HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Training Camp: Day 2 Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 AM
thecupismine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
I'm hearing former #blackhawks #wild #oilers d-man Cam Barker may get a try out at #canucks training camp to earn a 7 or 8 blueline spot.
Interesting player for the number 8 spot. He hasn't performed well over the last couple years, but a training camp at the number 8 spot wouldn't harm us.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:03 AM
RespectYourEdlers

OMG we got the player after drafted Ovechkin and Malkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 AM
JerkChicken

I'm still hoping for Jim Vandermeer.

I would WAY rather have him to inject toughness into the lineup when needed than someone like Barker. He's a perfect depth D-man IMO.

Barker got cut by the Texas Stars. No, not the Dallas Stars. The TEXAS Stars.

Aka: An AHL team didn't feel he was up to par.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 AM
kthsn

Quote:
I'm hearing former #blackhawks #wild #oilers d-man Cam Barker may get a try out at #canucks training camp to earn a 7 or 8 blueline spot.
Hopefully he makes it. Having an OFD as a #7/8 is a good option, he can basically be our (poor man's) version of Franson.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:07 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
You guys seem to forget how much Gillis & AV like competition at training camps.

Manny Legace
Owen Nolan
Peter Schaefer
....etc
Exactly what I'm thinking. Probably just want players to push the ones on the bubble or on the lower lines to perform, or they may lose a spot.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Hopefully he makes it. Having an OFD as a #7/8 is a good option, he can basically be our (poor man's) version of Franson.
you mean like gragnani

Old
01-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
you mean like gragnani
Watching Gragnani on the powerplay was perplexing.

"What is he doing"

"Why is he there"

"Oh god, who's manning the point"

Old
01-08-2013, 12:11 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Just came to post this. Interesting... not sure he's the type of D man we need.
He's not the type of D man any team needs, he's one of the worst players in the league, he's terrible in every way.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
you mean like gragnani
Yes, exactly. The only reason why Gragnani wasn't retained was because he was asking for a raise.

I don't see that problem with Barker (if he proves himself).

Old
01-08-2013, 12:15 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Remember when we acquired Ballard?

It was for Cover if we couldn't get Hamhuis.

IMO its now imperative to keep for cover in case Edler walks.
Ballard is cover for nothing.

He's a #6 defender who's capable of chewing up 14-15 minutes/game with mediocre defensive play and no offensive production.

He's a dime-a-dozen asset that can be easily replaced at $1 million on the UFA market and upgraded on at $2 million. Why the hell would we spend $4.25 million on this player if we can avoid it?

It's like saying that Max Lapierre is good cover for Ryan Kesler, so Lapierre at $5 million is thus a good investment. It doesn't compute.

Quote:
God forbid.

Awful, awful player. Dumb as a sack of hammers. Incapable of playing defense in the NHL in any role.

Is still living off the one mirage season he had about 5 years ago where Chicago used him on the #1 PP unit (to give the Seabrook-Keith pairing more rest) and he scored 30 points on the PP that year because of the players surrounding him.

Has been an utter liability 5-on-5 through his entire career, and is a totally useless sack of crap. Any pro scout who recommends bringing this guy to camp should be sacked immediately for being utterly incompetent.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Luck was under the impression/misleading details from TSN that there were no cap ramifications. But there are based on Lebrun's article. The originating team would carry up to 50% of the player's cap. Meaning we would be on the hook for $2.1M if we agreed under these terms in a trade. That's just not feasible based on the cap next season and what we need to do next year.

That option, from what i can see, offers no benefits to us in this Ballard situation.

I agree with MS. Ballard has not been and is not good value for us moving beyond this season. I'd prefer to take advantage of an organization that currently has a weakness and that would have a need for Ballard. Ottawa needs Dmen and has mountains of cap space. Ottawa has many prospects that we could benefit from and we'd get rid of Ballard who might just fit their system in a way he never did here.
I want to wait on the full details on this before commenting too thoroughly regarding Ballard. I'm still insure whether retained salary and cap hit need to be the same pourcentage or if a variance can exist. I have to say, the intrigue surrounding this new CBA function would greatly increase of there could be a variance, teams could really get creative and smart minds could gain a competitive advantage. I'm likely grasping at straws here what with that article, but as of right now I question whether or not the media really has any answers on salary retention yet, because every report seems vague at best.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
crazycanuck

Cam Barker has a very intriguing upside and skillset, I totally understand why Gillis and Co. are willing to give up a shot at camp.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Cam Barker has a very intriguing upside and skillset, I totally understand why Gillis and Co. are willing to give up a shot at camp.
... I would like you to elaborate on that.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

He's a #6 defender who's capable of chewing up 14-15 minutes/game with mediocre defensive play and no offensive production.

