HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a really odd stat about the oilers

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
a really odd stat about the oilers

I was doing a little research to see who could use a guy like laraque. IMO, he is being wasted in edmonton because the building will be full with or without him. He would be a great asset for a team trying to put butts in the seat. Teams like carolina, chicago, and even pittsburgh would be very wise to invest in him as he only has to draw an extra couple hundred fans per game to cover his wages

Anyways, I go to espn.com and found a really interesting stat. The oilers are the 3rd best road team draw in the league. They are behind only Detroit and Vancouver. I am not sure what to make of that.

Have there been a lot of "Guarantteed Win" nights that nobody told me about or do fans really like watching them?

Old
12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I was doing a little research to see who could use a guy like laraque. IMO, he is being wasted in edmonton because the building will be full with or without him. He would be a great asset for a team trying to put butts in the seat. Teams like carolina, chicago, and even pittsburgh would be very wise to invest in him as he only has to draw an extra couple hundred fans per game to cover his wages

Anyways, I go to espn.com and found a really interesting stat. The oilers are the 3rd best road team draw in the league. They are behind only Detroit and Vancouver. I am not sure what to make of that.

Have there been a lot of "Guarantteed Win" nights that nobody told me about or do fans really like watching them?
Hmmm... Maybe it's because everybody likes to play the Oilers. Or it's exciting hockey.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Random Guess...

How many games have the Oilers played in buildings that don't traditionally sell out?

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Oilers have played most of their road games so far in arenas where there is typically a lot of fan support.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Yosemite Sam

Well, the Oilers are known to play a "fun" style of game, something that has been sorely lacking in the league for years.

Don Cherry even plugged the Oilers a few weeks ago. Maybe somebody was actually paying attention.

Old
12-11-2003, 01:58 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Random Guess...

How many games have the Oilers played in buildings that don't traditionally sell out?

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Oilers have played most of their road games so far in arenas where there is typically a lot of fan support.
That's a pretty good random guess, dawgbone.

The attendance figures for the team's they've played against on the road ... they average over 96% capacity on the whole. And 93.4% capacity when the Oilers are in town.

Not be be a bummer. Heck, I think the Oilers are one of the most entertaining teams in the league ... but its just a coincidence I'm afraid.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:08 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
That's a pretty good random guess, dawgbone.

The attendance figures for the team's they've played against on the road ... they average over 96% capacity on the whole. And 93.4% capacity when the Oilers are in town.

Not be be a bummer. Heck, I think the Oilers are one of the most entertaining teams in the league ... but its just a coincidence I'm afraid.
Sweeeeeet!

What's my prize?

I just did a quick run through of every game I could remember the Oilers playing on the road, and these ones popped into my head:

Vancouver, Colorado, Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, New York and Minnesota.

The only one I could remember that they played in that doesn't sell out all the time anymore was Boston.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Mr Sakich

as usual igor, you have brought some sanity to the table. I knew that it seemed odd that the oil were the 3rd best road draw. I would think that many southern states would have little clue / incentive to make the oilers game the one must see game of the year.

Closed Thread