HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if we struggle this year

Old
01-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i believe stevens system was referred to as "what the hell is going on? where am i?"
I fit well into Stevens' system when I drink

He should sign me

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Well, I will say that last season he should have adjusted to having a much weaker defensive group of forwards and not played as much of the up tempo game that he likes.

Honestly I can't see this season being much better "defensively".
Yeah, that should have happened. He kinda did it in March when the defense was extra-injured, but it either wasn't enough or the AHL replacements were just really bad because Bryz got shelled. Probably both.

01-08-2013, 12:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Something closer to what Hitchcock uses.
Talk about shelf life coaches. I was so happy that lard butt was fired and his "system" while netting him a cup like Lavy wears on players. I wouldn't use him as an example of something better..at least not in a sustainable sense.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
But they did make it in, because they did score enough.

And they did have Quick and made the playoffs.

If it wasn't for Leighton standing on his head, we don't make the playoffs either, but we did because Leighton played a huge part in the last 30 or so games. He played very well in the playoffs. I don't judge him on one bad goal, or even a few games. His body of work that season was stellar.
Leighton didn't stand on his head. Our defense did because they knew any shot could go into the net at any time. He was very sheltered.

When he got hurt Boucher came in and continued the push...the team was playing such good defense it didn't matter who was in net. Let's not forget it was Boosh who actually got us into the playoffs and was in net when we beat NJ. Our goalies weren't the reason for the success.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Well, I will say that last season he should have adjusted to having a much weaker defensive group of forwards and not played as much of the up tempo game that he likes.

Honestly I can't see this season being much better "defensively".
Great point. The up tempo style just made guys like Briere, Simmonds, and G look horrible trying to back check from way out of position because of the need to try and score 350 goals.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
But they did make it in, because they did score enough.

And they did have Quick and made the playoffs.

If it wasn't for Leighton standing on his head, we don't make the playoffs either, but we did because Leighton played a huge part in the last 30 or so games. He played very well in the playoffs. I don't judge him on one bad goal, or even a few games. His body of work that season was stellar.
Im not putting the kings down at all, but there is more than one way to win. Whether Lavy does that we don't know yet.

As far as Leighton he was, is, and always will be an absolutely terrible goaltender. The defense was playing better during that short time than they have since the previous lockout. Leighton gave up huge rebound after huge rebound that would have been buried if the whole team wasn't clearing pucks like crazy. Dude is garbage and shouldn't ever be on and NHL roster, even as a backup.

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:10 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I fit well into Stevens' system when I drink

He should sign me
you would have, but unfortunately for your NHL career, he recently changed his approach to the infamous "oh, am i the coach?" system...

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Yeah, that should have happened. He kinda did it in March when the defense was extra-injured, but it either wasn't enough or the AHL replacements were just really bad because Bryz got shelled. Probably both.
Honestly, I don't see it getting better this year.

Briere sucks hard, Giroux isn't very good, but he tries. Maybe Schenn1 is better this year, is he 2nd line C or is it Briere? Is Couts 3rd line C now?

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FLYERSFAN18

I don't care what system we use. I just want a Cup already

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Definitely Lavy is going to have to adjust but if you recall at the end of the season when Holmgren kind of suggested as much Lavy was kind of reticent. Forget his exact words but basically he said he will live and die by his system.....I mean I just saw him on CSN and he said one of the things he's looking forward to is the fact that most of the team is back and that they know his system. However, they (the players) are not only going to have to know it but continue to believe in it.......

Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

Briere sucks hard, Giroux isn't very good, but he tries. Maybe Schenn1 is better this year, is he 2nd line C or is it Briere? Is Couts 3rd line C now?
i wouldn't say that Giroux isn't very good defensively. He's not a selke candidate, but he has the ability to step up his game in essentially any situation when he's on his game. Giroux is also a pretty good shorthanded attacker, so that has to count for something. Those of us who have played hockey know how difficult it is to read plays and turn them into scoring chances on the PK...

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

Briere got experience on the wing in Germany and he was successful there, albeit in a lower league. Time to make the move.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Great point. The up tempo style just made guys like Briere, Simmonds, and G look horrible trying to back check from way out of position because of the need to try and score 350 goals.
Where we got KILLED was in transition. Forward bailing out to start the rush, D turns it over...its utt-ohh time.

We just really got hurt losing a great 2 way D man with Pronger going out. Mez, Carle, Coburn can't remotely play as well as he can with the puck. Mez needs to REALLY not take risky plays that take him out of the play this year.

