HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos

Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
If Glass spends anytime on Geno's line, Byslma's officially lost it. I more than willing to write off that suggestion to Rossi being Rossi. That's the equivalent of putting Adams on Sid's line. I honestly cannot believe that Rossi would even write/say that. Bylsma most of been trolling him or something.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
If Rob Rossi is to be believed the main candidates to play with Malkin and Neal are Cooke, Kennedy and Glass?!?
(John McClane)Glass? Who gives a **** about glass? Who the **** is this?(/John McClane)

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's a no brainer to have Geno's LW be the question mark going into this season. Cooke can certainly be a stopgap. Glass in certain situations. I like the idea of moving Sutter up occasionally especially if he's winning draws.

Tangradi is going to have his chance to fill a top 9 spot. If he doesn't, he's done here.
Yeah I thought the most interesting quote from that article was Bylsma saying this:

Quote:
“I also feel like I wouldn‘t anchor (new acquisition Brandon) Sutter to that third-line center position,” Bylsma said. “If he is winning a lot of the right-hand draws he could conceivably go take the draw and be on Geno‘s line."
I expect Sutter to spend most of his time as the 3rd line pivot but I'd love to see him get some time with Geno and Neal.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I see both sides to the argument, but it really is tough to see what you have in Tangradi without him getting a look with better players. It's a catch 22 though, because he may not be able to handle the added responsibility, especially defensively.

I don't think he'll ever produce much on a line with guys like Vitale and Adams though, because his game is predicated on dishing the puck and driving the net. When you do that with Adams, he's just going to throw the puck around the boards.

He's kind of stuck in limbo at this point. I don't really know what to do with him.
If he can not separate himself from his current linemates (in a good way), what makes you (or anyone) think he will magically morph into a scoring butterfly once given an elite centerman that does all the work for him? Yes, he's big and tall (so is Big Mac). Is he a top 6 NHLer, he has yet to prove that. I don't think it is a catch 22. It is only a catch 22 if you assume he is a top 6 NHL player without him demonstrating it.

How is he going to earn a spot on the Pen's roster? Offensively, with his .5 ppg in the AHL as 23yo? or defensively with his team worst -9? I just don't see his "angle" onto this team's top 6 roster unless he starts doing something significantly different.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
If Glass spends anytime on Geno's line, Byslma's officially lost it. I more than willing to write off that suggestion to Rossi being Rossi. That's the equivalent of putting Adams on Sid's line. I honestly cannot believe that Rossi would even write/say that. Bylsma most of been trolling him or something.
Bylsma was (fingers crossed) releasing misinformation to determine the leak inside his operation. Consider it dealt with.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
(John McClane)Glass? Who gives a **** about glass? Who the **** is this?(/John McClane)

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
We might have a Glass - Joe - Mac line some time at least...

if vitale plays with Glass is that the punsh out line?

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I want to fight the guy Glass Joe beat down...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
AgentM

How much more important will a top backup be this year with a condensed schedule? If Vokoun is back to form that signing could really pay off this season.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
If he can not separate himself from his current linemates (in a good way), what makes you (or anyone) think he will magically morph into a scoring butterfly once given an elite centerman that does all the work for him? Yes, he's big and tall (so is Big Mac). Is he a top 6 NHLer, he has yet to prove that. I don't think it is a catch 22. It is only a catch 22 if you assume he is a top 6 NHL player without him demonstrating it.

How is he going to earn a spot on the Pen's roster? Offensively, with his .5 ppg in the AHL as 23yo? or defensively with his team worst -9? I just don't see his "angle" onto this team's top 6 roster unless he starts doing something significantly different.
He's not going to morph into an offensive butterfly, maybe a 35-40 point guy if everything went perfectly. But the point is, he's not going to produce on the 4th line because his style of play doesn't work with guys who are going to dump pucks instead of getting shots on goal. At the same time, he hasn't shown the responsibility to get a top 6 chance. That's why it's a catch 22. Not because he's some magical automatic top sixer, but because he likely won't produce without the opportunity that he hasn't earned.

I've already stated in this thread that I've been very disappointed in his play this year, so I'm not sure why you're getting pissy about it.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's not going to morph into an offensive butterfly, maybe a 35-40 point guy if everything went perfectly. But the point is, he's not going to produce on the 4th line because his style of play doesn't work with guys who are going to dump pucks instead of getting shots on goal. At the same time, he hasn't shown the responsibility to get a top 6 chance. That's why it's a catch 22. Not because he's some magical automatic top sixer, but because he likely won't produce without the opportunity that he hasn't earned.

