HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
tycobb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Alright I get you. I would be bummed if we traded Greene. Add Greene to Larsson, and Fayne.

I would consider Fayne, but I wouldn't be happy with him leaving unless he got us something that's in reality worth much more than he's really worth around the league.
I think Fayne is going to be a great defender. I don't think anyone besides me thinks that though.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
If Volch would waive...

I think:

Fayne-Greene
Sal-Zid
Tallinder-Larsson

could be pretty solid pairings. The first two gelled really well in the playoffs, at least.
Those aren't bad. Volch likely won't waive though so it will probably be Sal, and Larsson, and Zid, and Volch, Or possibly Sal, and Zid, and Volch, and Larsson.

NO Fayne, and Tallinder pairing though PLZ! The Fayne-Tallinder pairing was like the Boulton-Mills-Janssen unit of the defense. Not nearly as bad, but the worse pairing last year on D.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
I think Fayne is going to be a great defender. I don't think anyone besides me thinks that though.
I agree, and that's why I said he is off limits for me unless we get something in return that won't be worth it for the other team to trade to us just to pick up Fayne.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Canes fans were content with a Volchenkov-for-Jokinen swap, IIRC
I wouldn't trade Janssen for Jokinen. Jokinen is beyond awful.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Not sure if serious? Jokinen had 12 goals last year which is 4x the amount Janssen has in his whole career.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
HAHA! Good one.

Couldn't be any more beyond awful than Cam Janssen. Eric Boulton is the only player I can think of more beyond awful than Janssen. Even P3L wasn't as bad.

Let's be serious here.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
apice3*

If Jokinen plays 5 games this year, I bet he ends the season with more points than Janssen.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
If Jokinen plays 5 games this year, I bet he ends the season with more points than Janssen.
Agreed. Janssen should be in the AHL this year because he's on a two way. Sorry Cam I like you and all but blame Lou for signing Barch!

If we don't trade a D man when Henrique gets back, and Tedenby is impressing Cam will likely be the odd man out, and in Albany. I'm really praying.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Not sure if serious? Jokinen had 12 goals last year which is 4x the amount Janssen has in his whole career.
Guys, my dad is a life-long Rangers fan (yeah, I know, go figure) and I've seen plenty of Jokinen. Trust me, you wouldn't want him centering our 4th line. The guy is awful. The fact is he has the skill to be a 1st line center in this league, the problem is he is as brittle as glass and the biggest candy-ass in the league. If he actually worked hard he'd have 25-30 goals a year. If the NHL had a greatest underachiever award, he'd have a half-dozen of them.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I still remember when that Jackass#94 guy said Winnipeg will crush us this year cause they signed Jokinen this year! Jokinen's such a curse to playoff teams he was traded to the Rangers at the deadline that year they barely finished outside of 8th place.

Oh yeah we're talking Jussi Jokinen! I'd take either one over Janssen!

Wait a minute Tretyak. Are you talking about Olli? Jussi never played for the Rangers. I was thrown off by the comment about your dad being a lifelong Rangers fan.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
NjDevsRR

C'mon guys there are two Jokinens...stay on track.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Are you talking about Olli? Jussi never played for the Rangers. I was thrown off by the comment about your dad being a lifelong Rangers fan.
Yes. Olli Jokinen sucks beyond belief. Luckily Lou would never even think of trading an asset for him, so it's a moot point.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Yes. Olli Jokinen sucks beyond belief. Luckily Lou would never even think of trading an asset for him, so it's a moot point.
Are you talking about Olli or Jussi? Apice was talking about Jussi from Carolina. There's Jussi Jokinen from Carolina, and Olli who played for the Rangers, Flames, Panthers, and now the Jets.

I think you meant Olli cause you brought up your dad being a Rangers fan.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
apice3*

It doesn't even matter what Jokinen. Janssen is worse than both. Didn't Olli put up 60 points last year?

Old
01-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
It doesn't even matter what Jokinen. Janssen is worse than both. Didn't Olli put up 60 points last year?
Yeah he did put up 61 last year. I don't care for him much except for entertainment purposes like the moves like jagger video, and those gifs!

However they're better options than Janssen.

We haven't had a more lopsided trade than Janssen for Salvador. That was when Cam only had part of two seasons NHL experience, and before he was proven to be one of the most incompetent players in the NHL. We probably couldn't even get the 5th round pick we got for P3L, for Janssen right now.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:46 AM
apice3*

Hahaha I was a 16 year old kid that didn't fully understand the NHL at that point and thought we got ripped off in that trade.

A couple years later I realized I was a moron.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Hahaha I was a 16 year old kid that didn't fully understand the NHL at that point and thought we got ripped off in that trade.

A couple years later I realized I was a moron.
I was happy with it, and I actually liked Jam Canssen a lot more back then. Cause like I said it was before even I realized along with the rest of the NHL world, how he was one of the most incompetent players in the league.

If the league expands to 32 teams there will be a lot more of his kind, and I don't necessarily mean goons, I mean no skill goons. If there weren't 30 teams he would have no job. Mike Peluso, and Jim McKenzie were the goons of the old days, and made Janssen look like guys I've skated with.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
apice3*

Not a fan of expansion unless they put the teams in pre-existing hockey markets, like Toronto, Quebec, etc. I don't think there would be more Janssen's if we expand though. The league has evolved to the point where players of his breed are rare. I feel like we would see a lot more guys like our 4th line. Scrappy guys who will drop the gloves against lightweights, and need to fight every inch to get a goal. Plenty of guys like that in the AHL and overseas that don't get the opportunity because of limited spots.

I don't think we'll see expansion for a while though. By that point, I think the no talent goon will be completely wiped from the game. I mean, how many even exist now? 10 at most.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Not a fan of expansion unless they put the teams in pre-existing hockey markets, like Toronto, Quebec, etc. I don't think there would be more Janssen's if we expand though. The league has evolved to the point where players of his breed are rare. I feel like we would see a lot more guys like our 4th line. Scrappy guys who will drop the gloves against lightweights, and need to fight every inch to get a goal. Plenty of guys like that in the AHL and overseas that don't get the opportunity because of limited spots.

I don't think we'll see expansion for a while though. By that point, I think the no talent goon will be completely wiped from the game. I mean, how many even exist now? 10 at most.
I remember listening to Holik's podcast last year, and how expansion has diluted the talent pool, and gave more jobs to lesser players. And how there's a few players around that wouldn't be here if there weren't 30 teams. I thought about, and Janssen was the first one that came to mind. Not so much cause he's a goon as much as he's a terrible, dumb player that can't even take a responsible shift.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:42 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
If Detroit values him so much how come he only had 14:31 ATOI? Helm is ranked 10th out of the forwards on his team in Off Zone Start% and 10th in quality of competition. Detroit did lose their #1 D who played 23:46 minutes this off-season.
Because he's an elite bottom-6 grinder. That may sound oxymoronic, but that's all he is. They won't play him 20 minutes a night because he most likely doesn't have the capacity to. But he's valued so highly because of what he does with his playing time. He doesn't take a second off on any shift.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Flame Demers*

trade 2d+1f for a good F

Flame Demers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Demers View Post
trade 2d+1f for a good F
solid proposal, but i think they need to add. how about 2d+1f for a good F and a semi-decent bj?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Flame Demers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
solid proposal, but i think they need to add. how about 2d+1f for a good F and a semi-decent bj?
whatever you want to spin it. Need to get a Forward. have too many D. any kind of "job" is bonus

Flame Demers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Josh Rimmer just giggled inexplicably.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

Tarasenko is a winger
Tarasenko <3 Kovy

Close enough. Do it Dean

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote