HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Sign Subban

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Bobby Clarke will never let this happen.
No crap. Just pointing out the homerism of certain fans claiming that they wouldn't trade Subban for a top 10 center in the game.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
If you can get a superstar like Giroux for Subban when we have an abundance of D in the pipeline and a lack of centers....you do it. Short term pain for long term gain.
we don't have an abundance of defensemen in the pipeline. we have tinordi, beaulieu who could possibly become top 4 defensemen though neither is expected to play a top-2 role, and a bunch of long shots.

at center, we have 3 good centers right now, leblanc is you believe his future lies at center, plus this dude named galchenyuk.

what the habs need at the moment are top 6 wingers, and top 4 defensemen. bonus points if they are defensive minded

all of which is to say that the flyers would never trade giroux so there's no point in even discussing it

Old
01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Joe Cole

Regarding PK, you have three camps.

1- journalists who say he is a cancer, and wants out (Tremblay this AM)

2- players with snarky comments like Gionta's.

3- PK himself, who has said that he wants to be here repeatedly

Journalists...they are paid to stir up emotions in their readership. They bring nothing to the party, no inside information, no real analysis, just rumor mongering, like fat old wives who talk behind the good looking new female neighbor's back.

Players who make tongue in cheek comments about PK. I hope this is brotherly love, just poking fun. If not, shut the f-up. PK plays 25 minutes a game and is the standout on D, if not the team in his second year. What are you bringing to the party? Holy insecurities, Batman.

PK himself, either he is being honest and is just a "always on" kind of guy, or he is a huge hypocrite and and a-hole. Until he is PROVEN to be a huge liar/salesman, I think it is cynical and small to think of him being anything but honest and high strung.

Fans can choose whoever camp they want to be part of.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Regarding PK, you have three camps.

1- journalists who say he is a cancer, and wants out (Tremblay this AM)

2- players with snarky comments like Gionta's.

3- PK himself, who has said that he wants to be here repeatedly

Journalists...they are paid to stir up emotions in their readership. They bring nothing to the party, no inside information, no real analysis, just rumor mongering, like fat old wives who talk behind the good looking new female neighbor's back.

Players who make tongue in cheek comments about PK. I hope this is brotherly love, just poking fun. If not, shut the f-up. PK plays 25 minutes a game and is the standout on D, if not the team in his second year. What are you bringing to the party? Holy insecurities, Batman.

PK himself, either he is being honest and is just a "always on" kind of guy, or he is a huge hypocrite and and a-hole. Until he is PROVEN to be a huge liar/salesman, I think it is cynical and small to think of him being anything but honest and high strung.

Fans can choose whoever camp they want to be part of.
1- I thought Journalists were supposed to report facts. Nobody cares about their opinion, and they should remain neutral. But RJ is a columnist, so he can dish out his opinion, I just don't understand how it's still the same old clique of farts. Where are the younger guys with fresher views and opinions?? Who even listens to these old farts anymore?

2- Gionta's comment seemed odd to me. Not sure what he was trying to say there. It caught me by surprise because he's the Captain. He's supposed to be reaching out to the players, not the other way around. So, I didn't get it when he said he didn't hear from PK in months. Pick up the phone and call him, that's your responsibility as the #1 Leader of this team. I also know for a fact that PK has been in (and probably out of) Mtl since the end of last year. I've seen him numerous times down town going as far back as the summer and as recently as december. So where has Gionta been if he didn't even manage to speak to PK who actually HAS BEEN IN MTL??..

3- PK has been a fan of Mtl since being a kid because of his pops. It's been a dream come true for him and his family. So I have a hard time believing he's just shooting up smoke here. I'm sure he really wants to stay here.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
1- I thought Journalists were supposed to report facts. Nobody cares about their opinion, and they should remain neutral. But RJ is a columnist, so he can dish out his opinion, I just don't understand how it's still the same old clique of farts. Where are the younger guys with fresher views and opinions?? Who even listens to these old farts anymore?

2- Gionta's comment seemed odd to me. Not sure what he was trying to say there. It caught me by surprise because he's the Captain. He's supposed to be reaching out to the players, not the other way around. So, I didn't get it when he said he didn't hear from PK in months. Pick up the phone and call him, that's your responsibility as the #1 Leader of this team. I also know for a fact that PK has been in (and probably out of) Mtl since the end of last year. I've seen him numerous times down town going as far back as the summer and as recently as december. So where has Gionta been if he didn't even manage to speak to PK who actually HAS BEEN IN MTL??..

3- PK has been a fan of Mtl since being a kid because of his pops. It's been a dream come true for him and his family. So I have a hard time believing he's just shooting up smoke here. I'm sure he really wants to stay here.
Gionta's comment has to be a joke... I don't see it any other way.

As for journalists, you're right, most of them are good. People give way too much attention to columnists (which aren't journalists). Everyone agrees Tremblay sucks, so let's stop talking about him.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
NJHABSFAN

Sign him already !!!! Get it done !!!!!

Old
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHABSFAN View Post
Sign him already !!!! Get it done !!!!!
He can't right now until the CBA gets approved no deals can get done around the league

Old
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

what did Gionta say and when?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
what did Gionta say and when?
http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=53&videoID=118102

Old
01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

2- Gionta's comment seemed odd to me. Not sure what he was trying to say there. It caught me by surprise because he's the Captain.