He's a dime-a-dozen asset that can be easily replaced at $1 million on the UFA market and upgraded on at $2 million. Why the hell would we spend $4.25 million on this player if we can avoid it?

It's like saying that Max Lapierre is good cover for Ryan Kesler, so Lapierre at $5 million is thus a good investment. It doesn't compute.

God forbid.

Awful, awful player. Dumb as a sack of hammers. Incapable of playing defense in the NHL in any role.

Is still living off the one mirage season he had about 5 years ago where Chicago used him on the #1 PP unit (to give the Seabrook-Keith pairing more rest) and he scored 30 points on the PP that year because of the players surrounding him.

Has been an utter liability 5-on-5 through his entire career, and is a totally useless sack of crap. Any pro scout who recommends bringing this guy to camp should be sacked immediately for being utterly incompetent.
No risk with giving him a look. Come on man. Pull it together.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Watching Gragnani on the powerplay was perplexing.

"What is he doing"

"Why is he there"

"Oh god, who's manning the point"

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:

God forbid.

Somewhere a Canuck scout and Barker are crying..

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
No risk with giving him a look. Come on man. Pull it together.
He's an utterly hopeless player who belongs nowhere near an NHL rink. No quality organization should be giving this guy any sort of a look.

He's a pylon who is clueless defensively, butter-soft, and has completely lost the offensive ability he once showed as a teenager. 8 points in 23 AHL games this season. Just a dumb, dumb, dumb player.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Yuck. I'm pretty sure he was essentially cut from the Texas Stars this year, although they simply didn't renew his PTO.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Canucker

Quote:
He's an utterly hopeless player who belongs nowhere near an NHL rink. No quality organization should be giving this guy any sort of a look.

He's a pylon who is clueless defensively, butter-soft, and has completely lost the offensive ability he once showed as a teenager. 8 points in 23 AHL games this season. Just a dumb, dumb, dumb player.
But what do you REALLY think of him?

I tend to agree...if the idea is to bring him in to make our forwards look good in scrimmages, he's ideal.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:34 AM
JerkChicken

Barker no es bueno.

http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...arker-from-pto

Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I want to wait on the full details on this before commenting too thoroughly regarding Ballard. I'm still insure whether retained salary and cap hit need to be the same pourcentage or if a variance can exist. I have to say, the intrigue surrounding this new CBA function would greatly increase of there could be a variance, teams could really get creative and smart minds could gain a competitive advantage. I'm likely grasping at straws here what with that article, but as of right now I question whether or not the media really has any answers on salary retention yet, because every report seems vague at best.
The variance is a good point, I had not thought of that as a possibility. Would definitely help us in sending him to the Islanders, for example. They get a $3.2mil cap hit, let's say, which is great for a team trying to stay about the salary floor. They only have to pay him $2.1mil, a great bargain, and the sort of thing the NYI actively seek out. In doing this, they may in fact give us decent value back, which is gravy if we have to dump Ballard for cap reasons.

No idea how likely variance in this case is, but it's an interesting thought.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
... I would like you to elaborate on that.
He hasn't found his game in the NHL, he's got good skating, and a good pass, but has struggled with confidence and consistency since leaving Jr.

People screaming bloody murder over a potential try out need to calm down. Best case scenario he outplays Alberts and is the 7th defenseman. Chill guys chill.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:41 AM
JerkChicken

Quote:
People screaming bloody murder over a potential try out need to calm down. Best case scenario he outplays Alberts and is the 7th defenseman. Chill guys chill.
I'm fine with an invite to camp...but NOT at the expense of Jim Vandermeer.

Vandermeer is an ideal depth option for the Canucks. Solid veteran player, and tough as nails.

Barker is... well, he just got released by an AHL team.

To recap: Invite = Fine

Invite at the expense of Vandermeer = Me screaming bloody murder

Old
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
jammyrft

Quote:
He hasn't found his game in the NHL, he's got good skating, and a good pass, but has struggled with confidence and consistency since leaving Jr.

But the point is why bother? He's simply not good enough to make our squad. I agree with the poster above if you're looking for an 8th defenseman...I'd rather have someone at least bring some toughness into a team that severely lacks it.

If I have to choose Barker or Vandermeer I'd take V

Old
01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think its clear as day in the article and example linked. We'd be on the hook for the 50% of the cap hit, 2.1M. That is a cap ramification and is a no go. We want Ballard off the salary cap books, zero liability. The only way to do that is to trade him and his full salary+cap hit or buy him out.

Closed Thread