Duchene, Landeskog, Varlamov, McGinn, and Downie all become free agents after next season.

I love having O'Reilly on this team but 5M/yr for a guy who has had one good season in the NHL? No thanks. Personally I don't believe that rumour and I think he'll probably get around 4M or a bit less but I'd trade him before giving him 5M/yr. That's ridiculous.
Yeah, he hasn't earned $5M yet no matter which way you slice it.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
O'Reilly started to negotiate with Magnitogorsk in September and signed in December. It would make no sense for it to take that long unless he wanted to ensure he could go back to NHL.

At least we'll find out how things are sooner rather than later.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
O'Reilly started to negotiate with Magnitogorsk in September and signed in December. It would make no sense for it to take that long unless he wanted to ensure he could go back to NHL.

At least we'll find out how things are sooner rather than later.
Maybe his agent is just really, REALLY S-L-O-W...

Old
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
smitty10

Quote:
I hooked up with Kessel's girlfriend's hair stylist and she told me that he demanded a trade to Colorado to play with his good friends Staz and EJ and pay lower American tax rates.
If you guys would like, I'll just not say anything then. I was just trying to give some information that I thought you guys may want to know.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
If you guys would like, I'll just not say anything then. I was just trying to give some information that I thought you guys may want to know.
No we appreciate that you tell us what you know, but I think you can imagine that what you say might sound far fetched (I don't think it is, but I can see why people are skeptical).

Please tell us if you find out more.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:38 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Why are you guys being such dicks to the Leafs fan? Smitty, please come back if you have more info.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:45 PM
chet1926

Quote:

You can't let a couple people who think they know everything about everything bother you.

I believe you. Thanks for sharing your info. If you hear anything else I would enjoy hearing it.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Nihiliste

What he says may be true, or it may not. It's just not really a tenable source.

People here have been familiar with TPS for many years, and the information he provides generally checks out, and as such we take his information at face value. But even then, there's only so much you can rely on such information - TPS believed that a deal was close between the two sides before things were put on hold, and yet here we are many months later wondering when Ryan is going to come back from Magnitogorsk and how the Avs are going to handle negotiations with him.

There is obviously a limit to the accuracy of any second or third hand information you get over an anonymous internet forum. Forgive me for wanting to hear something from any of the several official parties involved before coming to any conclusions.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
No we appreciate that you tell us what you know, but I think you can imagine that what you say might sound far fetched (I don't think it is, but I can see why people are skeptical).

Please tell us if you find out more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Why are you guys being such dicks to the Leafs fan? Smitty, please come back if you have more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
You can't let a couple people who think they know everything about everything bother you.

I believe you. Thanks for sharing your info. If you hear anything else I would enjoy hearing it.
Thanks guys. I just PMed Avs poster RockLobster and I'll relay any future information that I can get through him. It'll likely be more accepted on here if it's posted by a fellow Avs fan.

Anyways, Ryan's uncle hadn't heard anything since the lockout's ended. I'm going to try and get out to shinny tomorrow night, however if I can't then I'll likely go Thursday and see him then. I'll update RockLobster when I speak to him next if there's anything you guys would find interesting. Or if there are any posters living in or near the Durham region of Ontario that play hockey I can give you the time and place where this shinny is and they can go and talk to him.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Freaky Styley

Just pay him what he wants. He is the type of player you win Cups with and good for him for being aware of this.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

How come ROR's stats aren't on hockeydb, but Malkin's are?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
How come ROR's stats aren't on hockeydb, but Malkin's are?
I don't know but you can find his stats here

http://avalanchedb.com/system/systemstats.php

Old
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Mant*

If some of the people in this thread were the Avs' GM... we'd be sitting at the cap ceiling with our current crappy roster.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Dude, so did I, and she told em "I'm the one".
Gutted. Floozy

Old
01-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
If some of the people in this thread were the Avs' GM... we'd be sitting at the cap ceiling with our current crappy roster.
Would we still have finished 20th, 28th & 29th three out of our last four years?

Old
01-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Would we still have finished 20th, 28th & 29th three out of our last four years?
If we were overpaying our current roster?

Old
01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Are you seriously implying that if we payed the SAME guys more money we'd have done differently?

Old
01-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Are you seriously implying that if we payed the SAME guys more money we'd have done differently?
Oh Contrare.....we'd still be sitting exactly where we are regardless of the amount we spend. I'm implying our roster is average.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Whether O'Reilly is being paid nicely or not in Russia, he'll be back with the team. You guys worry way too much.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
cgf

Factor's just waiting to see if he can get Varly to join his team in Russia.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Whether O'Reilly is being paid nicely or not in Russia, he'll be back with the team. You guys worry way too much.
There is no question in my mind that he will be back with the team, the question is for how long will he be with the Avs?

He is a valuable trade piece for the Avs, and honestly, one that is somewhat expendable with Duchene and Stastny around (who can be a serviceable to good 1-2 punch depending on which Duchene plays). Granted I'd rather trade Stastny, but from a business perspective Stastny might be easier to deal with, and ROR might get more in a trade as he is still a RFA and young. This doesn't mention the fact that we have two players who might develop into second line centers in the system, and if we are just looking for a third line center we have plenty of options that could step in this year. I won't be one bit surprised if O'Reilly is packaged with Barrie or Elliot to upgrade our defense and pick up a serviceable third line center.

Closed Thread