I like your post.

The line between journalist and columnist has been blurred beyond the clear distinction you made. Every guy who has ever played a game in pee-wee thinks that his opinion/spin on "facts" is worth sharing. Either it is blatant, or it is nuanced through facial gestures. I mean, even Chantal Maccabée gives her 2 cents on the Habs.... right?

Regarding the captaincy...I think the role is romanitized nowadays. I sadly think the days of the "rassembler" are behind us. But I agree with you, why wasn't it Gionta's responsibility to reach out? That would have been a great follow up question in the media scrum.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Le depisteur

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens...subban-8012013

Old
01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
As for journalists, you're right, most of them are good. .

Which journalists do you think are good?

Do they only report facts?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Which journalists do you think are good?

Do they only report facts?
Just to name a few, MAG, Labbé, Lavoie, Chaumont, Lefrançois.

Yes, they do. They don't have any "hidden agenda". The journalists hate is way overblown. There are a few guys who have too much attention when they shouldn't, like Morissette and Tremblay, but they aren't journalists.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Jigger77

The thing is I've learned to realize over the years about "journalists" or columnists or what have you (Bertrand Raymond, Tremblay, Tony Marinaro etc) is they feed an audience in Quebec that (unfortunately) predominantly likes hockey for the soap opera factor. They feed on controversy, and love that reality TV stuff etc. Call it the lance et compte syndrome if you will. You just have to ignore it and get your actual hockey info elsewhere.

And to touch on what was said above, the good ones aren't the ones who stand out.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:07 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:

Yes, they do. They don't have any "hidden agenda". The journalists hate is way overblown. There are a few guys who have too much attention when they shouldn't, like Morissette and Tremblay, but they aren't journalists.
This... and don't understand why Morissette has a t.v show...

Old
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
ClasslessGuy

I think Subban would come to camp even if he didn't sign his dcontract yet. He doesn't want to create a media sh*tstorm

Old
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:

I do not agree that all the guys you mention do not share their opinion in their reports.

That said, I do not think it is a hidden agenda, but they read the public sentiment, most innocently sub-consciously, but more likely by design, and slant their reports in a certain way.

They give people the news, they way the public wants to get it, not the way it is.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
I think Subban would come to camp even if he didn't sign his dcontract yet. He doesn't want to create a media sh*tstorm
I'm pretty sure that would be a first in today's NHL. So I seriously doubt that happens. But I'd love to see it.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
I do not agree that all the guys you mention do not share their opinion in their reports.

That said, I do not think it is a hidden agenda, but they read the public sentiment, most innocently sub-consciously, but more likely by design, and slant their reports in a certain way.

They give people the news, they way the public wants to get it, not the way it is.
Of course, most journalist might make a few comments, when an article is signed under their name. Nothing wrong with that.

What you dont wan't is an article from, let's say, RDS that is not signed and has opinions.

I don't think the journalists I've noted have done anything wrong in their articles. They never try to stir **** or anything.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Of course, most journalist might make a few comments, when an article is signed under their name. Nothing wrong with that.

What you dont wan't is an article from, let's say, RDS that is not signed and has opinions.

I don't think the journalists I've noted have done anything wrong in their articles. They never try to stir **** or anything.

They are not the biggest pot stirrers, agreed. But they do feed that public fire....they know where the bread is buttered.

You know, it is good to talk hockey again, eh? I cannot wait until there is some on ice action to really get going!

Old
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
They are not the biggest pot stirrers, agreed. But they do feed that public fire....they know where the bread is buttered.

You know, it is good to talk hockey again, eh? I cannot wait until there is some on ice action to really get going!
All in all it depends where you take your info from.

A journalist from TVA Sports doesn't have the same boundaries as a journalist from RDS.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Danleri

If Bergevin can't find a way to bridge the gap with Subban, there won't be enough face palms in the world. Future #1 defence men and one of the faces of the franchise.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
All in all it depends where you take your info from.

A journalist from TVA Sports doesn't have the same boundaries as a journalist from RDS.
Yeah, rights holders...

But most of these guys are just hanging on to their livings...they do what they need to do.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Pk is doing what is best for PK, not the HABS, or he would already be signed. Plain and simple. Super cool his daddy is a Habs fan but what does that have to do with the fact he's not signed? Agrue away, but the fact is he wanted to see what the new CBA would get him. I would do the same but please realize PK understands he is an asset so should the owners. Push came to shove? I'd pich him heavily to NYR.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Pk is doing what is best for PK, not the HABS, or he would already be signed. Plain and simple. Super cool his daddy is a Habs fan but what does that have to do with the fact he's not signed? Agrue away, but the fact is he wanted to see what the new CBA would get him. I would do the same but please realize PK understands he is an asset so should the owners. Push came to shove? I'd pich him heavily to NYR.
In a fantasy world, all of these guys would play the amount of games, and the level of physicality we expect from the NHL for the love of it, and not for money. The same fantasy world would have the owners pay for the fans to come and see the teams play.

If you do not see Subban as the type of player that you build around, and just send him off to another team, then I believe you are not building towards something, just against something.

Closed Thread