HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New CBA will mix things up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
  #1
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,142
vCash: 500
New CBA will mix things up

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...re-cba-details

Really, really nice (and complicated) changes coming to the NHL. The new trading scenarios should open things up more. I also like the "interview" period. Gives teams a chance to sell themselves, and gives the players a chance to shop around.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:39 AM
  #2
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,456
vCash: 500
If we can retain 50% of salaries on a trade, could we possibly find a sucker to take Gomez for half of his?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
  #3
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
If we can retain 50% of salaries on a trade, could we possibly find a sucker to take Gomez for half of his?
Why would u want to do this when we can just buy him out at the end of the season?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:53 AM
  #4
Impossible Glory
Registered User
 
Impossible Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Shore
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Some very interesting things are coming out of this lockout, after all. At least we didn't lost half a year of hockey for nothing (even if I would really like to have those games back.

I really like the "retaining salary" clause when trading players. We should finally see more actions on the trade front, which is always fun to see.

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:57 AM
  #5
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why would u want to do this when we can just buy him out at the end of the season?
To possibly receive an asset? It would be something to look at anyway.

I have to say I like all these new rules in the article, especially the Luongo rule.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:58 AM
  #6
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Why would u want to do this when we can just buy him out at the end of the season?
Because I don't want him around this season.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
  #7
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Because I don't want him around this season.
It's a deeeep draft

habfaninvictoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:34 AM
  #8
Viggo Mortensen
Registered User
 
Viggo Mortensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gondor
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
If I read correctly, under this change, we could see something like:

Trading Gomez to a team with a low budget and internal cap while retaining 5mil in salary. (10mil left on his contract)

Habs gain a potential asset (bag of pucks), save 5mil $, free 7,35mil cap space
Team X has 7,35mil more to reach the cap floor while paying him only 5mil for the next 2 seasons

Its also better for Molson's pockets than the compliance buyout next summer

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:31 AM
  #9
billy piton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
i really hate to see this. trading cap space, wtf?

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:14 AM
  #10
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
i really hate to see this. trading cap space, wtf?

Wasn't that Brian Burke´s idea to begin with?
I guess this wont increase parity in the league, at least not in a short perspective.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:55 AM
  #11
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Wasn't that Brian Burke´s idea to begin with?
I guess this wont increase parity in the league, at least not in a short perspective.
It could potentially help parity.

Say the Panthers aren't willing to get Komisarek at 4.5m, but are okay to get him in a deal if the Leafs pay half his salary... Komisarek could potentially rebound and be good for the Panthers while not being overly expensive.

Also, don't forget that a rich team trading away cap space will have equally as much of their cap space used for NO player. Just dead cap weight, if that make sense. That doesn't help them get better. They'll just get a replacement player for cheaper. Doesn't mean they'll get better.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
  #12
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
i really hate to see this. trading cap space, wtf?
It makes trades more possible and that's always better for a sport.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 AM
  #13
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quite happy with this.

Canadiens fans should be also thanking Gainey and Gauthier, who didn't sign any ridiculous cap circumventing contracts that could kick the team in the butt now.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:13 AM
  #14
Ghetto Sangria
The implication
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
It could potentially help parity.

Say the Panthers aren't willing to get Komisarek at 4.5m, but are okay to get him in a deal if the Leafs pay half his salary... Komisarek could potentially rebound and be good for the Panthers while not being overly expensive.

Also, don't forget that a rich team trading away cap space will have equally as much of their cap space used for NO player. Just dead cap weight, if that make sense. That doesn't help them get better. They'll just get a replacement player for cheaper. Doesn't mean they'll get better.
agreed here. This will only help both teams involved, while making it possible for even more trades! I must say I really like these rules. I think it will really help the sport. Those who have the money to go to the cap ceiling and beyond have ways of putting their extra money to good use, and those clubs with not a lot of money have more ways of acquiring players for lesser money.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
  #15
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,266
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Quite happy with this.

Canadiens fans should be also thanking Gainey and Gauthier, who didn't sign any ridiculous cap circumventing contracts that could kick the team in the butt now.
Good one!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:07 AM
  #16
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Retaining cap space/salary helps big market teams like the Habs. There's enough elements in the new CBA to promote parity in the league, I don't know why any Habs fan wouldn't be happy with this.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
  #17
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
We're lucky if we get anything close to an asset for Gomez. The new CBA would make him easier to trade financially, but it's still Scott Gomez, the guy who didn't score a goal in a year.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  #18
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
I see it as teams we sell allot more players near the deadline. The player that UFA at the end of the season you can ship out with 50% less cap. For example Markov next years if we be out of playoffs you could trade with a team that only has 3 mil cap space left. There going to be much more moment at the deadline now, prices will drop too I guess.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
  #19
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
I don't know if people took time to read the part about front loaded contracts, but the GMs some thought were geniuses for getting low cap hits are now in line for some major headaches if those players retire before the end of their contracts, whether they are traded or not.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #20
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
If ever Kovalchuk decides to want out of NJ the team that will get him will get an excellent player for 3 Million... I like this new rule.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #21
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Quite happy with this.

Canadiens fans should be also thanking Gainey and Gauthier, who didn't sign any ridiculous cap circumventing contracts that could kick the team in the butt now.
youre right , they only traded for Gomez and Kaberle...

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
  #22
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team"

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  #23
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team"

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?
Yeah, but we'd also have to pay cap penalties if he retires (not for health reasons) before the end of his contract. TB would be paying the biggest cap load on those remaining retirement years, but Habs would also be penalized. By how much, we can't really tell unless we know how many years will be left on the contract when he does retire.

From the article :
" If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal. "

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  #24
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team"

Lecavalier at $4M/year ?
I would take him at 4 Mill a year. Question is, is it his 8 mill that counts against the cap or is it 4 Mill. If it is 4 then we could trade DD + something else for him. He would look pretty good centering the second line.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  #25
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, but we'd also have to pay cap penalties if he retires (not for health reasons) before the end of his contract. TB would be paying the biggest cap load on those remaining retirement years, but Habs would also be penalized. By how much, we can't really tell unless we know how many years will be left on the contract when he does retire.

From the article :
" If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal. "
I'm pretty sure zzoo meant Tampa buying him out first... could be wrong though. Could make more sense for them to trade him for and take on half his salary... They're basically equivalent options in my mind for them: buy out costs more money, but the trade costs cap space (and some money) for a while.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.