I've already stated in this thread that I've been very disappointed in his play this year, so I'm not sure why you're getting pissy about it.
I apologize if you thought I was getting pissy. Certainly wasn't my intention to offend.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I apologize if you thought I was getting pissy. Certainly wasn't my intention to offend.
No big deal.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Can you feel the love?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
If we're using Cooke as a stopgap in the top 6 I'd rather see him on Crosby's line. We have Kennedy, Tangradi, Sutter, Cooke, Jeffrey, and possibly Bennett to work with. Just throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks.
And who is on the other wing? Dupuis? So we'd saddle Crosby with two pluggers, and put Kunitz with Malkin and Neal instead?

Unless Shero brings in another legitimate top six winger between now and the start of the season, Kunitz and Dupuis should be flanking Crosby, with the rest of the forwards vying for that final spot on the Malkin/Neal line.

I know Crosby's good, but God damn it, can we stop just playing him with whatever crap we can find just because Sid can produce even with two cripples on his wing?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:53 AM
TheGoldenJet

My crack at the forwards:

Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jeffrey-Sutter-Kennedy
Cooke-Vitale-Adams
Bennett

Hopefully either Tangradi or Jeffrey can take over the wing role with Malkin. Neither Cooke nor Kennedy have the tools to be effective there. The former two have some potential at least.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
PMF06

I prefer Jeffrey over Tangradi for the final top 6 spot. It's all academic though if we can't fix up our defence. Unless Crosby and Malkin simultaneously go into beast/god mode come playoff time I don't see us winning the Stanley Cup with our current defence.

PMF06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:41 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Time to say goodbye to useless Adams & Dupuis.

Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey
Bennett/Tangradi/Jeffrey-Sutter-Kennedy
Cooke-Vitale-Glass

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post

Cooke-Vitale-Glass

You what with the what now?

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Antaris: 01-08-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
wej20

Quote:

Cooke-Vitale-Glass
Did you forget that this happened?

Quote:
Dupuis concluded the regular season on a 17-game point streak by scoring a goal in a 4-2 win over Philadelphia on Saturday.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
If Rob Rossi is to be believed the main candidates to play with Malkin and Neal are Cooke, Kennedy and Glass?!?
Don't listen to Rossi, he made that **** up. He has quotes in there about specific things but not the Kennedy, Cooke, Glass comment so Rossi took liberties to add that in there. Someone probably asked if Glass was a possibility and Bylsma probably said "I could envision in certain situations, when we have the lead, that Glass could play with Neal and Malkin". That would be Bylsma speak for "I don't really want to tell you guys anything". There is no way Tanner Glass has a shot at a regular top 6 role with Malkin.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
And who is on the other wing? Dupuis? So we'd saddle Crosby with two pluggers, and put Kunitz with Malkin and Neal instead?

Unless Shero brings in another legitimate top six winger between now and the start of the season, Kunitz and Dupuis should be flanking Crosby, with the rest of the forwards vying for that final spot on the Malkin/Neal line.

I know Crosby's good, but God damn it, can we stop just playing him with whatever crap we can find just because Sid can produce even with two cripples on his wing?
I think with Staal gone Shero's top priority is to find Crosby a winger.

While he has to sign Letang and Malkin, Shero has the advantage of knowing next year's cap and that he can buyout Martin if need be (which I doubt happens).

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I thought Bylsma officially lost it when he thought it would be a good idea to have Geno get used to a full time transition to wing by putting Tangradi on the other wing and Mr Duff at center.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Cooke-Vitale-Glass
do you suggest keeping kennedy and cooke while dumping Dupuis? am I reading that right?

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:24 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I think with Staal gone Shero's top priority is to find Crosby a winger.

While he has to sign Letang and Malkin, Shero has the advantage of knowing next year's cap and that he can buyout Martin if need be (which I doubt happens).
I think Shero's top priority with Staal gone SHOULD be to put both Sid and Geno out there with two good wingers each. Both obviously don't need to be/can't be top end.

Said it before, will keep saying it all year: A guy like Iginla even with Sid and Kunitz, a guy like Kumy with Malkin and Neal, with a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Duper will make a lot of my questions about the defense and Fluery go away. Sid and Geno are the Pens advantage. Time to exploit it. Don't mitigate it with the Tyler Kennedy's (or even Duper's) of this world, and don't eliminate it by giving one two good players and leaving the other without help to exploit the advantage (like Sid last year, when the Flyers completely sold out on the Geno line).

Old
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
KIRK

QUESTION:

I have not watched a lot of WBS this year and thus really have seen next to nothing of Bennett.

On the one hand, I'm hearing stuff about the skill, and I read what Bomboulie (a guy not given to wanton praise) tweets . . .

On the other hand, the kid has had his share of injuries, and you worry about him being physically ready . . .

Would you open the season with Bennett and give him a shot with #71 and #18?

Personally, I always saw him as a better prospective fit, given the lack of physicality, with #87 and #14, but I'm guessing that the open spot in the top six is with Geno and Neal.