HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
  #401
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,779
vCash: 7611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Weiss would essentially be a high end rental player unless he somehow manages to squeeze into the 2nd line:

Booth Weiss Kesler

Otherwise, I'm with you: Weiss is gone come FA day. Maybe flip his rights at the draft, but otherwise not much value other than making a strong push for this season to win it all.

With the age of our core, that's a potential way to go. But at the cost of the best goalie this franchise has ever had... that's a hell of a price to pay.
It's why you'd want Weiss+ (prospects), so we don't trade Luongo for just a rental.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
  #402
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
It's why you'd want Weiss+ (prospects), so we don't trade Luongo for just a rental.
I would request a day or so to talk to Weiss's agent regarding an extension before pulling the trigger too. Something around $25M/5 years sounds about right to me.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
  #403
ferroid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Weiss would be a rental that I'd be willing to gamble on though, and he would certainly be better than a Bozak-centric deal from Toronto.

ferroid is online now  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
  #404
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,779
vCash: 7611
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would request a day or so to talk to Weiss's agent regarding an extension before pulling the trigger too. Something around $25M/5 years sounds about right to me.
That would be a good idea too. I haven't looked at our cap situation, but would we be able to re-sign Weiss, since we also have to re-sign Edler. I guess Ballard's days as a Canuck would be numbered.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
  #405
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
That would be a good idea too. I haven't looked at our cap situation, but would we be able to re-sign Weiss, since we also have to re-sign Edler. I guess Ballard's days as a Canuck would be numbered.
And I'm perfectly fine with that. I think we would be fine cutting Ballard, and then letting Raymond and Malhotra walk at the end of the season (or even including Raymond in the trade). That right there is almost $9M of cap savings (if Weiss re-signs for $5M/year). Considering we have to cut about $3.5M of cap space from our payroll right this minute, and accounting for Burrows's $2.5M raise, and Edler's anticipated $1.5M raise and adding a couple ELC's to our roster I think we'd be just fine. Would mean no Getzlaf/Perry, but we would still have a contending roster.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
  #406
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

Also, George Richards (Panthers reporter guy) stated Weiss has been tied to rumors with Van/Luongo. I have zero interest in Weiss as he's an upcoming UFA. Why would he want to re-sign with a team when he'll be the 3rd line C? Going from 1c to 3c isn't ideal for any player, now matter how good a team is.
Weiss wouldnt be the 3rd line C. He'd be the 2nd line C or a 2nd line W (which he's accustomed to playing).

Not sure if they could re-sign him but I'd rather have 4-6 months of Weiss over Kadri + Bozak.

It's not even a thought in my mind actually.

And like many have said, if they added it's a no brainer.

LiquidSnake is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
  #407
SunshineRays
Registered User
 
SunshineRays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Weiss would essentially be a high end rental player unless he somehow manages to squeeze into the 2nd line:

Booth Weiss Kesler

Otherwise, I'm with you: Weiss is gone come FA day. Maybe flip his rights at the draft, but otherwise not much value other than making a strong push for this season to win it all.

With the age of our core, that's a potential way to go. But at the cost of the best goalie this franchise has ever had... that's a hell of a price to pay.
Ya, I guess he could flip to wing once Kesler comes back, but he's still a FA in 6 months who'll be looking for a raise on his current $3.1M cap hit. And the would have just traded their #1 goaltender for a guy who might walk in 6 months. It's a bust idea from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If the Canucks get Weiss, you can bet he'll be on the 2nd line, either at wing or with Kesler moving to wing.
Then they'll still be without a 3rd line C. And like I said above, Weiss could walk in 6 months. If he stays, he'll be looking for Booth type $$. They can't afford either to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Weiss wouldnt be the 3rd line C. He'd be the 2nd line C or a 2nd line W (which he's accustomed to playing).

Not sure if they could re-sign him but I'd rather have 4-6 months of Weiss over Kadri + Bozak.

It's not even a thought in my mind actually.

And like many have said, if they added it's a no brainer.
Def not a no brainer to me. Zero interest in rental player for our #1 goaltender.

SunshineRays is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
  #408
luongo321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Weiss wouldnt be the 3rd line C. He'd be the 2nd line C or a 2nd line W (which he's accustomed to playing).

Not sure if they could re-sign him but I'd rather have 4-6 months of Weiss over Kadri + Bozak.

It's not even a thought in my mind actually.

And like many have said, if they added it's a no brainer.
More ice-time than Kadri would ever get on this team.




If he comes here, I just hope he doesn't try to re-sign for a really high cap hit or we'd be in trouble.

luongo321 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
  #409
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
And during that time that Burke holds off on pursuing Luongo because he thinks we'll have to buy him out, we'll trade him to Florida.

Well yeah, _if_ they're interested.


More I think about it, the more it seems Luongo has a real chance of being carried to the deadline. People will try to wait out Gillis.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:01 AM
  #410
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If we acquire Weiss and are able to re-sign him at $5M/year, this realistically could be our roster for 2013-14:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($4.750m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,360,000; BONUSES: $310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $250,000

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:07 AM
  #411
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,779
vCash: 7611
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
And I'm perfectly fine with that. I think we would be fine cutting Ballard, and then letting Raymond and Malhotra walk at the end of the season (or even including Raymond in the trade). That right there is almost $9M of cap savings (if Weiss re-signs for $5M/year). Considering we have to cut about $3.5M of cap space from our payroll right this minute, and accounting for Burrows's $2.5M raise, and Edler's anticipated $1.5M raise and adding a couple ELC's to our roster I think we'd be just fine. Would mean no Getzlaf/Perry, but we would still have a contending roster.
I'd be fine with Ballard leaving as well, that is if he doesn't prove himself this season. Can't really be having a 4M+ third pairing defensemen play average on the Canucks; we have other holes we need to fill, and need that cap. I'm perfectly fine with letting Raymond go, and think it's long overdue by now. Really, really hope Manny can gain his old form though. Regarding ELC's in our lineup, I think we could see a few next season, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If we acquire Weiss and are able to re-sign him at $5M/year, this realistically could be our roster for 2013-14:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($4.750m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,360,000; BONUSES: $310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $250,000
I could learn to love this roster. Little scared about Schroeder, but when he is flanked by Hansen and Higgins, and possibly protected minutes like Hodgson had, he could flourish.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:32 AM
  #412
SunshineRays
Registered User
 
SunshineRays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Sorry if this was posted already:

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Quote:
#Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"
Quote:
Assuming there is no trade, #Luongo says he'll fly to Van at the end of the week. Also said w/ the shortened season that "all bets are off"

SunshineRays is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 AM
  #413
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun

I expect Burke will ask Gillis to eat some of Luongo's contract. Burke got wish in CBA, which allows trade partners to split salaries.
Luongo's stock rises?

Luuuongo is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 AM
  #414
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 41,781
vCash: 500
With a 50 game season... Why the **** would we trade Luongo? Unless something ridiculous happens and Gillis gets offered something amazing, I cant see a trade happening.

I honestly am not expecting a trade right now.

parabola is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
  #415
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
Weiss would be a rental that I'd be willing to gamble on though, and he would certainly be better than a Bozak-centric deal from Toronto.
For a guy who has spent his entire pro career in Florida, winning may be enough of an enticement to resign in Vancouver.

The depth at centre is also not a given. Henrik is 3 years older than Weiss and Kesler, while a year younger has way more miles on his body. Kesler seems to finish every season banged up in one fashion or another. That doesn't bode well for longevity.

There is also the potential to move one player or another to the wing.

But I don't think Mike Gillis has to rush into any deal. With a shortened training camp, no preseason, a compressed schedule and every game being meaningful, we are one pulled groin away from either needing Luongo or getting a motivated deal.

LeftCoast is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 AM
  #416
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,178
vCash: 500
Weiss makes so much sense for the Canucks. Weiss Plus something for Luongo is also fair value.

I just don't see why Florida does it apart for Weiss bring a ufa at the end of the season. Hubs and Bugs will probably need time to adjust. Offensively they need him and in goal they can trial markstrom. Border things have happened. Maybe they send Markstrom ti Philly for good young C.
Luongo Couturier/schenn
For
Weiss(ufa to be), Markstrom, pick

me2 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 01:56 AM
  #417
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Luongo's stock rises?

Only if a static value is agreed to first. The ability to split salaries should alter the value beyond the originally agreed price, otherwise it's more about trying to fleece Gillis.


Burke's personality won't allow him to do a deal with Gillis.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
  #418
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
In any case, the situation regarding the Canucks and a possible Luongo trade seems to have brightened in the aftermath of the lockout, from what we've seen on TSN about the new provisions in the CBA. Exciting times ahead, don't you say?

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:14 AM
  #419
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
I think a lot of people are forgetting that Tyler Bozak is also a UFA at the end of the year...which makes him a near useless asset to acquire.

Would kill to get Weiss somehow (and with an extension), but wouldn't get our hopes too high.

timw33 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:17 AM
  #420
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.
 
Canadian Gold X3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
I agree, Weiss would most likely be ecstatic to play on a contendenr. Seeing as how he's been in Florida his whole career.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
  #421
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
I think Drop the Sopel makes a good point though nonetheless... as great as it would be to acquire Weiss, I don't really see why FLA would do it if they're looking to compete now. Even if they do trade him he probably won't be used as value to get Luongo - most likely it would be some other team with more young assets than we do.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
  #422
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If we acquire Weiss and are able to re-sign him at $5M/year, this realistically could be our roster for 2013-14:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($4.750m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,360,000; BONUSES: $310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $250,000
Now this is a cup contending second line. Although if booth still struggles again this year we could buy him out and put that 4 million to someone else or give it to jensen next year or kassian.

The way it is now though I look at our second line. Booth is a question mark, kesler is the only really strong player we have slotted there. And I would almost prefer to see him on the wing at times.

Now I am excited about weiss in the lineup but there is nothing saying he would even come here.

Just a pipe dream for now i suppose.

I guess I would also have to question if flordia would deal him. Even if he does not want to resign in flordia would flordia want to invest in lou right now? Or are they satisfied with goal tending now and in the future. Maybe to them weiss is a center they need this season yet, while next season huberdeau, and bjugstad might be ready. Although I also guess they would want to get an asset back at least for weiss if he does not want to resign. But they will pretty much admit defeat then this year with there center situation.


Last edited by Orca Smash: 01-08-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Orca Smash is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 AM
  #423
Timmy
Registered User
 
Timmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
With a 50 game season... Why the **** would we trade Luongo? Unless something ridiculous happens and Gillis gets offered something amazing, I cant see a trade happening.

I honestly am not expecting a trade right now.
Go tandem.

Win the Cup.

Listen to, "Well you had two franchise goalies, how could you lose?"

Timmy is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:29 AM
  #424
sewellda
Registered User
 
sewellda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Lets say we trade Luongo but retain some of his cap hit under the new CBA. Can we use an amnesty buyout on that portion of his contract?

sewellda is offline  
Old
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM
  #425
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Go tandem.

Win the Cup.

Listen to, "Well you had two franchise goalies, how could you lose?"
I'd take that over

"You had two franchise goalies and still lost LOLOLOL"

Any day.

Wilch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.