HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 7611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Weiss would essentially be a high end rental player unless he somehow manages to squeeze into the 2nd line:

Booth Weiss Kesler

Otherwise, I'm with you: Weiss is gone come FA day. Maybe flip his rights at the draft, but otherwise not much value other than making a strong push for this season to win it all.

With the age of our core, that's a potential way to go. But at the cost of the best goalie this franchise has ever had... that's a hell of a price to pay.
It's why you'd want Weiss+ (prospects), so we don't trade Luongo for just a rental.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
It's why you'd want Weiss+ (prospects), so we don't trade Luongo for just a rental.
I would request a day or so to talk to Weiss's agent regarding an extension before pulling the trigger too. Something around $25M/5 years sounds about right to me.

01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
ferroid

Weiss would be a rental that I'd be willing to gamble on though, and he would certainly be better than a Bozak-centric deal from Toronto.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would request a day or so to talk to Weiss's agent regarding an extension before pulling the trigger too. Something around $25M/5 years sounds about right to me.
That would be a good idea too. I haven't looked at our cap situation, but would we be able to re-sign Weiss, since we also have to re-sign Edler. I guess Ballard's days as a Canuck would be numbered.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
That would be a good idea too. I haven't looked at our cap situation, but would we be able to re-sign Weiss, since we also have to re-sign Edler. I guess Ballard's days as a Canuck would be numbered.
And I'm perfectly fine with that. I think we would be fine cutting Ballard, and then letting Raymond and Malhotra walk at the end of the season (or even including Raymond in the trade). That right there is almost $9M of cap savings (if Weiss re-signs for $5M/year). Considering we have to cut about $3.5M of cap space from our payroll right this minute, and accounting for Burrows's $2.5M raise, and Edler's anticipated $1.5M raise and adding a couple ELC's to our roster I think we'd be just fine. Would mean no Getzlaf/Perry, but we would still have a contending roster.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

Also, George Richards (Panthers reporter guy) stated Weiss has been tied to rumors with Van/Luongo. I have zero interest in Weiss as he's an upcoming UFA. Why would he want to re-sign with a team when he'll be the 3rd line C? Going from 1c to 3c isn't ideal for any player, now matter how good a team is.
Weiss wouldnt be the 3rd line C. He'd be the 2nd line C or a 2nd line W (which he's accustomed to playing).

Not sure if they could re-sign him but I'd rather have 4-6 months of Weiss over Kadri + Bozak.

It's not even a thought in my mind actually.

And like many have said, if they added it's a no brainer.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Weiss would essentially be a high end rental player unless he somehow manages to squeeze into the 2nd line:

Booth Weiss Kesler

Otherwise, I'm with you: Weiss is gone come FA day. Maybe flip his rights at the draft, but otherwise not much value other than making a strong push for this season to win it all.

With the age of our core, that's a potential way to go. But at the cost of the best goalie this franchise has ever had... that's a hell of a price to pay.
Ya, I guess he could flip to wing once Kesler comes back, but he's still a FA in 6 months who'll be looking for a raise on his current $3.1M cap hit. And the would have just traded their #1 goaltender for a guy who might walk in 6 months. It's a bust idea from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If the Canucks get Weiss, you can bet he'll be on the 2nd line, either at wing or with Kesler moving to wing.
Then they'll still be without a 3rd line C. And like I said above, Weiss could walk in 6 months. If he stays, he'll be looking for Booth type $$. They can't afford either to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Weiss wouldnt be the 3rd line C. He'd be the 2nd line C or a 2nd line W (which he's accustomed to playing).

Not sure if they could re-sign him but I'd rather have 4-6 months of Weiss over Kadri + Bozak.

Def not a no brainer to me. Zero interest in rental player for our #1 goaltender.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

More ice-time than Kadri would ever get on this team.

If he comes here, I just hope he doesn't try to re-sign for a really high cap hit or we'd be in trouble.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
And during that time that Burke holds off on pursuing Luongo because he thinks we'll have to buy him out, we'll trade him to Florida.

Well yeah, _if_ they're interested.

More I think about it, the more it seems Luongo has a real chance of being carried to the deadline. People will try to wait out Gillis.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:01 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

If we acquire Weiss and are able to re-sign him at $5M/year, this realistically could be our roster for 2013-14:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($4.750m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,360,000; BONUSES: $310,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $250,000

Old
01-08-2013, 01:07 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
And I'm perfectly fine with that. I think we would be fine cutting Ballard, and then letting Raymond and Malhotra walk at the end of the season (or even including Raymond in the trade). That right there is almost $9M of cap savings (if Weiss re-signs for $5M/year). Considering we have to cut about $3.5M of cap space from our payroll right this minute, and accounting for Burrows's $2.5M raise, and Edler's anticipated $1.5M raise and adding a couple ELC's to our roster I think we'd be just fine. Would mean no Getzlaf/Perry, but we would still have a contending roster.
I'd be fine with Ballard leaving as well, that is if he doesn't prove himself this season. Can't really be having a 4M+ third pairing defensemen play average on the Canucks; we have other holes we need to fill, and need that cap. I'm perfectly fine with letting Raymond go, and think it's long overdue by now. Really, really hope Manny can gain his old form though. Regarding ELC's in our lineup, I think we could see a few next season, no doubt.