And Briere straight up just watches the play in the D end. I can't see how someone SOOO good with the stick can be so useless in his own end.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Definitely Lavy is going to have to adjust but if you recall at the end of the season when Holmgren kind of suggested as much Lavy was kind of reticent. Forget his exact words but basically he said he will live and die by his system.....I mean I just saw him on CSN and he said one of the things he's looking forward to is the fact that most of the team is back and that they know his system. However, they (the players) are not only going to have to know it but continue to believe in it.......
Having a strong, consistent goaltender will be a must.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i wouldn't say that Giroux isn't very good defensively. He's not a selke candidate, but he has the ability to step up his game in essentially any situation when he's on his game. Giroux is also a pretty good shorthanded attacker, so that has to count for something. Those of us who have played hockey know how difficult it is to read plays and turn them into scoring chances on the PK...
Thats kind of what I meant, he's not a selke guy, but he tries...

Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Im not putting the kings down at all, but there is more than one way to win. Whether Lavy does that we don't know yet.

As far as Leighton he was, is, and always will be an absolutely terrible goaltender. The defense was playing better during that short time than they have since the previous lockout. Leighton gave up huge rebound after huge rebound that would have been buried if the whole team wasn't clearing pucks like crazy. Dude is garbage and shouldn't ever be on and NHL roster, even as a backup.
If we have a regular season like the last few under Lavy, with a lot of up and down the ice pond hockey and a respectable seeding for the playoffs, Lavy shouldn't keep his job if it ends like the last two years have. (NJ & BOS series)

If it does, it just further validates the fact that 2010 was an aberration, and Lavy's style can't win low scoring tight checking playoff style hockey.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This is the thing people don't realize....we have a D that doesn't really fit Lavy's system. They went and got some more stay at home types to help Bryz out and we lost Carle who logged a ton of minutes and carried the puck well regardless of the fact he would have his gaffe turnovers and couldn't break an egg with his shot. People hated him and I wasn't his biggest fan but he fit Lavy's system. Moreover, our D has like ZERO threats from the point besides Mesz and Timonen. I know Couturier has been playing the point with the Phantoms as a possible prelude but it won't be enough. The problem last year when we played really good D teams like the Rangers and NJ was that they collapsed on our offensive players b/c we had nobody back on D to keep them honest. Flyers did NOTHING to address this deficiency...NOTHING. Schenn is not a solution and neither is Gervais despite his Right handed shot.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Having a strong, consistent goaltender will be a must.
This is true Boucher and Leighton ruined 2010.
Boucher and Bob absolutely destroyed any chance in 2011

Old
01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
If we have a regular season like the last few under Lavy, with a lot of up and down the ice pond hockey and a respectable seeding for the playoffs, Lavy shouldn't keep his job if it ends like the last two years have. (NJ & BOS series)

If it does, it just further validates the fact that 2010 was an aberration, and Lavy's style can't win low scoring tight checking playoff style hockey.
I agree with this. If we lose it better be with us playing solid hockey. If not and its this crazy stuff that happens every year he should be gone unfortunately

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
This is the thing people don't realize....we have a D that doesn't really fit Lavy's system. They went and got some more stay at home types to help Bryz out and we lost Carle who logged a ton of minutes and carried the puck well regardless of the fact he would have his gaffe turnovers and couldn't break an egg with his shot. People hated him and I wasn't his biggest fan but he fit Lavy's system. Moreover, out D has like ZERO threats from the point besides Mesz and Timonen. I know Couturier has been playing the point with the Phantoms as a possible prelude but it won't be enough. The problem last year when we played really good D teams like the Rangers and NJ was that they collapsed on our offensive players b/c we had nobody back on D to keep them honest. Flyers did NOTHING to address this deficiency...NOTHING. Schenn is not a solution and neither is Gervais despite his Right handed shot.
Yup.

Can Coburn and Mez pick it up...thats a big key to the season.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Yup.

Can Coburn and Mez pick it up...thats a big key to the season.
A big IF! Also at the end of the season they asked Lavy why he couldn't beat the Rangers....he got kind of annoyed. He didn't really have an answer.....he better have one!

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
A big IF! Also at the end of the season they asked Lavy why he couldn't beat the Rangers....he got kind of annoyed. He didn't really have an answer.....he better have one!
As I recall we would have beaten them a few times if our goaltending had held steady. Let's hope that happens this year, we owe them a sweep. It's unacceptable to lose that many games in division

Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I'd be annoyed 2. We really just got shelled in 2 of those games.

We were in close games with them for the rest.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
MsWoof

Quote:

In 2010 we had Richards, Carter, Powe, Lappy and Betts. Those 5 were excellent defensive forwards. With all 5 gone the defense as a whole took a huge hit. Even Carcillo was good defensively when he played with Lappy and Betts.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
As I recall we would have beaten them a few times if our goaltending had held steady. Let's hope that happens this year, we owe them a sweep. It's unacceptable to lose that many games in division
Especially in a shortened season with massive interdivisional play we will be seeing......honestly I think Bryz and Lavy are going to have to form a pact to save each other's jobs.....