HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
BoHorvatFan

vCash: 500
Franson has never played anywehre above 6/7 minutes on the Leafs of Preds and someone wants that defensive liability in our top 4? All he has is a shot that's it, he's awful.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Someone threw a Kadri+Connolly+Biggs+Franson for Luongo and Lapierre. A quantity deal I would make, with Lapierre negotiated out and something lesser in his place.

Holding the fort before Kesler's return:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Connolly - Hansen
Kadri - Schroeder - Higgins
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Franson
Garrison - Tanev

After Kesler returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Kadri/Schroeder - Connolly - Hansen/Kassian
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian/Hansen

Raymond and Ballard traded for prospects to stock up the farm and fill organizational weaknesses. Done and done.
Connolly is soft, and not 2C calibre on the Leafs, let alone the Canucks. Kadri probably wouldn't even make the Canucks honestly, if we got him this season. He definitely would not be playing with Schroeder on the third line either. Hard to see Franson play top four minutes over Garrison; he can barely make it on the Leafs roster right now.

Would not even consider this deal, honestly.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Glad you're not in a position of power with the Canucks because that's a very very crappy trade.
Could be. I just want this debacle to end, I think I've seen 1 Toronto game in the last few years so obviously I have no clue. Give me better ideas to endorse people, something new, something borrowed, something whatever works!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Could be. I just want this debacle to end, I think I've seen 1 Toronto game in the last few years so obviously I have no clue. Give me better ideas to endorse people, something new, something borrowed, something whatever works!
How about we just drop the Leaf discussions for a while? There's been over 400 pages of them.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Someone threw a Kadri+Connolly+Biggs+Franson for Luongo and Lapierre. A quantity deal I would make, with Lapierre negotiated out and something lesser in his place.

Holding the fort before Kesler's return:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Connolly - Hansen
Kadri - Schroeder - Higgins
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Franson
Garrison - Tanev

After Kesler returns:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Kadri/Schroeder - Connolly - Hansen/Kassian
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian/Hansen

Raymond and Ballard traded for prospects to stock up the farm and fill organizational weaknesses. Done and done.
Too much quantity. Cut it down to Kulemin+Biggs+Kadri+Finn for Lu+Raymond

Old
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
JVR is the only forward on the Leafs who's ideal for the Canucks. Too bad he won't be moved! I think I'm just gonna hope Weiss+ is the return for Luongo.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Too much quantity. Cut it down to Kulemin+Biggs+Kadri+Finn for Lu+Raymond
So essentially Biggs, Kadri and Finn for Luongo? No thanks.

01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Friedman breaks down "cap-recapture system" or penalties involved if Luongo retires before his current contract expires. So it looks like the new CBA doesn't help or hurt his trade value. Am i reading that correctly? Or he goes on LTIR and no one pays any penalties. hah.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...to-luongo.html
Just have a cap floor team pay him $1m to sit in Miami drinking Daiquiries. I'm not sure there is a rule you have to play him, you just have to pay him. In return we/leafs eat a bad $4m contract.

Better to get our pain over quick but a lest we get a player overpaid or not.

The cap floor team saves .4m and dodges 4m under cap.

Last edited by me2: 01-07-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 11:48 PM
PG Canuck

If Weiss is truly unhappy in Florida, I don't think a Weiss+ for Luongo is out of the question, honestly. They have to get something for Weiss if he's going to walk, may as well get a great number one goalie.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Luongo isn't going to be traded until well into the season IMO. Maybe, Burke runs with the impression that VAN has to buy him out at the end of the year... Who knows?

We're in for the long haul I think. Which is ok.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Luongo isn't going to be traded until well into the season IMO. Maybe, Burke runs with the impression that VAN has to buy him out at the end of the year... Who knows?

Im perfectly happy keeping him as well. Unless we get someone that can really improve our forwards this year, we need secondary scoring badly. can't be counting on Raymond and Booth for offense in the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:53 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

And during that time that Burke holds off on pursuing Luongo because he thinks we'll have to buy him out, we'll trade him to Florida.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
And during that time that Burke holds off on pursuing Luongo because he thinks we'll have to buy him out, we'll trade him to Florida.
Burke would introduce a new shade of red to the world if that were to happen. I would be amused.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Burke would introduce a new shade of red to the world if that were to happen. I would be amused.
I'd never stop laughing at my Leafs fan friend.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:05 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
I still think Burke is going to lose out on Luongo because he probably thinks the longer he waits, the better deal he'll get. In the meantime, Florida will be all over MG's case, and they'll figure something out.

I feel Burke will come out looking like an idiot once he misses out on Luongo, and misses the playoffs again.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Canucks currently are missing a 3C so with the addition of Weiss, I would imagine he would be utilized in a third scoring line.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Weiss-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Raymond
Weise
Volpatti

That depth is INSANE.
Insane, but that's what you need to win Cups. The standard should be set this high, IMO.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Insane, but that's what you need to win Cups. The standard should be set this high, IMO.
Looking at the past Cup winning teams, three strong centers seems to be a formula that is really working.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
BoHorvatFan

I love this quote, ''our goaltending is NHL quality goaltending'' by Randy Carlyle...

Nothing says confident more ''just barely good enough to play in the league''

Old
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Proto

I still think there's a decent chance Lindback melts in Tampa and Yzerman comes back with his tail tucked between his legs.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
I love this quote, ''our goaltending is NHL quality goaltending'' by Randy Carlyle...

Nothing says confident more ''just barely good enough to play in the league''
But he has his own clothing line.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
SunshineRays

In addition to Friedmans article about the 'Burke Rule', here's LeBruns breakdown: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

So, the Burke Rule isn't specific to backdiving deals, it's specific to deals that currently have 6+ yrs left. I'm fairly certain 90% of NHL teams have 6+ yr contracts on the books. 50% of league teams have 8+ yr contracts on the books. I can't imagine any of those GMs are going to go quietly into the good night with this rule.

Also, George Richards (Panthers reporter guy) stated Weiss has been tied to rumors with Van/Luongo. I have zero interest in Weiss as he's an upcoming UFA. Why would he want to re-sign with a team when he'll be the 3rd line C? Going from 1c to 3c isn't ideal for any player, now matter how good a team is.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
In addition to Friedmans article about the 'Burke Rule', here's LeBruns breakdown: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

So, the Burke Rule isn't specific to backdiving deals, it's specific to deals that currently have 6+ yrs left. I'm fairly certain 90% of NHL teams have 6+ yr contracts on the books. 50% of league teams have 8+ yr contracts on the books. I can't imagine any of those GMs are going to go quietly into the good night with this rule.

Also, George Richards (Panthers reporter guy) stated Weiss has been tied to rumors with Van/Luongo. I have zero interest in Weiss as he's an upcoming UFA. Why would he want to re-sign with a team when he'll be the 3rd line C? Going from 1c to 3c isn't ideal for any player, now matter how good a team is.
Weiss would essentially be a high end rental player unless he somehow manages to squeeze into the 2nd line:

Booth Weiss Kesler

Otherwise, I'm with you: Weiss is gone come FA day. Maybe flip his rights at the draft, but otherwise not much value other than making a strong push for this season to win it all.

With the age of our core, that's a potential way to go. But at the cost of the best goalie this franchise has ever had... that's a hell of a price to pay.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
If the Canucks get Weiss, you can bet he'll be on the 2nd line, either at wing or with Kesler moving to wing.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I still think there's a decent chance Lindback melts in Tampa and Yzerman comes back with his tail tucked between his legs.
I think there's a very good chance that Lindback melts. If Yzerman were to jump back in, I would start with Connolly + 1st round pick.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If the Canucks get Weiss, you can bet he'll be on the 2nd line, either at wing or with Kesler moving to wing.
Agreed. He would be that top 6 forward that we sorely lack, and could be the mortar that helps the two other bricks on that line to stick together.

Closed Thread