Quote:
If we acquire Weiss and are able to re-sign him at $5M/year, this realistically could be our roster for 2013-14:

FORWARDS
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
I could learn to love this roster. Little scared about Schroeder, but when he is flanked by Hansen and Higgins, and possibly protected minutes like Hodgson had, he could flourish.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:32 AM
SunshineRays

Sorry if this was posted already:

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Quote:
#Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"
Quote:
Assuming there is no trade, #Luongo says he'll fly to Van at the end of the week. Also said w/ the shortened season that "all bets are off"

Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun

I expect Burke will ask Gillis to eat some of Luongo's contract. Burke got wish in CBA, which allows trade partners to split salaries.
Luongo's stock rises?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:38 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

With a 50 game season... Why the **** would we trade Luongo? Unless something ridiculous happens and Gillis gets offered something amazing, I cant see a trade happening.

I honestly am not expecting a trade right now.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
Weiss would be a rental that I'd be willing to gamble on though, and he would certainly be better than a Bozak-centric deal from Toronto.
For a guy who has spent his entire pro career in Florida, winning may be enough of an enticement to resign in Vancouver.

The depth at centre is also not a given. Henrik is 3 years older than Weiss and Kesler, while a year younger has way more miles on his body. Kesler seems to finish every season banged up in one fashion or another. That doesn't bode well for longevity.

There is also the potential to move one player or another to the wing.

But I don't think Mike Gillis has to rush into any deal. With a shortened training camp, no preseason, a compressed schedule and every game being meaningful, we are one pulled groin away from either needing Luongo or getting a motivated deal.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Weiss makes so much sense for the Canucks. Weiss Plus something for Luongo is also fair value.

I just don't see why Florida does it apart for Weiss bring a ufa at the end of the season. Hubs and Bugs will probably need time to adjust. Offensively they need him and in goal they can trial markstrom. Border things have happened. Maybe they send Markstrom ti Philly for good young C.
Luongo Couturier/schenn
For
Weiss(ufa to be), Markstrom, pick

Old
01-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Luongo's stock rises?

Only if a static value is agreed to first. The ability to split salaries should alter the value beyond the originally agreed price, otherwise it's more about trying to fleece Gillis.

Burke's personality won't allow him to do a deal with Gillis.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

In any case, the situation regarding the Canucks and a possible Luongo trade seems to have brightened in the aftermath of the lockout, from what we've seen on TSN about the new provisions in the CBA. Exciting times ahead, don't you say?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:14 AM
timw33

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Tyler Bozak is also a UFA at the end of the year...which makes him a near useless asset to acquire.

Would kill to get Weiss somehow (and with an extension), but wouldn't get our hopes too high.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

I agree, Weiss would most likely be ecstatic to play on a contendenr. Seeing as how he's been in Florida his whole career.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

I think Drop the Sopel makes a good point though nonetheless... as great as it would be to acquire Weiss, I don't really see why FLA would do it if they're looking to compete now. Even if they do trade him he probably won't be used as value to get Luongo - most likely it would be some other team with more young assets than we do.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:

FORWARDS
Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Derek Joslin ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
Now this is a cup contending second line. Although if booth still struggles again this year we could buy him out and put that 4 million to someone else or give it to jensen next year or kassian.

The way it is now though I look at our second line. Booth is a question mark, kesler is the only really strong player we have slotted there. And I would almost prefer to see him on the wing at times.

Now I am excited about weiss in the lineup but there is nothing saying he would even come here.

Just a pipe dream for now i suppose.

I guess I would also have to question if flordia would deal him. Even if he does not want to resign in flordia would flordia want to invest in lou right now? Or are they satisfied with goal tending now and in the future. Maybe to them weiss is a center they need this season yet, while next season huberdeau, and bjugstad might be ready. Although I also guess they would want to get an asset back at least for weiss if he does not want to resign. But they will pretty much admit defeat then this year with there center situation.

Last edited by Orca Smash: 01-08-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
With a 50 game season... Why the **** would we trade Luongo? Unless something ridiculous happens and Gillis gets offered something amazing, I cant see a trade happening.

I honestly am not expecting a trade right now.
Go tandem.

Win the Cup.

Listen to, "Well you had two franchise goalies, how could you lose?"

Old
01-08-2013, 02:29 AM
sewellda

Lets say we trade Luongo but retain some of his cap hit under the new CBA. Can we use an amnesty buyout on that portion of his contract?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Go tandem.

Win the Cup.

Listen to, "Well you had two franchise goalies, how could you lose?"
I'd take that over

"You had two franchise goalies and still lost LOLOLOL"